IMG_1197 (resized).jpg
IMG_1196 (resized).jpg
IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 67.
#251 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

How many moving toys on this machine were there compared to now? (Let's give original spinning disk a weight of 3 and now 1). Ship=1, trunk from 1 to 0, anything else?

There's the ship which is a huge interactive toy, easily the most interactive mini playfield ever made, with a rocking playfield, canon that interacts with a lockdown bar button, shoots to a stationary ship across the playfield that recognizes different types of hits, and even has mini LED lit lamp posts. If we stopped there POTC already has more going on it then most pins.

There's also the "Tortuga Tom" spinning pirate, there's a magnet under the mode start area, two seperate subways (something about 5 entrances), Maelstrom ramp with hole and divertor, camera in the back box, mini outlane save areas plus all of the games molds, and now the big spinning disk. There's still a ton going on in JJP's POTC even with the new disk but it still is a big loss seeing that it was a main feature on the game.

#252 6 years ago
Quoted from Mr-Worf:

If Stern does it right now and looks back on quality, they will sell much more than JJP.
I think the Iron Maiden ust has gotten really good and has reinstalled metal ramps.
Here you could have fun with the Pro for less money. If you sell Pro again it will be more tolerable because it is not that high.

Let me be the first to inform you that, Stern, sells much more than JJP.

#253 6 years ago

Disappointing from many perspectives but from a support and ultimate user experience perspective likely the best choices.

That said the artwork in the disk area really needs work. It might even be better just leaving the artwork as it was (but removing words and lights, etc) similar to what is shown below or even just replacing with the compass style design would be much better than what was shown.
disk-maokunmap (resized).pngdisk-maokunmap (resized).png
disk-compass (resized).pngdisk-compass (resized).png
I still look forward to playing this...

#254 6 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I can totally understand people’s disappointment. And JJP really shouldn’t release a game until they know what they’ve got. But let’s not just assume the game sucks now.
Remember STLE? I personally thought the coolest feature in the game was the catapult kicker that was to shoot the ball from the lower left side of the playfield up to the upper right flipper. But guess what? Before the game shipped Stern removed the feature because they couldn’t get it to work. Not sure why, since Fish Tales had that feature 20 years earlier, and so did MM. I guess Gary and Steve and all the other folks at Stern just couldn’t figure it out, so they put in a garden variety vertical upkicker instead, that was not just uninspired -oh, let’s have it feed the left flipper via the i lane - but added absolutely zero to the game. At least STLE had the tinfoil to make up for it.
And speaking of Stern, they aren’t exactly brilliant or innovative in their toy output. The trunk in Aerosmith is cool, but outside of that, they haven’t done much of anything since the Ironmonger.
I hope JJP overcomes this setback. And I also hope they offer a lower price point machine at some point. I’m out at $8k, spinning discs or no spinning discs.

Overcomes this setback you need to hope JJP can stay afloat at these prices many are jumping ship

#255 6 years ago

So how hard is to properly engineer an opening trunk? Houdini did it, and theirs gets the shit bashed out of it by flying balls. It would seem that there has to be a way to make the spinning disk work properly, and there are probably plenty of people on this site that could send you in the proper direction. The spinning pizza sucks in every way, and not even any proper lighting under or around it with slots allowing RGB lighting to show through?

Not a good move Jack.

#256 6 years ago

they should use the outher ring spinner and not a disk in the middle, the chest wonders me more why not? find a way JJP!

#257 6 years ago

the best options for me are those two

- made a video lcd under playfield (alien/acdc like) to show the 3 spinning disk, no loss, no noise, the best replacement to not lose everything
- the second should to redrawn the entire lower playfield to make this pizza go away

#258 6 years ago

Stern POTC had a spinning compass disc...

#259 6 years ago

I have to re-watch all 5 movies but there must be a scene at some point where someone is seen eating a pizza. Can anyone confirm please?

#260 6 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Overcomes this setback you need to hope JJP can stay afloat at these prices many are jumping ship

A spinning disk isn't going to be the end of JJP, will take a lot more then that!

#261 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Disappointing from many perspectives but from a support and ultimate user experience perspective likely the best choices.
That said the artwork in the disk area really needs work. It might even be better just leaving the artwork as it was (but removing words and lights, etc) similar to what is shown below or even just replacing with the compass style design would be much better than what was shown.

I still look forward to playing this...

Yeah the new decal looks really bad, resembles a flattened pizza or flattened hash browns, not good. 1 huge spinning disk doesn't look that great either as the game was designed to have that area be made up 3 disks, not 1.

#262 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A spinning disk isn't going to be the end of JJP, will take a lot more then that!

I would say it won't take much more....

#263 6 years ago
Quoted from Raknitz:

the best options for me are those two
- made a video lcd under playfield (alien/acdc like) to show the 3 spinning disk, no loss, no noise, the best replacement to not lose everything
- the second should to redrawn the entire lower playfield to make this pizza go away

I agree! See post #248.

#264 6 years ago

I've played about 30 games or so on JJPOTC and I really liked the spinning disks. They really sold that toy pretty hard on the previews for the game. The game I played on it worked great, but I understand if It didn't work out in the big picture of things. I'm bummed about that.

Maybe they could put a magnet in there, like X-Men, just for some extra capabilities and action.

The trunk was clunky, so I'm glad they fixed that...that isn't a big deal to me. It's a cool part of the game that can be an inner loop shot or a physical ball lock with a ramp that comes up. That's more than cool enough.

#265 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Over and over JJP fans are saying prices have gotten too high and that they are out.

#266 6 years ago

That chest never seemed to work right and I'm glad they have changed it. I'm going to give my opinion after I've PLAYED the revised machine.

#267 6 years ago

If the disc is spinning frequently throughout gameplay, do the graphics really matter? It was really just a tan blur before.....

#268 6 years ago
Quoted from 1iblind:

Here's an option. If people still want the look of the 3 spinning discs then why not put a clear window and LCD to take the place of the mech? No more worrying about parts breaking and keeping them level. I guess the only problem with that might be sourcing the right size and resolution screen. It would look cool and give them a lot of versatility.

Yes but this would also require a third and separate video output. I suppose that most display adapters support 3-4 nowadays.

#269 6 years ago

Thought this would be my first NIB after playing it at the Ohio Show recently. Now I’m not sure anymore.

#270 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

If the disc is spinning frequently throughout gameplay, do the graphics really matter? It was really just a tan blur before.....

I hear ya there, the map award effect will have more of an impact being on the 27" display.

#271 6 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Yes but this would also require a third and separate video output. I suppose that most display adapters support 3-4 nowadays.

Dialed In has three... The backbox, the theater, and the phone.

#272 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Let me be the first to inform you that, Stern, sells much more than JJP.

I know that Stern sold more in the market because the pro models are more attractive price. there's a lot more saying $ 5500 for a new pin ok I'll do that. at $ 9500, the farmer will spend less on toy money.
My English is not so good, I apologize with goggel translator sorry when it is not so understandable.

#273 6 years ago

Why not use 3 disk and have them line up some how like the org?

Screenshot_20180414-163542 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180414-163542 (resized).jpg

#274 6 years ago

Onboard with a CE and pretty disappointed to hear about the changes. If the spinning disks were located at the back of the playfield I wouldn’t care, but you’re talking smack down front and center of the players view. Removing this innovative feature really made this game and designed mech unique to any other game using a spin assembly. Meh on the chest. I imagine the problem here exists with the fact they made several hundred to a thousand paid in full and are not willing to scrap, start over and cut their losses. I want to see a video of the working single disk before I decide to bail. Prior to the announcement...I was 100% in, now 50/50...this could definitely go either way.

#275 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

better!
mealstrom, ships wheel , and map all spinning different

#276 6 years ago

It only makes sense that they have the playfields already done and sitting in their warehouse.
We are stuck with that round giant hole, not fit to do either LCD screen nor 3 spinning discs next to each other...bummer.....

painted into a corner....

#277 6 years ago

So, if your chosen manufacturing style is to beta test prototypes in the field... and at shows (rather than keeping it ALL internal until out of beta) then this is what you get, for better or worse. The great "reveal" last Fall then was for the concept and a prototype only, not for a final playfield. Shame on us for misunderstanding or shame on JJP for misleading, but this is totally understandable given JJP's stated manufacturing cycle.
In contrast, Stern's manufacturing style is to beta test all hardware internally- while still under the cloak of secrecy. Only the programming is permitted to remain in beta when "revealed".

#278 6 years ago

I'm hoping they see the million dollars of revenue they will lose and double down to try and get it to work

#279 6 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

It only makes sense that they have the playfields already done and sitting in their warehouse.
We are stuck with that round giant hole, not fit to do either LCD screen nor 3 spinning discs next to each other...bummer.....
painted into a corner....

There appears to be more then enough room in the cutout for 3 smaller individual disks. I think that would look far more appealing and be more interactive then just a single giant disk.

#280 6 years ago

It's so ironic.. DI had a terrible reveal, but a great release. POTC had a great reveal and what seems to be a terrible release. I wonder how Toy Story will go.

#281 6 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

I'm hoping they see the million dollars of revenue they will lose and double down to try and get it to work

For them to lose, say, $5m in revenue at $9k a pop, there'd have to be 555 cancellations. I seriously doubt that will manifest.

They're likely not announcing this change so close to production, and so long after launch because they haven't tried.

If the following (see below) is correct then there's almost no chance of getting it to work reliably, because it's highly unlikely they could fit a belt-drive drivetrain into the space available. Even if they could, the additional time to engineer and test this would likely be unacceptable to both buyers and JJP.

Quoted from rubberducks:

Agima2000 made this post on FlipperMarkt. German first - translated underneath. Sounds legit.
----
Die Scheiben an sich würden ja funktionieren.
Das Hauptproblem war jedoch die Übertragung von einem mini Zahnrad auf die Scheiben.
Jedes blockieren und durchdrehen führ dort unweigerlich zum zerstören des Zahnkranzes und damit war es das mit drehen.
Das hätte man von Grund auf mit Zahnriemen konstruieren müssen, etwas aufwendiger, dafür haltbarer.
------
The discs themselves would work.
The main problem, however, was the transmission of a mini gear to the discs.
Each block and spin inevitably lead to the destruction of the sprocket and that's what it was all about.
That would have had to be constructed from the ground up with toothed belts, something more elaborate, but more durable.

#282 6 years ago

That disc feature looked amazing. To reduce it to avoid issues is understandable. But the price of Jjp machines is just too much and taking away the feature that looked so good is going to diminish interest further. Its been so long since the reveal and now they take away what many saw as innovation on a playfield slip back to the pizza type disc on Turtles. I hope Jjp survives in the end.

#283 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

YES! I think this is the ideal solution and would please nearly everyone. One giant disk looks out of place and doesn't appear to represent anything from the movies. 3 smaller disks that could fit within the same playfield cutout would mean no major playfield changes. Heck, this would probably be even better then the original design for customers seeing that the map would still live on through the LCD, 3 spinning disks could represent something entirely different adding yet another layer of depth to the game.

3 of these motors and disks could be used in a triangle configuration where the current disk is. A bracket that would hold all 3 would fill in the entire cutout area which could then be removed for easy serviceability.

disk_3 (resized).JPGdisk_3 (resized).JPG

#284 6 years ago

New disc vs old discs:

new disc vs old disc (resized).pngnew disc vs old disc (resized).png

#285 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

For them to lose, say, $5m in revenue at $9k a pop, there'd have to be 555 cancellations. I seriously doubt that will manifest.
They're likely not announcing this change so close to production, and so long after launch because they haven't tried.
If the following (see below) is correct then there's almost no chance of getting it to work reliably, because it's highly unlikely they could fit a belt-drive drivetrain into the space available. Even if they could, the additional time to engineer and test this would likely be unacceptable to both buyers and JJP.

The 88 people saying they will cancel their preorder is close to a million.

It's not like something of this nature cant be engineered. Use different materials, metal, carbon etc

#286 6 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

It's not like something of this nature cant be engineered. Use different materials, metal, carbon etc

I highly doubt even a majority of those 88 have one on order (it's a blind poll), and how many of those who do have actually called / emailed to cancel? For now, prior to their stream next week with the new setup, and with the decal art highly likely to change (at least I think so), it's a storm in a teacup.

The problem would be with the gears. Not the disks themselves. Per the post on FlipperMarkt that I quoted, if it's correct ... belt drive ain't happening.

They are however foolish for letting an obviously problematic mech drag on unresolved for so long. They probably felt that as DI orders were good, they'd just delay until it worked. Presumably they reached breaking point where they realised that they might never be able to make it reliable in its existing form, so something had to give.

#287 6 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

I think you will find when the dust settles and if JJP cannot come up with something more suitable to the masses it will cost them way more than a million. Unlike the competition JJP is more of a boutique machine manufacturer catering to the HUO market. (especially with the LE and CE models) Now that the two main competitors have what looks like winners out there in Houdini and Iron Maiden (and we still need to see the IMDN LE's) the chances are good that a lot of pinsiders money is going to migrate to those machines. Lets hope that someone at JJP (and I am sure they do) sees the very poor feedback on the decision to delete one of the major features in the game. it may be time to reach out for some more engineering support and live with a bit more of a delay to fulfill what was a unique and promising game.

#288 6 years ago

I agree it would be more if they don't find an answer. Some don't think it'll happen but in it's current state I think it's a huge hit to its marketability

#289 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I highly doubt even a majority of those 88 have one on order (it's a blind poll), and how many of those who do have actually called / emailed to cancel?

I was one that did, and have emailed my cancellation...

#290 6 years ago

Why not keep the closing trunk in but reverse the rolls. Leave the trunk open u til multiball and then close it when multiball is ready? That would still keep the interaction and feel like they are just removing one thing. Better have a moving trunk than nothing at all.

#291 6 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I was one that did, and have emailed my cancellation...

Yeah, just read in one of the other threads about another Pinside member saying they just sent a cancellation email.

#292 6 years ago

Looks like only this inner circle spins. More like a personal pan pizza.

spin (resized).jpgspin (resized).jpg

#293 6 years ago

At least we finally have some much needed choice in the Pizza themed Pinball space. Dominoes, TMNT, POTC. It’s a great time to be a Pizza themed pinball collector.

#294 6 years ago

I hope they re-think this .

Not very happy to hear this news. $12500.00 and the game is losing two features that make it unique

I hope JJP reads this.

#295 6 years ago

I don't know - if I had money in, and they took away features (1 being pretty big) and replaced it with nothing, I would be upset. I understand it's more reliable but if that was the case, why not remove all the other features so that they really reduce the likelihood of error.

Something about this doesn't sound right. On it's face it sounds like a margin move to me - meaning let's make a better margin per unit so why not make it a big pizza?

#296 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

I don't know - if I had money in, and they TOOK AWAY a major feature and replaced it with nothing, I would be upset. I understand it's more reliable but if that was the case, why not remove all the other features so that they really reduce the likelihood of error.
Something about this doesn't sound right. On it's face it sounds like a margin move to me - meaning let's make a better margin per unit so why not make it a big pizza?

They cant be that stupid. I already contact my distributor and told them unless something else is done. Im out.

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, just read in one of the other threads about another Pinside member saying they just sent a cancellation email.

Truly hated to....envisioned it being a landmark game to compliment my WOZ....most I'd ever spent on a single game....that disc was beyond cool.

#298 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

They cant be that stupid. I already contact my distributor and told them unless something else is done. Im out.

we all need to cancel to make them realize this is a mistake. and the disc needs to be fixed. they just cant say times up pencils down.

#299 6 years ago

Very poor mock-up of 3 discs (a-la-Whirlwind) with pointers for the award feature:

JJP-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-playfield 3 discs (resized).jpgJJP-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-playfield 3 discs (resized).jpg

#300 6 years ago

So we're at the point of having to design this for them I guess? What a shit-fest this turned out to be. Unbelievable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production/page/6?hl=bgwilly31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.