(Topic ID: 200624)

JJPOTC suggestions thread (+ attitude pls)

By spinal

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by dnaman
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
20171013_203646 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago

Has the LE topper been shown yet? Anybody have a pic of it?

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Has the LE topper been shown yet? Anybody have a pic of it?

Who needs an image when you can have video

#53 1 year ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Who needs an image when you can have video
» YouTube video

I believe he was referring to the LE topper and not the CE topper. The feature matrix lists out a laser etched topper for the LE. I'm curious as to what it will look like as well.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from T-800:

I believe he was referring to the LE topper and not the CE topper. The feature matrix lists out a laser etched topper for the LE. I'm curious as to what it will look like as well.

Yeah, Le version. I wish I could get the CE machine, but I'm going Le. Hoping the topper is cool.

#55 1 year ago

Sway complexity of upper playfield ship:

It looks like ship only rotates from side to side around one rotation point which is OK (I'm guessing two dimensional swaying was not worth the effort although would have been cool).

Regarding this swaying motion, I have seen that it has different rates of sway depending on gameplay and Eric mentioned in release vid that he intends to have more sway occurring than what is seen now. Naturally these sways should be based on sine waves and not on linear side-to-side motions.

My thoughts:

Cannon shot from ship should be more difficult to make the further you get into the game. Early and easier modes have little sway or more predictable sway so shot is easier. Highest levels (wizard modes etc) should require almost wizard levels of skill to succeed at this cannon shot. I say this as it is very easy to release a game where after playing only a few games, most people will get the shot a high percentage of the time and this would be a shame as it would devalue the importance of that shot in the game.

Sway action should not just increase in speed as a way to make shot more difficult but should incorporate more complex motions like the following:

a) Lowest levels only increase speed of sway to make shot more difficult (single sine wave action - very predictable).

b) Intermediate levels add multiple sine waves of differing frequency to make sway more difficult to predict. Sine waves are low-integer multiples of other waves so that they line up every few waves (so they are ultimately still predictable with practice). So you might have one sine wave at frequency x and the other at 0.5x for example (then 1/3, 1/4, 2/3 etc).

c) Higher levels may incorporate 3 or more sine wave making it seem almost random but still not random with enough practice (integer multiples again like 1:2:3, 1:2:4 etc.). Even higher levels can then incorporate non-integer multiples of sway frequency so would seem random. And ultimately at highest wizard levels, incorporate some random sine frequencies to get crazy sway and make it very difficult and almost unpredictable (just like what it would seem like during crazy storm on ocean).

((d)) Crazy wish if possible, start to incorporate 2d waves at highest levels so ship can sway forward and back as well as side to side but I understand this is probably too difficult and it's too late to change hardware.

I should add that amplitude of wave should also be scaled up as difficulty increases (so maximum sway occurs at highest levels of course).

Here is 2D simulation using 5 sine waves:

Also, although most sways should be generated by sine waves to model how real waves work, during special modes it would be cool to break this with violent shaking or other motions occasionally during a Kraken attack or whatever.

In any case, in plain English, what I'm saying is that it would be cool to make the ship shot an increasingly difficult shot to make depending on game level and at highest wizard level should be at least as hard as hole-in-one shot in No Good Gophers. Most importantly to make the ship **a minigame-like game** that requires development of skills in and of itself - you have to play a lot to get better at this shot.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from spinal:

It looks like ship only rotates from side to side around one rotation point which is OK (I'm guessing two dimensional swaying was not worth the effort although would have been cool).
Regarding this swaying motion, I have seen that it has different rates of sway depending on gameplay and Eric mentioned in release vid that he intends to have more sway occurring than what is seen now. Naturally these sways should be based on sine waves and not on linear side-to-side motions.
My thoughts:
Cannon shot from ship should be more difficult to make the further you get into the game. Early and easier modes have little sway or more predictable sway so shot is easier. Highest levels (wizard modes etc) should require almost wizard levels of skill to succeed at this cannon shot. I say this as it is very easy to release a game where after playing only a few games, most people will get the shot a high percentage of the time and this would be a shame as it would devalue the importance of that shot in the game.
Sway action should not just increase in speed as a way to make shot more difficult but should incorporate more complex motions like the following:
a) Lowest levels only increase speed of sway to make shot more difficult (single sine wave action - very predictable).
b) Intermediate levels add multiple sine waves of differing frequency to make sway more difficult to predict. Sine waves are low-integer multiples of other waves so that they line up every few waves (so they are ultimately still predictable with practice). So you might have one sine wave at frequency x and the other at 0.5x for example (then 1/3, 1/4, 2/3 etc).
c) Higher levels may incorporate 3 or more sine wave making it seem almost random but still not random with enough practice (integer multiples again like 1:2:3, 1:2:4 etc.). Even higher levels can then incorporate non-integer multiples of sway frequency so would seem random. And ultimately at highest wizard levels, incorporate some random sine frequencies to get crazy sway and make it very difficult and almost unpredictable (just like what it would seem like during crazy storm on ocean).
((d)) Crazy wish if possible, start to incorporate 2d waves at highest levels so ship can sway forward and back as well as side to side but I understand this is probably too difficult and it's too late to change hardware.
In any case, in plain English, what I'm saying is that it would be cool to make the ship shot an increasingly difficult shot to make depending on game level and at highest wizard level should be at least as hard as hole-in-one shot in No Good Gophers. Most importantly to make the ship **a minigame-like game** that requires development of skills in and of itself - you have to play a lot to get better at this shot.

Did you see the video?

