IMG_1197 (resized).jpg
IMG_1196 (resized).jpg
IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 67.
#1601 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Man this pin is losing steam fast.
Gotta be able to announce and start shipping.

very fast. i have moved on. just doing cash and carry from now on.

#1602 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

you ruined it for me. when i play it i am gonna be thinking about this.

I know the upper playfield only has targets, 2 spinners , rocks side to side and a canon. Ripped off!

Quoted from Psw757:It is too long of a wait.... there are several factors that compound this delay. First is removal of features frustrates potential buyers and other Mfg's have really stepped up their game and are cranking multiple titles out over this same timeframe. .

The features have not been removed, the trunk has been down graded and the spinning disc's with their awards will still be there in virtual form. Also I would rather wait for one great pin than have my choice of three average ones.

#1603 5 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

No shipped games will have filled in playfields.

That is very unfortunate, at least in my case.

Shipping with the large cutout and a filler ring would have allowed for you, at a later date, to have released a "black Pearl Edition" with the original but now fixed 3 ring setup.

The early Adopters could have then purchased the 3 Ring system at a preferred price and swapped it in within minutes and load the Black Pearl code.

I would have purchased in that case. As it is my POTCCE remains cancelled, which sucks for me.
You guys know what the market wants, why not offer it and make sales down the road?

That would have been a win-win for both manufacturer and customer

#1604 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

All this will be forgotten when they start shipping I predict. You can't write off JJP, people like their stuff too much IMHO.

I own 2 JJP games and have owned 3. I'm just saying the excitement for me is gone. I'm now waiting for the Oct, 2018 announcement. They really need to show a game and already have some made to be shipped within a month. Delays and changes has killed it for me. Also playing it at Allentown with weak flippers doesn't help the cause.

#1605 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I know the upper playfield only has targets, 2 spinners , rocks side to side and a canon. Ripped off!

The features have not been removed, the trunk has been down graded and the spinning disc's with their awards will still be there in virtual form. Also I would rather wait for one great pin than have my choice of three average ones.

You know what I was implying, used the wrong word to make my point. I agree in principle on waiting for one great game but this delay due to the circumstances will no doubt hurt this title a bit.

I'll say it again, I'm keeping my order and like what I see however the feedback I saw at pinfest after standing in line for an hour and playing wasn't all rosy. I think it's going to be a love it/hate game and it will be mainly due to rule set and theme.

#1606 5 years ago

i don't know when this is coming out, but's not a joke. i played this in oct. last year in chicago and still not out in May? will jjp even be around in a year?

#1607 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Shipping with the large cutout and a filler ring would have allowed for you, at a later date, to have released a "black Pearl Edition" with the original but now fixed 3 ring setup.
The early Adopters could have then purchased the 3 Ring system at a preferred price and swapped it in within minutes and load the Black Pearl code.
I would have purchased in that case. As it is my POTCCE remains cancelled, which sucks for me.
You guys know what the market wants, why not offer it and make sales down the road?

I think there is about a 10% chance that we see a black pearl edition. CE's are widely available now. They are going to want to move on to the next title and if I had to guess, there will be more licensing costs from Disney to deal with which is likely a no-go at this point.

#1608 5 years ago

Kids were watching the at World's End movie last night and there are some epic ship battle scenes at the end of that movie with no actors shown. First starts with the black pearl and Dutchman entering the maelstrom and battling it out. We need some of this action in the game, can't see why they don't add this. Second is the ending where the Pearl and Dutchman double broadside the endeavor. The endeavor is the ship we get to blast in the ame with the cannon, I would like to see the dozens of cannons going off and splintering the shit out of the endeavor when the center hit is made.

Come on JJP, thow us true Pirate fans a bone!

#1609 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I own 2 JJP games and have owned 3. I'm just saying the excitement for me is gone. I'm now waiting for the Oct, 2018 announcement. They really need to show a game and already have some made to be shipped within a month. Delays and changes has killed it for me. Also playing it at Allentown with weak flippers doesn't help the cause.

They are not announcing the next game till its ready to ship.... we will b waiting a while unfortunately.

#1610 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I think it's going to be a love it/hate game and it will be mainly due to rule set and theme.

That's a fair comment. It amazes me how many pinball "lovers" are hanging it on this pin when it's going to be one of the best and feature packed of all time.

#1611 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

. The endeavor is the ship we get to blast in the ame with the cannon, I would like to see the dozens of cannons going off and splintering the shit out of the endeavor when the center hit is made.
Come on JJP, thow us true Pirate fans a bone!

If we keep mentioning it, it might happen

#1612 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

That's a fair comment. It amazes me how many pinball "lovers" are hanging it on this pin when it's going to be one of the best and feature packed of all time.

Well, I can only think that in regard to the code it's a very complex game which is good for the home but not easy to learn for the casual player. I'm hoping they include some sort of guide to explain the game in depth, I'll never remember all the unique combos they explained for example.

When watching it being played at pinfest one of the complaints I heard from a few folks while I waited an hour for my turn was some ball times were excruciatinly long. Watching the streams you see short ball times but these guys were playing to get to wizard modes and taking the high risk shots. Casual players likely won't be doing this.

This is going to be an interesting game to follow post release, on one hand I predict top 10 status but at the same time won't be surprised to see it much lower. I personally take these ratings with a grain of salt but I do think it gives an idea of popularity of a game.

#1613 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Well, I can only think that in regard to the code it's a very complex game which is good for the home but not easy to learn for the casual player. I'm hoping they include some sort of guide to explain the game in depth, I'll never remember all the unique combos they explained for example.
When watching it being played at pinfest one of the complaints I heard from a few folks while I waited an hour for my turn was some ball times were excruciatinly long. Watching the streams you see short ball times but these guys were playing to get to wizard modes and taking the high risk shots. Casual players likely won't be doing this.
This is going to be an interesting game to follow post release, on one hand I predict top 10 status but at the same time won't be surprised to see it much lower. I personally take these ratings with a grain of salt but I do think it gives an idea of popularity of a game.

I think jjp are more suited for the home environment as they are so deep. I want a envolved and long playing pin, if I want to play a hard and fast pin I'll play fish tales. They're both great in their own ways.Just depends on what mood your in.

#1614 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I think jjp are more suited for the home environment as they are so deep. I want a envolved and long playing pin, if I want to play a hard and fast pin I'll play fish tales. They're both great in their own ways.Just depends on what mood your in.

Any idea if they will include a rule/code guide? Some of the stuff these guys are explaining is pretty obscure and have no idea how you would learn these things without watching all the streams.

#1615 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I'm hoping they include some sort of guide to explain the game in depth, I'll never remember all the unique combos they explained for example.

Agreed,.Also when you pick a character they tell you their benefits but I have not seen where they state their negatives like half scoring ect.

#1616 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Agreed,.Also when you pick a character they tell you their benefits but I have not seen where they state their negatives like half scoring ect.

They can make it like a book of pirate code/guidelines

#1617 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

They can make it like a book of pirate code/guidelines

Excellent

#1618 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Sky, Let's hope they announce a Willy Wonka, or whatever it is, and then ship it shortly thereafter, a month or two max.

#1619 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Sky, Let's hope they announce a Willy Wonka, or whatever it is, and then ship it shortly thereafter, a month or two max.

What you wish for makes no sense. POTC may be shipping in August, and it is just now complete for manufacturing to begin. Expect it will be the major game being built at JJP through the end of 2019. Let's say JJP is ready to release and ready to build game #5 on Jan 2020, to fit into this cycle. They should be announcing and revealing that game at Expo 2019, in Oct 2019, if they follow your guidance. Seventeen months of agony waiting for word that the game is Wonka, something you already know. Unfortunately for JJP, that cat is already out of the bag. You shouldn't be expecting to hear anything about JJP#5 at Expo 2018, that is TOO EARLY !!

#1620 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

What you wish for makes no sense. POTC may be shipping by August, and it is just now complete for manufacturing to begin. It will be the major game being built at JJP the 4th quarter of this year through end of 2019. Let's say JJP is ready to release and ready to build game #5 on Jan 2020, to fit into this cycle. They should be announcing and revealing the game at Expo 2019, in Oct 2019 if they follow your suggestion. You are going to be waiting a long time if you expect JJP to withhold announcing a title a few months ahead of release. Seventeen months of agony waiting for word that the game is Wonka. Something you already know. Unfortunately for JJP, that cat is already out of the bag.

When will they finally produce and ship 2 games a year like Jack has said for years? But he has also said many times he wants to be able to announce and ship in Stern fashion.

They need to get off this cycle. If Potc is truly the major game being built through 2018 AND 2019 then its hard for me to believe that cycle is sustainable long term.

They have to get Willy Wonka produced and shipped alongside Potc imo. Works for Stern.

Stern and others are just gonna swamp them it seems. Man i want them to succeed but I just picked up an IMDNLE and ACNC to go along with my POTCCE order that will probably get squeezed out by another Stern game like Munsters.

It's marketing 101, announce the game, take my money and then ship it to me a month later! They are giving us WAY too much time to switch course.

#1621 5 years ago

In how many JJP threads do I have to say they need to announce the way Bally, Williams, Gottlieb and Chicago Coin/Stern Electronics did back when real brick & mortar distributors existed.

Otherwise there is anxiety, dissent and anger. Plus, there would be no Heighway, Dutch Pinball or SKitB situations, even with the shills out here.

#1622 5 years ago

I just built a new pinball. Cool, when can I get it. Next week. Great thanks. That's Sterns model. I like it alot.

#1623 5 years ago

Can we just skip this game and move onto the next?

Boy, do JJP need to follow the Stern model going forward.

#1624 5 years ago

LOL, this game is so far off my radar I had to look up what it is!

#1625 5 years ago

The real issue is JJP is moving at dinosaur speed for design and manufacturing, while the pinball industry giant is trotting away. Podcasters and enthusiasts covers pinball broadly and producing one pinball machine every 18 months equals three months of unbridled enthusiasm for your company and its latest product. If a competitor can release two or three or four games they are king.

One one hand, JJP's cycle is not sustainable. How could that model last? On the other hand, with more competitor companies in the pool, it feels like too much product is coming to market. Most are being offered at the high price$ for a toy. Some will fail and some will rise. In the end you can't out-hype hype, and a pinball machine stands on its own merits. JJP's insistence on getting their product right before release, is more important to me than the fact I can't get their titles sooner. When JJP's newest pinball starts at $9k, customers like to feel that their purchase will last.

JJP's cycle is disappointing and frustrating and many have expressed this. I liken it to listenening to C2C. Always enjoy hearing Nate's buttery voice talking pinball. But I only get a few episodes a year, so no sense complaining. POTC looks great and I hope to play one this year. If I like it, I may end up buying one next Summer. It's a snails pace I know, but my wits are not at worlds end, yet.

#1626 5 years ago

"In the end you can't out-hype hype, and a pinball machine stands on its own merits. JJP's insistence on getting their product right before release, is more important to me than the fact I can't get titles sooner"

This is a great point but if that's the route they decide to take while increasing prices, which may or may not be justified, more and more people are going to let somebody else take the up front hit and buy that game for $2k less on the secondary market.

Pricing is an issue with more product, like 12k games from Stern, hitting the market in 2018.

#1627 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

The real issue is JJP is moving at dinosaur speed for design and manufacturing, while the pinball industry giant is trotting away. Podcasters and enthusiasts covers pinball broadly and producing one pinball machine every 18 months equals three months of unbridled enthusiasm for your company and its latest product. If a competitor can release two or three or four games they are king.
One one hand, JJP's cycle is not sustainable. How could that model last? On the other hand, with more competitor companies in the pool, it feels like too much product is coming to market. Most are being offered at the high price$ for a toy. Some will fail and some will rise. In the end you can't out-hype hype, and a pinball machine stands on its own merits. JJP's insistence on getting their product right before release, is more important to me than the fact I can't get their titles sooner. When JJP's newest pinball starts at $9k, customers like to feel that their purchase will last.
JJP's cycle is disappointing and frustrating and many have expressed this. I liken it to listenening to C2C. Always enjoy hearing Nate's buttery voice talking pinball. But I only get a few episodes a year, so no sense complaining. POTC looks great and I hope to play one this year. If I like it, I may end up buying one next Summer. It's a snails pace I know, but my wits are not at worlds end, yet.

I think there is a fine line in waiting for it to be complete and taking forever to ship.

Too many other good games coming out and it just erodes sales, most people will only wait so long.

If we are still having this conversation come July, not good for JJP and they can’t keep doing this.

#1628 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Jack has already said there will be no such thing ever built. No pirates special editions with the three ring mech.

LTG : )

#1629 5 years ago

I would rather have JJP slowly making great games with lots of toys and exciting things than 5 games with more or less the same layout.

#1630 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

I would rather have JJP slowly making great games with lots of toys and exciting things than 5 games with more or less the same layout.

