(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #7 Working prototype video Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #185 Everything needed to make your own chest-opening mod... Posted by pinballj (4 years ago)

Post #615 Code for lighting mod controller Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Post #925 Adjusting switch for mod when chest lid doesn't work Posted by harryhoudini (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

Just for safety.
In case of a short circuit or a defect, I am isolated from the JJP.
A power supply costs no more than 3 adapter plugs.
have enough power supplies from the last project lying around here, which must be installed.

That’s beautiful! How did you do it?

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ha! Even roughing it out, I spent way more time on this than I should have. This is a rough print. If you go to .15 or .10 it can look much better.
Here's the Nano enclosure. There are two channels (left and right) inside the enclosure, under the board to run the wiring down to the end of the box and out so it has a clean look. This just has the two switch leads attached for the picture.
[quoted image]
I have no idea what heat these generate, so I vented the top, just in case.
[quoted image]
Then the Nano enclosure snaps into the modified bigger bracket. Since it takes so long to print a full bracket, I only printed the base of that area to test the fit. It just clips in and out. Pretty nice.
[quoted image]
Here's the top part with cable management for the leads to the switch and the leads coming up from the servo on the side. I'm pretty sure I'll be cutting the connector off the servo and soldering the control line straight to the Nano and the power leads to the 5V adapter.[quoted image]

Harry, any chance you could print Vic’s nano enclosure for those of us with ocd?

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

[quoted image]

I meant the led lightshow on your spare playfields.

2 weeks later
#477 4 years ago

I can’t get a sense of how much difference the led kit makes. Is it interactive?

1 week later
#507 4 years ago

Curious why more isn't being done with the direct connection to the solenoid that raises the forks to shoot into the chest. Seems like the rapid open and close fits the game more, no electronics to deal with, and the solenoids are pretty durable. The chest lid could be cushioned to reduce the impact. Geert showed how to do this earlier:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/2#post-5050354

#509 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're limited on the close of the solenoid by the speed of the servo (which isn't super-fast), so it will never "slam" shut, and basically just closes quickly at full speed. Also, the way the code is now, if you're wanting to beat the "heart" as it's still opening and closing, it needs to be rewritten to use the millisecond timer so it can be more like a state machine rather than single task delay loops that halt the code while one thing is happening then letting it move to the next task.

Ok, so I’m gathering that the main benefits of the current servo design would be less wear and tear on the mechanism raising the forks, and the chest itself, as well as the addition of the beating heart. Makes sense. It just looks so simple to open and close the chest lid through the existing slot that was clearly made for it. Must be a reason they got rid of it. My guess is that parts didn’t hold up.

#511 4 years ago

Sounds good. Scott, do you have some final video of the mech in action with the beating heart?

#520 4 years ago

Scott, is there a way to keep the lid open during multiball while the balls are being unloaded? I assume that would require a delay of some sort. Looks great, good work! I was gonna rig a rod from the fork solenoid but it looks like more wear and tear that way.

#541 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Here is an introduction video to the chest mod pieces and how you'll get the items from us. Some had asked to see what was involved with the install and this gives a short overview of how this gets installed on the game. I didn't show removing the lid, it's a pretty simple procedure and I have a video of that as well which will be combined into an install video. Again, this isn't an install video, which I am making and will be more in depth.
Looks like we have about 45 or so of the mods that will be shipping out this week. They will go in order, obviously, so you'll get a shipping notification if you are in those first 45. I think we'll have another 30 or more going out next week, which should be close to covering all of the orders.

Thanks for all your work on this, Scott.

#567 4 years ago

Maybe but as an old RC plane guy, that’s the proper way to connect a servo. Easy swap but we could do it ourselves as well.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The 4-way vs 2-way arm doesn’t seem to matter; its preferable to attach the servo using the spring clip - just one less part to come loose - but it will work fine either way.

Agree, it doesn’t really matter, works either way.

1 week later
#610 4 years ago

I can read in to that, Scott's really anal.
Yeah, just a few people putting this stuff together in our spare time. Trying to walk the line of not over-promising and under delivering, but I think there's a bit of leeway when it comes to the unknown of a lot of this stuff while we develop it and trying to accomodate the things people ask for, like the lighting mod controls and the speed on the chest. That's why I try to keep the threads updated with progress, although the starmap one did get a bit behind as we focused on this chest one.

I was gonna rig my own primitive version directly from the solenoid but am happy to support your more elegant solution! The extra features are appreciated.

1 week later
#771 4 years ago

I'm curious if you think the servo method is still the best approach. The simplicity of your mod, connecting to the fork solenoid, is appealing. I'm in line for the servo and light mod but just interested in your thoughts.

#775 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

The servo method is the only way to make it permanent.
The original version will surely break the trunk.
Scott make a very good version of the servo version with extras.

That’s great to hear from someone who duplicated the prototype! Thanks for confirming that. And to Scott for spending all this time to make it work for everyone.

#778 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

LOVE this mod! So cool and it's awesome to see one of the original design intentions of the machine back in action. Thank you to everyone who made this possible!!!

When I played the prototype at TPF in 2018, the chest mechanism really popped. I'm excited to get that on the game, and actually improved by Scott. I loved the triple disc as well, but you can't have it all! Great to hear this is most likely to be the best long term fix. JJPOTC, after a couple of hundred plays, is becoming one of my favorite games. It deserves to be in the top 10.

#792 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

The servo method is the only way to make it permanent.
The original version will surely break the trunk.
Scott make a very good version of the servo version with extras.

Well, Agima2000 thinks so, and he did the mechanical version.

#805 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I think it was me attaching it to the forks , and Agima dabbled with his own servo version , and Harry Houdini took it to a production unit from pinballj’ s initial idea. Looks like a winner, more options, more lights
I havent taken it further, still testing it in my personal game and its holding out fine so far. When I hit 250 games I will take it apart and make the dimensions known .
I’m just not prepared to get burned on receiving blame if and when brackets should break.( how many have actually had a bracket break in normal production units) Thats a side of this forum that holds me back.
I’ve yet to experience it. So far so good

Thanks for clarifying, lots of minds and different approaches on this. Your method would certainly produce the satisfying snap open and close I recall from the prototype. We will be interested to hear how it holds up!

1 week later
#822 4 years ago

Installed it, maybe an hour and a half, but I was messing around with getting the back flush by trimming parts of the plastic connector to the chest lid. This is a terrific mod, love it! So great to get back to the original design, with some enhancements.

#863 4 years ago

Ah smart. The loot pile should provide that kind of angle to most of it but will make sure it all sheds away.

I'd be happy with something that fades into the background, like the starfield. Maybe a darker color will do the trick. What's up with the chest lid, it looks broken?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dts.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close?tu=dts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.