(Topic ID: 200624)

JJPOTC suggestions thread (+ attitude pls)

By spinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dnaman
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
20171013_203646 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Jersey Jack Pinball's Pirates of the Caribbean has reignited the community's passion for pinball!

JJP has always put passion for pinball first, and JJPOTC is no exception, yet they have always been open to listening to + and - criticism from the community. They know that we, the community, have their interests at heart - we want every pin they make to be the best it can possibly be.

A couple of examples of changes made because of community feedback:
- DI side art modified from guy holding cell phone into air to what it is now.
- redesign of playfield art for The Hobbit

Let's discuss in this thread things you like and don't like about the design, hardware, software and art with a +positive+ and +constructive+ attitude please.

=> Comments regarding pricing, release dates, the pinball market in general (Stern) are not welcome in this thread - please use another thread to discuss.

Again, this thread is to discuss what you like and what you think might be (reasonably) improved in the next few months. Comments from those who have seen and played the game in person would be invaluable but this does not mean that comments from those who have only seen vids and pics can't be just as insightful.

It is with the highest level of respect for JJP that I create this thread and not because I think there are large issues that require us to bash them so keep it constructive please.

With that in mind...

What did you like about JJPOTC and what do you think can be reasonably tweaked in order to improve the game before release?

#2 6 years ago

Have Eric sign the playfield under the apron.

Since it's his first pin, I think that would be fitting.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

Make sure to have some of the callouts have energy/excitement. Don't have all the callouts be monotone observations in a pirate accent.

#4 6 years ago

from what I could see on the empty CE playfield at Expo sitting next to the other complete games, the only real difference between CE playfield art and regular/LE art is the swap in of Davy Jones in the center from Jack Sparrow. That's it.

For an extra $3000 cost, I would highly recommend there be more significant changes. Perhaps tweaking the background colors (ala GoT Premium) would be a good place to start.

Other than that, I think the game overall is a slam-dunk home run. First and foremost, it was fun to shoot. Absolutely beautiful theme integration, and killer presentation. Easily JJP's best game so far.

Later,
EV

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Have Eric sign the playfield under the apron.
Since it's his first pin, I think that would be fitting.
LTG : )

Great idea!

A few others:

Gotta have the Yo-ho-ho song from the ride in the game someplace. Maybe high scores? End of game? Attract mode?

The game has a camera? How about photos of players who get high-scores but use the facial recognition tech to add in mustaches, hats, or whatever distinctions the character they picked has.

#6 6 years ago

Yes, Eric mentioned they are still looking for ways to incorporate camera into gameplay - please post more ideas here.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Yes, Eric mentioned they are still looking for ways to incorporate camera into gameplay - please post more ideas here.

Since the camera is using some sort of head tracking, how about a mode where the lanes light up based on where you are looking or leaning and you have to lean/look and shot at the same time to make the shots. Could be called "Choose Your Destiny" or something like that...

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

For games of two or more it would be cool if a picture is taken of both players and then wanted posters are created. When player 2 is up they would see a wanted poster with player 1's picture on it and then maybe a mode would be tied to it.

#9 6 years ago

Focus on game play and less on getting too cute on LCD with selfies and other photo booth crap plz.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from FlippyD:

Great idea!
A few others:
Gotta have the Yo-ho-ho song from the ride in the game someplace. Maybe high scores? End of game? Attract mode?
The game has a camera? How about photos of players who get high-scores but use the facial recognition tech to add in mustaches, hats, or whatever distinctions the character they picked has.

High scores at home would be cool, but on route youre either gonna get butts, boobs, dicks, or a combo of them all.

#11 6 years ago

My only suggestion: lower the price.

#12 6 years ago

Playfield looks so fantasticly detailed that, IMO, large regions of plastic for ramps with visible screws stands out.

If there were some pieces of colored plastic (or moulds) that covered up the edges of the ramps with colored screws that blended in or were even hidden somehow, I think it would greatly improve overall look. Again, it's only because rest of playfield and moulds look so fantastic that these areas now stand out IMO.

(Image credit from great article: http://thisweekinpinball.com/pirates-caribbean-deep-dive-likes-dislikes-code-features/)

Two images show regions I'm talking about and other two are to show incredible level of detail of other parts of playfield which highlists plainness of ramp areas. For 2nd image below, imagine small wave moulds that were screwed in above where screws are and along edges of ramp - would look very cool and would hide screws.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#13 6 years ago

Camera idea:

-Pirate Multiball (or a better name)-

Camera scans your face, and requires you to keep one eye closed in order to keep multiball going. If camera detects that both eyes are open, multiball ends.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Let's discuss in this thread things you like and don't like about the design, hardware, software and art with a +positive+ and +constructive+ attitude please.
=> Comments regarding pricing, release dates, the pinball market in general (Stern) are not welcome in this thread - please use another thread to discuss.

