(Topic ID: 244666)

JJPOTC Treasure Chest Open/Close mod, now working!

By pinballj

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20230211_193725 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_193309 (resized).jpg
IMG_20230211_174738 (resized).jpg
2022-12-10 18.13.36 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.16 (resized).jpg
2022-12-03 16.39.03 (resized).jpg
20221109_175012 (resized).jpg
20221109_190714 (resized).jpg
20221109_175033 (resized).jpg
20221109_174757 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_152356_edit_415805112164156 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151959 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151839_edit_415860847540189 (resized).jpg
IMG_20221017_151846_edit_415835308941755 (resized).jpg
D51450B8-C097-4943-9B2C-5358436C4892 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2497 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 27.
#601 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

Great...now that the chest mod is done, you need to finish the star map mod that folks paid for...I know I paid you weeks ago for it...id like to finally get mine!

I think Scott has done a great job especially from the creative side. Creative people need some time. Don't put to much pressure on him. He has several projects running. Better getting a great mod later than an early mod with problems.

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I think Scott has done a great job especially from the creative side. Creative people need some time. Don't put to much pressure on him. He has several projects running. Better getting a great mod later than an early mod with problems.

I'm not putting pressure on him...lol...he posted a comment weeks ago saying they would ship within 2 weeks...I paid for an item...I'd just like my item! I don't see nothing wrong with that...I've talked to Scott via email and on here...I know the chest mod took on a lot but sometimes you need to take care of the other orders that came in! (My original post was not meant to be a dick or sound like a dick..i just really want that mod installed...)

#603 4 years ago

I'm not putting pressure on him...lol...he posted a comment weeks ago saying they would ship within 2 weeks...I paid for an item...I'd just like my item! I don't see nothing wrong with that...I've talked to Scott via email and on here...I know the chest mod took on a lot but sometimes you need to take care of the other orders that came in!

I have several orders running as well and I am looking forward to getting this Christmas package in August already. The longer it takes the more excited you (and me) are

#604 4 years ago

We're getting caught up. Different supplier delays for both the chest mod and the backboard lighting have caused us to rearrange timelines as we had to. I understand the wait annoyance, we're pushing through them as quickly as we can. Now that we are waiting for the CPR delivery we are catching up on other orders. There were a lot of coordinate because many people kept ordering new items, wanting to add on to previous orders, especially the lighting mod. Unlike most online stores we tried to be accommodating of all changes given the somewhat new nature of the products we kept adding to our offering, like the chest lighting mod which was a late addition. Thanks for the patience guys, we're working on it!

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from fifou313:

Cool!!
Could you make a vid to show us where to use all these screws??
Regads

Heh, yeah... I have 4 or 5 more segments to post. I am reshooting one today that was a bit confusing after watching it a few times. Then I'll post, should be in time for all those who are getting the first batch.

#606 4 years ago

Working with Scott on these projects, I can definitely tell you the man doesn't want to release anything until it is 100%.

So at least know when you get it, it'll work and you'll be happy!

#607 4 years ago

I can read in to that, Scott's really anal.

Yeah, just a few people putting this stuff together in our spare time. Trying to walk the line of not over-promising and under delivering, but I think there's a bit of leeway when it comes to the unknown of a lot of this stuff while we develop it and trying to accomodate the things people ask for, like the lighting mod controls and the speed on the chest. That's why I try to keep the threads updated with progress, although the starmap one did get a bit behind as we focused on this chest one.

#608 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Yeah, just a few people putting this stuff together in our spare time. Trying to walk the line of not over-promising and under delivering, but I think there's a bit of leeway when it comes to the unknown of a lot of this stuff while we develop it and trying to accomodate the things people ask for, like the lighting mod controls and the speed on the chest. That's why I try to keep the threads updated with progress, although the starmap one did get a bit behind as we focused on this chest one.

And the trip to the Bahamas would have slowed things down as well.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

And the trip to the Bahamas would have slowed things down as well.

Shh.

#610 4 years ago

I was gonna rig my own primitive version directly from the solenoid but am happy to support your more elegant solution! The extra features are appreciated.

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

I was gonna rig my own primitive version directly from the solenoid but am happy to support your more elegant solution! The extra features are appreciated.

It's mostly pinballj and other people here who asked for stuff. I just took their good ideas, lol. It was a great time figuring it all out, now I have plans for several other Arduino based mods.

#612 4 years ago

Just arrived in the mail today. Can't wait to install this on my LE.

Thanks Harry for the mod and thank you pinballj for for sparking the fire on this one!

20190814_113248 (resized).jpg20190814_113248 (resized).jpg
#613 4 years ago

Didn't have far to travel

Videos today, I think. Still trying to get as many out as we can. CPR order is shipping today, so we should be close to getting a bunch more out this week if we get them by Friday but who knows with customs.

#614 4 years ago

Didn't have far to travel
Videos today, I think. Still trying to get as many out as we can. CPR order is shipping today, so we should be close to getting a bunch more out this week if we get them by Friday but who knows with customs.

According to tracking mine arrived today as well! Are there written instructions in the box with how to install?

#615 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

According to tracking mine arrived today as well! Are there written instructions in the box with how to install?

There are no written instructions. There is a link to the instructions in the box and I'll be posting it here as well. Trying to finish up a few things and get the last video up. Either way I'll get something up so you guys can start installing.

On another note... As some had asked, here is the code for the finished lighting mod controller. It's a pretty big gut of the original code: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwxjiChpERzNHH9Ty9zyNsT4XK6R4gFE

And if you want the lighting mod separately for your own install or if you already got the chest mod and want to add on the lighting I added it as an option here: If you want to order the lighting add-on separately (either for your own install or for a chest mod you already got from us) I added it as an option now: https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

Added over 4 years ago:

There are no written instructions. There is a link to the instructions in the box and I'll be posting it here as well. Trying to finish up a few things and get the last video up. Either way I'll get something up so you guys can start installing.

On another note... As some had asked, here is the code for the finished lighting mod controller. It's a pretty big gut of the original code: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZwxjiChpERzNHH9Ty9zyNsT4XK6R4gFE

And if you want the lighting mod separately for your own install or if you already got the chest mod and want to add on the lighting I added it as an option here: If you want to order the lighting add-on separately (either for your own install or for a chest mod you already got from us) I added it as an option now: https://pinballmods.co/pinballjs-actuated-chest-mod-jjp-potc

#616 4 years ago

That is very cool of you. I wanted to roll my own chest mod, but it's a move like this that got me to start adding stuff to my shopping cart on the site. Very cool

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Arrived. Look forward to it!!

#618 4 years ago

I must be in the second patch.
However im unsure if i got the lighting mod addition. Is there a way for to check. Cause if i didnt i want to add it for sure.

#619 4 years ago
Quoted from bgwilly31:

I must be in the second patch.
However im unsure if i got the lighting mod addition. Is there a way for to check. Cause if i didnt i want to add it for sure.

Sure, PM me your name or order number or something.

#620 4 years ago

**Installation Instructions**

Ok, I really need to watch these again so feel free to point out all the shiz I messed up and got wrong and I'll edit or re-cut. Any tips or tricks and I'll add them to the page. Gotta run back and finish up the galaxy plastic lighting mod.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuating-chest-mod-installation-for-jjp-potc

Added over 4 years ago:

**Installation Instructions**

Ok, I really need to watch these again so feel free to point out all the shiz I messed up and got wrong and I'll edit or re-cut. Any tips or tricks and I'll add them to the page. Gotta run back and finish up the galaxy plastic lighting mod.

https://pinballmods.co/actuated-chest-mod-installation-for-jjp-potc
https://pinballmods.co/chest-mod-code-update

#621 4 years ago

If you want to order the lighting add-on separately (either for your own install or for a chest mod you already got from us) I added it as an option now: https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/jpinballs-actuated-chest-mod-jersey-jack-pinball-pirates-of-the-caribbean

#622 4 years ago

Great...now that the chest mod is done, you need to finish the star map mod that folks paid for...I know I paid you weeks ago for it...id like to finally get mine!

Patience!

#623 4 years ago

Received my order today! Ran into my first issue though - the servo slid right out of the mounting holes on the bracket. Looks like the holes got stripped when installed or the holes on the bracket are just a tad too large for the screws to bite properly. Anyone who received theirs have this issue?

#624 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

Received my order today! Ran into my first issue though - the servo slid right out of the mounting holes on the bracket. Looks like the holes got stripped when installed or the holes on the bracket are just a tad too large for the screws to bite properly. Anyone who received theirs have this issue?

Bah! I don't think they are stripped, I think the hole was too big. I thought we caught all of them, sorry. Just toss a larger screw in, if you need them I'll toss some in the mail tomorrow.

#625 4 years ago

In and working...knock on wood everything seems fine. Mounting the box was tough with the self tapping screws. But so far so good. Once you play it, you realize why it should have been in the production game. So much easier to see where you are at.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#626 4 years ago

Went with two individual LEDs for the heart instead of a strip and made two halves of a "beat" so there's a side for each ventricle, left ventricle "pumps", right ventricle lights up, and they both fade.

Cheat Heartbeat-min.gifCheat Heartbeat-min.gif

Still working on the lagoon lighting part. Undesirable reflection everywhere I've tried to place the 4x4 matrix. Going to try a couple individial LEDs instead next.

#627 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Went with two individual LEDs for the heart instead of a strip and made two halves of a "beat" so there's a side for each ventricle, left ventricle "pumps", right ventricle lights up, and they both fade.
[quoted image]
Still working on the lagoon lighting part. Reflection everywhere I've tried to place the 4x4 matrix. Going to try a couple individial LEDs instead next.

Nice!

#628 4 years ago
Quoted from VillaThrills:

In and working...knock on wood everything seems fine. Mounting the box was tough with the self tapping screws. But so far so good. Once you play it, you realize why it should have been in the production game. So much easier to see where you are at.

Yeah, but try it with a nut. Pain in the arse. I used a powered screwdriver, put them right in, but yeah, by hand it killed the knuckles a bit.

#629 4 years ago

Question,
Your video starts with the lid off and the coil removed. I assume it's pretty simple to take off and attach the lid to the plate? Also, does the coil go back to the original place or is it moved?

#630 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Question,
Your video starts with the lid off and the coil removed. I assume it's pretty simple to take off and attach the lid to the plate? Also, does the coil go back to the original place or is it moved?

It's a pain to get the two nuts holding the hinge removed due to small working space, but it's not hard. You need a 5/16", preferably low-profile socket. As long at the power's off, you don't have to worry about the coil lugs. (I didn't watch the video, so didn't know the coil was being removed - I did it without taking the coil off)

The MAIN thing you need to be very careful of is the middle opto receiver (transmitter? I'm not sure what's on the back side of the chest) just below the hinge. If you knock that out (easy to do) it's a PAIN to get it snapped back in, and you can break the snap-in connector legs.

#631 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Question,

Crap, let me look. I did a segment on the lid removal if it isn't there.

Remove the two nuts with 5/16 like PinMonk said. To get to the far left one (from front) you may need to remove the solenoid. There is a brass screw behind it, I used the bit from a 6-in-1 screwdriver to remove it. There is a small washer on the solenoid I believe, it may fall when you pull the solenoid out so try to get it. Usually it's attached to the solenoid still. Push the solenoid to the left, lay it in the out loop on a towel.

#632 4 years ago

Bah! I don't think they are stripped, I think the hole was too big. I thought we caught all of them, sorry. Just toss a larger screw in, if you need them I'll toss some in the mail tomorrow.

What size screw do I need to use?

#633 4 years ago

Ugh...while installing the mod the opto closest to the Dauntless popped off, and it appears the piece that keeps it snapped in place on the hole broke. What is the best way to reattach this? A dab of hot glue?

#634 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Ugh...while installing the mod the opto closest to the Dauntless popped off, and it appears the piece that keeps it snapped in place on the hole broke. What is the best way to reattach this? A dab of hot glue?

Yup. Not your fault, faulty design. Almost none of mine stay in now after swapping chest brackets.

#635 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

What size screw do I need to use?

#4 1/2 is what is in there, I think. So something bigger. Doesn't matter as long as it fits the hole and holds the servo. I can check, still in bed.

#636 4 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

OK, so a little nervous to install mine. Does anyone have a pic of the opto so I know what to look for and try to avoid breaking?

#637 4 years ago

On the back of the chest bracket there are 3 little black plastic pieces. If you shine a light back there you'll see them. They just clip in to the chest, easily come out and even break the mounting clips. Worst case you hot glue them back in place, which is probably even better than the original. I have one that is flopping around right now (I think I had to move it out of the way while I was filming even). I'll take a pic when I wake up more.

#638 4 years ago

On the back of the chest bracket there are 3 little black plastic pieces. If you shine a light back there you'll see them. They just clip in to the chest, easily come out and even break the mounting clips. Worst case you hot glue them back in place, which is probably even better than the original. I have one that is flopping around right now (I think I had to move it out of the way while I was filming even). I'll take a pic when I wake up more.

Yeah, this was the WORST part of installing the lid. I was able to get the middle one back on without breaking the legs, but it's a huge pain in the butt, and if you break them, replacing them is the only way to do it right. Fortunately they're pretty cheap. Mouser has them.

#639 4 years ago

Hi Harry, The chest lid mod it is in place and working well. Was easier than I thought it was going to be. There is one trouble - it is working opposite of what it supposed to be doing. Game starts with lid open. After LOAD and CHEST activated and “ shoot the chest to lock a ball,” then the lid closes. When I lock a ball, the lid opens back up, etc. is there an easy way to fix this now since everything is adjusted so perfectly?

PS. First post on this mod and it’s an excellent one! Nice work! (To all involved).

#640 4 years ago

Yeah, when I saw your video with the lid already off, I wondered what that involved.

This is starting to sound labor intensive in a shitty kind of way. I don't mind unravelling and resorting this game, though I am very much tired of that part of this process, but I really don't want to run the risk of breaking things, not already broken.

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, when I saw your video with the lid already off, I wondered what that involved.
This is starting to sound labor intensive in a shitty kind of way. I don't mind unravelling and resorting this game, though I am very much tired of that part of this process, but I really don't want to run the risk of breaking things, not already broken.

It really is an easy process as long as you know what to avoid. I was doing it blind, and so was Harry, so we've mapped out the hard part for you! Even with the irritating nuts you need to remove, the whole process should take about 15 minutes proceeeding slowly so as not to break the IR brackets.

#642 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, this was the WORST part of installing the lid. I was able to get the middle one back on without breaking the legs, but it's a huge pain in the butt, and if you break them, replacing them is the only way to do it right. Fortunately they're pretty cheap. Mouser has them.

Knowing me, I might as well order them now!!! Do you have a link for the bracket from Mouser?

#643 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Knowing me, I might as well order them now!!! Do you have a link for the bracket from Mouser?

It's not a bracket, it's an all-in one IR receiver or transmitter casing. I need to look at the diagram to see if it's a transmitter or a receiver that's on that side.

#644 4 years ago

#4 1/2 is what is in there, I think. So something bigger. Doesn't matter as long as it fits the hole and holds the servo. I can check, still in bed.

Ended up using #6 3/4 screws.

Got the whole thing installed - took me a good 45min including aligning the lid which took the longest. I used the alternate rod config for my install.

Still testing and messing with how much I want things to open. So far looks great! Due to the angle of the chest, it’s easy to see the lid mech but not much one can do there. Putting back on the coil shield made it pretty tight but shouldn’t be an issue.

#645 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

Ended up using #6 3/4 screws.
Got the whole thing installed - took me a good 45min including aligning the lid which took the longest. I used the alternate rod config for my install.
Still testing and messing with how much I want things to open. So far looks great! Due to the angle of the chest, it’s easy to see the lid mech but not much one can do there. Putting back on the coil shield made it pretty tight but shouldn’t be an issue.

Glad you were able to solve that. I've let the team know they better shape up!

Quoted from SDpinballer:

Hi Harry, The chest lid mod it is in place and working well. Was easier than I thought it was going to be. There is one trouble - it is working opposite of what it supposed to be doing. Game starts with lid open. After LOAD and CHEST activated and “ shoot the chest to lock a ball,” then the lid closes. When I lock a ball, the lid opens back up, etc. is there an easy way to fix this now since everything is adjusted so perfectly?
PS. First post on this mod and it’s an excellent one! Nice work! (To all involved).

Ok, you got me stumped on that one. First, you had me scared that it was a programming issue but I hope that it's all good since others have had success. Can you take a pic of the servo and how you have the wire attached? Maybe it's backwards or not oriented properly?

#646 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Damnit. I wasn't sure if they were generic, I paid JJP for one when I got the other under warranty (heh) for the BP optos. I would have just bought bulk from Mouser. Seems like they'll be breaking in the future, just a hunch.

#647 4 years ago

Damnit. I wasn't sure if they were generic, I paid JJP for one when I got the other under warranty (heh) for the BP optos. I would have just bought bulk from Mouser. Seems like they'll be breaking in the future, just a hunch.

The mouser ones need the ends of the wire leads crimped into a connector, but that's all.

#648 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The mouser ones need the ends of the wire leads crimped into a connector, but that's all.

Cool, I have some of those connectors now anyhow for other mods. So many molex/connector styles! Or just rob the old ones and solder them up, I guess.

#649 4 years ago

So I'm a few games in - not only is this mod awesome, but it makes me play better as well; I topped my grand champion score as soon as I installed it!

I noticed some "chatter" from the servo - for example, when the lid is open, it'll periodically adjust itself up/down a bid so the chest lid appears to shake a bit every so often. I believe Vireland had noticed this or something similar with the servo attempting to keep the correct position - which pinballj corrected in code a bit later. Scott - did this ship with the latest code update? Wasn't sure if this was the same thing but just running prior code.

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

So I'm a few games in - not only is this mod awesome, but it makes me play better as well; I topped my grand champion score as soon as I installed it!
I noticed some "chatter" from the servo - for example, when the lid is open, it'll periodically adjust itself up/down a bid so the chest lid appears to shake a bit every so often. I believe Vireland had noticed this or something similar with the servo attempting to keep the correct position - which pinballj corrected in code a bit later. Scott - did this ship with the latest code update? Wasn't sure if this was the same thing but just running prior code.

Once the servo finishes moving each time, it needs to be disconnected with a command.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 1,330 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-treasure-chest-open-and-close/page/13?hl=tgrinchy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.