(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,095 posts
  • 99 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by harryhoudini
  • Topic is favorited by 83 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 155 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

AB9689CC-3E86-4BB8-B6E2-5DBF56051599 (resized).jpeg
D53B4D19-804C-4B88-9B81-113673AD8017 (resized).jpeg
E04A8370-E614-4E7F-8B6D-9403DC65F1FD (resized).jpeg
3121975F-7923-4EE1-9684-2979549F239B (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Cheat Heartbeat-min.gif
Lid-Bracket (resized).jpg
1FE2A9BF-5D88-4ECD-AD42-87C4602EC681 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
AC1ECC09-D487-4768-BEE6-91B577172798 (resized).jpeg
AACE8A99-8237-4F7C-BF48-2ADE8B1E54EF (resized).jpeg
8E1496FC-8D2B-455A-8DE6-48C38BDE210B (resized).png
0438BDDE-11B1-4237-9616-5A01D5228894 (resized).png
6E683879-C722-454D-8BE4-06CB1E5035CF (resized).jpeg
20190930_143532 (resized).jpg
barrel-nut (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 months ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (3 months ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (63 days ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (32 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psw757.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 months ago

Wow...awesome

I will want one!

1 week later
#8 4 months ago

Very nice!

You planning on selling kits?

#27 4 months ago

I hope you decide to make some kits and sell!

I want one, price it so it’s worth your time.

#101 4 months ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Lets just hope we get this mod mass produced and keep the re-run of the game separate as a concept.

The whole re-run concept is really a false narrative based on hope. My sources say this is really highly unlikely.

I agree, let’s get this chest mech mass produced and I’m in on the servo option.

#106 4 months ago

Could the weight of the lid on the forks have been causing some wear to the slots in PF from binding?

The fork does seem to have some wobble/play to it, just a thought as someone did show some wear to the left slot from rubbing. Maybe JJP was seeing this prematurely?

#119 3 months ago
Quoted from delt31:

This will go down as I've of the best mods ever bc it truly was intended by the designer.

I agree 100%, when they got rid of it I was like, eh..no big deal.

BUT

After seeing these close up videos of it in action, it’s a game changer! The interactive chest adds quite a bit. Really makes you wonder why they gave up on it.

#134 3 months ago

Servo for me please!

#198 3 months ago

I’m waiting for a kit

2 months later
#837 40 days ago

Any updates on what your designing to cover the coil?

#839 39 days ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Heh. I have a 3rd prototype to print out but I've been messing with my printer (silent controller install, different bed) so it's waiting to get printed. It's between two things right now.. basic one is a crate. Actually, it looks like two crates next to each other. The other option was a pile of treasure (somewhat akin to the treasure room in the potc ride). The thing is, I don't want to really call attention to the area I don't think... you sort of want it to just go away. I tried repositioning the coil a few different ways and there just isn't any space. I also bent my plastic tabs so it sits lower, but I don't know if I expect everyone to do that so we're making the piece fit over it. We made a cutout for the lid tab, as well.
I'll get it printed this weekend and post pic so you can see. Basically remove the clear protector that is there and screw this guy on. Should be pretty cost effective too, not much material or time to print and not much finish work. Trying to decide if keeping it black or dark is better, again not drawing attention to it, or painting it crate/treasure colors. Maybe I'll print out both and you guys can decide or we offer both.

Yeah, I ordered the actuator today and was poking around and thinking what would look good.

Tough spot, between the two ships and behind the chest. I was brainstorming what would make sense within the storyline of the movies?

#841 39 days ago

Yeah, same here. The only thing we could come up with are the crates or loot. The loot doesn't have to be in the chest to be consistent with the ride (Not sure about any scenes in the movie) so that sort of works. But then it draws attention behind the chest, which could be fine. If there are any other ideas, let me know. We can add on to the top of the "base" which is what we had to work on to get the right fit. Putting loot on top or whatever should be no problem.

Davey Jones figure or head?

Jack Sparrow’s little canoe?

Just thinking out loud.

#860 37 days ago

You think there is enough room there for a small diorama of the island where they are running around with the chest? Some greenery and palm trees perhaps?

#866 37 days ago

Strange. I'll check my voltage, but that is coming from the PC power supply so it should be fairly consistent.

Eeeh... sounds complicated

Yeah, the darker crate might be the best option for that. A smaller crate on top of the crate will give room for the tabs. We could offer both options, loot and crate.
My chest isn't installed... nor are most of the parts on my game, lol. I was trying to get it put back together this weekend but was focused too much on mods. I'd like to play it again soon

Was just trying to come up with an idea from the movies that is tied to the chest.