It looks great, except....It's too expensive!....and who knows when it's coming out considering the pinball market is in the crapper....

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Two images show regions I'm talking about and other two are to show incredible level of detail of other parts of playfield which highlists plainness of ramp areas.

These ramps are prototypes and they said production would be clear, so they might have other changes planned for those areas as well. The clear ramps will also allow you to see what is behind them so they won't stand out as much.

This happened twice in one game. First time was on the gap between the bottom ring and playfield. Would be nice if the gaps were tighter on disks. Hopefully they add spinning the disks to the ball search since you had to nudge the machine to free them and it wanted to go SDTM.

20171013_203646 (resized).jpg20171013_203646 (resized).jpg

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

These ramps are prototypes and they said production would be clear, so they might have other changes planned for those areas as well. The clear ramps will also allow you to see what is behind them so they won't stand out as much.

Thanks for your comment. Yes, clear ramps I'm Ok with, just talking about having colored plastics or moulded pieces along edges of ramps to hide screws and emphasize what the ramp signifies. For example, moulded *waves* along edges of water ramp and *rope* moulds along edges of ship ramp.

#17 6 years ago

Love the look of the game.

I'd like the spinners on the black pearl to be sails or something aside from the generic chrome checker. This may already be in the works, as parts are thrown together for prototypes.

#18 6 years ago

Yes those chrome checkered ones will be replaced with new LED spinners - yay to innovation

#19 6 years ago

I'd love to see photos associated with high scores. I can see it now: you get a high score and the screen shows "3...2...1...Say 'Arrrr!!'" *SNAP* The camera takes your photo and puts a pirate hat and eye patch on your picture, kinda like those ridiculous Instagram filters. How fun would that be for home use!!

-Doug

#20 6 years ago

This song must be included in the game(Davy Jones on the organ). I think it's better than the other version

Nice Davy Jones lines and scenes

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from halflip87:

I'd love to see photos associated with high scores. I can see it now: you get a high score and the screen shows "3...2...1...Say 'Arrrr!!'" *SNAP* The camera takes your photo and puts a pirate hat and eye patch on your picture, kinda like those ridiculous Instagram filters. How fun would that be for home use!!
-Doug

Would be cool, just need to add option for player to allow or disallow this feature at time they enter high score initials.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

High scores at home would be cool, but on route youre either gonna get butts, boobs, dicks, or a combo of them all.

Apparently you aren't aware of facial recognition software. If it doesn't find a face, it won't take a picture.

Using the camera for high score pics with pirate alterations would be great!

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Make sure to have some of the callouts have energy/excitement. Don't have all the callouts be monotone observations in a pirate accent.

I'm all about the super jackpot callout being extreme and a feeling of accomplishment as well. But I think they have the callouts already done from the actor who was in the movies. Not sure what they can do, but if they can put in the most exciting callouts for jackpots and supers, to me thats the best feeling in the game when you hear those callouts.

#24 6 years ago

Yes callouts already done but depending on how great the jackpot accomplished is they can amp up callouts by increasing volume and also adding other background sounds along with it, waves, crash sounds, monster roars etc. I agree, exciting callouts very important!

#25 6 years ago

I'm not sure but in the stream I thought I heard game sounds that sounded very slot machine like and repeated frequently.

Also it would be nice if there were an option to change those sounds- a choice.

Also some people may be sensitive to or distracted by the spinning disks - so a way to shut them off might be good.

#26 6 years ago

I know it kind of defeats the purpose of having the CE, but I wish my LE could have the Davey Jones playfield without the other extra body armor, side art, and topper

#27 6 years ago

I got to play JJPPOTC about 20 times at expo and love the game and where it's going. I think it would be really cool if you can collect the other characters and their special abilities as you play. Seeing how there are 20 or so of them and more than likely a few will stand out as the ones you will want to pick in the beginning, it would be cool if you could utilize more of the others as you progress through the game. Maybe it's a random character awarded at different gold collection levels, maybe you earn a character after completing a chapter, etc. Maybe the number of characters you have entering a multiball changes your ball save timer or number of balls in play. You chould have a really deep wizard level mode after collecting all of them! Everyone likes carving their initials on a game and a Character Champion could be a cool objective.

Also, I know the chapters were preliminary at Expo, but it might be useful to think about using the larger triangular inserts as more of an integral part in the chapter shots. I'm used to games when in modes/chapters using the largest inserts to guide the important mode shots. It was tricky sometimes locating the smaller flashing inserts to know which ones were key for the chapter I was in.

Just my $0.02. Game looks fantastic and may be the first JJP game in my collection.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from TRAMD:

Apparently you aren't aware of facial recognition software. If it doesn't find a face, it won't take a picture.
Using the camera for high score pics with pirate alterations would be great!

Apparently you arent aware of human ingenuity. Theyll get the butts and dicks up there...just you wait. LOL

Quoted from Vdrums:

Also some people may be sensitive to or distracted by the spinning disks - so a way to shut them off might be good.

No.

#29 6 years ago

I think a choice of Playfield upon ordering LE would be a nice feature.

Also I would like to see a lot of cut scenes from the movies. I owned a Hobbit LE for a time and I found it really exciting to get to the different mini wizard modes etc when the screen had cool different clips. However I found it to be too repetitive whenever you locked a ball getting the same Smaug video for each lock and multiball. So much content in these movies lets get some of those clips in there and randomize them a bit for a lot of variety.

Just want to say this game looks fantastic and its an exciting time to be a part of the pinball world because of reveals like this! Plus with all the competition the end result is good for consumers.

#30 6 years ago

More Leonardo Dicaprio please!

#31 6 years ago

Interviews with JJP said that if it doesn't recognize a face it doesn't display the pic. Maybe you could wear a mask but not another body part. The software I use for color grading has facial recognition so you can adjust eyes, lips, etc and actually builds a mask around each feature of the face and moves as the actor moves, so no, we won't have " butts and di$& up there."

#32 6 years ago

Wld love to see a mm type diverter on the right ramp so the ball dont enter the upper playfield every time and also from behind. Id like to earn access to the upper playfield and make it a special feature ...not a given.

#33 6 years ago

No faces on the playfield except for Davy Jones and other creatures like him. The faces just seem like they are peppered on the playfield like you are making a garden salad or pizza. They just seem out of place. It's the one thing that the Stern version was better than JJP's versioin in that Stern's version had no faces on the PF. I would rather see elements of the movie such as the Flying Dutchman, Black Pearl, pieces of eight, the gold coins, kraken or anything but faces. All those faces especially Johnny Depp's staring at me while I'm playing just creeps me out. Sub him for the cool looking Flying Dutchman. Davy Jones on the CE version is amazing!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

JJP has always put passion for pinball first, and JJPOTC is no exception, yet they have always been open to listening to + and - criticism from the community.

Honestly, I think JJP are beyond asking for suggestions now. After seeing POTC, I trust that they'll make the best game they can given any restrictions they have to work within. That game has a bunch of stuff in it that I don't think any of us would have been able to dream up.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Wld love to see a mm type diverter on the right ramp so the ball dont enter the upper playfield every time and also from behind. Id like to earn access to the upper playfield and make it a special feature ...not a given.

Fwiw, the upper playfield does have a vuk access in the back of it already. I want to say it is accessible by one of the skill shots (ball comes out of one of the spinners. Completely amazing what they pulled off, and it is held in with just one screw.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I got to play JJPPOTC about 20 times at expo and love the game and where it's going. I think it would be really cool if you can collect the other characters and their special abilities as you play. Seeing how there are 20 or so of them and more than likely a few will stand out as the ones you will want to pick in the beginning, it would be cool if you could utilize more of the others as you progress through the game. Maybe it's a random character awarded at different gold collection levels, maybe you earn a character after completing a chapter, etc. Maybe the number of characters you have entering a multiball changes your ball save timer or number of balls in play. You chould have a really deep wizard level mode after collecting all of them! Everyone likes carving their initials on a game and a Character Champion could be a cool objective.
Also, I know the chapters were preliminary at Expo, but it might be useful to think about using the larger triangular inserts as more of an integral part in the chapter shots. I'm used to games when in modes/chapters using the largest inserts to guide the important mode shots. It was tricky sometimes locating the smaller flashing inserts to know which ones were key for the chapter I was in.
Just my $0.02. Game looks fantastic and may be the first JJP game in my collection.

I really like this idea. Kind of like 'building' your crew.

I'd like the gold 'tie fighter button mashing' mode be revamped a little. I like the idea surrounding it, but button mashing wasn't quite a favorite thing to do in Star Wars every game. Maybe have gold become this built up treasure chest jackpot then somehow you cash it in. For instance, first time you spell gold, all switches will add 1 gold to the treasure chest for the next 10 secs. Spell gold again and it progresses to 5 gold per switch hit for 10 secs. Then have some shot become the cash in the treasure chest; lose your ball and gold resets back to 0. Other gold rules can still apply for tortuga mb.

#37 6 years ago

Would be great to have powder coated wire forms on the Collectors Edition. (Like on WOZECLE)

Also a nice touch would be a powder coated coin door on the Collectors Edition. Someone may have previously mentioned this but for 12.5k it should be done. Keep the jacket do the door. Better yet throw out the calculator and do both

Lots of folks have deposits down on the CE but they are refundable. Many could go south, based on perceived value for $12,500.00

#38 6 years ago

Here's an idea for the compass. Give the lock bar button the ability to toggle what your heart desires most, and the compass will point that direction. Make it pretty passive so you really don't have to toggle it all that much, or even have it so the player must set up their compass prior to plunging their ball with one of the choices being a default. but what I mean is have 3 possible choices; 1. Points, 2. Modes, 3. Multiball. So if you have the compass set on points the compass will always point towards the most points rewarding shot. Set it to modes and it'll point towards mode starts or mode shots. Multiball, and it points towards locks and mb starts.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperPinball:

The faces just seem like they are peppered on the playfield like you are making a garden salad or pizza.

#40 6 years ago

As a proud owner of 8 LE versions and 1 CE version on order. I have a few minor requests. I think they are good ideas perhaps pinside can agree or disagree with my idea's.

1. Please please have the Yo Ho Pirates life for me music in the pin somewhere.

2. On the CE the topper needs to have more in the background not just plain black also the front of the topper just underneath the bottle would be perfect for an engraved gold plaque that says the name of the game and the collectors #.

3. CE extra callout for collectors edition. (Exclusive) should be fairly easy and perhaps it would be a nice gesture for spending an extra 3K.

Great job designing this game. At first sight everything seems fantastic. Looks like this one will make its way to the top 5 for sure.

#41 6 years ago

Do right by your customers and finish the Hobbit code before releasing POTC (sorry not meaning to troll the thread)

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Pirate crew selfies. Draw pirate hats, moustaches, goatees on the selfie shots of the player in "gather crew" mode so they look like many different pirates.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

Do right by your customers and finish the Hobbit code before releasing POTC (sorry not meaning to troll the thread)

But you just couldn't resist

#44 6 years ago

I want to see JJP do something crazy and cool with the end of game animations. I don't care about QR codes, but do something fun.

When I play a two player game, I want to beat the other person. If the game is a slaughter, just do things normally. However if the scores of the two players are within a percentage of each other, have the winning players score force the losing players score to walk the plank splashing off the bottom of the screen. Then the winning score says "Argghg" and floats off with the gold or whatever booty. Or becomes the Pirate King, or gets the rum.

The JJP platform has the power to do stuff like this. Just insane details that make winning a competition fun... because everyone wants to beat their friends at pinball

#45 6 years ago

Was originally in on a CE but couldn’t make the extras above LE add up to 3k more value, would love to see an upgrade to the CE topper option for the LE.

#46 6 years ago

How about use the camera feature for a sword fight like the scratch off lottery on DI? Or use the camera to grab gold as an alternative to the button.

Maybe the Bluetooth could be used by an opponent to rock the ship or spin the map?

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

That's an interesting idea. Initially starting out with the characters from Curse of the Black Pearl, and having "unlockable" characters that are initially greyed out, that unlock as you progress through the Mini Wizard Modes or hit certain High Score Thresholds, or successfully collect that characters Pieces of Eight item. From an operator standpoint, it would encourage repeat game play (perhaps the "Daily Unlockables" reset daily like Daily High Scores and Extra Game thresholds).

#48 6 years ago

When those images were leaked before we saw gameplay..I was hoping the upper playfield would tilt up to expose a u-turn piece to make the right ramp have a fast return.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from RavenBlackthorn:

That's an interesting idea. Initially starting out with the characters from Curse of the Black Pearl, and having "unlockable" characters that are initially greyed out, that unlock as you progress through the Mini Wizard Modes or hit certain High Score Thresholds, or successfully collect that characters Pieces of Eight item. From an operator standpoint, it would encourage repeat game play (perhaps the "Daily Unlockables" reset daily like Daily High Scores and Extra Game thresholds).

Ok that is a very interesting idea! Maybe a step further where if you sync your phone you can "save how many characters you unlocked"? Have an option when starting the game and loading your unlocked characters you have achieved already. Maybe have the option to only allow characters you unlocked from that particular location (or machine) or any JJPPOTC machine. Of course that would give the advantage to machine owners too, but I can totally see that encouraging reoccurring players.

#50 6 years ago

I like the idea of powder coating the wire forms on the CE and LE...maybe different colors for each version? I think they help the game look more refined.
Idea for the camera...have the pirate monkey “attack” your flippers where you’d lose control of them and you need to “shoo” him away like the lotto scratch off from DI

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-suggestions-thread-attitude-pls?hl=erak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.