(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 27.
#751 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

I was able to get mine completely closed in front. No idea what the back looks like. Definitely took a lot of tweaking but no need for cutting.

Can you send me an image? Thanks!

#752 4 years ago

Just rewatched harry's excellent video. He states it sticks up on right hand side. So will leave it as is!

Thanks!

#753 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Can you send me an image? Thanks!

Just took a look...back is definitely not pretty and lifted up. Here are some pics.

8F4B5DAB-F9E5-40A9-B5C3-CBA38559EAC0 (resized).jpeg8F4B5DAB-F9E5-40A9-B5C3-CBA38559EAC0 (resized).jpeg6CB21427-A522-450C-A3FB-6EAE49632E69 (resized).jpeg6CB21427-A522-450C-A3FB-6EAE49632E69 (resized).jpeg
#754 4 years ago

Just took a look...back is definitely not pretty and lifted up. Here are some pics.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thanks for showing me your chest!!

#755 4 years ago
Quoted from McSirTuna:

adamross 3-4 hours is possible. But if I had to do it again and didn't run into the issues I did, then I could certainly see it taking much less ~1 hour. I personally move slow / methodical when I'm installing mods. Sometimes you may drop screws and that can easily burn an extra 20 minutes finding them. Things happen anytime you dig into a machine. But as previously stated, I don't regret it a bit. It's a really great modification that is worth the time it takes to install. Scott's instructions are VERY good and make it easy to follow along.
The install rod should be included.

I watched the first two hours solid, and always find it's like a walkthrough I do myself while you do it, same as the Pearl removal. It's definitely helpful!

Only thing I was irked by was that one guy cheering constantly and cutting into the audio, and video a bit until you moved it.

Thanks again for the stream, and keep em' going!

#756 4 years ago

I must have gotten lucky because my whole process was one hour. I too had to cut a little shrink wrap away to expose the controller board receptacle. My lid is not perfectly aligned either. Frankly, my top and bottom weren’t really made to the same dimensions anyway. So regardless of position, mine wouldn’t fit like the pic someone posted a few posts ago.

#757 4 years ago

Mine isn’t opening. Rod goes up not down. Downloaded latest code. Can’t understand what I’ve done wrong.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#758 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Mine isn’t opening. Rod goes up not down. Downloaded latest code. Can’t understand what I’ve done wrong.[quoted image]

Put it on the other side of the star connector on the servo. You'll get opposite action.

#759 4 years ago

Ok. Watched sir tunas excellent video where he had the same problem. Last time I follow instructions!!

Working now. One last thing. The chest open up higher when opening and the settles to a half height. Same when it closes, it opens up full height then closes. Anyone else have this? Supposedly on 1.1.

Thanks vireland!

#760 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Ok. Watched sir tunas excellent video where he had the same problem. Last time I follow instructions!!
Working now. One last thing. The chest open up higher when opening and the settles to a half height. Same when it closes, it opens up full height then closes. Anyone else have this? Supposedly on 1.1.
Thanks vireland!

Has to do with what arm you have it on. You still have it on a "wrong" arm. Having four to choose from (instead of the 2-way one) makes this error easy to make.

#761 4 years ago

Ok. Understand going past the 6 o’clock mark. It’s hard when you have conflicting videos. 3 o’clock. 9 o’clock. Playfield raised or lowered. Now I know what’s happening, I can figure it out. Thanks again!

#762 4 years ago

Nope. Thought I was stupid. Only sometimes. Checked servo arm as chest was actuated. Goes from 3 o’clock to 5:30 back to 4:30. So not wrong arm. Servo is moving to a set position then travelling back.

Is anyone else experiencing this with v1.1?

#763 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Nope. Thought I was stupid. Only sometimes. Checked servo arm as chest was actuated. Goes from 3 o’clock to 5:30 back to 4:30. So not wrong arm. Servo is moving to a set position then travelling back.

Have not heard that one yet. Sorry!

#764 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Maybe a bad servo? Does it do this backtracking with no rod attached?

#765 4 years ago

Wow, this thread is moving fast.

I'll add some of these notes to the install page, but several are already there FYI: https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuating-chest-mod-installation-for-jjp-potc

Definitely my fault for the confusion on where the arm should be located. I must have had an earlier install of the code when I did my video or maybe I used pinballj's code and mine is different. Not sure exactly what happened but thanks for everyone who noted and has posted.

Here is a video on two questions easily answered that way, installing the lighting switch and how to remove the controller to send it back to be programmed, if you want us to update the code:

Also, here is a video on the arm adjustment and replacement with the two versus the four:

For the one or two who had missing parts or whatever we already spoke and your parts are on the way!

Added over 4 years ago:

I'll add some of these notes to the install page, but several are already there FYI: https://pinballmods.co/actuated-chest-mod-installation-for-jjp-potc

Definitely my fault for the confusion on where the arm should be located. I must have had an earlier install of the code when I did my video or maybe I used pinballj's code and mine is different. Not sure exactly what happened but thanks for everyone who noted and has posted.

Here is a video on two questions easily answered that way, installing the lighting switch and how to remove the controller to send it back to be programmed, if you want us to update the code:

Also, here is a video on the arm adjustment and replacement with the two versus the four:

For the one or two who had missing parts or whatever we already spoke and your parts are on the way!

#766 4 years ago

Just took a look...back is definitely not pretty and lifted up. Here are some pics.[quoted image][quoted image]

This is due to the way the hinge is fastened.
I have rebuilt the original sheet metal, so the trunk is closed behind.

IMG_8514 (resized).jpgIMG_8514 (resized).jpg
#767 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Reason: depends on where your hinge is placed. If the servo keeps pulling and the hinge won’t travel any further than the servo backs off. So I added a bit of slack to the closed position i.e. the rod sticks up a little above the chest lid plate. Then when the servo tries to close it does not pull past the stop point. Problem solved.

The lighting mod is awesome. Love the red heartbeat. And I opted for a faster open and close.

Excellent mod Harry. Family loves it!! Adds so much to the game.

Overall not that difficult a mod to install. I was just fussy about the lid and had this one problem with the backtracking of the servo.

#768 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

This is due to the way the hinge is fastened.
I have rebuilt the original sheet metal, so the trunk is closed behind.[quoted image]

Can you give more detail and/or pics of what you did?

#770 4 years ago

I remember seeing a pict of the control pad and what the buttons do but for the life of me I can find it again.

#771 4 years ago

I'm curious if you think the servo method is still the best approach. The simplicity of your mod, connecting to the fork solenoid, is appealing. I'm in line for the servo and light mod but just interested in your thoughts.

#772 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I remember seeing a pict of the control pad and what the buttons do but for the life of me I can find it again.

Just added it to the instructions page. The bracket should have a label on it, but I wasn't sure how well those would stick.

Lighting_Control_ai___369___CMYK_GPU_Preview_ (resized).jpgLighting_Control_ai___369___CMYK_GPU_Preview_ (resized).jpg
#773 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I'm curious if you think the servo method is still the best approach. The simplicity of your mod, connecting to the fork solenoid, is appealing. I'm in line for the servo and light mod but just interested in your thoughts.

The servo method is the only way to make it permanent.
The original version will surely break the trunk.

Scott make a very good version of the servo version with extras.

#774 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'll add some of these notes to the install page, but several are already there FYI: https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuating-chest-mod-installation-for-jjp-potc

We can send it back to you to be programmed? Thank you, I’ll need to do that.

#775 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

That’s great to hear from someone who duplicated the prototype! Thanks for confirming that. And to Scott for spending all this time to make it work for everyone.

#776 4 years ago
Quoted from JoinTheCirqus:

We can send it back to you to be programmed? Thank you, I’ll need to do that.

For sure, I'll send you a PM. Anyone else can just PM me.

#777 4 years ago

Finally got my mod install finished yesterday. My original package had a defective part which slowed the install down. Scott was super nice and promptly sent me a replacement part which did the trick.

I originally started my install before the instructional videos were up, so I made some mistakes along the way (like not paying attention to the optos behind the trunk). I had put everything back together before I realized I popped one of those optos off and had to take everything apart again to put it back in place. Watching the videos and reading here ultimately helped. I ended up with the gear/rod in the 12pm position.

I probably spent 3 hours due to some of my issues, but I think if you watch the instructional videos and have been following this thread it should take much less time....like maybe an hour.

LOVE this mod! So cool and it's awesome to see one of the original design intentions of the machine back in action. Thank you to everyone who made this possible!!!

#778 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

LOVE this mod! So cool and it's awesome to see one of the original design intentions of the machine back in action. Thank you to everyone who made this possible!!!

When I played the prototype at TPF in 2018, the chest mechanism really popped. I'm excited to get that on the game, and actually improved by Scott. I loved the triple disc as well, but you can't have it all! Great to hear this is most likely to be the best long term fix. JJPOTC, after a couple of hundred plays, is becoming one of my favorite games. It deserves to be in the top 10.

#779 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

When I played the prototype at TPF in 2018, the chest mechanism really popped. I'm excited to get that on the game, and actually improved by Scott. I loved the triple disc as well, but you can't have it all! Great to hear this is most likely to be the best long term fix. JJPOTC, after a couple of hundred plays, is becoming one of my favorite games. It deserves to be in the top 10.

Triple disc mod is bring produced now.

#780 4 years ago

Triple disc mod is bring produced now.

Or you can make play more challenging by just make a mod where the disc is removed altogether. Larger maelstrom perhaps? clunk.

#781 4 years ago

Installed and working! Here's some video: https://twitter.com/buffalopinball/status/1165806054627794944?s=21

Note that I had to install it at the 12 o'clock position for it to work correctly. I tried both the 1.0 and 1.1 code on the mod and the rotation direction was the same on both code revisions.

Took me a couple hours (not working super quickly) but everything was pretty straightforward thanks to the install vids. I wouldn't say it's a difficult mod, it just takes time. And the results are worth it, IMO.

#782 4 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Installed and working! Here's some video: https://twitter.com/buffalopinball/status/1165806054627794944?s=21
Note that I had to install it at the 12 o'clock position for it to work correctly. I tried both the 1.0 and 1.1 code on the mod and the rotation direction was the same on both code revisions.
Took me a couple hours (not working super quickly) but everything was pretty straightforward thanks to the install vids. I wouldn't say it's a difficult mod, it just takes time. And the results are worth it, IMO.

That is much smoother than mine. I have little micro steps in my movement. Will have to take a look and see what is rubbing on mine. Thanks for the video!

#783 4 years ago

Side note: anyone making a mod to cover the coil behind the treasure chest now that we can see it?

#784 4 years ago

That is much smoother than mine. I have little micro steps in my movement. Will have to take a look and see what is rubbing on mine. Thanks for the video!

If you have the light mod the bottom right button sets the speeds. There are 5 speeds, with #1 being the basic open/close. I messed around with some others but not sure how great they are, but the options are there. If you don't have that, then yeah, look for binding of anything. Especially the rod where it goes through the lid, it needs a little bend to move smoothly.

Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Side note: anyone making a mod to cover the coil behind the treasure chest now that we can see it?

Nice job on the install! In fact yes... a crate. I have a prototype here but have a few changes to it. I'll post pics soon.

#785 4 years ago

If you have the light mod the bottom right button sets the speeds. There are 5 speeds, with #1 being the basic open/close. I messed around with some others but not sure how great they are, but the options are there. If you don't have that, then yeah, look for binding of anything. Especially the rod where it goes through the lid, it needs a little bend to move smoothly.

Nice job on the install! In fact yes... a crate. I have a prototype here but have a few changes to it. I'll post pics soon.

Yep I chose fairly quick speed and it opens and closes great! Slower speed introduces jerky movements. Red colour with heartbeat is the bomb!

#786 4 years ago

I can try and work on the speeds a bit and send another update if people want it.

On another note, we're working on batch 3. We needed a few more parts which are on order, hopefully to arrive this week for shipping. Ran out of the rods with the latest set of orders. If you ordered within the last few weeks then you're in the 3rd batch. I think with that we will be caught up. Many people should have received tracking numbers in the last several days, if you are an earlier order and didn't get a number PM me and I'll check your order.

#787 4 years ago

So all dev work on a passive version that uses the fork has stopped?

#788 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

After getting the mechanical version fully working, the concensus seemed to be that the action was too violent and is probably the reason trunk lids were breaking during test and the feature was pulled.

#789 4 years ago

I can try and work on the speeds a bit and send another update if people want it.

The servo motion at 5v is pretty slow, so full speed servo with one command to go to the open/close position is a really nice speed with no hassle and less wear and tear on the motor since each is one move rather than a bunch of small ones every time. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

#790 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Last I heard it is still being worked on and is undergoing extensive testing. That's the one I am holding out for.

#791 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Last I heard it is still being worked on and is undergoing extensive testing. That's the one I am holding out for.

Hold out no further. The “elegance” of the mechanic solution aside, with the lighting, heartbeat, and lid opening, the servo mod is perfect.

#792 4 years ago
Quoted from Agima2000:

Well, Agima2000 thinks so, and he did the mechanical version.

#793 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The servo motion at 5v is pretty slow, so full speed servo with one command to go to the open/close position is a really nice speed with no hassle and less wear and tear on the motor since each is one move rather than a bunch of small ones every time. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

When I set the servo initial position in the setup() it goes at full speed, like a banshee out of hell, since there is no control when you "zero" it out. Your lid must snap open and close crazy. Do you have a video you posted?

I can easily circumvent the timers for full speed but it sure seemed hella fast.

#794 4 years ago

I think one only needs to look at the broken chest brackets to see that the mechanical open close would kill the mech in no time.

#795 4 years ago

Talked about the mod install on the talk show tonight, this link should get you right to the discussion:

(we did remember the name eventually )

#796 4 years ago

When I set the servo initial position in the setup() it goes at full speed, like a banshee out of hell, since there is no control when you "zero" it out. Your lid must snap open and close crazy. Do you have a video you posted?
I can easily circumvent the timers for full speed but it sure seemed hella fast.

Are you giving it more than 5v? The input voltage determines the speed to a large extent. I'm giving it a straight 5v and it's a nice speed open and close. I'll take some video of it opening and closing next time I'm at the location.

#797 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Are you giving it more than 5v? The input voltage determines the speed to a large extent. I'm giving it a straight 5v and it's a nice speed open and close. I'll take some video of it opening and closing next time I'm at the location.

Yah, power goes to the servo, the lighting and the Arduino directly.

#798 4 years ago

Yah, power goes to the servo, the lighting and the Arduino directly.

Did you measure the power at the connector with a multimeter?

#799 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Well, Agima2000 thinks so, and he did the mechanical version.

I think it was me attaching it to the forks , and Agima dabbled with his own servo version , and Harry Houdini took it to a production unit from pinballj’ s initial idea. Looks like a winner, more options, more lights

I havent taken it further, still testing it in my personal game and its holding out fine so far. When I hit 250 games I will take it apart and make the dimensions known .

I’m just not prepared to get burned on receiving blame if and when brackets should break.( how many have actually had a bracket break in normal production units) Thats a side of this forum that holds me back.

I’ve yet to experience it. So far so good

#800 4 years ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I think it was me attaching it to the forks , and Agima dabbled with his own servo version , and Harry Houdini took it to a production unit from pinballj’ s initial idea. Looks like a winner, more options, more lights
I havent taken it further, still testing it in my personal game and its holding out fine so far. When I hit 250 games I will take it apart and make the dimensions known .
I’m just not prepared to get burned on receiving blame if and when brackets should break.( how many have actually had a bracket break in normal production units) Thats a side of this forum that holds me back.
I’ve yet to experience it. So far so good

That's right, I have not built a fork mechanism, but only tested on the original fork prototype.
I have also worked on the 3-disc version several times and can therefore say that this too was not permanent.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.