(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lhammer610.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#808 4 years ago

I just got the kit and am installing it. The odd thing is that the servo seems to be moving backwards. When I close he switch, the servo moves counterclockwise. If I hook up he rod the way the installation video show, that would open the lid when the fork moves down. Switch opens, and the servo moves clockwise.

I can move the rod 180 degrees on the servo, more to the 3 o’clock position, but that is opposite of what I think the install idea shows.

#810 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Yea, I need to update that video apparently. I was backwards when it was made.

Good to know I am not completely nuts.

If you don’t mind a suggestion, it would be nice to add a bit about removal of the chest top. It is a bit jarring to go from the second to the third / fourth videos.

Also, in order to tighten down the screws to the fork bracket, I ended up temporarily removing the bottom left PCB. Otherwise I just could not get the screwdriver in there.

Your videos are great. Clear to understand and straight to the point.

#812 4 years ago

It looks like I got this mod working. Thanks for the kit.

IMHO, it might be easier if I had two nuts on the rod - to lock the lid in place. One above and one below the tab to the lid. Unfortunately, I did not have a nut small enough to put on the rod. I tried a plastic wire tide and it made setting up for me easier. The complication was that I had to take the arm off the motor to slip the wire in, since the lower nut locked it on the chest. But without that, the chest seemed to hang up on the rod and ride it up. Bending the rod helped there. But the second nut would really lock it in.

The plastic shield covering the solenoid interfered with the tab on the lid attached to the rod. So I used a dremel to grind the corner down (photos attached). Lots of small towels to keep the debris from the playfield.

The movement of the rod also tends to touch the wires to the solenoid in the back of the chest. I don't think that is a wear issue. I moved them out of the way the best I could.

I also found what keeps the rear of the lid from going all the way down - the plastic insert you provided is thicker and that hits the black metal ball guide on the right side. Nothing I could see to fix that. I would not want to have to remove that black ball guide and grind it. And making the insert on the top thinner might make it too weak.

I need to wrap up some wires where I cut the ties, but other than that, it is good to go.

First pic is the plastic cover for the solenoid prior to grinding. Second is after.

Third shows the metal ball guide that I think keeps the top from coming down because it hits the insert in the top.

Cheers!

IMG_5972 (resized).jpgIMG_5972 (resized).jpgIMG_5975 (resized).jpgIMG_5975 (resized).jpgIMG_5974 (resized).jpgIMG_5974 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#870 4 years ago

Like vireland said you could do it without removing, I wasn't able to get my socket in there so I did the coil removal part.
The optos are 3 black tabs starting just in front of that coil (along the back of the actual chest). If they do come out of place you'll know it. The game will continually try to kick out a ball from the chest (because the opto switch isn't closed). You could probably see it dangling there too. Sometimes you can pop it back in to place, they are pressure fit clips. If the clip breaks or it won't stay, a dab of hot glue gives you a pretty good fix. Probably better than the original. Breaking the entire opto would be pretty difficult, I've messed with mine a TON and while I've had tabs break (I had to replace my chest bracket, relocating all 6 optos) gluing them back on was a good fix and they all work fine.

I did not even realize they were there, I think. I did not remove them, nor have any problems with the optos. Perhaps I was just lucky.

1 year later
#1306 3 years ago

Thanks
Here's a video on some common questions and cutting the rod:

I had installed the original lid insert but purchased the most recent mod. I struggled tying to figure out how to install it until I found this video. It is extremely useful.

I think it would be helpful to include this on your installation page, and put it on the 'Key Posts' list. And it took me a while to figure out how to install the clevis. Never having worked with one before, I did not realize I pry it open. My clevis pin did not go through the hole well, so I drilled it out. Works fine.

It looks like the top installs with the LEDs facing up. I assume that is correct. I initially installed with the LEDs down, but then the hinge is in the wrong position.

When I try to change the color, I briefly see other colors, but then it goes back to dark red.

Since the flexible rod is installed on the lid, then the lid is put in position, I cannot figure out how to install the second nut holding the hinge to the chest body. So I currently just have one nut installed.

I don't have a laptop (desktop and tablets) so installing the software update will not be easy. It seems to work fine as is. What does the software update bring us?

Thanks again. Best mod ever.

1st picture shows the inside lid with the LEDs up. That is correct? The chest does not get very bright, even at full brightness.
2nd picture shows the chest open, working properly.
3rd picture shows clevis position with the chest lid closed.
4th picture shows clevis position with the chest lid open.
5th and 6th pictures show LED colors that appear briefly, when selecting change color button. But the color immediately reverts to dark red.
7th shows the missing nut on the chest hinge, that I cannot figure out how to install.

IMG_2486 (resized).jpgIMG_2486 (resized).jpgIMG_2487 (resized).jpgIMG_2487 (resized).jpgIMG_2488 (resized).jpgIMG_2488 (resized).jpgIMG_2489 (resized).jpgIMG_2489 (resized).jpgIMG_2493 (resized).jpgIMG_2493 (resized).jpgIMG_2495 (resized).jpgIMG_2495 (resized).jpgIMG_2497 (resized).jpgIMG_2497 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lhammer610.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close?tu=lhammer610 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.