IMG_1195 (resized).jpg
IMG_1194 (resized).jpg
IMG_1173 (resized).jpg
IMG_1171 (resized).jpg
AFE12146-611A-4431-863C-2CD1C772E89C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

6 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #593 The new artwork in high-res Posted by pinball_keefer (5 years ago)

Post #2454 Link to livestream of play on one of the first machines off the line Posted by solarvalue (5 years ago)

Post #2464 Picture of first jjPotCs on the line Posted by mountaingamer (5 years ago)

Post #2496 Link to Jack's "shipping" cartwheel for jjPotC. Posted by KingBW (5 years ago)

Post #2561 Comparison of prototype and final under playfields Posted by Join_The_Cirqus (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 67.
#1 5 years ago

Hey guys and gals,

Made a video update of our progress toward production on JJPOTC.

Hope to see you guys this weekend at MGC!

We'll be back next week Wednesday (4/18/2018) on the live-stream!

Thanks,

Eric

#2 5 years ago

Wow i really liked the multiple spinning disk and the trunk being able to open and close. Disappointing but reliability and playability are more important overall. Thanks for the updates.

#3 5 years ago

Great update. I thought the triple discs were a bit much, too loud and dizzying. A single whirlwind disc would be much better. The award animations look incredible anyways. And I like seeing my locked balls during gameplay, so another plus there. Can’t wait for my CE!

#4 5 years ago

That’s too bad. You’ve removed in my opinion one of your “premium” most complex mechs after we fell in love with it. (The disc, it was very JJP in the sense there was nothing like it before.) And it’s theme integration was top notch.

Although as a customer hunting for my first NIB JJP game soon this makes me sad, it is however a super smart business decision and I’m sure it will still be a tremendous game. JJP making what I’m sure was a very hard decision with these removals will make them a stronger business in my opinion. The risk reward on this one doesn’t pan out I suppose. And we still get the cannon firing ship!!!
This will also help them keep up the tremendous customer service If they don’t have to replace 300 spinning mechs under warranty.

#5 5 years ago

Wow, that's not cool. What's next, the rocking playfield is too unreliable so we'll have to make it stationary? Thinking about bailing out now...

#6 5 years ago

I'm really confused. Can you expand on how the spinning disc works now?
1 spinning disc In the middle with inserts? With words lkke

Award
Plunder
Advance
Etx

Art on the playfield that make up her other 2 rings?
Then the disc stops and the 2 sets of inserts light up to give you the award anywhere on thr disc instead of at 6 o'clock since the 2nd party is now static?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I'm really confused. Can you expand on how the spinning disc works now?
1 spinning disc In the middle with inserts? With words lkke
Award
Plunder
Advance
Etx
Art on the playfield that make up her other 2 rings?
Then the disc stops and the 2 sets of inserts light up to give you the award anywhere on thr disc instead of at 6 o'clock since the 2nd party is now static?

Very curious about this also

#8 5 years ago

dang, the only jjp potc i played was at tpf and the disc wasnt working. so i guess ill never get to experience it (but sounds like it needed to be changed)

thanks for the update!

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Very curious about this also

Ok
So if you look at the playfield art there are no inserts anymore. On the disc OR outside of the spinning disc

So everything gets awarded on the screen. That's the animation you where looking at over and over again

#10 5 years ago

Really appreciate the update. From a customer perspective it's a bummer to see features being removed yet the price remaining the same. I hope JJP makes up the cost savings, from having two less complex mechs, by adding to other areas of the game.

I still think POTC is one of the coolest looking pins ever create. The map award animations look of very high quality and blows away anything other manufacturers are creating.

#11 5 years ago

It seems like a lot to take out of a $9500 game.
As a replacement for removed mechs I would suggest making the right ramp have a diverter to go back to the right flipper some of the time instead of always going to the rocking upper playfield.

#12 5 years ago

Hard choices I'm sure. It must have been very frustrating for the JJP team to have to throw out all the development work they did on the multiple disc mechanism because they couldn't get it to work reliably. Making pinball is hard!

I wonder what the prototypes with the original discs will be worth in a few years time - cool collector's items.

#13 5 years ago

Personally, very disappointed the 3 spinning wheels will be removed.
Had a lot of time on a prototype machine at banning. I inspected this mech playfield up a few times. I saw the biggest flaw was the nylon guides, felt they should be metal or bearings.
Sad to see this top notch feature removed.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Personally, very disappointed the 3 spinning wheels will be removed.
Had a lot of time on a prototype machine at banning. I inspected this mech playfield up a few times. I saw the biggest flaw was the nylon guides, felt they should be metal or bearings.
Sad to see this top notch feature removed.

Yeah, it's a bummer. The 3 disk spinning map is a main feature on the game and now is gone

#15 5 years ago

Seems like this was a video to announce things they're just removing. Disappointing. I do think the new graphics for the spinning disc is cool though.... Too bad they couldn't make it work in production....

#16 5 years ago

I’m sure the decision wasn’t taken lightly. Good for JJP to take preemptive action. This is why games should not be rushed. Get it right the first time and save headaches from occurring down the road. Do the discs no longer all spin at all, even for awards? I could see them not spinning all the time to deflect the ball, but would be cool for a random award.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I’m sure the decision wasn’t taken lightly. Good for JJP to take preemptive action. This is why games should not be rushed. Get it right the first time and save headaches from occurring down the road. Do the discs no longer all spin at all, even for awards? I could see them not spinning all the time to deflect the ball, but would be cool for a random award.

I think they are now one single whirlwind style spinning disk instead of three concentric independently spinning disks/rings.

#18 5 years ago

Not happy.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I think they are now one single whirlwind style spinning disk instead of three concentric independently spinning disks/rings.

Correct, one big clunker of a disk. Might i add, 3 inches larger than the largest whirlwind disk. A la, TMNT spinning pizza.
I will say the trunk mech was a clunker, biggest problem we had on 2 prototypes.

#20 5 years ago

I will say this about the 3 spinning disks and that being they never seemed to really spin the ball more or any different (when in same direction at least) compared to just one disk. I'm glad the spinning map award concept will at least live on through the LCD.

Still, JJP needs to make up the cost savings from these items in other areas.

#21 5 years ago

In a way the chest mech is coming pre-broken. Worst case a moving mech breaks and becomes stationary. It’s like replacing an escalator with stairs cause you’re afraid it will break. (I joke, I joke.)

#22 5 years ago

Lame. Just saved me $9500.

#23 5 years ago

JJP really needs to stop showing games until they are on the assembly line.
The way they are showing games many months before the manufacturing starts causes the hype train to fade and also provides disappointments when things are removed from the original reveal of the game.

#24 5 years ago

Yep...pisses me off..boy do I hope Stern makes this Beatles machine now!

I think I’m likely tapping out unless the price drops.

#25 5 years ago

Any videos of the new disk as the original disks was the centre of attention on the playfield

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Still, JJP needs to make up the cost savings from these items in other areas.

Unless this happens, I'm seriously considering other options now.

He's so nonchalant about the whole thing. This is not a "tweak". This is the removal of the most innovative feature of your game and replacing it with the TMNT spinning pizza. Come on.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Same here. $9500 is a huge amount of dough to spend on a pin but I've been willing to do it due to interactive features such as the 3x spinning disk and chest that opened. Now I'm on the fence.

#28 5 years ago

Wow this is BS
At the Premium price in this pin, they are now removing features?
This is not OK

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

It might be simpler to just drop the price by 1K.

The price drop might also help overall sales.

#30 5 years ago

I loved the 3 discs and the havok it played on the ball.

#31 5 years ago

Perhaps the game costs more than what they had anticipated to manufacture. This will save them some money.

#32 5 years ago

This is why you shouldn't reveal games too early. The disc area looks odd to me now -- I don't know if it's because I'm so used to seeing text there, or if it was because the game artwork was originally designed with the disc text and lights in mind...

-Doug

#33 5 years ago

I’m out...again...still trying to get my first nib

1. Hobbit due to massive delays
2. Alien due to a boy and his boat
3. Pirates due to missing Q1 shipping & now this

Looks like I’ll be ripping open that Maiden pro box...spike and all

#34 5 years ago

As Tommy Boy would say “that’s gonna leave a mark”

Yeah that is a major bummer. I realize that it needs to work and be reliable but that feature was awesome

The game and shots are still there but F that’s a punch in the nuts

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

As Tommy Boy would say “that’s gonna leave a mark”
Yeah that is a major bummer. I realize that it needs to work and be reliable but that feature was awesome
The game and shots are still there but F that’s a punch in the nuts

This is going to hurt them at this price point and I’m sure they are out of time trying to make it reliable.

This games was announced so long ago that it is now time to shit or get off the pot!

I don’t think it’s even worth $8500 at this point for the LE. Maybe 8k.

