8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 INITIAL CHECK: Install 2 piece MAP Cliffy Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #4 INITIAL CHECK: Remove all shipping foam? Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #5 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Auto launch issue fix Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #7 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Chest rejecting most shots fix Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #12 TECH: SWITCHES. [Switch name] is not working Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #13 TECH: SWITCHES. Game reports stuck MAP targets Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #14 TECH: SWITCHES. Game reports stuck GOLD targets Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #35 INITIAL CHECK: Installing Mystery Hole Cliffy Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #47 TECH: RAMPS. Stop right ramp decal from tearing Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Post #100 TECH: TILT. Tilt is too active/sensitive Posted by PinMonk (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Maide.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1275 4 years ago

Finally stopped playing the thing long enough to do some work on it. A bunch of switches hadn't been hit in a while because my cannon wouldn't load anymore. The spring that connects to the gate mechanism for loading the cannon came loose and I had to reattach it; they sure don't make that easy.

Now all that's left is to install the subway post and to gap the stuck slingshot switch on the left side of the chapter select. I'm hoping I don't need to remove it, and it's easier than I'm expecting because it's lower on the playfield (when flipped upside down.)

#1360 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Thanks! I kept upping it a point at a time until it landed consistently. At around 18 on my machine the ball would generally fire up far enough to clear the one-way gate, then land back on the main playfield. Are there any other known issues with this assembly? I looked at it under the playfield and everything seemed tightened securely in place, the coil and bracket weren't loose.

Mine came 18 from the factory (late December 2018 build), and I had the same problem with it failing to launch onto the ship sometimes and instead draining out into the playfield. I didn't know about the opto damage, so I had reset my to factory default, which is quite high if I recall correctly, so I'm going to be playing with 20-22 and seeing how well that performs this week with the glass off.

1 month later
#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I just removed mine for first time today. Removing was fun. Getting back on was funner. I liked the buffalo video where his tip for getting it off was to “jiggle a bit”, followed by his tip to get back on was “I don’t have any tips to get it back on”.
Good luck!

I also watched that video, after having gone through the manual and being disappointed this isn't covered. My Indiana Jones' manual has a page on taking off and putting on the upper playfield, I don't see why Pirates doesn't..

2 weeks later
#1880 4 years ago

I finally took my BP off the game to try to fix some of the issues I've been having with one of the Bonus X stand-ups. I thought it was just gaped too far, but upon closer inspection it's just mounted on the mini playfield too close to the rubber, so it will only activate with strong pressure.

bp_standup (resized).pngbp_standup (resized).png

I tried loosening and pushing it further to the right, but as soon as I get tighten the screw at all it goes right back; the bracket doesn't really allow for any horizontal adjustment. Not sure what can be done but filling the old screw holes and mounting it again?

I also wanted to ask if both BP flippers were supposed to have the same amount of movement, or if my left flipper's movement is intentionally shorter? bp_flipper (resized).pngbp_flipper (resized).png

The right flipper has a ton more movement in my game, and I can't remember if the left flipper was always this way, or something that has gotten worse over time..

#1883 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

On the upper skull switch your best option would be to simply set the contact gap closer so the target throw to activate would be greatly reduced vs trying to move the switch. Good Luck.

I'm afraid that I'd have to make it so sensitive that non-hits would trigger it; as it is, you have to press down the right-side hard to make it trigger. Dang. I'll try contacting JJP and see if they have any ideas.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Left and right flipper are the same on the BP. I suspect your Left flipper is at the end of travel (the flipper itself) against the rubber on the playfield which is not letting the plunger fully release. Adjust the flipper topside with the pawl nut below and I am betting you will be good.

Thanks, I'll make them the same, just need to figure out how much of a flip that is haha. For the rest of your comment, do you mean the left in my picture (which is the right flipper when not upside-down), or the right in my picture (normally left)? The left in my picture is the flipper that has much greater amount of movement, but maybe it flips too far? The right (in-picture) is the one that flips less.

#1886 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I was referring left or right that the flipper bat throw from the Top needed to be adjusted so they don't bottom out before the plunger can fully extend. In your picture (bottom side) the coil plunger is not fully extended meaning that (right or left) flipper is hitting full travel to soon. Hope that makes sense.

Ah ok, that's what I thought originally, which is why I posted here to confirm. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a game-design reason they had a shorter range of movement on the left flipper so you couldn't cradle or something like that. It sounds like this is not the case, and I should fix it to fully extend.

#1914 4 years ago

Is it possible to adjust the stroke length of a slingshot? I noticed today my playfield's left-slingshot's bracket moves too far forward when activating and makes contact with the table, gouging it My right slingshot works great and doesn't contact the table.

left_slingshot_activated (resized).pngleft_slingshot_activated (resized).pngright_slingshot (resized).pngright_slingshot (resized).png
#1927 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can toss a nut down the coil sleeve. That would limit the plunger travel. Works great on coils that are straight up or down when the game is being played. And if you ever work on it, you might remember why it's in there. If you stick a longer plunger in there and some day replace the plunger, you'll likely forget a longer one is in there and put the original one back in and have the problem again.
LTG : )[quoted image][quoted image]

I threw in a 6-32 nylon lock nut, and it's the perfect size. Thanks for the tip!

1 week later
#1945 4 years ago

I'm having an issue with my Load Cannon door not opening. If I manually push on the metal flap the coil connects to, it moves fine and will work for a bit, but then it'll get stuck again at some point. I've also had the spring that attaches to the gate come off twice now, which might be related?

I've tried manually triggering the Cannon Door coil in the tests and it does not open until I push it myself, and then it works fine for a while. Stealing the image from another post in here, the red square is the part that I can push on to make it work for a while, and the blue square is the where the spring is falling off (from the top).

All the parts here seem to move freely when I touch them, and since it works fine after I touch it, it's been really hard to debug. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any insights into what could be going wrong? This has been happening on/off since I got the game. I originally thought it was the metal gate getting caught on the left plastics, and that was a problem until I put a washer in, from the tip in post #1531, but now it's definitely not hitting that.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1960 4 years ago

Just wanted to say thank you to all the folks who chimed in! Somehow I missed that this coil was a magnet entirely. I've got a good idea of what needs done now, thanks!

10 months later
#3091 3 years ago

I think my POTC CE's main monitior is dead. A few weeks ago it didn't power on (and the compass display showed the main video instead), but restarting the machine fixed it. Last night when I powered it on it had the same issue, but restarting (multiple times) didn't fix it. I've re-seated the DVI cables on both ends to no avail. The display is completely black and I can't see the backlight and the menu and input indicators do not show (if there is even an input overlay). I also tried the power button on the back, but it does not power it on. I've confirmed with a multimeter that the power going into the monitor is live with 12v.

The game plays fine otherwise so at least it's not bricked for now, but it's hard to see what's going on in the game with an upside display on the compass display. I opened a ticket with JJP support, but wanted to post here in case someone else had any other ideas to try. I don't have any other displays that take DVI or VGA to test with either.

#3095 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Could just be a bad cable. Did you try changing out the video cable?

I tried a DVI to HDMI, which was the only DVI cable I had and it didn't detect it. I think the monitor is dead (or the boards attached to the back of it) because the backlight of the display isn't doing coming on that I can tell, and the monitor controls (menu, on/off, etc) don't do anything.

#3105 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

With the machine on and everything connected, did you try shining a flashlight at the monitor (no backglass) at various angles to see if it's displaying, but maybe the backlight has just died?

I have, and the game isn't detecting the monitor so it's actually playing the main display on the compass display instead.

I heard back from JJP support yesterday and it's $800 to replace the monitor. Really sucks on a CE with less than 200 games played to already be needing to drop that kind of money. JJP support confirmed that the 12 volts coming in from the power supply is the correct voltage, so it's not the power supply at least.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

Wanted
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Maide.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues?tu=Maide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.