(Topic ID: 200624)

JJPOTC suggestions thread (+ attitude pls)

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dnaman
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
20171013_203646 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Jersey Jack Pinball's Pirates of the Caribbean has reignited the community's passion for pinball!

JJP has always put passion for pinball first, and JJPOTC is no exception, yet they have always been open to listening to + and - criticism from the community. They know that we, the community, have their interests at heart - we want every pin they make to be the best it can possibly be.

A couple of examples of changes made because of community feedback:
- DI side art modified from guy holding cell phone into air to what it is now.
- redesign of playfield art for The Hobbit

Let's discuss in this thread things you like and don't like about the design, hardware, software and art with a +positive+ and +constructive+ attitude please.

=> Comments regarding pricing, release dates, the pinball market in general (Stern) are not welcome in this thread - please use another thread to discuss.

Again, this thread is to discuss what you like and what you think might be (reasonably) improved in the next few months. Comments from those who have seen and played the game in person would be invaluable but this does not mean that comments from those who have only seen vids and pics can't be just as insightful.

It is with the highest level of respect for JJP that I create this thread and not because I think there are large issues that require us to bash them so keep it constructive please.

With that in mind...

What did you like about JJPOTC and what do you think can be reasonably tweaked in order to improve the game before release?

#6 6 years ago

Yes, Eric mentioned they are still looking for ways to incorporate camera into gameplay - please post more ideas here.

#12 6 years ago

Playfield looks so fantasticly detailed that, IMO, large regions of plastic for ramps with visible screws stands out.

If there were some pieces of colored plastic (or moulds) that covered up the edges of the ramps with colored screws that blended in or were even hidden somehow, I think it would greatly improve overall look. Again, it's only because rest of playfield and moulds look so fantastic that these areas now stand out IMO.

(Image credit from great article: http://thisweekinpinball.com/pirates-caribbean-deep-dive-likes-dislikes-code-features/)

Two images show regions I'm talking about and other two are to show incredible level of detail of other parts of playfield which highlists plainness of ramp areas. For 2nd image below, imagine small wave moulds that were screwed in above where screws are and along edges of ramp - would look very cool and would hide screws.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

These ramps are prototypes and they said production would be clear, so they might have other changes planned for those areas as well. The clear ramps will also allow you to see what is behind them so they won't stand out as much.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, clear ramps I'm Ok with, just talking about having colored plastics or moulded pieces along edges of ramps to hide screws and emphasize what the ramp signifies. For example, moulded *waves* along edges of water ramp and *rope* moulds along edges of ship ramp.

#18 6 years ago

Yes those chrome checkered ones will be replaced with new LED spinners - yay to innovation

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

I'd love to see photos associated with high scores. I can see it now: you get a high score and the screen shows "3...2...1...Say 'Arrrr!!'" *SNAP* The camera takes your photo and puts a pirate hat and eye patch on your picture, kinda like those ridiculous Instagram filters. How fun would that be for home use!!
-Doug

Would be cool, just need to add option for player to allow or disallow this feature at time they enter high score initials.

#24 6 years ago

Yes callouts already done but depending on how great the jackpot accomplished is they can amp up callouts by increasing volume and also adding other background sounds along with it, waves, crash sounds, monster roars etc. I agree, exciting callouts very important!

#55 6 years ago

Sway complexity of upper playfield ship:

It looks like ship only rotates from side to side around one rotation point which is OK (I'm guessing two dimensional swaying was not worth the effort although would have been cool).

Regarding this swaying motion, I have seen that it has different rates of sway depending on gameplay and Eric mentioned in release vid that he intends to have more sway occurring than what is seen now. Naturally these sways should be based on sine waves and not on linear side-to-side motions.

My thoughts:

Cannon shot from ship should be more difficult to make the further you get into the game. Early and easier modes have little sway or more predictable sway so shot is easier. Highest levels (wizard modes etc) should require almost wizard levels of skill to succeed at this cannon shot. I say this as it is very easy to release a game where after playing only a few games, most people will get the shot a high percentage of the time and this would be a shame as it would devalue the importance of that shot in the game.

Sway action should not just increase in speed as a way to make shot more difficult but should incorporate more complex motions like the following:

a) Lowest levels only increase speed of sway to make shot more difficult (single sine wave action - very predictable).

b) Intermediate levels add multiple sine waves of differing frequency to make sway more difficult to predict. Sine waves are low-integer multiples of other waves so that they line up every few waves (so they are ultimately still predictable with practice). So you might have one sine wave at frequency x and the other at 0.5x for example (then 1/3, 1/4, 2/3 etc).

c) Higher levels may incorporate 3 or more sine wave making it seem almost random but still not random with enough practice (integer multiples again like 1:2:3, 1:2:4 etc.). Even higher levels can then incorporate non-integer multiples of sway frequency so would seem random. And ultimately at highest wizard levels, incorporate some random sine frequencies to get crazy sway and make it very difficult and almost unpredictable (just like what it would seem like during crazy storm on ocean).

((d)) Crazy wish if possible, start to incorporate 2d waves at highest levels so ship can sway forward and back as well as side to side but I understand this is probably too difficult and it's too late to change hardware.

I should add that amplitude of wave should also be scaled up as difficulty increases (so maximum sway occurs at highest levels of course).

Here is 2D simulation using 5 sine waves:

Also, although most sways should be generated by sine waves to model how real waves work, during special modes it would be cool to break this with violent shaking or other motions occasionally during a Kraken attack or whatever.

In any case, in plain English, what I'm saying is that it would be cool to make the ship shot an increasingly difficult shot to make depending on game level and at highest wizard level should be at least as hard as hole-in-one shot in No Good Gophers. Most importantly to make the ship **a minigame-like game** that requires development of skills in and of itself - you have to play a lot to get better at this shot.

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Did you see the video?
Nobody made the cannon shot very often as it is now.
Not sure it needs to be harder. (But qualifying for subsequent mb's could increase difficulty. )

Yes, you're right, could be easier than it is now at very beginning (to get people hooked on game) and slowly increasing difficulty until extremely difficult at highest levels.

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Well then solution would be to make the hole in the left ship bigger.

Building on this idea, what if the hole in the targeted ship could be made of variable size so it would be large early on and get smaller and smaller deeper into the game. Another way to adjust difficulty.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spinal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-suggestions-thread-attitude-pls?tu=spinal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.