(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 27.
#1051 4 years ago

I have some of the DC boosters made up. This will just snap inline with the power plug and give you 5.5v to the device, up from the 4.7v or so.

PM me if you need one.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1052 4 years ago

I rechecked the rod and you were right, it was binding up. I bent it all back straight and started over, and now it seems fine. One clue that it was binding: the close operation was “choppy” previously and is now completely smooth.

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I rechecked the rod and you were right, it was binding up. I bent it all back straight and started over, and now it seems fine. One clue that it was binding: the close operation was “choppy” previously and is now completely smooth.

Nice!

#1054 4 years ago

Thanks for this mod, it seems to be completely reliable now and it really does add to the gameplay!

#1055 4 years ago

Awesome, glad it's working. Thanks! It's mostly due to @pinballj, we just packaged up his idea. He made the impossible, possible for $130 or whatever it is. Less cost if you have way too much time on your hands and an ability to do too many things way too well.

#1056 4 years ago

Rblockquote cite="#5240821">Awesome, glad it's working. Thanks! It's mostly due to pinballj, we just packaged up his idea. He made the impossible, possible for $130 or whatever it is. Less cost if you have way too much time on your hands and an ability to do too many things way too well.

You’re selling short the work you’ve put into packaging this thing up so well! I think I said it before, but $130 is a great price considering the BOM and the time involved.

I did mine DIY, and it works great - but add together buying everything, sorting out how to connect the wires, soldering, 3D printing... this package is priced awesome, and from what I’ve seen it is a very high quality product. AND this is a must-have mod, there is no question.

#1057 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Well, I spoke too soon about it working itself out. I am getting regular failures now. Frequent but not 100%.
The symptoms:
- Chest opens only a sliver of what it should.
- When the chest closes, it rises to its full height, then closes.
- Sometimes on boot when it does the open-close thing, it doesn’t open all the way there either, making a whirring noise when it stalls.
I don’t think the linkage is binding, but I’ll check it again.
I’m assuming the bootup sequence doesn’t care about the state of the microswitch, so the control arm for that is unlikely to be the culprit. I am guessing this is a power issue and it doesn’t have enough power to pull it down.
Any suggestions?

Try with string

#1058 4 years ago

Installed a skull at the end of the clear plastic with the hole for the rod in order to cover the plastic look a bit. The skull bubbles a bit when the lid opens, was not planned but looks nice. Provides some counterweight as well for the lid and makes the opening a bit easier for the servo.

1FE2A9BF-5D88-4ECD-AD42-87C4602EC681 (resized).jpeg1FE2A9BF-5D88-4ECD-AD42-87C4602EC681 (resized).jpeg
#1059 4 years ago

FYI, I think we have about 3-4 lid assemblies left and after that if anyone wants a mod we'll move to a printed lid since sales seem to be mostly done. So if you are waiting and wanted a clear lexan lid, order up. Otherwise we'll print clear PETG lids that should preform fine for this function, just won't be perfectly clear lexan.

#1060 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Installed a skull at the end of the clear plastic with the hole for the rod in order to cover the plastic look a bit. The skull bubbles a bit when the lid opens, was not planned but looks nice. Provides some counterweight as well for the lid and makes the opening a bit easier for the servo.[quoted image]

sorry but not feeling it at all. but it's your game, do whatever you like!!

#1061 4 years ago

We have an almost done version of the rear cover, btw. We are finishing a detailed, extensive WOZ mod that will be posted shortly and then back to that cover and some other POTC things.

#1062 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

We have an almost done version of the rear cover, btw. We are finishing a detailed, extensive WOZ mod that will be posted shortly and then back to that cover and some other POTC things.

What's the gameplan for the rear cover?

#1063 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What's the gameplan for the rear cover?

To start just a black "cover" that hides everything. Replaces the clear plastic that is there, cutout for the lid if you have the mod. Then we are working on treasure to cover it or maybe a rowboat, as optional toppers.

#1064 4 years ago

To start just a black "cover" that hides everything. Replaces the clear plastic that is there, cutout for the lid if you have the mod. Then we are working on treasure to cover it or maybe a rowboat, as optional toppers.

sounds very cool!

#1065 4 years ago

Installed the mod with light today. Works perfect. Great addition to a already great game. Thanks for making this possible.

#1066 4 years ago

Just finished installing the mod. Everything went smooth except like several others the chest was working in the opposite direction. Switching the arm from 6 to 12 o'clock solved the problem. Harry - suggest adding the video that you did explaining this problem to the instructions:

I spent a lot to time watching videos and reviewing the thread before installing but missed this one until after spending a couple hours figuring it out. Thanks to McSirTuna and the others for explaining how to correct the issue - and to mslow for sharing his flexible rod method! The mod if fantastic! The talent, creativity and commitment to the hobby to design and make this stuff is very impressive. Next up is installing the Star Map Plastic mod.

#1067 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Just finished installing the mod. Everything went smooth except like several others the chest was working in the opposite direction. Switching the arm from 6 to 12 o'clock solved the problem. Harry - suggest adding the video that you did explaining this problem to the instructions: I spent a lot to time watching videos and reviewing the thread before installing but missed this one until after spending a couple hours figuring it out. Thanks to McSirTuna and the others for explaining how to correct the issue - and to mslow for sharing his flexible rod method! The mod if fantastic! The talent, creativity and commitment to the hobby to design and make this stuff is very impressive. Next up is installing the Star Map Plastic mod.

Large note added in front of video. I keep meaning to remake that one but get distracted, sorry.

#1068 4 years ago

How much is this mod? I’m sure it in here somewhere but I’m an idiot. My LE will be here in about 2 weeks. Sounds like this might be worth blowing some cash on.

#1069 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

How much is this mod? I’m sure it in here somewhere but I’m an idiot. My LE will be here in about 2 weeks. Sounds like this might be worth blowing some cash on.

this is the best and the first mod anyone should get if they buy a jjp potc. I'm pretty sure everyone will agree

#1070 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

It's extremely reasonable given the amount of effort to design and make: $180 w. lighting and $125 without. Here's the website: https://pinballmods.co/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

#1071 4 years ago

FYI, I believe all the clear lexan lids are gone. I'll print in transparent PETG. The only real visual difference is this is not a clear, solid piece of plastic but will work just as well.

#1072 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

It's extremely reasonable given the amount of effort to design and make: $180 w. lighting and $125 without. Here's the website: https://pinballmods.co/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

1000% agree

#1073 4 years ago

FYI, I believe all the clear lexan lids are gone. I'll print in transparent PETG. The only real visual difference is this is not a clear, solid piece of plastic but will work just as well.

IMO this is better - if you can print in black you never see it. Not sure about the clear lid but lighter colors (I printed mine in grey at first) are too noticeable. I'm thinking of working on a shroud for the fork that will cover that right-hand corner of the trunk. That bugs me every time it opens.

#1074 4 years ago

The mod looks great, but I am not experienced at modding my games. My question to those who have done this is how hard is this and how long did it take you. I’m seriously considering as it looks awesome, but I feel intimidated by the installation process. Any guidance and insight much appreciated.

#1075 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

IMO this is better - if you can print in black you never see it. Not sure about the clear lid but lighter colors (I printed mine in grey at first) are too noticeable. I'm thinking of working on a shroud for the fork that will cover that right-hand corner of the trunk. That bugs me every time it opens.

The problem is the lighting needs to shine through. Maybe I'll make cutouts for the LEDs. I'll test it out with dark brown filament to match the lid maybe. Good note.

Quoted from pinballmlb:

The mod looks great, but I am not experienced at modding my games. My question to those who have done this is how hard is this and how long did it take you. I’m seriously considering as it looks awesome, but I feel intimidated by the installation process. Any guidance and insight much appreciated.

Anyone not experienced with modding should be able to do this in a few hours. Technically it's not that hard of an install, there are videos that go over each step of the install. The hardest part of the process is adjusting the rod and it's only hard because it's time consuming. You can post here or email me for help. I've made custom videos to help out individuals who had specific issues or questions. I'm sure others will chime in but if you are capable with tools (like you have a socket set) then you should be able to do this without much hassle.

Watch the videos, if you haven't.

https://pinballmods.co/chest-mod-installation

#1076 4 years ago

The problem is the lighting needs to shine through. Maybe I'll make cutouts for the LEDs. I'll test it out with dark brown filament to match the lid maybe. Good note.

Yeah, I just cut holes out for the LEDs on the one I did, but eventually I'll go back and try no holes and just diffuse the red light off the front inside lip of the chest. The holes work, but you can see pinpoint reflections of the two light sources in the locked balls. The perfectionist in me does not like that.
Lid-Bracket (resized).jpgLid-Bracket (resized).jpg

Even with one ball, you can see the reflection of one of the LEDs the way I did it, so I don't recommend it...
Cheat Heartbeat-min.gifCheat Heartbeat-min.gif

#1077 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I just cut holes out for the LEDs on the one I did, but eventually I'll go back and try no holes and just diffuse the red light off the front inside lip of the chest. The holes work, but you can see pinpoint reflections of the two light sources in the locked balls. The perfectionist in me does not like that.
[quoted image]
Even with one ball, you can see the reflection of one of the LEDs the way I did it, so I don't recommend it...
[quoted image]

I think we have 4 LEDs with the 5050 lights we used (I tried to put in 5 but it was just a bit too long). Then I just got in the 300 light strings which has them spaced like mm apart so I could probably put in like 8, lol. I think the lexan, as clear as it is, diffuses it just a little bit. I think more LEDs and dimmer would probably be better?

How about diffusing the light with a thin bit of plastic? I have the plastic we use for "window glass" which I frost with some spray, I think I'll try that as a diffuser.

#1078 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballmlb:

If you’re mechanically inclined and reasonably handy with tools then it shouldn’t be a problem. Having the right ratchet or wrench for the lid bolts, and an extended bit for the self tapping screws will make a big difference. Trying to install the self tapping screws by hand would be a royal PITA. Getting the right bend in the portion of the rod that goes through the lid is also key.

#1079 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

If you’re mechanically inclined and reasonably handy with tools then it shouldn’t be a problem. Having the right ratchet or wrench for the lid bolts, and an extended bit for the self tapping screws will make a big difference. Trying to install the self tapping screws by hand would be a royal PITA. Getting the right bend in the portion of the rod that goes through the lid is also key.

I did the first two, when I tested them, by hand. I scraped my knuckle pretty good on the fork bracket. But I also tried the bolt/nut method and thought 4 screws should be doable, heh.

Still waiting on that flexible rod, but sounds like it will make it a lot easier.

#1080 4 years ago

I think we have 4 LEDs with the 5050 lights we used (I tried to put in 5 but it was just a bit too long). Then I just got in the 300 light strings which has them spaced like mm apart so I could probably put in like 8, lol. I think the lexan, as clear as it is, diffuses it just a little bit. I think more LEDs and dimmer would probably be better?
How about diffusing the light with a thin bit of plastic? I have the plastic we use for "window glass" which I frost with some spray, I think I'll try that as a diffuser.

Very interesting ideas! I like the concept of diffusing the light with that spray. That’s a great idea

#1081 4 years ago

I have the flexible rods if anyone wants one setup ready to install or add on to a yet to purchase kit. I have to figure out the cost but something like $12, I think. Can get multiple rods from one package but not enough connectors. PM me if you want until I get it added to the site.

#1082 4 years ago

In my kit with light i had to longer the light cable was very too short (10" too short) :/ not a problem for me but for some non equiped customers its anoying

#1083 4 years ago

Here's the updated lid bracket. Added the slot for the LEDs and some angled supports so they will direct the light even further back towards the chest. Depending on how that looks I can toss in a piece of semi-opaque tinted plastic to diffuse the light more. Enlarged some holes that I manually had to modify on the lexan ones, thinned it just a bit to help with clearance issues. Going to print tomorrow probably, got a gang of stuff lined up. I'll print it in a dark brown, maybe that matches well enough, if not I can paint and clear it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1084 4 years ago

I have the flexible rods if anyone wants one setup ready to install or add on to a yet to purchase kit. I have to figure out the cost but something like $12, I think. Can get multiple rods from one package but not enough connectors. PM me if you want until I get it added to the site.

Are these necessary? I've yet to install the mod so I don't know if I need this?

#1085 4 years ago

I haven't done enough testing, anyone else?

If anything they seem to just make it easier to get it installed and working with less adjustment time spent. If you're concerned about that at all then maybe you'll want this.

#1086 4 years ago

I think that's not too much

3121975F-7923-4EE1-9684-2979549F239B (resized).jpeg3121975F-7923-4EE1-9684-2979549F239B (resized).jpegAB9689CC-3E86-4BB8-B6E2-5DBF56051599 (resized).jpegAB9689CC-3E86-4BB8-B6E2-5DBF56051599 (resized).jpegD53B4D19-804C-4B88-9B81-113673AD8017 (resized).jpegD53B4D19-804C-4B88-9B81-113673AD8017 (resized).jpegE04A8370-E614-4E7F-8B6D-9403DC65F1FD (resized).jpegE04A8370-E614-4E7F-8B6D-9403DC65F1FD (resized).jpeg
#1087 4 years ago

Nice! Is that the piece left over from Davy necca character?

#1088 4 years ago

Nice! Is that the piece left over from Davy necca character?

Sorry no idea, a friend give me a box full of Potc Toys.

#1089 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

Sorry no idea, a friend give me a box full of Potc Toys.

Cool. It sort of looks like it, I don't remember if I kept them lol.

#1090 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Are these necessary? I've yet to install the mod so I don't know if I need this?

They are not absolutely necessary. Mine has a straight rod and it is totally fine. I was super careful about where I threaded it and have tied back some of the wires, so you can get away with it. I think the flexible rod may give you some more slack if it is not installed perfectly to the millimeter. I am a tiny bit concerned over time the rod may stretch or lose
Some elasticity, but I have no proof of this actually occurring .

#1091 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I did both. The rod was much easier to install. But both got to the same end result eventually.

#1092 4 years ago

Can I just say that I bought both the chest mod and the lighting for the chest lid. Spent about an hour yesterday fitting this, following the videos posted. This is without doubt the best mod I have ever spent money on. It makes me grin from ear to ear every time I see it in action. Just brilliant. If you have this game and don't own this mod. .shame on you!!!

#1093 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Can I just say that I bought both the chest mod and the lighting for the chest lid. Spent about an hour yesterday fitting this, following the videos posted. This is without doubt the best mod I have ever spent money on. It makes me grin from ear to ear every time I see it in action. Just brilliant. If you have this game and don't own this mod. .shame on you!!!

pinballj

#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

I did both. The rod was much easier to install. But both got to the same end result eventually.

Thanks everyone for the feedback on this. For now I'll stick with the metal rod and see how it goes.

#1095 4 years ago

I am trying to get the install video done. I gotta clean up the "mod room" for daughter's 16th bday party so been trying to fit that in. I am hoping to do it tonight. There really isn't that much to it. I will send out the pre-cut pieces, which may need to be trimmed for your specific setup. One end has the clevis which will attach to the servo. The other end has a screw which will go through the chest lid in to the rod. Between the screw and the clevis you'll have maybe 1/2" or more of adjustment. If it's too long for adjusting you just cut the tubes with a knife. I was trying to figure out if the rod needed to be secured anywhere to not flop around, that might be the only question.

#1096 4 years ago

Ok, here’s a good one....installed mod, connected correctly. Turn game on, and no lights working. Any ideas? Disconnect mod completely and still no lights.

#1097 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Ok, here’s a good one....installed mod, connected correctly. Turn game on, and no lights working. Any ideas? Disconnect mod completely and still no lights.

Which lights? Chest mod lights? Or entire game no lights?

#1098 4 years ago

Which lights? Chest mod lights? Or entire game no lights?

Sorry, entire game.

#1099 4 years ago

Check fuses in back box is probably a good idea. Screen powers on?

#1100 4 years ago

Check fuses in back box is probably a good idea. Screen powers on?

Yeh, everything works fine - can still play a game. Just no lights.

I’ll check the fuse and see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/22 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.