New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,288 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Jecco74
  • Topic is favorited by 90 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 211 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E126011B-BD4F-4C12-902F-4FF80843C940 (resized).jpeg
762FC743-F788-4846-BA20-02D6650478D6 (resized).jpeg
56F3A09C-5A1D-481F-9FD4-7115C9DE444A (resized).jpeg
03F92215-5BB9-42F9-8ECA-F4BD9246B90D (resized).jpeg
291FCCBE-5C51-4F0F-ACA2-38E81072B7EA (resized).jpeg
EA9E7984-8C8B-4E95-ADEB-DC3312A20DAC (resized).jpeg
20200623_175636 (resized).jpg
20200620_172247 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200511_154933 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200511_153939 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200509_154540 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200509_154404 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200509_154357 (resized).jpg
20200413_150522 (resized).jpg
20200413_145835 (resized).jpg
B092049F-16FA-4E24-A5CF-37048592C7F0 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (1 year ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (1 year ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (1 year ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphypeoples.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#843 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

pinballj created it, we sell the kit: https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

He's asking about the initial removing of the chest lid.
I found it! Not sure why it wasn't part of the other video but here is the specific chest lid removal portion:

Thank God I found this. I'm installing the mod today and could only find it written "remove the lid".... that's it. Yeah...... right! LOL
Thanks for hunting this down and posting it. You should probably add it back to your website instruction area sir. : )

#845 1 year ago

Guys - Can someone help me out here? I have the chest mod installed. Opens and closes nicely, and the lights work - but there is a problem....

Check out the video. When I start a game the servo actuates the chest lid as it "finds home". But once I start a game - the servo no longer moves or opens the chest. If I cut the game off, and back on again - same thing... servo finds home - lid opens - but never raises again. I played a game and locked 3 balls and went into multiball - but the chest never opened once. Very frustrating. Help troubleshooting this would be welcomed. - Murphy

#849 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Check your switch bend. It's probably not bent out quite far enough to detect fork down.
Alternately, if that doesn't work, with power on, raise the playfield, raise the forks and manually activate/deactivate the switch. If nothing happens you have a bad switch or bad wiring to the switch.

PinMonk to the rescue!!! This is exactly what was happening. The Mod switch wasn't fully closing with the forks in the down position. I simply tweaked the switch slightly and violá!
Working during game play now. Simply have to due some fine adjustments to get her to close and open perfectly. : ) - Murphy

#943 1 year ago

I think you've posted this exact reply like 5 or more times now

Worked in my case! : )

#944 1 year ago
Quoted from Psw757:

So when games starts chest is open, should be closed until ready to load correct?

Mine stays closed until it tells me to lock a ball. I'm hoping this is right? Once I lock a ball it closes again.

#954 1 year ago

Gold = treasure/loot, that was one of the ideas.
Row boat would be as big as the chest but only about the top half of the boat.
I don't think an out of proportion beach scene would look out of place, it would be more like forced perspective (think cinderella castle in disneyland).
Working on some options, we'll see what looks good. I'm partial to the loot option but I'll likely print at least the row boat to see what it looks like.
If less is more, a black box would be the ideal one. Hardly visible, no lights really shine on it. I think we'll offer the box as a base and then a topper of your choosing.

All good ideas. I'm in. That area is in dire need of help. : )

1 week later
#1000 1 year ago

Chest mod doesn't open and close with the game but goes through the open/close cycle when you power it on? Likely your switch needs adjusting:

This was exactly my problem last month when I installed mine. Simple fix!
As it's been said before - the game looks "broken" without this additional mod. It's like it's supposed to be there! : )

3 weeks later
#1102 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

All sorted - the little mini usb plug had slipped out of the lower left board that I had to remove to screw in the bracket to the fork mech.
Just another question - the little brass thing that secures the rod to the servo doesn’t rotate very well. It’s really hard to rotate (just the brass bit I’m talking about). I’m assuming this should spin fairly easily?[quoted image]

Yes that needs to rotate nicely with no hang up. Unloosen that back nut a bit. You'll be fine. : )

1 month later
#1141 11 months ago

My chest mod has been working great, and I "think" it still is... but I installed the latest code (yes I'm late to the party) - and noticed something strange lately.
The chest still starts the game closed. Once you are able to "Shoot the chest to lock a ball" it opens. However, it doesn't close after it opens AND the Red Arrow to the chest stay lit! Even though the game KNOWS I've locked a ball, and even says "Ball 1 Locked" and so forth. So I'm thinking my chest is obeying the game code by staying open because the arrow is still lit? Anyone else seeing this? Once the game is over, the chest shuts, and the balls are kicked out. The game is also kicking ball out for multiball. Weird.

