(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 27.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Ok, you got me stumped on that one. First, you had me scared that it was a programming issue but I hope that it's all good since others have had success. Can you take a pic of the servo and how you have the wire attached? Maybe it's backwards or not oriented properly?

Yes, I think potentially it is wired backwards. The control arm motor is rotating the other direction than what the instruction video shows. Actually, for a fix I just placed the control arm at the 12 o’clock position instead of the 6 o’clock position when lid closed and tightened the hex nut on the rod there. It works and does not interfere with any mechanical or wires so I’m going to leave it unless advised otherwise. Plays well. Such an improvement on the game!!!

#652 4 years ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Yes, I think potentially it is wired backwards. The control arm motor is rotating the other direction than what the instruction video shows. Actually, for a fix I just placed the control arm at the 12 o’clock position instead of the 6 o’clock position when lid closed and tightened the hex nut on the rod there. It works and does not interfere with any mechanical or wires so I’m going to leave it unless advised otherwise. Plays well. Such an improvement on the game!!!

I don't know if this would happen, I didn't test, but is the servo plug connected in the right orientation? The brown from the servo wire matches up with the black from the arduino plug. It's a black connetor with 3 wires.

#653 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

So I'm a few games in - not only is this mod awesome, but it makes me play better as well; I topped my grand champion score as soon as I installed it!
I noticed some "chatter" from the servo - for example, when the lid is open, it'll periodically adjust itself up/down a bid so the chest lid appears to shake a bit every so often. I believe Vireland had noticed this or something similar with the servo attempting to keep the correct position - which pinballj corrected in code a bit later. Scott - did this ship with the latest code update? Wasn't sure if this was the same thing but just running prior code.

Hummm.. interesting. I did not have this happen in my testing. I did not disconnect the servo in the code, from everything I read it wasn't necessary and would let the servo move with force applied to it and not hold its position. Could this be an issue with that particular servo?

I can certainly add a detach method but I've even read comments where people suggest not to do that. It is my understanding you keep it attached so it has power applied and holds its position.

PinMonk or pinballj do you have specific experience with this issue? Or PinMonk were you just commenting that is what pinballj did?

I'll search the thread and see what was up.

#654 4 years ago

Hummm.. interesting. I did not have this happen in my testing. I did not disconnect the servo in the code, from everything I read it wasn't necessary and would let the servo move with force applied to it and not hold its position. Could this be an issue with that particular servo?
I can certainly add a detach method but I've even read comments where people suggest not to do that. It is my understanding you keep it attached so it has power applied and holds its position.
vireland or pinballj do you have specific experience with this issue? Or vireland were you just commenting that is what pinballj did?

Yeah @Harryhoudini..check to see if you have the attach / detach calls in. From the commits:
https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/commit/2f9159ae7dabb1739699a685a197005ceec405a1#diff-022815730130ab86b39b409e5cb96a18

If you do, and it is still chattering, my thought is that the servo is not able to "home its position". I would recommend:
1. Remove the servo arm from the servo
2. Make sure ramp is down
3. Turn game on and allow for servo to "home position "
4. Put servo arm back on (but not too much tension on the linkage, to allow servo to move).

Just my thoughts/opinions. Btw, excellent work for getting these manufacturered! I am terrible with keeping up with emails, let alone pinside in a timely fashion lol.

-Jeremy

#655 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Yeah Harryhoudini..check to see if you have the attach / detach calls in. From the commits:
https://github.com/jfleitz/jjpotc-chest/commit/2f9159ae7dabb1739699a685a197005ceec405a1#diff-022815730130ab86b39b409e5cb96a18
If you do, and it is still chattering, my thought is that the servo is not able to "home its position". I would recommend:
4. Put servo arm back on (but not too much tension on the linkage, to allow servo to move).
Just my thoughts/opinions. Btw, excellent work for getting these manufacturered! I am terrible with keeping up with emails, let alone pinside in a timely fashion lol.
-Jeremy

The detach statement definitely needs to be in the code, otherwise the Servo will eventually burn out

#656 4 years ago

vireland or pinballj do you have specific experience with this issue? Or vireland were you just commenting that is what pinballj did?

I'm using servo detach because if you don't, the servo is alway applying micro-power and it makes annoying noises and unnecessary (in the big picture) micro movements. Pretty sure having the servo keep grinding the position non-stop is worse for the servo than turning it on and off as-needed. It takes quite a bit of force to move the servo, so slippage once software disconnected is not a problem. I'm running it on a route machine (with different overall code I did, but servo detach at the end of each movement) and have had no problems.

#657 4 years ago

Replacement Opto parts were actually Digi-key, not Mouser (I realized when I pulled the bags of them I have). The two I have are:

Part Number 365-1626-ND
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=365-1626-ND%20%20

...and 365-1627-ND
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=365-1627-ND%20%20

Pretty spendy at about $3 each.

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm using servo detach because if you don't, the servo is alway applying micro-power and it makes annoying noises and unnecessary (in the big picture) micro movements. Pretty sure having the servo keep grinding the position non-stop is worse for the servo than turning it on and off as-needed. It takes quite a bit of force to move the servo, so slippage once software disconnected is not a problem. I'm running it on a route machine (with different overall code I did, but servo detach at the end of each movement) and have had no problems.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The detach statement definitely needs to be in the code, otherwise the Servo will eventually burn out

Ok, I'll add that in and provide instructions on how to update. Every dang resource I can find, even the Arduino examples, don't seem to use it or say not to.

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballj:

Yeah Harryhoudini..check to see if you have the attach / detach calls in. From the commits:
-Jeremy

Good notes. Weird, I tested maybe 10 servos in various code iterations and never had any chatter.

#660 4 years ago

Good notes. Weird, I tested maybe 10 servos in various code iterations and never had any chatter.

It's pretty quiet unless it's against something that amplifies the vibration. I could HEAR it on my desk, then holding it, I could feel it. But I can't imagine it's good for the life of the servo.

#661 4 years ago

Ok, I'll add that in and provide instructions on how to update. Every dang resource I can find, even the Arduino examples, don't seem to use it or say not to.

This is a common thing with the Arduino examples - they get you started but don’t always follow all the way through for practical use

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's pretty quiet unless it's against something that amplifies the vibration. I could HEAR it on my desk, then holding it, I could feel it. But I can't imagine it's good for the life of the servo.

Is there any easier way for people to update their Arduinos aside from using the IDE or web editor? I'll post the updated code once I test it and make a video on updating. I was looking to see if a USB drive could do it or maybe a Pi? I would be happy to mail a pi to people if they could just plug it in and it would update. Whatever to make it easiest.

Oh and we'll deploy it on the 2nd batch. I would also swap out or program controllers for people if they want to send them in.

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is a common thing with the Arduino examples - they get you started but don’t always follow all the way through for practical use

Well, I mean I read some in-depth threads on servo movement concepts and implementation especially non-blocking stuff and I know specifically people called out not detaching the servo so as to keep it in place. Guess I missed that part of the discussion here, doh.

#664 4 years ago

Is there any easier way for people to update their Arduinos aside from using the IDE or web editor? I'll post the updated code once I test it and make a video on updating. I was looking to see if a USB drive could do it or maybe a Pi? I would be happy to mail a pi to people if they could just plug it in and it would update. Whatever to make it easiest.
Oh and we'll deploy it on the 2nd batch. I would also swap out or program controllers for people if they want to send them in.

I don't know of any way, but I'm by no means a Nano master. Pretty sure you just need to plug it into a computer and update that way through the USB.

I actually got one of those $129 Dell Inspiron 11" mini Win10 laptops specifically for this purpose, since when I'm testing it post-install, lugging a full laptop every time I wanted to field test an update I completed bench testing at home was a pain.

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't know of any way, but I'm by no means a Nano master. Pretty sure you just need to plug it into a computer and update that way through the USB.
I actually got one of those $129 Dell Inspiron 11" mini Win10 laptops specifically for this purpose, since when I'm testing it post-install, lugging a full laptop every time I wanted to field test an update I completed bench testing at home was a pain.

Cool, I don't see anything other than OTA and that's not applicable. I'll get an update video posted and details on how to get a swap from me.

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Totally agree with you on this. I assumed that the func would go to the pos and stop, not go to the pos and hold. Sadly I cant remember who called this out to me (and the reason why I added the detach).

Either way, I appreciate the constructive criticism myself lol. I havent had a servo motor burn out yet, but I did put the change in awhile ago too.

#667 4 years ago

Looks like you can deploy a compiled HEX binary using various loaders that people have written. Here is one: https://github.com/twinearthsoftware/ArduinoSketchUploader

That one is windows only. Not sure how much easier that is versus installing the IDE. Maybe saves a few steps, but not really.

Another that is win only: https://sourceforge.net/projects/arduinodev/files/ArduinoBuilder/

Mac specific one: http://paulkaplan.me/HexUploader/

I'm gonna test these and figure out the easiest method.

#668 4 years ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Hi Harry, The chest lid mod it is in place and working well. Was easier than I thought it was going to be. There is one trouble - it is working opposite of what it supposed to be doing. Game starts with lid open. After LOAD and CHEST activated and “ shoot the chest to lock a ball,” then the lid closes. When I lock a ball, the lid opens back up, etc. is there an easy way to fix this now since everything is adjusted so perfectly?
PS. First post on this mod and it’s an excellent one! Nice work! (To all involved).

Same thing on mine. What I did was instead of having the arm point down like in Harry’s video I flipped it up. Didn’t need to flip the polarity then.

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

Same thing on mine. What I did was instead of having the arm point down like in Harry’s video I flipped it up. Didn’t need to flip the polarity then.

Interesting. I should test and see if it the servo reverses plugged in backwards. I don't know how some could move one way and some the other.

#670 4 years ago

Code is updated, I'll post it shortly with instructions for both Windows and Mac on how to do the update. I'll also post how to get a swap of your controller if you don't want to do it. But it's really simple and I'll do a video on how to update. All mods that ship from this point forward (if you do not already have a tracking number) will have the v1.1 code with the servo detaching.

I didn't get a chance to test the servo direction yet. Was busy soldering and trying to get the next batch ready. CPR informed me the lids have already shipped so just waiting on those.

#671 4 years ago

Code is updated, I'll post it shortly with instructions for both Windows and Mac on how to do the update. I'll also post how to get a swap of your controller if you don't want to do it. But it's really simple and I'll do a video on how to update. All mods that ship from this point forward (if you do not already have a tracking number) will have the v1.1 code with the servo detaching.
I didn't get a chance to test the servo direction yet. Was busy soldering and trying to get the next batch ready. CPR informed me the lids have already shipped so just waiting on those.

At least it's easy to correct, just attach the lid rod to the arm on the other side of the servo arm.

#672 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

At least it's easy to correct, just attach the lid rod to the arm on the other side of the servo arm.

For the rotation yea. For the servo detach might be a bit more challenging.

I also found, on a side note, that older USB cables are really iffy. I bought some new mini USB and it solved all of my programming issues. But yeah, download the IDE and upload the sketch. Hopefully not that troublesome and if there is any more feedback on colors, speeds, etc. I can add in more changes.

#673 4 years ago

Got the Chest Mod and Maelstrom switch upgrade done! Incredible work man! Played about 15 games and everything kicking butt...worth every penny!

#674 4 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Got the Chest Mod and Maelstrom switch upgrade done! Incredible work man! Played about 15 games and everything kicking butt...worth every penny!

Maelstrom switch? What was wrong with it?

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Maelstrom switch? What was wrong with it?

Harry made a mod which hides the switch. I didn’t notice it until he pointed it out, but it is REALLY distracting once it’s on your radar

#677 4 years ago

any news on updated code HH? I was about to install and I remembered it needed an update...

#678 4 years ago

I got wrapped up in trying to finish the backboard star lighting. I have the code open here, I added a bit more stuff to it (cycles the chest when it first gets power, cleaned up a few things and left the servo on for a long time to see if it creeped, which it has not). I just want to go over it again and I'll post it today. Making videos on how to update for those that don't know.

#679 4 years ago

I got wrapped up in trying to finish the backboard star lighting. I have the code open here, I added a bit more stuff to it (cycles the chest when it first gets power, cleaned up a few things and left the servo on for a long time to see if it creeped, which it has not). I just want to go over it again and I'll post it today. Making videos on how to update for those that don't know.

We have it running on route and I used servo disconnect from the get-go. It does not creep in any visible way if disconnected after moving. Don't worry about that.

#680 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We have it running on route and I used servo disconnect from the get-go. It does not creep in any visible way if disconnected after moving. Don't worry about that.

Oh, I was more worried that the cycle was right in my code. Not sure if you looked at it but the way the servo movement works now is non-blocking so it's a bit different. So, meaning, it seems like the disconnect is working properly in the updated code not that the servo would move without being connected.

#681 4 years ago

Oh, I was more worried that the cycle was right in my code. Not sure if you looked at it but the way the servo movement works now is non-blocking so it's a bit different. So, meaning, it seems like the disconnect is working properly in the updated code not that the servo would move without being connected.

Oh, I didn't look at the way you did it. I decided that the incremental servo commands in the initial code taken from an ardiono sample were a pretty useless difference over just telling the servo to go to the desired position in one shot and then disconnecting. Simpler, easier, less stress on the unit, not much practical difference visually, so that's the way I went.

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Oh, I didn't look at the way you did it. I decided that the incremental servo commands in the initial code taken from an ardiono sample were a pretty useless difference over just telling the servo to go to the desired position in one shot and then disconnecting. Simpler, easier, less stress on the unit, not much practical difference visually, so that's the way I went.

Yah, it has to be non-blocking to do all the other things I am doing. Looking for key presses, doing the heartbeat, etc. The delays in the original code block everything so everything is timer based now. Tiny, incremental moves each loop over N millis.

#683 4 years ago

ChestModCode.v.1.1

New code is there. Someone want to sanity check this for me?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwxjiChpERzNHH9Ty9zyNsT4XK6R4gFE

Notes:
- Servo now attaches and detaches before and after each move cycle. This should prevent any adjustments or creep while it is stationary

- On initial power on the servo cycles the chest lid and then sets it's position based on the switch. Generally this should never be needed since the switch will most likely be closed any time the game gets power on but it bugged me.

- Modified the speeds just a bit to give a bigger range

- Added some checking of servo position and a few other fixes and arrangements of code

Working on details on installing the update for Win and Mac users.

#684 4 years ago

Hey Harry, got everything installed and adjusted properly with chest lighting but the chest is not opening/closing during gameplay. Also getting the chest chatter/movement that everyone is talking about. When I initially power the game on the chest opens and closes without any hangup and then stays closed throughout gameplay with a little chatter here and there. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

#685 4 years ago

Does this mod require any permanent alterations to either the chest or the game itself? Looks really cool.

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from Meadowhawk:

Hey Harry, got everything installed and adjusted properly with chest lighting but the chest is not opening/closing during gameplay. Also getting the chest chatter/movement that everyone is talking about. When I initially power the game on the chest opens and closes without any hangup and then stays closed throughout gameplay with a little chatter here and there. Any ideas as to what might be going on?

Check the servo switch with the forks down and see if the arm is bent out enough on the switch to be triggered. I bet the switch isn't triggering.

#687 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does this mod require any permanent alterations to either the chest or the game itself? Looks really cool.

Nope. Aside from some small wear and tear on the screw holes on the chest lid it's completely reversible.

#688 4 years ago

Did that and the switch is depressed when forks are down. That's the way it should be right?

#689 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check the switch with the forks down and see if the arm is bent out enough on the switch to be triggered. I bet the switch isn't triggering.

I'll take a look at it again...thanks.

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from Meadowhawk:

Did that and the switch is depressed when forks are down. That's the way it should be right?

But if you force the arm down a little more, does the switch base click? If it still has room to click, it's not registering.

Did you get the lighting? If so, can you see it on inside the chest?

#691 4 years ago

Yeah, flick the switch (hold it down) to make sure it is clicking and the servo activates. You can push the forks up manually (side the white bushings on the side up, the ones that contact the switch) to get them out of the way. If the servo moving when the switch activates then I would make sure the switch connection is good (the red plug in the bundle of wires).

Btw, we do test every one when we install the code initially. We run through all of the functions with the actual switch and servo that get shipped with.

#692 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But if you force the arm down a little more, does the switch base click? If it still has room to click, it's not registering.

Did you get the lighting? If so, can you see it on inside the chest?

When the forks are down and resting on the arm of the switch I can't make it click by manually forcing the arm up. But, I will check it again and maybe bend the arm a little more than it is to see if that makes a difference. Yes, the lighting mod inside the chest is working. It stays on all the time in the heartbeat mode, stays on with chest closed...hope that is right...

#693 4 years ago
Quoted from Meadowhawk:

When the forks are down and resting on the arm of the switch I can't make it click by manually forcing the arm up. But, I will check it again and maybe bend the arm a little more than it is to see if that makes a difference. Yes, the lighting mod inside the chest is working. It stays on all the time in the heartbeat mode, stays on with chest closed...hope that is right...

Nope, that's indicative of the switch not working. Push the forks up out of the way and try clicking the switch. It has to stay depressed for 500ms to activate. When it activates the lights should shut off and the servo should move. If neither of those are happening then there is a problem with the switch or the connection to the board. Either way we'll get you parts shipped out to replace.

#694 4 years ago

Yeah, flick the switch (hold it down) to make sure it is clicking and the servo activates. You can push the forks up manually (side the white bushings on the side up, the ones that contact the switch) to get them out of the way. If the servo moving when the switch activates then I would make sure the switch connection is good (the red plug in the bundle of wires).

Btw, we do test every one when we install the code initially. We run through all of the functions with the actual switch and servo that get shipped with.

Thanks, I will check all that. My wife is forcing me out of the house at the moment but I will check it when I get back and let you know what I find out.

#695 4 years ago

Nope, that's indicative of the switch not working. Push the forks up out of the way and try clicking the switch. It has to stay depressed for 500ms to activate. When it activates the lights should shut off and the servo should move. If neither of those are happening then there is a problem with the switch or the connection to the board. Either way we'll get you parts shipped out to replace.

I'll check this and let you know...thanks.

#696 4 years ago
Quoted from Meadowhawk:

Thanks, I will check all that. My wife is forcing me out of the house at the moment but I will check it when I get back and let you know what I find out.

HAH. This is not allowed! Pinball is life!

#697 4 years ago

Here are the updating instructions for the Arduino controller. Aside from a laptop you need a mini USB cable. I linked to one on amazon, if you have an old one it should work but I had trouble with really old ones.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-update-instructions

Someone let me know if they have done this and tried the new code. If I left anything out, anything is unclear. Thanks!

Added over 4 years ago:

Here are the updating instructions for the Arduino controller. Aside from a laptop you need a mini USB cable. I linked to one on amazon, if you have an old one it should work but I had trouble with really old ones.

https://pinballmods.co/chest-mod-code-update

Someone let me know if they have done this and tried the new code. If I left anything out, anything is unclear. Thanks!

#698 4 years ago
Quoted from Meadowhawk:

If the lights are always "beating" then that likely means the switch is always on or wired wrong.

So with the playfield raised and power on, if the forks are UP and the lights in the chest are on, will manually closing the switch with your hand so it clicks turn them off? Or even when the switch clicks closed manually with your hands the lights stay on?

#699 4 years ago

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-update-instructions

I tried the new code and the chest is reversed now - prior version had orientation correct; now it's open when forks down instead of closed.

FYI I uploaded the 1.0 code and the orientation is correct again.

Scott - was the orientation change in 1.1 intentional or a mistake?

#700 4 years ago

Can the code be updated before the mod is installed or does it require power from the pirates?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/14?hl=meadowhawk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.