Only issue I have with crates and barrels at this point is if you happen to have the dauntless mod the are already plenty of that sort of thing inches from the chest.

I’m still thinking.....

#906 33 days ago

Just curious, does the clear plastic stay on above the coil once the mod is complete?

I was thinking something could be made to replace it with a simple decal image of maybe Davey Jones on it to cover the coil? Or maybe if large enough some of his crew too?

#910 33 days ago
Quoted from gunstarhero:

Yeah, because you don’t want to take a chance a stray Dauntless shot is gonna get itself hung up on that coil.

Maybe instead of plastic crates etc... to spruce it up, some sort of plastic that some nice character decals can go on. Either Davey Himself would look good or some of his crew like the hammerhead guy etc...

Just trying to help come up with a design that brings some of the movie to the chest area rather than more square plastic stuff. Lol

#914 33 days ago

Like a 2d vertical piece of plastic with a decal on it?
I think I'd rather go like the "beach scene" with some treasure and palm trees. Doesn't that jive with the treasure chest?

Bingo, a 2d/3D plastic maybe a horizontal and a vertical depending on how much you trying to cover with any kind of decal that ties the movies in.

I think it could look better than more brown/black plastic.

Just a thought......

#915 33 days ago

Like a 2d vertical piece of plastic with a decal on it?
I think I'd rather go like the "beach scene" with some treasure and palm trees. Doesn't that jive with the treasure chest?

Thing about the chest is that it never was a treasure chest in any of the movies.

Only held Jones’s heart.

#918 32 days ago

Need a little help, got it all installed.

When I power the game on the chest opens and closes as I would want, have good fit and alignment however when I test in game play by hitting the two shots the chest does not open and when a ball is fired into the chest, nothing either.

Any Ideas?

#921 32 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Your switch arm needs to be bent out more. It's not making enough contact with the fork mech rollers to open and close.

I’ll have to take a look at that, had me scratching my head because when I power the game on its friggin perfection, lol

#928 32 days ago

Your switch arm needs to be bent out more. It's not making enough contact with the fork mech rollers to open and close.

Just looked, switch definitely closed when forks up. Anything else it could be? It’s obviously not binding in power up because it looks perfect.

#930 32 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Put the forks up manually so they're out of the way and manually manipulate the switch. Do you hear a "click" when the arm's depressed? If you do, does the chest move?
If you're hearing the clicks and the chest still isn't moving, the switch may be bad or a wire is loose from the switch to the servo.

The forks are operating properly when targets are hit and time to load a ball.

This tells me switch is fine, correct?

#932 32 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Wrong switch. I'm talking about the switch on the assembly you just added. It has nothing to do with the switches that tell the forks to move that are part of the machine already.

Shit...I’ve been f’ing with the wrong switch!

So that lower switch i just added needs better contact with rollers, correct?

Idiot just add beer and I did do that!

#934 32 days ago

Problem found

Looks like half the leaf is out of the switch. Hanging on by a thread.

I can see one of the tabs.

#936 32 days ago

Just put that sob back in

Drum roll please!

#937 32 days ago

No luck

The lower switch doesn’t come anywhere near my rollers.

#939 32 days ago

I have a suspicion and if true I really can’t believe this.

How many rollers are on the right side?

#940 32 days ago

I guess it helps to have a sense of humor with this stuff.

I only had one nylon roller on right side, the top one obviously.

Just cut a nylon stand-off I had from another machine and screwed it in and the chest now works, sort of.

So when games starts chest is open, should be closed until ready to load correct?

#942 32 days ago

Finally got it, the servo powered on position needed adjustment.

#947 32 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

That is correct. It matches the action of the chest on the screen.

The motion of the chest is slightly ahead of the animation on the display correct?

#950 32 days ago

If you have the lighting mod there are settings you can choose for the chest speed. Bottom right button. Not sure how close they match the animation but there are 5 options

Don’t have the lighting mod.

I like the speed that it actuates open slowly and closes slightly faster, just noticed the whole operation appears to be slightly ahead of the video. Not a big deal, just an observation.

1 week later
#995 26 days ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I have installed the mod today, but for some reason the chest does not seem to open or close...
I have followed HarryHoudini's instructions, but still it does not seem to work for me.
I attach some pics - where to start to diagnose, what went wrong?
Also in my installation the bracket touches a bit the clear plastic piece that apparently is there to protect
or to ensure no ball locks would take place. I draw a yellow arrow there. What have you done, have you
removed it altogether?
Thank you for any help![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Just trim the plastic so it doesn’t touch

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, VIC
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider psw757.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside