IMG_1197 (resized).jpg
IMG_1196 (resized).jpg
IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 67.
#1801 5 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

"you are only as good as The Company You Keep"
-wife

grow some cojones

everytime i see a post “my wife”

#1802 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

It's probably already drawn up for the manual.

I would love to see something as well but honestly, this stuff can wait and even the code is so far along that we can update it after we get our pins.

Now that the disc, map awards and chest have been figured out the only concern that I have is with the playfield. That is, how long will it take to make and clear coat these? And the most important question, IMO, how much time is needed for them to cure properly? I would gladly wait longer knowing that this needs to be done to reduce or eliminate potential issues with the PF.

While on this topic, I wanted to comment on the posts all over Pinside where people have said that all playfields dimple and you just can't tell on a pin that has been really heavily played because the whole playfield has just dimpled 'evenly'. What a complete load of crap! (Didn't SR make this claim or did he just say that all playfields dimple?)

Now matter how many dimples a PF takes on it will never look nice and smooth. That and you would easily notice the 'edge', and an uneven one at that, where the ball can't actually reach, IE: alongside posts, rubbers etc... I welcome anyone to show me different.

#1803 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I would love to see something as well but honestly, this stuff can wait and even the code is so far along that we can update it after we get our pins.
Now that the disc, map awards and chest have been figured out the only concern that I have is with the playfield. That is, how long will it take to make and clear coat these? And the most important question, IMO, how much time is needed for them to cure properly? I would gladly wait longer knowing that this needs to be done to reduce or eliminate potential issues with the PF.
While on this topic, I wanted to comment on the posts all over Pinside where people have said that all playfields dimple and you just can't tell on a pin that has been really heavily played because the whole playfield has just dimpled 'evenly'. What a complete load of crap! (Didn't SR make this claim or did he just say that all playfields dimple?)
Now matter how many dimples a PF takes on it will never look nice and smooth. That and you would easily notice the 'edge', and an uneven one at that, where the ball can't actually reach, IE: alongside posts, rubbers etc... I welcome anyone to show me different.

I’ve seen two different potc machines so far and they both had dimpling. I didn’t think it was excessive but it was definitely there if you were looking for it.

#1804 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Just watched the latest stream man there's alot to take in. I would like to see pirates come with a large playfield poster map (hopefully laminated) with the 5 movie qualifying shots and the 12 combo treasure shots , star map symbols and whatever else they can fit in.

I agree and don’t think it’s too much to ask for a shot map or simple rules guide. If they want to make games this complicated and deep they should expect to produce game instructions.

There is just so much to do and different ways to qualify things along with all the unique combo shots.

Just don’t see how the average person would ever figure any of this stuff out to get the most out of their game.

#1805 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I agree and don’t think it’s too much to ask for a shot map or simple rules guide...

Just don’t see how the average person would ever figure any of this stuff out to get the most out of their game.

I'm sure they will produce a rules chart. They have done that with WOZ, Hobbit and DI. If you watch some of the streams you'll pick it up quickly, it's not really that complicated.

#1806 5 years ago

I played yesterday for quite a while on a prototype machine and although the flipper strength was set close to maximum it felt like the flipper power felt a Little weak. Sometimes problems to enter the malestorm or ship. Red in some other comments about weak flippers as well. Does anybody know whether the flipper coiles in the production machines will be stronger?

#1807 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I agree and don’t think it’s too much to ask for a shot map or simple rules guide.

JJP does an EXCEPTIONAL job on their manuals, there is no reason to think that it won't be well documented.

#1808 5 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

What if you trade someone for it. That way no new money goes to Disney.
Although the idea of someone telling what I can and cant buy based on an allegation of DV that never even went to court is not something I'd be open to.

It is still bothering me and I can't help thinking ChipScott is giving up way too early. Maybe he should try coming back from a pinshow with a POTCCE and ... Guess what daddy won at the pinball tourney? A new JJP family friendly pin. You couldn't expect me to give it back - that would be rude to all the children and the charity! So many little smiling faces. Now help me plug this thing in and we'll start some family time right now.

#1809 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

JJP does an EXCEPTIONAL job on their manuals, there is no reason to think that it won't be well documented.

I'm sure it will be well documented, I would like to see it on a poster so I can glance up at it while I'm playing , plus it would look cool.

#1810 5 years ago

Any chance these ship in June?

Would be nice to have for part of the summer!

#1811 5 years ago

JJP does a great job at explaining their games rules either on screen or using rule flow charts. I really like the ruleflow chart below for Dialed In that is updated as a modes are changed / added. It would be nice to see rules for modes explained in detail in the physical manual.

In regards to POTC rules I don't think they are too complex. Personally I find point focused rulesets like those in ACDC to be more complicated.

If anyone wants to hear about the design and rules breakdown in detail watch the excellent video below that SDTM did with Eric and Keith.

Here's the basic breakdown of POTC rules

1. There's 5 shots on the playfield, 1 for each of the 5 movies
2. Hit one of the 5 shots to qualify a chapter mode for that movie. There's 125 chapter modes in the game, 25 get randomly assigned at game start, 5 for each movie.
3. Hit the magnet mode start area to start the chapter (if multiple chapters are qualified it will be picked at random unless certain characters are used)
4. Number of completed modes effects scoring (I believe jackpot multipler) in a movies multiball mode
5. There are 5 movie mulitballs and 5 wizard modes, 1 assigned to each movie and represented in the lower inserts between the flippers
6. A movies wizard mode is qualifed by starting all 5 chapters for that movie
7. Movie wizard mode scoring is affected by the number of jackpots collected during the movies multiball (may also involve chapter mode scoring, forgot). Timing out chapter modes will result in lower wizard mode scoring. Not collecting jackpots in movie multiballs will result in lower wizard mode scoring.
8. Completing and or starting everything unlocks "Break the Curse" super wizard mode

dialed in_rules (resized).JPGdialed in_rules (resized).JPG

#1812 5 years ago

Once these ship what will we have to talk about.

#1813 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Once these ship what will we have to talk about.

Our success playing the game or lack of!

#1814 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Our success playing the game or lack of!

Excellent !

#1815 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I’ve seen two different potc machines so far and they both had dimpling. I didn’t think it was excessive but it was definitely there if you were looking for it.

Yes, my WOZEC is dimpled and I imagine that it's playfield had a very long time to sit and cure, back in those early days of JJP. It is 5 years old and still dimples so ultimately it must have more to do with the type of wood used, regardless CC does need time to cure, so hopefully that is starting to get underway. Whatever can be done to minimize dimpling would be preferred. Aside from that I think that everyone can agree that the code is killer and is ready to get their hands on it.

#1816 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Yes, my WOZEC is dimpled .

Dimpling is the biggest disappointment in modern pins in my view and it's totally avoidable you can get plywood twice as dence that won't dimple and they don't use it for what ever reason.

#1817 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

6. A movies wizard mode is qualifed by starting all 5 chapters for that movie
7. Movie wizard mode scoring is affected by the number of jackpots collected during the movies multiball (may also involve chapter mode scoring, forgot). Timing out chapter modes will result in lower wizard mode scoring. Not collecting jackpots in movie multiballs will result in lower wizard mode scoring.

Two corrections, 1. To qualify the wizard mode you need to start that movie's chapters and it's associated multiball; 2. I believe it is super jackpots during the multiball, not just jackpots, that affect score in the wizard mode.

#1818 5 years ago

Still don’t understand why are they showing videos of the prototype games since that is not the correct representation of what the game is going to be and how far out till production?

#1819 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Still don’t understand why are they showing videos of the prototype games since that is not the correct representation of what the game is going to be and how far out till production?

The new JJP videos from the past month or so show the new playfield. It is a modified prototype playfield and not a final though (They took the 3 disk playfield and modified it). The new playfields will be made specifically for the single disk.

Older reviews and videos show the 3 disk design.

#1820 5 years ago

My wife told me that she no longer wants me exposed to this thread. I am sorry, but I will have to drain if as she will be checking my iPad later this afternoon.

For those who ordered, I hope you enjoy your game. Please excuse me while I begin the search for my testicles.

#1821 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

My wife told me that she no longer wants me exposed to this thread. I am sorry, but I will have to drain if as she will be checking my iPad later this afternoon.
For those who ordered, I hope you enjoy your game. Please excuse me while I begin the search for my testicles.

LOL

#1822 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Please excuse me while I begin the search for my testicles

Don't worry we have all been there.

#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

My wife game me permission again to upvote another comment.

#1824 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I don't know your situation but that post certainly speaks. Now, I can only speak for myself on this but I hope that she is supportive of your interests and hobbies. If it doesn't put you in the poor house and she/your family come first with everything else then there should be no issue(s).

To keep my sanity and get out from a serious depression, I had to walk away from 24 years. The 'kids' are adults and we are both far better off now. LIFE IS TOO SHORT! The old saying, 'happy wife, happy life' only works if you aren't miserable. Sometimes the 'better half' is only happy when the other is miserable. Misery loves company.

You and she can take whatever you want out of this post but I hope you all the very best.

#1825 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I agree. I'm confused.

#1826 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I don't know your situation but that post certainly speaks. Now, I can only speak for myself on this but I hope that she is supportive of your interests and hobbies. If it doesn't put you in the poor house and she/your family come first with everything else then there should be no issue(s).
To keep my sanity and get out from a serious depression, I had to walk away from 24 years. The 'kids' are adults and we are both far better off now. LIFE IS TOO SHORT! The old saying, 'happy wife, happy life' only works if you aren't miserable. Sometimes the 'better half' is only happy when the other is miserable. Misery loves company.
You and she can take whatever you want out of this post but I hope you all the very best.

Good for you Dnaman. Life is def too short

Pretty sure that MikeJ was kidding BUT I’m sure his wife still owns his testicles

#1827 5 years ago

As stated in another thread, the apron art needs another revamp.

Color scheme wise it doesn’t look good and is terrible for the green CE

#1828 5 years ago

I think the cab artwork is boring. I am not a fan of people's faces as the cabinet art. I hate it. But some ships and sea with mountains or something.

#1829 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I think the cab artwork is boring. I am not a fan of people's faces as the cabinet art. I hate it. But some ships and sea with mountains or something.

You make a good point. Didn’t really give the cabinet art a ton of thought but your right, there are 22 character faces on the PF. Did they really need more on the cabinet?

Sterns cabinet art for POTC is perfect in my opinion and JJP should have done something similar but better.

#1830 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

You make a good point. Didn’t really give the cabinet art a ton of thought but your right, there are 22 character faces on the PF. Did they really need more on the cabinet?
Sterns cabinet art for POTC is perfect in my opinion and JJP should have done something similar but better.

Something like this is good. I like Sterns cabinet art packages better.

Screenshot_20180527-162451 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180527-162451 (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20180527-162533 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180527-162533 (resized).jpg

Screenshot_20180527-162732 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20180527-162732 (resized).jpg

#1831 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Dimpling is the biggest disappointment in modern pins in my view and it's totally avoidable you can get plywood twice as dence that won't dimple and they don't use it for what ever reason.

I disagree, but there is an entire Richie thread about this argument...

#1832 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Disagree that it is the biggest disappointment or that it can be remedied with harder plywood and better clear coat?

#1833 5 years ago

I can share ample pictures of all my old pins which have no dimpling on them. Maybe they just employed Ouija-magic.

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I'm not getting sucked into that again

#1835 5 years ago

Let’s try and avoid the dimple discussion here.

Plenty of other threads to opine about it

We are getting down to the nitty gritty here and ship date is hopefully right around the corner

#1836 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As stated in another thread, the apron art needs another revamp.
Color scheme wise it doesn’t look good and is terrible for the green CE

For those of you who haven't seen it. I think the ships look great but the colours don't work and it's too bright . Not saying this to stir just want it to look as good as it possibly can .

IMG_20180527_212057 (resized).jpgIMG_20180527_212057 (resized).jpg

#1837 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

For those of you who haven't seen it. I think the ships look great but the colours don't work and it's too bright . Not saying this to stir just want it to look as good as it possibly can .

Ships do look great. Colors are from the movie clip.

Doesn't work here with either game, partly because its so large and noticeable.

#1838 5 years ago

We are certainly getting picky here but I believe that is allowed as we have been part of the review process this entire time. We are an active and captive audience. Many of us will be buying this pin.

I agree that the apron art is now too bright and clashes. I don't think that it should be a focal point. I also think that if it were to change that the edge or background should fade to black (at the edge) so that it blends in to the apron. I don't like that it looks like two stickers. You can see what I mean in the center, nearest the mini display. In the streaming video the left and right stickers don't meet at the same point. Might be minor for some in the end but I have an EC WOZ and that apron just looks classy, and I do spend time admiring it while playing.

#1839 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

We are certainly getting picky here .

I wouldn't say we're picky we just want what's best for the pin.

#1840 5 years ago

I agree, but I figure that if I call it picky then I take the power away from those who have no intention in buying and who are just wanting to minimize these discussion points. (I know that we have a name for them...)

#1841 5 years ago

So when do they plan to start shipping these then I still can’t belive that the game now has stripped features and they are still charging 500$ more.

#1842 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

So when do they plan to start shipping these then I still can’t belive that the game now has stripped features and they are still charging 500$ more.

I wouldn’t say they stripped them as there is still a disc and a digital triple disc on display, chest is still there too.

#1843 5 years ago

I just think that JJP’s pricing structure is way out of control they should be trying to offer a full featured game at a pro level until they do that; which I don’t think they are capable of this is how their pricing has gone
WOZ LE 6500
HOBBIT LE 7500
Dialed in LE 9k
POTC 9500$
Next game 10k?
That is not good for the hobby

#1844 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I just think that JJP’s pricing structure is way out of control they should be trying to offer a full featured game at a pro level until they do that; which I don’t think they are capable of this is how their pricing has gone
WOZ LE 6500
HOBBIT LE 7500
Dialed in LE 9k
POTC 9500$
Next game 10k?

$6500 for WOZ ECLE was 7 years ago, was a limited amount of time before going to $7500k and they lost money on every game at $6500...

I see what Stern is charging for $9k and its laughable when compared to JJP games for the same price or $500 more and I say that as a Star Wars LE owner. I do agree that JJP, as well as Stern, will hit a wall if pricing continues to rise. There's only so many pinball dollars to go around.

#1845 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

WOZ LE 6500
HOBBIT LE 7500
Dialed in LE 9k
POTC 9500$
Next game 10k?

if people keep paying, why stop asking?

#1846 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

$6500 for WOZ ECLE was 7 years ago, was a limited amount of time before going to $7500k and they lost money on every game at $6500...
I see what Stern is charging for $9k and its laughable when compared to JJP games for the same price or $500 more and I say that as a Star Wars LE owner. I do agree that JJP, as well as Stern, will hit a wall if pricing continues to rise. There's only so many pinball dollars to go around.

So Stern can ask 9k for a Iron Maiden LE and that's Ok?

#1847 5 years ago

Wonder what they will ask for ST prem

#1848 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

So Stern can ask 9k for a Iron Maiden LE and that's Ok?

There is only 500 of those so its somewhat "limited".

The CE edition of JJP costs $12,500

The wall has been hit imo, but "collector" and "limited" pins will still be gobbled up if its a great pin/theme

#1849 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The wall has been hit imo, but "collector" and "limited" pins will still be gobbled up if its a great pin/theme

ce is just ridiculous. i dont see where the extra 3500 goes. i mean the dialed in ce people just got their jackets and havent even gotten their dinner yet. it is just an awful money grab and i wish that buyers would stay away from that like superman with kryptonite.

#1850 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I agree. The CE is stupid but even Sterns Premium is around 7500 so that's high as hell too. Doesn't matter how much u defend stern, both companies prices are very very stupid.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production/page/37?hl=marvello and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.