IMG_1197 (resized).jpg
IMG_1196 (resized).jpg
IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 67.
#501 6 years ago
Quoted from altan:

I haven't seen this mentioned, but Judge Dredd effectively has a 2 "ring" motor. The big deadworld spins in one direction while the planet on top spins in the other direction.
Yes... I know this is only 2 "rings". Also, it spins significantly slower. But something to at least acknowledge.
... Altan

It also was totally scrapped on the production models.

#502 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

[comment removed]

There is only one asshole here...it isn’t Keith.

#503 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

No one has paid for anything, just made fully-refundable deposits.

If you are realy staff at jjp ,I find this a real stupid response and totaly not professional better ask your PR people to react in stead of the soldering dude

#504 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Classy!

#505 6 years ago
Quoted from tiesmasc:

Disappointing from many perspectives but from a support and ultimate user experience perspective likely the best choices.
That said the artwork in the disk area really needs work. It might even be better just leaving the artwork as it was (but removing words and lights, etc) similar to what is shown below or even just replacing with the compass style design would be much better than what was shown.

I still look forward to playing this...

The middle of the playfield is a far better place to put the visual of the compass pointing to what you want the most. Maybe a combination of a round LCD window in the middle of the playfield combined with an outer rim spinning disk that you could sync up with video could be a decent looking alternative. That would put the compass in much better place that's easy to see and eliminate the apron lcd. I've never liked the positioning of the mini-lcd compass on the apron since you need to take your eyes off the playfield to see what's on it and it's not even the shape of compass.

#506 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

If you are realy staff at jjp ,I find this a real stupid response and totaly not professional better ask your PR people to react in stead of the soldering dude

How is simply confirming that the deposits are refundable to the panicking masses stupid? I'm sure the folks at JJP are freaking out to find a better solution to the issue, until they figure it out what else is there to say? Nobody is getting burned here. You know what's also stupid? Insulting a respected staff member of ANY pinball company that takes the time out of their day to post here. If you haven't noticed there aren't very many left due to shit like this... great job!

#507 6 years ago

Didnt i hear somebody say eric was due to appear on a certain podcast today>? I wonder if that appearance was cancelled>??

#508 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Didnt i hear somebody say eric was due to appear on a certain podcast today>? I wonder if that appearance was cancelled>??

That's what Kaneda said the other day, not sure if its still happening.

#509 6 years ago
Quoted from srmonte:

[commentry removed]

You seem like a nice person.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.18.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.18.30 PM (resized).png

#510 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

He is the programmer of WOZ, LOTR, and TSPP just to give you a clue who he is and what he contributes to the hobby.

People, let us all try to be civil in expressing our disagreements.

#511 6 years ago

The whole thing is a lesson in how NOT to reveal a new game. Not only has the hype worn off by the time it actually ships, but any changes are going to be open to criticism.

3 discs or not, the game is still packed with unique features. Yet now the only thing anyone is talking about is what has been taken out!

Had it been announced without the discs, now, everyone would be losing their sh*t about how good it is.

#512 6 years ago

Moderator's comment:

For those who need reminding: any personal attacks on members of this site (and especially attacks directed at representatives of manufacturers) is unacceptable and will not be tolerated. Please express yourself in a civil manner or you will be booted from the thread.

#513 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Nobody is getting burned here.

Except the people who can't get a deposit refund or have to pay a fee on their refund.

Those people seem burnt.

Quoted from SilverballNut:

I just got the refund (minus fees) posted to my paypal account.

Quoted from ronaldvg:

Not in Europe. 1000 Euro non-refundable.

#514 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Except the people who can't get a deposit refund or have to pay a fee on their refund.
Those people seem burnt.

Oh. Well dang... OK. Yeah, I agree with your prognosis.

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.40.29 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.40.29 PM (resized).png

#515 6 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

How is simply confirming that the deposits are refundable to the panicking masses stupid? I'm sure the folks at JJP are freaking out to find a better solution to the issue, until they figure it out what else is there to say? Nobody is getting burned here. You know what's also stupid? Insulting a respected staff member of ANY pinball company that takes the time out of their day to post here. If you haven't noticed there aren't very many left due to shit like this... great job!

Just believe me when I say I don't know who he is but if he is staff I think he shouldn't be giving false info.
That's never a nice thing to do.
I don't think it's a good business model to say to people who are excited for their new purchase and
clearly not happy with sudden last minute radical changes ,you can always take your money and run
It's going from an uber cool innovative 3 disk contra spinning with modes and lights feature to a 80's spinning disk that looks like a pancake, that's disappointing
But that's just my 2 ct's
Didn't mean to offend him.

I like soldering btw.

#516 6 years ago

The problem is, right or wrong, JJP has tarnished their reputation with a lot of people here with the way the entire POTC thing has been handled. Whether people are justified in feeling slighted or not, the fact is this is not good for JJP. They really need put this one to bed somehow and really examine their marketing tactics going forward. This is not a one-off for them and it's time they learn from their past mistakes. This shit-hole that they find themselves in could have been avoided.

#517 6 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

Just believe me when I say I don't know who he is but if he is staff I think he shouldn't be giving false info.
That's never a nice thing to do.

All good. He was just trying to be helpful, he's basically one of the greatest programmers ever. I don't think a pinball company can control a distros pre-order policies. But sounds like they need to step in for this case. The distro should really be held accountable for that. I like soldering too!

#518 6 years ago

Just reading into keefers comment. It doesnt shine a very good light on any chance of good reaction coming from the JJP team after this debacle. Seems like they are content with what they are doing

#519 6 years ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

No one has paid for anything, just made fully-refundable deposits.

WOZ was different since people had made payments for something expected. Plus, it's a lot harder to play a game without lights than what we're talking about here.

Really classy.
Reminds me of the days when jack was allowed to post on pinside and would say such nasty things to potential customers.

#520 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Really classy.
Reminds me of the days when jack was allowed to post on pinside and would say such nasty things to potential customers.

There is nothing he said that is offensive or not true. Nobody was forced or asked to give money and if they did like me they were returned that money no questions. Keefer has got to be one of the most stand up class act people I have ever met in this hobby. Well maybe a tie with Lloyd, he's just crazy pinball smart.

#521 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

There is nothing he said that is offensive or not true. Nobody was forced or asked to give money and if they did like me they were returned that money no questions. Keefer has got to be one of the most stand up class act people I have ever met in this hobby. Well maybe a tie with Lloyd, he's just crazy pinball smart.

Maybe you should read all the posts before commenting...

#522 6 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

It came across as they don’t value our deposits, which translates to interest in the game.
Well, I’m getting my deposit back and use it to pay for Alice Cooper (assuming it’s the same layout as I saw in the videos).

#523 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Not in Europe. 1000 Euro non-refundable.

That sucks man. Just a slap in the face.

#524 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

It can’t be true. It’s a different game than originally advertised. Easy lawsuit in US.

#525 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Yes. It really is, because I have always trusted JJP in that what they do they would do to the best of their ability. Otherwise I would not have ordered the CE if I was not confident about that.

I really do believe this is a matter of money, no matter what they say, otherwise they are in desperate need of better engineers.

#526 6 years ago
Quoted from Spencer:

Maybe you should read all the posts before commenting...

What post exactly did I miss that his response was correct? Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

#527 6 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

It can’t be true. It’s a different game than originally advertised. Easy lawsuit in US.

I will try to reason with the distributor about this. What makes me sad is that I do believe that this is not a decision of Eric or Jack - again no matter what they say - as they seem to have a passion for pinball that goes beyond beancounting. Sadly that does not count for much anymore these days. I have bought every JJP as a NIB, but I am very disappointed how this is going.

#528 6 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

Yes. It really is, because I have always trusted JJP in that what they do they would do to the best of their ability. Otherwise I would not have ordered the CE iff I was not confident about that.
I really do believe this is a matter of money, no matter what they say, otherwise they are in desperate need of better engineers.

And/or another bean counter.

Hard for me to buy the idea that over all these many months they didn’t have a handle on the BOM?

Possible that the $$ man said trim it? No more production delays?

I sure hope they didn’t already order the big pizza disc in bulk.

Guessing they just said F it. We will put it out there and sell as many as we can and move on to the next title.

Really bad move

#529 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Most Canadians don't mind ignorant statements like this, makes us look better practically ever where we go across the planet. I wish you were here to say that to my face buddy.

AGREED!!!- this is why when we Canadians go out in the world we are so much better respected and liked as we don't have the ignorant attitude and the "we are so great mentality" of some others- maybe we should build a wall!!!! lol

#530 6 years ago

This thread will be 10k before Wednesday!

#531 6 years ago

There is a much, much bigger danger here than upsetting people, and that’s boring people. It’s getting boring. I’m bored with the hype-shows, bored with the delays, bored with the amateur-hour manufacturing. Not just this clusterfuck, but everywhere. And I’m just an average Joe, so if I’m losing interest, then a lot of others are as well.

Hype is way gone here and my money’s already gone to IMDN, and the sad thing is it is not about whether I am happy about the changes or not, it’s whether I care.

#532 6 years ago
#533 6 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

Just reading into keefers comment. It doesnt shine a very good light on any chance of good reaction coming from the JJP team after this debacle. Seems like they are content with what they are doing

No, but I do know that the new map animations representing the 3x spinning disk on the LCD look considerably better then anything from other pinball manufacturers. While there is a sense of value lost in the terms of physical components there is still a single spinning disk and even more high quality code work that is being pumped into POTC.

#534 6 years ago

While not a popular opinion in this thread, I’m one of the supporters of announcing a game and putting it on location to test out the toys/features. Those are things that can’t be remedied with code. However, I like knowing that my machine will hold up, especially when dropping 12k on it. Granted, they did hype up the 3-ring spinner, and I questioned its durability when it was announced, but it was surprising that it took this long to realize they weren’t going to work. I’m still in on my game at this point, and I’ll wait to see the finalized product before I lose my sh;t...the game is still packed, but I too am disappointed in the loss of the rings. I’ll still support JJP (and the other makers that are making great machines), and just view this ordeal as another bump in the pinball road.

#535 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

While there is a sense of value lost in the terms of physical components there is still a single spinning disk and even more high quality code work that is being pumped into POTC.

But there-in lies the problem. The nice thing about the three discs for me was that they counterreact to eachother, so the effect on a fast moving ball is not that much but it is noticeable. A single disc a-la Xmen just slings the ball around and that right above the flippers. I am not liking that at all. Also it takes out some of the gameplay as all three rings had to be activated one by one. That is now just one shot, or three to get the single one moving.

Safe to say I am not a fan of a single disc at all. Also I went to play the machine and liked it, but now it will play substantially different due to the change to one large disc as opposed to two rings and one smaller disc.

#536 6 years ago

I will say this. I know it’s Eric’s baby, but I feel he’s been left twisting in the wind a bit. Even though he’s happy with the alternative I’m sure he wishes the original design was in place. JJP had to know the news would not be met positively and for that matter it might have been better for a press release to come from JJP. This was not a call made by one person. Given the license there may have been deadlines to meet and they had to go with the most reliable mech.

The company should learn from this. It’s their fourth machine. Don’t over promise and under deliver.

I’ve been playing my Dialed In! And smiling. JJP still makes a great product. This one just hurts more because of how amazing the original design was.

#537 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

The company should learn from this. It’s their fourth machine. Don’t over promise and under deliver.
I’ve been playing my Dialed In! And smiling. JJP still makes a great product. This one just hurts more because of how amazing the original design was.

Completely agree with you. I’m enjoying Dialed In right now and really looking forward to POTC. I will trust that JJP will deliver another incredible pin and I hope they listens to their loyal customers/supporters

#538 6 years ago
Quoted from Spankey:

Don’t over promise and under deliver.

That's really what it comes down to, regardless of the reasoning behind their decisions.

#539 6 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

That's really what it comes down to, regardless of the reasoning behind their decisions.

jjp has to be concerned. even the canadians are pissed!

#540 6 years ago

For me it isn’t simply going from the 3x spinner to the single. The art is horrendous to look at on that spinner and really diminishes the overall look.

Let me ask this.

If they revealed this change with a single disc showing fantastic art and integration of theme, would there be as many of us totally bummed out?

#541 6 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

jjp has to be concerned. even the canadians are pissed!

In the most polite way possible of course

#542 6 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

For me it isn’t simply going from the 3x spinner to the single. The art is horrendous to look at on that spinner and really diminishes the overall look.
Let me ask this.
If they revealed this change with a single disc showing fantastic art and integration of theme, would there be as many of us totally bummed out?

I would have been much less upset.

I get mechs can be finicky. To fix it with that hideous decal was a black eye on the whole machine. It would still suck but it would feel like they at least tried.

#543 6 years ago
Quoted from Ns2973:

I would have been much less upset.
I get mechs can be finicky. To fix it with that hideous decal was a black eye on the whole machine. It would still suck but it would feel like they at least tried.

It's kind of like an AC/DC LE/Premium now vs Ugly Angus faced Pro.

#544 6 years ago

Maybe they are so brilliant that they knew they had to make this change but then said let's make it ugly so people can complain... then we can "improve" it and people will be satisfied.

Kind of like going from the original coke to new coke and then back to "coke classic" (which wasn't the same as original coke) and then everyone was happy to have that over the new coke.

... yes I'm a dreamer

#545 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I hope everybody remembers this next time it seems like the end of the world that a game isn't being revealed at a show, but I doubt it.

Damn right. Never show something too early, it's always stupid, IMHO. People are impatient, they whine about waiting, but it's sure a lot better than the kind of outrage something like this provokes.

I have a mod I've been working on for years, keeps getting delayed by life etc. Whatever, cry me a river, but before Alien I thought I was close to finishing it. I still held off on showing it before I was sure it was truly done, and I'm sure glad I did, it's changed a lot since then, and I definitely don't want to listen to people telling me they liked the old version better. Showing the process is rarely worth the headaches.

Quoted from jorro:

ask your PR people to react in stead of the soldering dude

I really liked the soldering he did on Alien Invasion, the wires were tinned just right.

#546 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

For me these changes highlight how little I care for the theme. POTC is not a dream theme for me but with the full package they unveiled it seemed magical. It was just enough cool shit to cross over into "gotta have it" territory. Now that it's being stripped down it's falling out of that zone for a lot of people.
The calculus for the average high-end pin buyer is something like THEME+FEATURES/PRICE = BUY or NOBUY.

This was the post i was looking for again.

Exactly what i was thinking when watching the original reveal in Chicago last October.

Dream theme? No. But when they rolled out the entire package it really did seem "magical"! Blown away.

The spinning discs represented some of the coolest "gotta have it" shit out there. No movie clips with actors? So what. No original call outs or music? So what.

The upper PF rocking ship combined with the discs, artwork, layout, Keith coding just made it a SPECIAL pin.

Ordered a CE with Joe that night.

Tell me how stripping down a game at this point comports with Jack's statement from day one that he wants "Woz to be the least innovative pin JJP ever creates and they expect to do better each time out"?

#547 6 years ago

1st world problems

#548 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Yes but he’s not helping the situation.

#549 6 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

Yes but he’s not helping the situation.

I didn't see anything wrong with any of his comments here - concise, to the point, with zero attitude. I thought we wanted to hear from people at these companies, right?

#550 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I didn't see anything wrong with any of his comments here - concise, to the point, with zero attitude. I thought we wanted to hear from people at these companies, right?

He’s referring to WoZ down payments being different than POTC down payments. Totally disagree. Money paid on anything in advance takes away another opportunity to use those funds. Accepting the money is a promise to someone to deliver the agreed upon product.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production/page/11?hl=zpinman370 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.