Exactly! ...and, many who are splurging on these games now at an ever increasing price point, saying that their money is going elsewhere, will sell them or something else off in their collection to buy the next Stern or JJ pin once available. Those who can afford NIB will experience it first and those who can't will be ready when the price is right in the second-hand market.

Stern is churning them out and this whole community is stumbling over themselves to get the latest and call it the greatest, until the next one comes out. Most have the insatiable obsession bug and we call it our hobby.

Personally If I had known that I would be waiting this long for POTC, I would have absolutely picked something else up to tied me over. That has been the 'worst' for me, sitting on coin all this time and checking Pinside daily, gross.

#1631 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Personally If I had know that I would be waiting this long for POTC, I would have absolutely picked something else up to tied me over. That has been the 'worst' for me, sitting on coin all this time and checking Pinside daily, gross.

I picked up a TNA, now looking for a Star Trek Prem. Still have the deposit on the POTC. But if my three pins tied me over I can wait a year for WWonka

#1632 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I picked up a TNA, now looking for a Star Trek Prem. Still have the deposit on the POTC. But if my three pins tied me over I can wait a year for WWonka

Well said! That is a great approach as others will always be selling something to get something else. This includes all editions upto LE and SuperDuper LE

#1633 5 years ago

I’m looking forward to getting my game. Nothing has changed for me. The layout is awesome, the rules are superb, the features are great, etc...

Time may affect people’s feelings of excitement or whatever, but feelings don’t make a good game a bad game or vice versa. It’s a great game now and it will be when it shows up at my door.

#1634 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

Well said, couldn't agree more.
It's alot easier to pump them out when you're not doing anything original.

#1635 5 years ago

I agree as well!!!! Layout is great and code is awesome, lots of toys still left on this game. And still a lot more that can be done if keefer is allowed to continue doing code. some more integration with the camera would be cool. Maybe even something goofy like overlapping a pic on a dancing pirate? Okay maybe that's too much, lol
And I did watch Dead men tell no tales yesterday evening.

#1636 5 years ago

Just saw this on Facebook:

TOMORROW 5/16 - We are streaming POTC LIVE at 3PM Central/4PM Eastern! Spinning map awards making their debut- See ya then! https://www.twitch.tv/jjplive

#1638 5 years ago

Can't wait. It will be great to see how they have done it.

#1639 5 years ago

i like the theme
Great machine

#1640 5 years ago

If anybody in the nyc area wants to come play POTC, we’ll have one on free play on Sunday at the New York City pinball Championships.

$10 spectator tickets available.

http://projectpinball.org/events/new-york-city-pinball-championship-2018/

#1641 5 years ago

Looking forward to playing it this weekend at the Golden Gate pinball festival.

#1643 5 years ago

watching the stream right now. I actually didn't even really notice much of a visual difference in the disk. However... I do miss the lights they had on the multi disk previously

#1644 5 years ago

The spinner doesn't appear to affect the ball very much at all. The spinners on the old Bally's were rubberized with ridges to catch the ball. For anyone buying this game I would suggest never waxing the disk...

The screen graphics are definitely the best yet for JJP and I really like the left outlane/flipper lane configuration copied from Fathom. I assume that was done on purpose with both being nautical themes? The rocking ship is definitely a cool toy and my favorite part when I got to play it last fall.

#1645 5 years ago

Twitch archive is up from today

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/262106242

#1646 5 years ago

Just watched the stream.

I feel like if they added a huge dose of humor and comedy into the code it would make it 100x more desirable.

What I loved most about the movies was the humor. And I feel like it’s largely missing from the game.

There is the Arrgh mode. But otherwise it’s way to serious with chapters, characters.

Change it up, make it funny and fun. And JJp will sell a lot more POTC.

It’s supposed to be a fun entertaining game. And it is. But it desperately needs the POTC humor restored.

#1647 5 years ago

Why is there no reference to Rum anywhere in the game? We are talking Pirates aren't we?

#1648 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Why is there no reference to Rum anywhere in the game? We are talking Pirates aren't we?

Because the rum is all gone

#1649 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Because the rum is all gone

Lol!

#1650 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Eric mentioned this in a past stream. Disney said no references to alcohol could be made in the game...Eric thought or told Disney "Have you seen these movies"? What a stupid licensing restriction by Disney considering that all 5 films have at least a few references to rum in them. Same thing applied to guns and that's why the spinning pirate toy is holding a sword versus a gun.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.