Nobody made the cannon shot very often as it is now.

Not sure it needs to be harder. (But qualifying for subsequent mb's could increase difficulty. )

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

Did you see the video?
Nobody made the cannon shot very often as it is now.
Not sure it needs to be harder. (But qualifying for subsequent mb's could increase difficulty. )

Yes, you're right, could be easier than it is now at very beginning (to get people hooked on game) and slowly increasing difficulty until extremely difficult at highest levels.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from spinal:

In any case, in plain English, what I'm saying is that it would be cool to make the ship shot an increasingly difficult shot to make depending on game level and at highest wizard level should be at least as hard as hole-in-one shot in No Good Gophers.

When I played it nobody made the shot which drops the ball into the cannon. The location on the back left along with the targets on the left wall make it difficult to backhand. It was frustrating and probably what I disliked the most about the game, however I'm sure it's satisfying once you make it. The hole in one shot is much easier to make on NGG.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from spinal:

Some great ideas in this post.

The more realistic the swaying of the boat looks the better. It's the primary toy on the game and needs to exceed our expectations.

But it also needs amazing sound effects to complete the illusion. When a ball is on the black pearl the sound effects should make the player feel like they're really on a creaking, hulking, floating wooden fortress! - There should be lots of sub bass rattling the glass too

#60 1 year ago

if camera does not detect your face it displays LTG's mug by default. Think of it as an Easter egg or a warning to young thugs.

#61 1 year ago

Can anyone confirm that it uses the actual music from the movies? If not, that has to be suggestion #1, #2, #3, #4, #5...

#62 1 year ago
Quoted from BoJo:

When I played it nobody made the shot which drops the ball into the cannon. The location on the back left along with the targets on the left wall make it difficult to backhand. It was frustrating and probably what I disliked the most about the game, however I'm sure it's satisfying once you make it. The hole in one shot is much easier to make on NGG.

...And on rare occasion when the player was actually able to fire the cannon, they missed.

If a successful cannon shot is less frequent than NGG's hole in one, that might be a problem.

#63 1 year ago
Quoted from RTS:

...And on rare occasion when the player was actually able to fire the cannon, they missed.
If a successful cannon shot is less frequent than NGG's hole in one, that might be a problem.

Well then solution would be to make the hole in the left ship bigger.

#64 1 year ago

Well then solution would be to make the hole in the left ship bigger.

Building on this idea, what if the hole in the targeted ship could be made of variable size so it would be large early on and get smaller and smaller deeper into the game. Another way to adjust difficulty.

image (resized).jpeg

#65 1 year ago
Quoted from spinal:

Building on this idea, what if the hole in the targeted ship could be made of variable size so it would be large early on and get smaller and smaller deeper into the game. Another way to adjust difficulty.

While I like this idea, implementation alone would probably push the release back.

#66 1 year ago

i read David Thiel is doing the soundtrack (brilliant by the way!) so although there will not be actual music from the movies, I beleive it will sound just as good as the movie soundtrack. He's got quite an impressive repertoire.

Quoted from jcoble:

Can anyone confirm that it uses the actual music from the movies? If not, that has to be suggestion #1, #2, #3, #4, #5...

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

He's got quite an impressive repertoire.

He sure won't disappoint.

LTG : )

#68 1 year ago
Quoted from jcoble:

Can anyone confirm that it uses the actual music from the movies?

We were actively disallowed to use movie music.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from pinball_keefer:

We were actively disallowed to use movie music.

Will JJP be able to incorporate the "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a Pirate's Life for Me" theme from the Disney ride in some fashion (e.g., optional attract mode, end of game, etc.)?

#70 1 year ago

While I like this idea, implementation alone would probably push the release back.

Not in this case, EMinem is the designer. I've heard he gets things done too, so the remaining time before launch should be sufficient.

#71 1 year ago

Idea for compass - allow compass to remain on automatically with no button push required. The idea is to provide a hint where to shoot, the need to push a button every 20 seconds could be eliminated, while providing intended info. This isn't Lost, where the dharma initiative requires the timer to be reset every so often, into perpetuity. Leave the compass on.

To be more integrated, program the compass to respond by spinning, whenever the shaker is triggered. Kind of like if you laid the compass down on the ship deck, so when the ship moves, or cannons fire etc. the compass spins right or left before returning to steady pointing. Another good reason to allow the compass to react to its environment is because Sparrow's compass often spun around and even pointed to incorrect direction. Enhancing the compass might be one of the best features ever introduced into pinball, and hopefully is patented.

#72 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

compass might be one of the best features ever introduced into pinball.

I also think it's an ingenious idea that clearly shows the amount of brainstorming they did when it comes to theme integration and making pinball more accessible to casual players.

1 week later
#73 1 year ago

Suggestion: give players a ‘random’ option when selecting a character.

#74 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Suggestion: give players a ‘random’ option when selecting a character.

I would go so far as to make "random" the default, and selection something you need to _earn_. I have a very bad thought about players on location _very carefully_ reading all 20-odd descriptions before (eventually) choosing one.

4 months later
#75 1 year ago
Quoted from JWJr:

I would go so far as to make "random" the default, and selection something you need to earn_. I have a very bad thought about players on location very carefully_ reading all 20-odd descriptions before (eventually) choosing one.

random by default, and an option to enable a timer for owner/operator. At home I am ok with non-timed but for league or on location, timer enabled!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 279.95
$ 87.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Decals
Magical Productions
$ 279.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Plastics
Magical Productions
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Magical Productions
$ 189.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside