IMG_1197 (resized).jpg
IMG_1196 (resized).jpg
IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 67.
#1451 5 years ago

I wouldn't worry about the different mode light shows and animations. Eric told me that they are concentrating on shipping with "complete" code to cover all of the games modes and mutli-balls. He said that doesn't mean it would be "finished" code as they would still enhance light shows, videos, animations, etc after the pin is released into production. They are pretty much prioritizing getting the base code "complete" and all of the eye candy can follow afterwards. It looks like someone is working on the eye candy stuff once Keith completes another piece of the main code as you can see progression with that in their videos. Just keep that in mind.

#1452 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I agree. The multiballs and modes all feel similar due to the lack of licensed assets such as film actor audio and film actor video. There are 100+ modes but they are not on the same level of say Hobbit book modes that feature video and audio clips (with the actors) along with the audio "stingers" that David Theil added that are played when shots are made within a book mode.
In POTC I can get a mode called "Hello Poppet" and I see a vague video clip at the start with no actors from the film. There's no way to relate the 5 second clip and the shots to what is happening in the movie scene that the mode is based on. Same goes with multiballs with them all feeling similar as there's nothing visually, beyond the multiball intro videos, to make them unique. Imagine LOTR mode and multiballs without any film actor audio, no DMD animations based on the film, and replace all of it with a single animation that represents the film. That game would be nowhere near as immersive in the themes world as the pin we know today.
With all of that being set I think the lack of actor audio and actor film video isn't a deal breaker for many, including myself, as the game has a lot of other things going for it. The ruleset that Keith Johnson and the team created is very engaging, Erics layout is a blast to shoot, David Thiels custom music / audio is excellent, and JP's animation work is once again the best in the industry. Combine all of that with some cool toys plus the character abilities and you have one hell of an amazing and fun pin.

Yeah I wasn’t knocking it. I’m buying either way but I hope something happens to capture the movie or chapters you are playing. It’s a great layout but just seems hollow or soulless at the moment. It all feels/looks the same regardless of what your doing currently and I don’t know if that will be good long term in the home.

Just pulled into the show at Allentown, gonna play me some Pirates! Shiver me timbers!

#1453 5 years ago

I thought I heard Eric say something about Disney still having to agree to some stuff. So we might still get lucky and get some more out of Disney.

#1454 5 years ago

Not sure if this is true, mentioned in Alien thread, but supposedly Johnny Depp wanted $100k to use his audio and / or video from the films. If the fee was $100k for 1 film I can see saying no but for 5 films that's a "deal" considering the importance of the character.

Over 2,000 games that's only $50 per game and would have added heavily to immersing the player in the POTC world. JJP is likely saving at least $50 per game now by switching to a single disk on POTC and the trunk remaining open.

Again, can't confirm if this is true. It could have been $100k for audio but no video, only a few lines, assets from 1 movie, it wasn't $100k but really $1 million, who knows. I'm sure there's other costs to consider as well (having to pull those lines from the films, additional coding, etc).

#1455 5 years ago

I really like the ships and the sunset colors. I think it looks great.

#1456 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Over 2,000 games that's only $50 per game

You left out a lot of stuff.

Depp's agents and attorneys get paid. JJP's attorneys get paid to do all the foot work.

Then what ever you use or add in, has to be approved by Disney. What if they say NO ? $100K plus costs and programming wasted and back to square one.

Then consider some if not all of the other 23 characters. What a F'ing nightmare.

This has been done to death in previous threads and posts.

LTG : )

#1457 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Depp's agents and attorneys get paid. JJP's attorneys get paid to do all the foot work.
Then what ever you use or add in, has to be approved by Disney. What if they say NO ? $100K plus costs and programming wasted and back to square one.
Then consider some if not all of the other 23 characters. What a F'ing nightmare.

Yup, all great points, didn't think of those. Sounds like there's a lot of stuff involved with licensing and it gets expensive quick.

#1458 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If 9.5K a pop can't get that done, it may be time to reassess the practicality of many licensed themes.

Does the theme provide enough bang for the buck?

#1459 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Every manufacturer runs right into what Gary Stern said years ago.

Call distributors and tell them the new licensed title game that is coming. Orders flow in.

Call distributors and tell them an unlicensed game is coming. Maybe they'll take one or two.

Until that does an about turn. We'll keep seeing licensed titles.

Or we have 5 or 6 manufacturers cranking out 100,000 units a year. Then there'd be more opportunities for unlicensed games.

#1460 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Now that everyone has moved on from the disc, you all are complaining about the apron color!? Not having enough zeros?! What next? That it has 4 legs?
Awesome to see the code mature with each stream. This will be a great game when complete.

A Pirate game should at least have 1 peg leg.

#1461 5 years ago

Finally got to play this today. Stood in line for an hour watching it so got to see quite a bit.
It’s going to be interesting to see how long these stay in people’s collections.

Talking to several people at the show, the impression I got is you either love it or hate it.

I think the code needs to be developed so there is a little more immersion to the theme as several mentioned earlier.
Even though no games can really ever be the same,the chapters and multiballs even though named differently and score differently all feel the same visually.

Music and callouts are good and it really is a nice looking machine.

I like it so keeping my order but it sure helps that I’m a fan of the franchise in general.

There are some clever and difficult shots with the layout and cool subway system so from a shooting perspective it is pretty good.

Something with the theming is just slightly off though in my opinion. I think it’s little things they can tweak without infringing in licensing issues so hopefully this evolves a bit more.

Just my 2 cents!

Quoted from NoQuarters:

A Pirate game should at least have 1 peg leg.

That would be cool as unique for sure

#1462 5 years ago

I think Captian Barbosa had a peg leg in the last movie.. but they probably cant use it.
how much do you think the monkey wants to use him in the game? maybe they could afford that

#1463 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I think Captian Barbosa had a peg leg in the last movie.. but they probably cant use it.
how much do you think the monkey wants to use him in the game? maybe they could afford that

I heard he works for peanuts.

#1464 5 years ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

I heard he works for peanuts.

He works for Rum... even drinks it out of his peg leg!

#1465 5 years ago

If they would just add the “Yo ho, yo ho . . . a pirate’s life for me” and a rum drinking multiball, it would be all good for me.

#1466 5 years ago
Quoted from wcbu64:

If they would just add the “Yo ho, yo ho . . . a pirate’s life for me” and a rum drinking multiball, it would be all good for me.

Stuff like this is what the game is lacking.... character/soul and the humor from the franchise.

#1467 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

supposedly Johnny Depp wanted $100k to use his audio and / or video from the films. If the fee was $100k for 1 film I can see saying no but for 5 films that's a "deal" considering the importance of the character.

It's easy to throw around $100k when it's not your money!

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Over 2,000 games that's only $50 per game

That's still $50 every game, which is legit money, but beyond that, it's I think news to us all if they're pre-sold 2000 games. Not guaranteed they ever will even.

I get it, I think it was a dumb license to pick at all frankly, but I think you have to be reasonable about, well, what's reasonable.

#1468 5 years ago

Yikes, we went from Yo ho to spinning disk and spun right back into the lack of DVD content.... They will never win with any direction.

#1469 5 years ago

Can JJP use any assets from the actual ride? Wouldn’t the “yo, ho, yo, ho” song be part of the ride’s assets? There are plenty of funny ideas and other items that could definitely be incorporated into the game. I could only imagine that the machine would end up somewhere near the ride at the parks too.

#1470 5 years ago

What about drunken sailor mode with opposite flippers, the pin does need a bit more humour. Arrr frenzy is a good start.

#1471 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Yikes, we went from Yo ho to spinning disk and spun right back into the lack of DVD content.... They will never win with any direction.

It isn’t the dvd content but more how they are integrating it. They are still adding stuff so this may change a bit.

#1472 5 years ago

It's all in the programming anything is possible

#1473 5 years ago

It would be cool if JJP could engineer the software to make it easy for owners to swap music and put some of their own in.

#1474 5 years ago
Quoted from Rockytop:

It would be cool if JJP could engineer the software to make it easy for owners to swap music and put some of their own in.

You could also get one of those mini TV mods and play clips from the movies but because the playfield is so packed I don't know where you would put it.

#1475 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

You could also get one of those mini TV mods and play clips from the movies but because the playfield is so packed I don't know where you would put it.

On a standard you could probably put in right where the starfield is located

#1476 5 years ago

Let me ask this because maybe I’m missing something and I played and watched others for quite a while yesterday.

The multiballs all seem like the same thing except for the title stating the movies multiball. There doesn’t really seem to be anything unique or distinguishable going on where you can say, damn that at worlds end multi ball was crazy good and actually remember it.

What can be done to make these a little more immersive and memorable?

#1477 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

What about drunken sailor mode with opposite flippers

That is a cool idea!

#1478 5 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

On a standard you could probably put in right where the starfield is located

Or maybe to the left where the mountains are, on the standard

#1479 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

The multiballs all seem like the same thing except for the title stating the movies multiball. There doesn’t really seem to be anything unique or distinguishable going on where you can say, damn that at worlds end multi ball was crazy good and actually remember it.

I think it would be cool for chest multiball when you lock your second ball the machine goes dark except for the chest and all you hear is the heart beating thump thump and you have about 20 seconds to lock your third ball and if you don't get it it releases a ball ,to make you really earn that multiball. Just a thought.

#1480 5 years ago

It would be great if the multiball start animation would be longer and more intense. Think Addams family.
If you already are in a multiball, you would get the short animations that are right now.
The animations are short, but looks great.

#1481 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

It would be great if the multiball start animation would be longer

I think all the clips should be at least 2 seconds longer, they're over before you know it

#1482 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

put it right on top of the treasure chest. It's stationary and not going anywhere......

#1483 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

If 9.5K a pop can't get that done, it may be time to reassess the practicality of many licensed themes.

In light of the success of Dialed In and TNA?

Absolutely not in this case.

Moreover, I think a good, campy original pirate theme would blow PotC out of the water.

But this was in development for a long time ... possibly also part of a rights package from Disney, if they also have Toy Story & Muppets.

Maybe we can hope for an original vault edition of it, 10 years hence.

#1484 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Moreover, I think a good, campy original pirate theme would blow PotC out of the water.

Even without the actors there are that many clips from FIVE movies that you couldn't even get close to Potc by animating and filming your own scenes for a non licenced pirate pin. Just hope they didn't pay to much.

#1485 5 years ago
Quoted from Axl:

It would be great if the multiball start animation would be longer and more intense. Think Addams family.
If you already are in a multiball, you would get the short animations that are right now.
The animations are short, but looks great.

What start animation are you refering to? The one that has the title and cannons around it? Those are the only ones I really remember and are all pretty much the same. Gibbs calls out the name of multiball during this as well but nothing overly exciting really.

#1486 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Even without the actors there are that many clips from FIVE movies that you couldn't even get close to Potc by animating and filming your own scenes for a non licenced pirate pin. Just hope they didn't pay to much.

I doubt they'd film anything - possibly some green screen ... and of course you could re: graphics and animations. Literally everything has to fit a brief and then be approved for PotC.

Though they have a ton of video assets in already from the films, they're hardly memorable or bombastic ... the animations and effects on the other hand? They're far more visually arresting, and look absolutely awesome.

#1487 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

it's I think news to us all if they're pre-sold 2000 games.

Its not news but I do think its bullshit, I doubt very much that 2000 JJPOTC have been pre-ordered and doubt even further it will reach that level of production. JMO I have no idea but always hard to accept facts from the fanboys. Honestly I hope they sell 3000 units or more but come on.

#1488 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Its not news but I do think its bullshit, I doubt very much that 2000 JJPOTC have been pre-ordered and doubt even further it will reach that level of production. JMO I have no idea but always hard to accept facts from the fanboys. Honestly I hope they sell 3000 units or more but come on.

Totally agree, some people live in fantasy land. That number is ridiculous.

#1489 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Totally agree, some people live in fantasy land. That number is ridiculous.

Jack said it took 4-5 months to get a 1000 pre orders on DI and 4-5 weeks to get a 1000 pre orders on Potc. so I can believe they're up to 2000 pre orders easily. Not that it makes any difference.

#1490 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Jack said it took 4-5 months to get a 1000 pre orders on DI and 4-5 weeks to get a 1000 pre orders on Potc. so I can believe they're up to 2000 pre orders easily. Not that it makes any difference.

Good, I hope thats the case but who knows where they are now after the changes and its not like these company owners would ever lie, right? Like you said, "not that it makes any difference" as long as its being made then I'm happy. Look forward to playing this game.

#1491 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

But the internet giveth and the internet taketh away. I can't imagine they still have 2k preorders after ring-gate.

#1492 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I can't imagine they still have 2k preorders

I agree their probably up to 3k after everyone has seen the progress they are making on the live streams.

#1493 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Jack said it took 4-5 months to get a 1000 pre orders on DI and 4-5 weeks to get a 1000 pre orders on Potc.

More an indictment to how bad the DI reveal was, and then how it became a sleeper hit.

#1494 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Absolutely. Every dollar spent in a game is considered. Listen to the last Head 2 Head podcast where they interviewed Keith Johnson. Gary Stern was concerned over a toy Balrog that was $50. He said if he has a toy that costs $50 it must come out every game.

So saying $50 is not a big deal is not accurate.

#1495 5 years ago

I really have no knowledge in this area, but wouldn’t 1000 or more preorders be huge? First of all, we are talking about a subset of the pinball population who buys NIB, and the most expensive NIB games at that. Then, we are talking about those who plunk down money (albeit refundable) on a game they haven’t played, or played very little of, even though it will be sold for years and there is no risk in not getting one at some point. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure JJP will sell well in excess of 2000 or 3000 games. I would just be really surprised if there are that many who actually preorder.

#1496 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

More an indictment to how bad the DI reveal was, and then how it became a sleeper hit.

I don't think the reveal would have much to do with it ,an unknown theme like dialled in is easy to dismiss and it takes a bit for people to play it and get to know it. Where as a popular theme people are a lot more comfortable to jump on early.

#1497 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I don't think the reveal would have much to do with it ,an unknown theme like dialled in is easy to dismiss and it takes a bit for people to play it and get to know it. Where as a popular theme people are a lot more comfortable to jump on early.

No, the reveal was awful and had a lot to do with it.

#1498 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No, the reveal was awful and had a lot to do with it.

I'll take your word for it

#1499 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

The event was really bad, and terribly staged, but it was always going to take a while to get off the ground, given the original theme.

I think people's scepticism about original themes is pretty much gone now, though.

Dialed In is the second most important game of the 2010s for that reason, IMO - WOZ being the first (as it was the first of a new wave).

#1500 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I keep hearing DI being called a hit I just don't see it being that neather the 150 CE or 2500 LE have sold out I would like to know what numbers are a hit a 1000 games 1500 game ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.