#36 5 years ago

Not cool! I was in on 10 LE's and 1 Collectors editions. I will not be placing such a large order and Definitely will not be placing my order for a 12K collectors that has been now stripped of 2 very big features. I do understand reliability should always come first. However at such a high price you would expect a ton of cool features.
Pirates now has no actors from the movie in the animations. They do not have music from the movie. And now they take out the cool 3 spinning discs and a treasure chest lid that opens.

This is very disappointing!

#37 5 years ago

So one big disc with no writing...
But the screen will show it like the prototype had it?

#38 5 years ago

I have to say I'm definitely out right now. I can't help but feel cheated. This is not what I put my deposit on.

#39 5 years ago

Can you imagine the shitstorm that would occur if Stern changed Groot so that his mouth was always open?

Oh wait...you'd never know it was supposed to open and close, because Stern ships their games right after announcement.

#40 5 years ago

Here's the new spinning disk. There's no lights on it. The original spinning 3x spinning disk looked amazing. This new one instead looks pretty ugly, the decal on it doesn't go with the rest of the game in my opinion. Bummer

Screenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180413-205239 (resized).png

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from ASOA:

Not cool! I was in on 10 LE's and 1 Collectors editions. I will not be placing such a large order and Definitely will not be placing my order for a 12K collectors that has been now stripped of 2 very big features. I do understand reliability should always come first. However at such a high price you would expect a ton of cool features.
Pirates now has no actors from the movie in the animations. They do not have music from the movie. And now they take out the cool 3 spinning discs and a treasure chest lid that opens.
This is very disappointing!

Yup. 3 strikes and you're out!

#42 5 years ago

All I can say is WOW!1

#43 5 years ago

Oh pinside, you can be so dramatic.

Having played the prototype approx 30-40 times, I must say this change is welcomed. My two biggest concerns about the game were these 2 mechs. In the 30-40 games I played (half at banning and half at Ayce Gogi), the chest only worked one time. Making this toy not only a reliable locking Mech, but a reliable shot was very much needed.

As for the spinning disk; when it worked, it was cool. But it worked about 50% of the time, the other times it would do this stutter step thing like it was on its last life, it did not look or play well. We haven’t seen the new Mech in action so really can’t comment on it, but as bigd mentioned, reliability and playability are the important factors here.

I vote you all put your pinside drama aside until you see the new mechs in action. JJP pins are still the best >$8k pins on the market to date, and there’s a reason for that. Nothing else compares for the price, even IMDN-LE.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Having played the prototype approx 30-40 times, I must say this change is welcomed. My two biggest concerns about the game were these 2 mechs. In the 30-40 games I played (half at banning and half at Ayce Gogi), the chest only worked one time. Making this toy not only a reliable locking Mech, but a reliable shot was very much needed.
As for the spinning disk; when it worked, it was cool. But it worked about 50% of the time, the other times it would do this stutter step thing like it was on its last life, it did not look or play well. We haven’t seen the new Mech in action so really can’t comment on it, but as bigd mentioned, reliability and playability are the important factors here.
I vote you all put your pinside drama aside until you see the new mechs in action. JJP pins are still the best >$8k pins on the market to date, and there’s a reason for that. Nothing else compares for the price, even IMDN-LE.

They need to lower the price of this game $500 to compensate for the loss of the two mechs.

Clearly, they are saving on the BOM. Why should buyers suffer?

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Let’s be honest here.... that new spinner look like a spinning barf wheel and the game is no longer loaded with innovative toys.

As someone else said, no video content, no licensed music and really only one nice toy now.

If sales slip because of this, it ain’t going to be good for JJP.

The machine is no longer worth $9500, period.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

They need to lower the price of this game $500 to compensate for the loss of the two mechs.
Clearly, they are saving on the BOM. Why should buyers suffer?

$500 isn’t enough.

Aside from the mechs, the PF just doesn’t look as nice. The triple spinner was pretty damn cool.

#47 5 years ago

Yeah I'm probably out now

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

$500 isn’t enough.
Aside from the mechs, the PF just doesn’t look as nice. The triple spinner was pretty damn cool.

I was being nice.

LOL

#49 5 years ago

Well, that's pretty disappointing. I was hoping this Pirates was going to be so much better than Stern's, so I could convince my wife to upgrade. Not sure this will help convince her as Stern Pirates is her all time favorite.

#50 5 years ago

I was never in. It looked fine, but JJP priced me out of wanting to buy their games. There is no way I'm putting $9500 into a single game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,327 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 67.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-updates-for-production and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.