8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 INITIAL CHECK: Install 2 piece MAP Cliffy Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #4 INITIAL CHECK: Remove all shipping foam? Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Auto launch issue fix Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #7 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Chest rejecting most shots fix Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #12 TECH: SWITCHES. [Switch name] is not working Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #13 TECH: SWITCHES. Game reports stuck MAP targets Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #14 TECH: SWITCHES. Game reports stuck GOLD targets Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #35 INITIAL CHECK: Installing Mystery Hole Cliffy Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #47 TECH: RAMPS. Stop right ramp decal from tearing Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #100 TECH: TILT. Tilt is too active/sensitive Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider galooch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1949 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Wow I dont remember having to bend anything. whole arm swivels. Loosen adjust arm coming off red square to middle of the loop wall and cannon door wall. Tighten and done. I actually dont even remember having to loosen anything just swiveled it and done

I think I'm dense with this cannon door thing. I think I'm seeing similar issues but for some reason, I'm not sure. How do I know if the door is working properly? My only clue is that my ball sometimes squeezes under it before "light fuse" is lit and the ball sort of tumbles out of the cannon. Obviously, that can't be right. My door "sort of" has three positions. All the way up (which seems to work most of the time it should, when "light fuse" is lit), partway closed (which is where it lives the majority of my games and when the ball can squeeze under it or get stuck for a moment), and all the way down (which I rarely, if ever see). Is the cannon door supposed to have that full range of motion or should it be in that half-way state? Once I wrap my head around that, I can better piece together what parts I'm supposed to swivel/bend etc.

#1954 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I spent a bunch of time on the arm that connects the coil to the door spring trying to slightly bend it in different spots and different amounts.

Thanks for that confirmation. Judging by your picture, it looks like that arm ended up bent further down and to the right (towards the Marty lane). Is that right? And by bending it that way you keep that spring loop on the front edge of that arm? Do you think spring location is the key?

#1975 4 years ago

Thank you again to all you have taken the time to respond and provide pictures to help with my cannon door. Super helpful! I think I have improved things but I have a few more tweaks to make. It isn't consistent enough yet. However, I now have a few other items that cropped up:

1. The left spinner on the BP is no longer spinning. I found that when I put back the top portion after tweaking the cannon door, it sits on top of the left side of the spinner. A quick search revealed this post from a few months ago (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/17#post-4984403) where joseph5185 successfully was able to put that piece back on at different angles. I have been trying to find that angle (not tightening the right-most bolt all the way too), but it consistently slides down and pins the spinner. Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so, how did you solve it? I really don't remember that part of the BP sitting crooked before taking it off.

2. It appears that I have my first switch issues. The Bonus (X) and Load switch on the BP are no longer registering. A quick inspection on the left side of the BP and I can see that all wires are firmly still attached. What else should I check? I'm hoping something simple that won't require me to remove the BP (haven't had to do it yet). I have not ordered the BP protector from Pinball Life yet and I'm wondering if a ball ricocheted and did some damage. Has anyone had those two switches go out at the same time?

Thanks.

IMG_2196 (resized).JPGIMG_2196 (resized).JPG
1 month later
#2225 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Any good or bad reviews on the Titan silicone washers?

I just put them on so we'll see the long term effects, but I agree with luckymoey in that they compress very nicely with fear of digging into the playfield and they are invisible. I put them on all the star posts and thinner posts that I could get to while I had the BP off recently. I also put them on all the posts under the BP ramp which is where I have started to see the worst pooling.

#2228 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Did you install them on these posts under the chest? If so, how difficult was it to remove it? Btw, Did you mean to say “without fear of digging into the playfield”?
[quoted image]

Yup...definitely meant to say "without" fear. I did put them under those two posts on the left side of the Star Map area and it wasn't bad at all. I wanted to replace the rubber there anyway. The key for me was just making sure that when I loosened the nuts, the posts themselves did not come loose and have the pressure of the rubber pulling them together. I was able to angle the chest up just enough to take off that bracket without taking anything else off.

4 months later
#2694 4 years ago
Quoted from Outlanes:

Has anyone had the left scoop at the depths too weak to return the ball all of a sudden?

I have only seen that happen during multiball when there are two in there at once. It sometimes takes a few tries before it makes it way out.

3 weeks later
#2805 4 years ago

So this morning I needed to move my machine for the first time (only about 10-12 feet) but we did need to fold down the backbox. I thought I was careful enough but when I turned it back on I found this error on the screen:

"Trough error: All optos active. Check connectors, switches, and 12V supply to playfield."

That seems like a big range of potential issues. Any guidance on where I should specifically start or look for?

IMG_2893 (resized).JPGIMG_2893 (resized).JPG
#2807 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Easy I believe. Most had this issue on delivery. The 3 plugs right side lower board likely got pulled from there socket as they installed far to many zip ties on that bundle. My guess is your pins will be bent now but no worries. Good luck.

Thanks Yelobird...sorry to be a noob but could you provide a few more specifics on which three plugs? I scoured the entire trough area and all around but could seem to locate which ones you might be referring to.

#2809 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

It’s the board right side in the back box behind the monitor. No issues below the Playfield. Several including myself posted pics in the POTC owners thread. Consider looking at the picture gallery in that thread. You got this!

Ahhh...thanks! Having a look now. Fingers crossed

#2810 4 years ago

Thank you Yelobird! That did the trick and we are back in business!

This is seriously why Pinside is the best community. For a new pinball owner like myself, you guys are so great! Thank you again for taking time to help other folks, no matter how simple. I hope I can do the same for others as I keep learning.

1 month later
#2935 3 years ago

While installing the chest mod (which is great for those still on the fence about getting it) and cleaning the playfield, I noticed that my map hole cliffy is coming up a bit along with some of the mylar. Any simple remedies on how to get it to stick back down?

IMG_2954 (resized).JPGIMG_2954 (resized).JPG
#2940 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

This same exact thing just happened on mine. I noticed it when I removed the Pearl last week to tape the opto next to the Cliffy. It does seem to be the mylar underneath causing the issue. I removed the cliffy and snipped the mylar some more. Then I reshaped a slight bend that had formed in the tab on the cliffy that sits in the map hole. That bend was causing the cliffy to not lay flat when I set it back down for a test fit. Once I got the cliffy shaped to lay flat again I put thin (but very sticky) double sided tape on the underside of the cliffy all along the front and side edges of it. I just used an x-acto blade to trim the tape around the edges of the cliffy. It worked great so it's laying completely flat and secure again.

Thanks. I think I'll give that a try soon. When you took the cliffy and mylar off, did it peel any of the artwork with it? Is there a best practice to safely remove mylar?

1 month later
#3079 3 years ago

While playing tonight I noticed one of the rubber pads (same ones found on the tortuga bracket and the man overboard area) had fallen off and was laying near the depths.

Can anyone tell me where that rubber pad on the left side goes?

1 week later
#3093 3 years ago

Bumping this question...I recently found one of those cabinet rubber stoppers on my playfield in front of the depths. Could anyone have a look and let me know where it might go? Thanks!

#3098 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Check the back of the Tortuga scoop and the Man Overboard area, both of which should have one.

Thanks but no luck. I checked and both are still present and accounted for. Do you have any on the left side behind the depths or perhaps it can from the plastics up the port royal shot (plastics under the dauntless)? I’m stumped.

1 year later
#3401 2 years ago

I just realized I posted this in the owners thread by mistake when I meant to post here…

So a recent problem just appeared and I need a little help knowing where to look. It seems my right flipper on the upper playfield will stop working after a few minutes of gameplay. When looking at the switch test and comparing it to when the Upper Playfield Left Flipper is engaged, it looks like The Upper Playfield Right Flipper EOS (D05) is not triggering. Since it works for a bit and then dies, I’m not sure what I should be looking for. No other issues with the machine and it has been pretty bulletproof for quite a while. Thanks in advance!

BFF75D1B-B1D7-4D6D-A24E-449192107777 (resized).jpegBFF75D1B-B1D7-4D6D-A24E-449192107777 (resized).jpegFA2DCE5D-B408-4C19-AD06-BB83CA03479B (resized).jpegFA2DCE5D-B408-4C19-AD06-BB83CA03479B (resized).jpeg
#3403 2 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

The End of Stroke (EOS) switch is an important part of nearly every flipper assembly ever made. There should be a small leaf switch next to the linkage of the flipper assembly. When the flipper is engaged, the linkage should push into this switch and trigger it *only* at the very height of the flipper stroke. This tells the game that the flipper is now fully in the up position and changes the power to the coil. A misaligned switch can cause a weak or overheating flipper, or even smoke a transistor on some systems. Generally, there are 2 types of EOS switches; normally open and normally closed. I'm pretty sure the Black Pearl flippers use normally closed EOS switches, meaning that the flipper should be pushing the switch open just slightly when the flipper is fully UP. You may be able to use a small mirror to see and adjust the switch from underneath without removing the Pearl.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I just thought it was particularly odd that it consistently works for a bit when turning on the machine and then stops. I'm hoping it's just a switch adjustment like you said and I'll report back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 38.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider galooch.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues?tu=galooch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.