0702191943a (resized).jpg
0702191943b (resized).jpg
0702191944 (resized).jpg
170CA9B1-FEAF-4479-9509-56A69001A877 (resized).jpeg
DecalsEnvelope (resized).jpg
Decals (resized).jpg
Door Decal2 (resized).jpg
29A0AAB7-635C-4408-95D3-6B29B1499A8B (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gumnut01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Suggestions - Make it a window or a door. Add flickering light behind it either connected to the lanterns on the ship or to existing 12v spots.

I think windows. The spinners look like corridors on either side

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Mayboyz:

Looks great.
I’m interested in one for my game.

You gonna get soooo rich Harry!!!

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Great job for trying this Harry! How about using one side of the windows from the pic I posted. Have horizontal boards running behind the two targets with the same type of window above each target. I would think a RGB light that flickers could be mounted behind it with a power cord running down the back and using a splitter off of one of the spots or backlight

Building on yours and Harry’s awesome idea, what about the spinners? I’ve always looked at them as being out of place. I mean I know they’re colourful and they flash when hit, but I’ve always wondered how they represent raising the sails.

Could new decals be used to represent doors? Then they could fit with the window idea? They would still need to have that reflective quality for spinning.

Or decals which show pirates pushing at the spokes of a large horizontal wheel with the axle of the wheel being shown on your new piece with flickering windows behind?

Pretty dumb idea I guess. Just spit balling.

#11 4 years ago

Yes on the decals! I couldn't put my finger on what was still wrong. I was trying to conver them up with more structure but just making them fit in would do it. I'll see about getting them printed

Do your magic Harry!

#20 4 years ago

Considering printing stickers to go on the spinners to mesh with this cover. Maybe something like this, but it will probably be modified to fit the look of the plastic piece. Ignore the steering wheel.[quoted image][quoted image]

It looks great... Just wondering if it looks a bit too modern with the porthole. Don't know if pirates had these. I'm being reaaaaallly picky here. And it definitely looks like a door.

Here is an image I found. Just make sure you have copyright!!

old-tall-ship-on-the-deck1 (resized).jpgold-tall-ship-on-the-deck1 (resized).jpg
#21 4 years ago

You could waste so much time searching, I think what you have is awesome.... Just go with it!

#26 4 years ago

Ok, here is the sticker for the spinner. It's a door with lanterns on either side. The style of door matches the window that will be in the 3D center piece. Let me know if you see any issues or have any thoughts.[quoted image]

Luuuuvvvvvvvv it. Got the wife’s approval to.

#28 4 years ago

Early prototype[quoted image]

Ok so it matches the doors. Thought it might be a smaller window set higher up, but this is cool. Especially if it is to be fully lit!!

#29 4 years ago

Pic of it all installed? Wink wink!!!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

The high windows are still a possibility. I’m helping harryhoudini with this project, but unfortunately I don’t have access to a POTC so it’s going to take a bit of back and forth to figure out what is going to be best. Once this makes it over to him we’ll have a better sense of where to go next.
Hopefully we can come up with something interesting!

I think if you have higher up window, you need two windows. A truncated window that wide might look a bit weird and a smaller arched window higher up may not have as much impact. Up to you guys, I think what you have looks great! Just get Harry to drop his machine over, you’ll love it!!

#39 4 years ago

I'll probably print enough for 50 sets. It will be on a highly durable outdoor sticker material with a matte UV coating. I think that will make it look somewhat like the JJP original decals in the rest of the game.

Yep. Like the new doors and good idea about the sticker durability. It’s going to be hit a lot. Can you please put me down for a preorder for the whole kit. Very excited.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Not Devil's Triangle related, but I stumbled upon this site with some interesting pirate artwork FWIW:
https://bob-kehl.squarespace.com/
A few examples:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Booty!!!

#69 4 years ago

Ok, here are two options. Votes? I'll probably lighten both of them up to be more visible. I can't find a better "rocks" picture, let me know if you can.[quoted image][quoted image]

I like the skull and cross bones. If you don’t get in trouble by another modder, maybe a warning sign? Something about Dead Men.....

#73 4 years ago

Another one with the rocks from tuna_delight[quoted image]

Lovely images but will be lost down there. Too small.

Planks of wood. Skull and crossbones. Underneath “Yea be Warned!”

It would be great to have a cautionary message to tell pirates to turn back.

Or the skull and crossbones from the movie that you showed. Nice and simple. Ties in with your objective.
You might get into copyright trouble though.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Agree. Spinner graphics should be simple and easily understandable. The POTC 5 skull and crossbones are cool in themselves - just wish there was a nice cave option as the game already has a ton of the skull and crossbones.
Short of a talented person creating something though, our choices seem limited.

The cave is already there for us lucky LE and CE owners. So planks of wood with “Ye be Warned” would look awesome. Would also not repeat what a very talented modder has already created. But otherwise the dead man tell no tales skull would look great too.

#79 4 years ago

Here you go
1C0701AC-5659-4AAB-B9CB-50498DE5FAE6 (resized).jpeg1C0701AC-5659-4AAB-B9CB-50498DE5FAE6 (resized).jpeg

https://images.app.goo.gl/htxjeuJNMV6cvQEy7

I don’t think there is any copyright.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

As this is the sign that hung from the rocks I think this is the best way to go for the spinner personally. Even if you had to crop it the spinner is so small I suspect it would still look great and appropriate for the area. Make it happen!![quoted image]

But your sign only says

“Dead men tell no tales”

So I thought this sign would be telling pirates to keep out. Anyway if signs a no go, skull and crossbones please. You have finalised the design haven’t you Harry? Unless you want me to have a go?

#93 4 years ago

3 Sticker designs on order, designs done. I would consider another one if people are interested and someone does a pro design, but I'll probably end up with a bunch of unsold stickers

No! You have done enough Harry! Go rest your weary feat and fingers. Really appreciate a stellar job. I don't care what the others say about you, I think you're a top bloke!!

Just hope I get a kit from you......

#95 4 years ago

Can I make a suggestion?

Harry send all the stickers you make as a kit to those who order. Don't send crossbones to one and rocks to another. Just send all variations as part of the order and price accordingly. You should not be left out of pocket nor with all these spare stickers. If we have to pay for an additional sticker that we do not use, then so be it.

You should be rewarded for this not penalised.

I hope everyone here agrees.

#99 4 years ago

If you want to light up the new window, you can sacrifice the existing RGB leds on top of the optos. Easiest solution. Is a sacrifice though. Then again, not a light that really does much. It may actually be easier to see the spinner visual cue through this new window rather than a faint light behind the spinners. Just need to screw them inside the new plastic. Probably behind front wall under window pointing back.

029D11D9-ED87-47AC-96DF-6651869C3553 (resized).jpeg029D11D9-ED87-47AC-96DF-6651869C3553 (resized).jpeg
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

If you want to light up the new window, you can sacrifice the existing RGB leds on top of the optos. Easiest solution. Is a sacrifice though. Then again, not a light that really does much. It may actually be easier to see the spinner visual cue through this new window rather than a faint light behind the spinners. Just need to screw them inside the new plastic. Probably behind front wall under window pointing back.[quoted image]

Nope. Dumb idea. These LEDs cause the spinners to flash as they go around. Also used on the Triangle. Please ignore go back to your original idea.

#114 4 years ago

Look great Harry. I didn’t mind the letters... but happy either way!

#128 4 years ago

Yeah you need the ramrod to show the cannon is being loaded as opposed to fired. Do your decals go over the rivet or do you punch a hole? Just wondering if it would wear.

#130 4 years ago

Maybe this is it...[quoted image]

Now all you need is a picture of a lit fuse on the door. Just kidding!

Seriously you are leaving your mark all over these machines. In years to come people will ask “Do you have the Harry Edition of Pirates or just the Collectors?”

#165 4 years ago

Is that the final plastic in the middle between the spinners? Can you make sure there is enough clearance for the spinners? Thanks!

#169 4 years ago

I was thinking this for the "PIRATE" standup (to the left of the chest). I don't know what is more generic "Pirate" .. skull and crossbones way overused already and it's a narrow target. This strikes me as too "Jack" but I don't know what else to use.[quoted image]

You’ll get my mum excited with that image!!

Too large for that small spot. Skull and crossbones or pirate hat or parrot? If you say pirate parrot pirate parrot 10 times it’s sort of similar!

#170 4 years ago

Crossed cutlasses or cutlass and flint lock. But I think the parrot would be fun.

#174 4 years ago

Everyone please sit down. Hold on to something. Had an epic delivery today.[quoted image]

Looks great Harry!

#180 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Both me and harry were surprised at how well it fit for a first prototype! Kudos to him for good dimensions for me to work with! Now just need to add the “glass” and the LEDs.
Once painted I think it will look excellent. I’m excited and I haven’t even seen or played POTC haha.

Excellent work. And great measuring Harry. Even covers up the metal bars on the side. Will look very piratey!

#188 4 years ago

Oh and two more of the stickers are on the way with the last 3 being produced right now. Should have them all within a week or so.
All tests of the stand-up filler piece seem great. I don't even think there are any adjustments needed. I've played with it on for several days. I am going to test lighting and some sort of window material next, then paint. I'll talk with geteos on production time and such, but we should be ready to start rolling this out. Once we figure out costs and I get a painted prototype I'll post the store so everyone can start ordering.

The other door could look good. I must admit the first door looked a bit lost on the spinner. Thank you for all the effort you have put in this Harry. Great attention for detail.

#191 4 years ago

I think the light is great. I was thinking a yellowish light to imitate lantern light. The flicker is spot on. Rather than the paper is some really whorlly semi translucent plastic viable to look like old glass. Could be really difficult to do. Paper may be the best option.

I notice the light is from the top so can easily attach to the bolts up the top. Good one.

Lastly paint looks great.

#193 4 years ago

It’s trivky because you don’t want it to be too see through or you see the posts. Then again could something be stuck to the posts to make them look piratey or dress the posts up with a sleeve to look like wood. You could put signs on them. OR have a printed room art that sits in front of the posts so it looks like a cabin!! The flickering light would light up said cabin.

#195 4 years ago

There really isn't all that much room there. I need to test it with the light on the machine because I am fairly sure you'll see some shadows. But I think the "window" with the flickering light is what I am going to send out and people can choose to do what they want. Just need to decide on what the window material is going to be. I am trying to have it more clear/dark than white.
I have some plastic here for the galaxy starmap mod I am doing so I think I'll cut a piece of that and do some spray paint testing. Might be able to create something.

You’re right about before the posts. But a bit of card with printed cabin behind the posts but in front of the wires will be something easy I can add or any pinsider can add. This will hide the wires. The posts will just look like supports inside the cabin. Guess it all depends how transparent your glass is.

#197 4 years ago

Yup.. and ideally it will be replaceable so you can add anything you want there.

Could put a pirate in their undies! Or 2 pirates..... ahem!

#199 4 years ago

Here is a plastic test I did. Some spray paint and a piece of plastic. I think this could work well, I need to see if I have some blue in the shop but a combination of blue, black and gold probably makes a nice effect. This test is some gold on one part and then I flip it around and it's bronze with red sparkle mixed in.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/jKtEwQasHfzrHqgE8

I think that looks fantastic! Stop there Harry. You nailed it.

#211 4 years ago

Welp, I think we're looking good! I am going to play with the window "glass" a bit and the painted color (needs to be a bit lighter) but this is pretty much what it will look like.
Video in action: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cR8i1ebqkiRxXbEq5[quoted image]

Turns an ugly part of the game into a real feature! New door looks much better. Can’t wait!!!

#235 4 years ago

I've been working on the instructions for install. Overly detailed but only a 10 minute install and 2 nuts to remove.
https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/black-pearl-stand-up-window-filler-install-instructions
If you have any suggestions or comments, feel free. I'm working on a video.

Looks good Harry.

So you are using 12v?

#241 4 years ago

Yup, no need for a converter (buck board) to modify ... the light runs off 12v directly. Quick and easy.

Are you going to allow the servo for the chest to piggy back into this or different circuit?

#243 4 years ago

Updated door spinner decals are here. You get 4 of each type.[quoted image]

Nice bedspread!!
Shaggy!

#251 4 years ago

Ohhhh... Light brown is unpainted. They are all being painted to match the Pearl.

Damn! I wanted mine in the baby poo brown!!

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Haha, yea I had to use a filament that wasn’t too dark since we were painting it. Figured brown was the closest. The painted colour is a blend of dark brown and blue. Might throw in a spec of silver too. Painting them all today!

Nice!!

#257 4 years ago

British particle physicist

The ladies do like Brian.

For all those that want a laugh listen to poor Brian try to explain human impact on Climate Change to one of Australia’s smartest politicians.

#259 4 years ago

Did not watch but sent link to wife, we'll see what she has to say
I've heard enough of his sexy, dreamlike voice for my life!

Its more seeing him flustered when dealing with obstinate people

1 week later
#272 4 years ago

We just got done packing 10 up for shipment tomorrow. Shipping most of them this week!

One thing I noticed with removing the black pearl and reinstalling is the JJP supplied opto shield really made it tricky to get the black pearl back on. The VUK was digging into it. Have you been able to remove the pearl and reinstall with this new mod?

#276 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Also better than digging into those wires...
But yeah, the VUK removal is amazing! Wish I knew about it the first two times I removed the Pearl.

Ok thanks. Not sure how to reach those 3 screws. Pearl seems to be in the way. Will try this next time.

Thanks for the advice.

#279 4 years ago

First you get yourself a gyroscopic electric screwdriver:
amazon.com link »
Then you get a nice extension
amazon.com link »
Then you get some magnetic bits
amazon.com link »
And a magnetic addon for your sockets
amazon.com link »
Some socket adapters
amazon.com link »
Magnetic phillips
amazon.com link »
And might as well get a magnetizer
amazon.com link »
I assume you have sockets...
That should just about do it.

Wow. Lots of good stuff. Thanks Harry. I just use hand for everything on pinball. Got a socket set with extensions, but not the magnetised sockets. Also got magnetised manual screwdriver set. I use my electric screwdriver for creating havoc elsewhere around the house. I think I will get the magnetic bits and the addon for the sockets. Thanks for sharing.

1 week later
#287 4 years ago

Thanks Glad you like it, glad it all worked out!

Looks complete. Like it was always meant to be there. First time I’ve seen it complete with the decals.

Stellar job.

Quoted from BladeFury:

What a home run Harry! Thx man![quoted image]

Thanks for posting Mr Fury! Great to see, can’t wait until mine arrives.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gumnut01.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpotc-black-pearl-center-spinner-stand-up-target-cover-?tu=gumnut01 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.