(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 27.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Lets just hope we get this mod mass produced and keep the re-run of the game separate as a concept.

The whole re-run concept is really a false narrative based on hope. My sources say this is really highly unlikely.

I agree, let’s get this chest mech mass produced and I’m in on the servo option.

#102 4 years ago

Maybe the issue with the chest wasn't the mech at all.

Maybe it was wear on the chest banging open and shut. I can see the paint wearing off of the prototype pics. Something we can mitigate with cabinet bumpers or something most likely.

Another possible reason for the chest nerf - maybe there was lack of consistency on the lids in terms of alignment with the chest?

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Maybe the issue with the chest wasn't the mech at all.
Maybe it was wear on the chest banging open and shut. I can see the paint wearing off of the prototype pics. Something we can mitigate with cabinet bumpers or something most likely.
Another possible reason for the chest nerf - maybe there was lack of consistency on the lids in terms of alignment with the chest?

A lot of speculation why it was not working. But obviously there was a problem, perhaps with the chest lid or with the forks. As a consequence, I see no logic to rebuild something that was obviously not working reliable.

Instead of this mechanical opening mech, I prefer the "new" electric solution, which seems to lead to less pressure on the chest and the forks.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Instead of this mechanical opening mech, I prefer the "new" electric solution, which seems to lead to less pressure on the chest and the forks.

Yes, you've made that clear.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Yup,

And I the meantime my family and myself are having a great time banging the hell out of that chest to see it pop!

And when something shears or breaks off, dad gets out the tig and off we go again.

I think some take pinball all a little too serious

#106 4 years ago

Could the weight of the lid on the forks have been causing some wear to the slots in PF from binding?

The fork does seem to have some wobble/play to it, just a thought as someone did show some wear to the left slot from rubbing. Maybe JJP was seeing this prematurely?

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Could the weight of the lid on the forks have been causing some wear to the slots in PF from binding?
The fork does seem to have some wobble/play to it, just a thought as someone did show some wear to the left slot from rubbing. Maybe JJP was seeing this prematurely?

I highly doubt the lid caused any delay or extra wear on the fork sliding up. Its a lineair movement, with nylon bushings. You’d be surprised what force a solenoid can produce.

I think the 2 mounting points are the issue. Three or four would be better but its so full this game there’s no extra space. Maybe a beefier chest bracket will work, will see to it if and when something breaks using this set up and add some metal strength

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Sorry, don't want to bother or bore you.

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Sorry, don't want to bother or bore you.

I think its the negative vibe and lack of positive input that triggered the initial response towards yourself

We’re all on the same team trying to get this cool mech revived for all to enjoy and I suspect no more than a handfull have actually dared to pull apart the situation to inspect how things actually work down there , but some who didnt dig deeper seem more informed than those who did.

Doubt this will be a home run for mechanical or electrical option in the first innings . Work in progress!

#110 4 years ago

I'll test the servo version.
But it is also very prototype for me

#111 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I think its the negative vibe and lack of positive input that triggered the initial response towards yourself
We’re all on the same team trying to get this cool mech revived for all to enjoy and I suspect no more than a handfull have actually dared to pull apart the situation to inspect how things actually work down there , but some who didnt dig deeper seem more informed than those who did.
Doubt this will be a home run for mechanical or electrical option in the first innings . Work in progress!

Sorry, it was never meant as negative vibe, so I apologize if that was misunderstood. I am really happy and thankful that you start developing that mode. I only tried to describe my personal opinion. But if your mech works, the better for all of us.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

There are 2 posters that have loudly said “fantastic, your’s is the right solution!” Whilst dismissing the OPs solution who started this thread in the first place.

I guess that’s why a few of us are nervous that the OP will be discouraged and not bother posting the final solution. Some of us would prefer the electronic. Maybe there should be a seperate thread for the mechanical so neither advancement overshadows the other.

Both are great, just be aware that there are 2 solutions and neither camp of followers should be discounting the other.

steigerpijp amazed at your creations, your gun plunger is awesome!!!

#113 4 years ago

I’m so excited to see this come to fruition that I’ll likely buy both just because I like to have options!!

Ya’ll are doing great work, thank you!!

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

There are 2 posters that have loudly said “fantastic, your’s is the right solution!” Whilst dismissing the OPs solution who started this thread in the first place.
I guess that’s why a few of us are nervous that the OP will be discouraged and not bother posting the final solution. Some of us would prefer the electronic. Maybe there should be a seperate thread for the mechanical so neither advancement overshadows the other.
Both are great, just be aware that there are 2 solutions and neither camp of followers should be discounting the other.
steigerpijp amazed at your creations, your gun plunger is awesome!!!

More solutions to choose from, the better. I think the electronic will be best long-term, but my mind's open.

#115 4 years ago

All of the work in this thread is great!

I would love is Hogbog would get permission to comment and help us make this for the masses. LTG got any back channels? *grin*

#116 4 years ago

next test step

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

next test step

Awesome!

I am not mod crazy by any means, but if this can be produced by anybody, it will sell. Seems like a no brainer add, assuming reliability works out!

#118 4 years ago

This will go down as one of the best mods ever bc it truly was intended by the designer.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

This will go down as I've of the best mods ever bc it truly was intended by the designer.

I agree 100%, when they got rid of it I was like, eh..no big deal.

BUT

After seeing these close up videos of it in action, it’s a game changer! The interactive chest adds quite a bit. Really makes you wonder why they gave up on it.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

After seeing these close up videos of it in action, it’s a game changer! The interactive chest adds quite a bit. Really makes you wonder why they gave up on it.

Once this is out there, nobody is going to want to have a static opened chest . This is truly must have.

#121 4 years ago

When you release the red marked screw, you can turn the chest and get on the screw well.
IMG_8176 (resized).jpgIMG_8176 (resized).jpgIMG_8177 (resized).jpgIMG_8177 (resized).jpgIMG_8178 (resized).jpgIMG_8178 (resized).jpgIMG_8179 (resized).jpgIMG_8179 (resized).jpg

IMG_8180 (resized).jpgIMG_8180 (resized).jpgIMG_8183 (resized).jpgIMG_8183 (resized).jpgIMG_8181 (resized).jpgIMG_8181 (resized).jpg
#122 4 years ago

I like the black hinge, it works better.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I like the black hinge, it works better.

Me too, I think they all start of life as metallic silver .. time to spray

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

THAT IS SO TRICK!

I am finished now, and very satisfied with my performance.
My servo and switch holder is on thingiverse.
I think there will soon be professional complete kits from others.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3393818

#126 4 years ago

I like it ... following and looking for someone to sell it as a mod kit.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from KingBW:

I like it ... following and looking for someone to sell it as a mod kit.

Similar here; I don't mind a DIY solution, but a reasonably costed kit would be nice as well!

Honestly this is like Christmas in June. Really surprising how quickly this moved from a "is this even possible?" to "hopefully this can be shipped soon"

#128 4 years ago

I also like the servo idea. Hopefully kits are available soon!

#129 4 years ago

Servo all the way. Count me in!

#130 4 years ago

Put me down for a kit!

#131 4 years ago

I'm still in for team Linkage, so the folks pursuing that route please don't stop.

#132 4 years ago

I'm hoping for servo up and linkage down But either way - count me in for kit!

#133 4 years ago

I'm just hoping for anything that works!

#134 4 years ago

Servo for me please!

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I'm just hoping for anything that works!

True.

If and when someone can sell this as a kit that's reliable and easy to install, I feel like it would be the must-have mod for this pin.

#136 4 years ago

definitely Interested And patiently waiting. Great work to all.

#137 4 years ago

FYI, I'm going to try and work with pinballjj to make kits commercially available.

#138 4 years ago

FYI, I'm going to try and work with pinballjj to make kits commercially available.

You rock Harry!

#139 4 years ago

Awesome. Thanks Harry

#140 4 years ago

Yes, Harry totally rocks for doing this! I will be posting a new video and a link to the materials etc. later!

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Yes, Harry totally rocks for doing this! I will be posting a new video and a link to the materials etc. later!

Big thanks for allowing us that want to to do it ourselves. No offence Harry. I gotta keep costs down some how!!!

#142 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Big thanks for allowing us that want to to do it ourselves. No offence Harry. I gotta keep costs down some how!!!

I have no idea what is going to be required, but hopefully with scale and bulk it shouldn't be more or much more than doing it yourself. Unless you're going to do the 3D printing yourself and the bracket creation, then probably cheaper. But yeah, for people who want a simple install kit, then we should be able to produce this.

#143 4 years ago

I have no idea what is going to be required, but hopefully with scale and bulk it shouldn't be more or much more than doing it yourself. Unless you're going to do the 3D printing yourself and the bracket creation, then probably cheaper. But yeah, for people who want a simple install kit, then we should be able to produce this.

It’s great your doing it Harry. Not saying you would make millions out of it! It’s the international postage that can get me. If I need to get stuff from Marco anyway, you might end up posting cheaper. Plus I get to come back to you for warranty issues!! Hmmmmm.

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

It’s great your doing it Harry. Not saying you would make millions out of it! It’s the international postage that can get me. If I need to get stuff from Marco anyway, you might end up posting cheaper. Plus I get to come back to you for warranty issues!! Hmmmmm.

HAH. Read my warranty policy oh... I don't have one. Crap.

I could maybe help you out with Marco too, I always am ordering stuff from them. Maybe I can combine your stuff.

#145 4 years ago

Yup, this is awesome! Will keep an eye out for the kit, very interested.

#146 4 years ago

I still need to do the final writeup, but here is a video of the final testing of the servo actuated open/close:

I apologize for the bad audio/video, but I couldn't find my USB audio in adapter. I had an ok game considering there was a mic stand with a phone in front of my face lol.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

I still need to do the final writeup, but here is a video of the final testing of the servo actuated open/close:

I apologize for the bad audio/video, but I couldn't find my USB audio in adapter. I had an ok game considering there was a mic stand with a phone in front of my face lol.

I started the video to watch the chest action - which is great, well done!! - but then got interested in your score! Pretty good game there.

#148 4 years ago

Following

#149 4 years ago

What I love most is how much more clear it makes when to shoot the chest... that’s one thing I still get thrown off on as you have to rely on inserts. Not only is is visually and mechanically awesome, it’s actually a gameplay improvement.

#150 4 years ago

My multiballs drain way faster than that. Nice play. I think the chest works awesome. It is a fantastic visual queue on whether the ball lock is ready. I guess that’s why they never needed a ball lock insert (I know there are the rgbs but you know what I mean). Also good to see the balls pop out the other end no problem with the chest closed. Lastly like how the chest closes on ball drain and reopens on next ball. I know it all just follows the forks, but it looks cool. Really like how the chest opens and closes slowly. Spooky.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Wanted
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/3?hl=celofane and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.