1 week later
#1144 10 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah most likely the control arm for the switch on the mod needs to be bent to more reliably engage/disengage with the fork movement.

Okay my friends, I need your input. Something wonky is going on.
1. Chest opens and closes nicely upon power up.
2. Chest opens when "Shoot the chest to lock a ball"
3. But it seems that I only have to shoot ONE "Load Chest" target to be able to lock a ball. (need to confirm this)
4. Chest does NOT close until the 3rd ball is locked. Then it will close. Closes on 3rd ball lock EVERY TIME.
5. Chest closes when 3rd ball is locked, and then releases all 3 for Dead Man's Chest Multiball.
5. During Dead Man's Chest Multiball play, the PF LED's for the chest and Load Chest are NOT lit. Nor is the light strip mod inside the chest lit. Until Multiball is over. Then the lights come back on.

(This last point, might be something I've not noticed before).

I'll make a video to show everyone what I'm talking about. The game plays fine, nothing is interrupted with this issue. I'd just like to fix it.

My theory, since it consistently acts like this, is that the part that lowers onto the chest switch - is not raising back up to release the switch until all 3 balls are locked.
Does that sound legit? Anyone else experienced this? With that said, I'll inspect the operation of that unit - manually activate the opening, check underneath, and report back here.
Murph

#1146 10 months ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Setting difficulty for chest MB too easy? No need to hit targets after first lock?

I don't think so. I have left everything to factory settings pretty much except for the VUK to the BP. Lowered that power a bit.

#1148 10 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Clear the chest and do a manual switch test on the trunk optos by running your finger through the trunk area where the balls go when you're in the switch test screen. Make sure all 3 optos are registering, and in the right order. It seems like maybe only your 3rd opto may be working (i.e. it doesn't know the first two balls get in there).

This theory has loads of promise. We shall see! Great thinking!

#1155 10 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

I'll take a pic of the ones I'm talking about so you can be careful when you do the mod.

Perfect timing. I'll be working on mine Sunday afternoon. : )
I hope mine just can loose from shooting the chest do much. I was REALLY careful when adding the chest mod.

2 weeks later
#1163 10 months ago

Hey, chest mod got nominated for a TWIP award! While it's listed as Pinball Mod Co the credit all goes to pinballj who did all the hard work. I've finally been able to play my game (it's mostly together!) and love watching the chest open and close.

Yep - I voted for it. : )

2 weeks later
#1182 9 months ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks! Nice looking skull man!
The chest works but for some reason it doesn’t open all the way. This is as high as it goes. This is my first crack at it so I’m sure there is some sort of a fix for this....[quoted image]

Did you remember that you have to slightly bend the top of the rod where it touches the chest? Manually manipulate the rod and chest to the open position, and then check the position of the rod where is touches the chest. You want the nut to be flush against the chest while in the open position.

#1184 9 months ago

That's the old rod, with the new flex one you have to trim it if it is too long, which I think might be the case here.

Okay - how can I order this new "flex rod"??? : )

#1194 9 months ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Does the game start with the chest open or closed?

With the power off - the chest is closed. When you cut the power on, you should see the chest open and shut while the game is booting. The chest will only open when you have a chance to lock a ball. Hope this helps!
Murphy

1 month later
#1216 7 months ago

Reading matrixed switches from an external microcontroller is not very easy.
That being said, I'm testing some options for that still.

LOL. You've always got something brewing. : )

4 weeks later
#1239 6 months ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Here are a couple more videos of my partially working chest mod:
Video with rod behind the tab:

Video with rod in front of the tab (I mis-spoke at the end. Clearly the rod is in front of the tab)

I hope this helps me trouble shoot my issue. I can take other photos/videos by request if someone needs to see something specific.
Thanks,
Darin

Take a metal paper clip and make sure your balls aren't magnetized. This is exactly what was happening to me, and it was doing it with less than 50 plays.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
20,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Otsego, MN
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider murphypeoples.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside