IMG_1197 (resized).jpg
IMG_1196 (resized).jpg
IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 67.
#2101 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

At this point, I might just skip over to Willy Wonka.
Guess i have plenty of time to decide between now and Xmas.

I can't even imagine the wait for the next title, guaranteed you will be in on POTC.

#2102 5 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Well there hasn't been any streams lately, maybe that's a good sign.

I'm starting to wonder if the opposite is true, has some sort of new issue popped up that we haven't seen anything for 2 weeks?

#2103 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I'm starting to wonder if the opposite is true, has some sort of new issue popped up that we haven't seen anything for 2 weeks?

Lost in the Zone?

#2104 5 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Innovation takes time. I love the fact that JJP takes chances to introduce never-seen-before elements to a machine, but in doing so you run the risk of pushing back release dates. It's my opinion that POTC is the most-innovative game ever released, but that means tons of testing & trial-and-error. Every time something doesn't work right, that means "back to the drawing board" and the date gets pushed back yet again.
Personally, I'd rather they take their sweet time to make sure they get everything right. If it takes an extra 8 months to make a near-perfect machine, then so-be-it.

They put a ton of RnD into this one and are on the final stages of a finished product. No way they abandon it.
I'd also like one of their future games to be cheaper and more original. I am hoping they see the success of Spooky making TNA and consider making a machine that's like a retro/throwback. But as long as people keep buying games at 8k, 9k, 10k+... why stop?
screaminr that's awesome. I can't wait to see a machine or two in there.

You really think that after this is the most innovative after the Removal of the 3 disk and the change to the chest?

#2105 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Maybe they’re going to make another “tweak” and remove something else, let’s say the flippers.

#2106 5 years ago

Yeah 2 pissy posts in a row. I own the first 3 JJPs, just disillusioned on this whole POTC process.

#2107 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

You really think that after this is the most innovative after the Removal of the 3 disk and the change to the chest?

Having a lid go up and down on a box doesn't make it innovative choosing a character to play as and being able to plunder off opposition players does make it innovative.

#2108 5 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

I see what you're saying, "how can it be innovative if they REMOVED something".

At least they tried it. It was tested, feedback was given, and it's going to be changed because the spinning disks didn't have the same reaction on the ball that they wanted it to. I'd rather a trial and error than with no trial at all.

Everyone seems upset at the disks being removed, but I'm looking at everything else in the game and I'm still wowed by what I see.

#2109 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Having a lid go up and down on a box doesn't make it innovative choosing a character to play as and being able to plunder off opposition players does make it innovative.

The Trunk on Houdini is pretty innovative.
And it goes up and down no problems!

#2110 5 years ago

They should know by now when this is shipping, if they truly don’t hen hat means there is some sort of issue that they don’t have figured out yet.

If this thing is delayed anymore I think I’m out and money will be going to Chicago Gaming for one of the remakes.

Trying to remain patient but very frustrating to say the least.

#2111 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They should know by now when this is shipping, if they truly don’t hen hat means there is some sort of issue that they don’t have figured out yet.
If this thing is delayed anymore I think I’m out and money will be going to Chicago Gaming for one of the remakes.

OR, they learned their lesson about setting dates and expectations and making them public! We can only guess but I suspect tooling a complete line from one model to the next along with training of Every employee takes time and patience. They want to make this right and they are in no rush to gamble on this execution. So looking forward to landing this game with or without the original expectations met.

#2112 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Yes Houdini has a trunk with a lid that goes up and down, so if pirates did the same it wouldn't be innovative would it. PS what makes the Houdini trunk innovative is a ball gets flung the length of the playfield into it.

#2113 5 years ago

when in all the pinball drama of last 5 years has going quiet meant a good thing though? so, on balance i'd guess there's an issue. pure speculation of course.

hopefully resolved before people have moved on to the latest hype train.

#2114 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Yes Houdini has a trunk with a lid that goes up and down, so if pirates did the same it wouldn't be innovative would it. PS what makes the Houdini trunk innovative is a ball gets flung the length of the playfield into it.

Using your reasoning Houdini isn't innovative because the ball launch copies Stern's Aerosmith ball flinger. Length of the playfield? Hardly, 20"

I'm really hoping JJP pulls this off successfully.

#2115 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

OR, they learned their lesson about setting dates and expectations and making them public! We can only guess but I suspect tooling a complete line from one model to the next along with training of Every employee takes time and patience. They want to make this right and they are in no rush to gamble on this execution. So looking forward to landing this game with or without the original expectations met.

If it hasn’t already been 9 months and 100 streams of the game I would agree with you.

I’m not bashing JJP or the game but when there is an extended unexpected delay(if there even is one) they should just say it. Don’t need to set a date, just simply say it’s officially delayed.

Like another post mention, silence usually isn’t a good sign.

#2116 5 years ago

I think 3 months ago the spinning disk was an issue now I think the biggest issue is the time an oct 2017 unveiling is too long a wait

#2117 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

. Length of the playfield? Hardly, 20"

Fair point, I haven't played Houdini, i was going off people's description of it. They are coming to oz very soon and I'm keen to check them out.

#2118 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

I think 3 months ago the spinning disk was an issue now I think the biggest issue is the time an oct 2017 unveiling is too long a wait

Agreed 100%

Everyone was saying Butch recently said August, well we are entering second week of July. If they haven’t begun building production machines, August and Sept are likely out the window for shipping.

It’s kind of like the Stern Star Wars topper that has been delayed with the exception that Stern has been somewhat transparent of late regarding what is causing the delay.

Transparency and communication are worth their weight in gold!

#2119 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I would prefer to wait however long it takes to have it working 99 % rather than have them rush it and have problems down the track.

#2120 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I would prefer to wait however long it takes to have it working 99 % rather than have them rush it and have problems down the track.

The point is sort of getting lost here.

Nobody said to ship a product that isn’t ready but if there is a lengthy delay past August they should give the courtesy to their customers and let them know.

Really don’t even need to give a date, just state the obvious.

I’ve been onboard since the beginning but my interest is starting to wane and I can’t be the only one feeling this way.

#2121 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The point is sort of getting lost here.
Nobody said to ship a product that isn’t ready but if there is a lengthy delay past August they should give the courtesy to their customers and let them know.
Really don’t even need to give a date, just state the obvious.
I’ve been onboard since the beginning but my interest is starting to wane and I can’t be the only one feeling this way.

Get a hobbit then with the new code and then get pirates when it's out..

#2122 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

JJP shipped there first games spring 2013 they have now put out 3 games in 5 yr can they survive at that rate

#2123 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Get a hobbit then with the new code and then get pirates when it's out..

My plan B if this festers past oct/nov is to get a MMR.

My hesitation in picking something up in the meantime is the fact that it is an absolute bitch getting machines in and out of my basement. More so getting them out.

Makes me tend not to flip machines often!

#2124 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

JJP shipped there first games spring 2013 they have now put out 3 games in 5 yr can they survive at that rate

Well they're still going so I suppose so. quality beats quantity.they make less but charge more so maybe that works for them.

#2125 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

My plan B if this festers past oct/nov is to get a MMR.
My hesitation in picking something up in the meantime is the fact that it is an absolute bitch getting machines in and out of my basement. More so getting them out.
Makes me tend not to flip machines often!

I had money down on a mmr but when I compared it to jjp pins it didn't come close in my opinion. With them being so deep I think they would work well in your basement if you like the themes.

#2126 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Well they're still going so I suppose so. quality beats quantity.they make less but charge more so maybe that works for them.

The question is not whether they are still going today but what does there future hold at this rate. The same goes for Chicago Gaming and American Pinball the past few yr have not been kind to pinball startups

#2127 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The question is not whether they are still going today but what does there future hold at this rate. The same goes for Chicago Gaming and American Pinball the past few yr have not been kind to pinball startups

I know, when you spend so much money on a game I pray they will be there for the long haul. I'm not sure I would want to be an owner of an alien pin at this point in time. But I like the hobbit and pirates that much I'm willing to take the risk.

#2128 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Actually Aerosmith is a better use of the box.

#2129 5 years ago

A pinball machine is a major purchase and since JJP's games have a lot stuff in them, they are priced accordingly. So when someone decides they want JJPPOTC and they make a downpayment, they are expecting to keep the game for a long time, let's say ten years. If game is delayed six months, who cares, this is a long term relationship?

If you need the money or you think game is taking a turn for the worse or you doubt the game will be made, those are quality reasons to pull out. But if you are acting from impatience or loss of hype and if you plan to move the money to another pin, then you are a rich man. These are not cabbage patch dolls, where you can want a version one day and then change your mind on a whim.

This is a prime example of why you should wait and play a game before deciding to buy. Granted this is still better than buying it first and then getting distracted by another shiny object. All the streams have solidified my mind that I want a POTC. I am not sure when, but it will happen after I've played one a good bit and when one is a available. I am not considering striking it from my wish list and buying something else. Does someone else offer a comparable pirate themed option? No, this is the only one that fits the bill, so I wait. How could I complain when no money is down?

#2130 5 years ago

The apparent delay is likely one of three things. 1) maybe there is no delay and games will start shipping in August. 2) parts shortages might stop the startup line for three plus months to work out or 3) there is design issue of which the disc is the likely culprit. It will be resolved and the line will start to move in a few months.

We may be at an impasse, but my expectation is that the issue will be resolved by end of Summer.

#2131 5 years ago

My guess is that they are waiting to announce something before the first container leaves the factory.
They got burned by announcing POTC to early.

#2132 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

maybe there is no delay

That train has left the station

#2133 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

It will end up being 4 games in 5 years. Also, JJP is in a different market then Stern and doesn't have to sell as many games as Stern does to be successful. Ferrari sells far less cars then Ford yet is still successful. Quality over quantity.

#2134 5 years ago

I hope JJP says nothing about their next game until it is ready to ship.

It's crazy marketing to miss out on the hype train.

The hype train on this game has long gone.

#2135 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

This compounded with the mechanical changes really has created some bad mojo with this one. Still a great machine no doubt though.

Going forward, I think they can safely announce what the next title will be but shouldn't reveal the actual machine and design until it's 100% locked in with the mechanicals and ready to go to production.

Allows development of hype for a theme without setting any expectations for PF layout and mechanicals.

#2136 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It will end up being 4 games in 5 years. Also, JJP is in a different market then Stern and doesn't have to sell as many games as Stern does to be successful. Ferrari sells far less cars then Ford yet is still successful. Quality over quantity.

LOL JJP is no Ferrari and Ferrari put out 4 models in 2018 that is more then JJP has put out in the last 5 yr

#2137 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL JJP is no Ferrari and Ferrari put out 4 models in 2018 that is more then JJP has put out in the last 5 yr

Ferrari's don't float. Pinballs don't float either! So logically, JJP should be able to ship 4 models in 2018!

#2138 5 years ago

PotC doesn't weigh the same as a duck. Draw your own conclusions ( - :

#2139 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Then, than, what’s the difference?

#2140 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

YES ... and hopefully they do not piss of their potential customers with removing mainparts from the prototypes and changing designs.
I pre-paied a POTC after the first imüpressions and pictures were out, after this decission with the pizza design and ignoring the ideas from
the community, I asked my money back. So let them deliver the machines and I will have a check , but this "must have feeling" is completely gone.

For the money I bought a motorbike, also fun in the summer There is more than pinball

husky[1] (resized).pnghusky[1] (resized).png
#2141 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

If it hasn’t already been 9 months and 100 streams of the game I would agree with you.
I’m not bashing JJP or the game but when there is an extended unexpected delay(if there even is one) they should just say it. Don’t need to set a date, just simply say it’s officially delayed.
Like another post mention, silence usually isn’t a good sign.

Not bashing you on this comment.. I totally agree matter of fact.. But, have you ever owned a JJP game? Quality takes time. Sure they can scale down to Stern quality and produce 2-3 titles a year... JMO.. I would rather play the pins i have and wait for a masterpiece.. Do i wish they would speed things up on the production line, sure... But when i see Stern releasing games w/ sooooooooo many issues, it makes me feel good Jack is steady and slow..

#2142 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Not bashing you on this comment.. I totally agree matter of fact.. But, have you ever owned a JJP game? Quality takes time. Sure they can scale down to Stern quality and produce 2-3 titles a year... JMO.. I would rather play the pins i have and wait for a masterpiece.. Do i wish they would speed things up on the production line, sure... But when i see Stern releasing games w/ sooooooooo many issues, it makes me feel good Jack is steady and slow..

You pay for the quality in the high price. And they still have just as many issues as stern. Just different issues but major issues like lightning on WOZ, Stuck balls on TH making it unplayable on location and many more. And delayed code too. All the companies have all the same issues just other companies are producing many more titles which translates to many more talked about issues.

#2143 5 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

You pay for the quality in the high price. And they still have just as many issues as stern. Just different issues but major issues like lightning on WOZ, Stuck balls on TH making it unplayable on location and many more. And delayed code too. All the companies have all the same issues just other companies are producing many more titles which translates to many more talked about issues.

Exactly!

So what's the consensus on 2+ weeks of silence after weekly streams for the past several months? Is it in production or are they having more issues?

Not asking for them to speed anything up a status update wouldn't be bad!

#2144 5 years ago

To be fair when they pulled the discs they still streamed. So I don't think they would hide from adversity

#2145 5 years ago
Quoted from TomDK: removing mainparts from the prototypes and changing designs.

Maybe you should look up the meaning of prototype

#2146 5 years ago

My there are sure a lot of armchair pinball wizards here. Be open to the idea that the less they spend on PR the sooner the game will be on the showroom floor.

#2147 5 years ago

Wurd.

#2148 5 years ago

so just because they stop weekly streaming there is a problem? Now they owe you something or the whole operation is falling apart.....maybe they are working on an epic ship battle animation or laminating playfield flyers.

#2149 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Exactly!
So what's the consensus on 2+ weeks of silence after weekly streams for the past several months? Is it in production or are they having more issues?
Not asking for them to speed anything up a status update wouldn't be bad!

Not sure if I've already posted this but yes I agree, it is like they dropped off the face of the planet. From weekly streams and occasional posts here to zero and at such a crucial time for all of us here, the 'F5 refresh club'. It is disappointing.

I do disagree with others about not promoting future titles until they are ready. I would only agree if JJP were shipping new titles out the door every 6 months, otherwise in their current production world it would almost leave them silent for up to a year or more. Many of the members here would write them off, until production of course.

I too felt the 'pain and disappointment' with the discs and chest BUT this was a prototype and we were brought along for the entire ride. This was not possible back in the 90's and there have been other examples of changes prior to production with 90's pins; DW, JD etc... everyone here would have lost their $hit if they would have had the near real-time access to information and communication with those Teams.

People bitching about the design Team not listening to them and their suggestions, of course they do, they just don't implement them all. Look at Hobbit, in the 'good 'ol day's the previous code release might have been the final code. You have new code because of our access to them and they want to keep us as customers.

We can't have it both ways, we either want to be involved or we don't. I for one say, don't change a thing.

#2150 5 years ago

JJP can't stay in business pumping out 2-3 games per year. They can't physically do it either.

They aren't set up to produce and ship 1,000 games a month like Stern. Never will be.

There aren't enough buyers for that quantity at the prices JJP charges.

They will be able to produce Woz and DI forever which will always occupy some of the production schedule.

Get into a mode of announcing and shipping 1 game per year and time it so that it matches hype of theme, unlike TH and POTC

If they ever get a HOME RUN theme they could sell those pins forever imo. Harry Potter, James Bond, music themed pin etc.

I predict Willy Wonka will be a huge seller. Maybe not a big as Woz because of how many Woz pins were sold at $6500 but it will be big.

Bring on POTC!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 43 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production/page/43?hl=outlanes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.