8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2 INITIAL CHECK: Install 2 piece MAP Cliffy Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #4 INITIAL CHECK: Remove all shipping foam? Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #5 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Auto launch issue fix Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #7 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Chest rejecting most shots fix Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #12 TECH: SWITCHES. [Switch name] is not working Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #13 TECH: SWITCHES. Game reports stuck MAP targets Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #14 TECH: SWITCHES. Game reports stuck GOLD targets Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #35 INITIAL CHECK: Installing Mystery Hole Cliffy Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #47 TECH: RAMPS. Stop right ramp decal from tearing Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Post #100 TECH: TILT. Tilt is too active/sensitive Posted by PinMonk (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JRBBRJ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2270 4 years ago

So I have been trying to fix my chest forks and have isolated the issue but am unsure how to proceed.

They will work once or twice when I reset them but then will get stuck in the up position fairly quickly. In the image attached I have circled the part that is getting stuck off alignment.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? I am still new at troubleshooting this and am slightly in over my head.

09CE1A4E-ED6C-45ED-A548-DD8D9DCA6299 (resized).jpeg09CE1A4E-ED6C-45ED-A548-DD8D9DCA6299 (resized).jpegB99E03FD-39F2-4491-8F13-8BA420927388 (resized).jpegB99E03FD-39F2-4491-8F13-8BA420927388 (resized).jpeg
#2272 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

That's just a small relay that pulls in the metal plate. I think it allows the fork assembly to drop by gravity when pulled in. The only thing that I can think of is to go into coil test menu and activate it several times to see if you can see what's happening. You can push the fork assembly down by hand since it won't drop with the playfield up. I'd also test the main coil that pushes the forks up to see if the assembly is moving properly/smoothly. Lloyd may have more/better advise.

Thanks for the input. I will try coil tests with the Playfield down and see if I can see anything. The assembly runs smooth when I get that plate in the right spot. That plate keeps jumping out of alignment where those two springs are.

2 weeks later
#2274 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Looks like the curved piece and the smaller teeth should be creating a pivot point for the edge of the flap.
So maybe the smaller teeth on either side need to be bent slightly so the flap stops jumping out?

This was close to the solution, thanks for the recommendation. I also posed this question to Jersey jack support and they recommend bending the tynne (curved piece).

Ultimately I had two problems. The plate was too high and it was jumping out of alignment. I had to make the tynne curl a little more to push down the plate. Then bend it back slightly to prevent metal flap from jumping. This set the plate into the correct alignment to work.

1 month later
#2467 4 years ago

POTC is my first and only game I have purchased. So far I have fixed a few things, changed out the balls a few times, replaced a few sling and flipper rubbers and cleaned/waxed it a few times. It has 2300 games played on it. It is still running great.

Aside from cleaning/waxing and ball replacement periodically. Is there any other preventative maintenance that I should be doing to the machine? Or now is it more of a fix when I notice something isn’t working type thing?

6 months later
#3128 3 years ago
Quoted from marvinmax:

Suddenly my fork mechanism (from the chest) won't go down. If I check the device it doesn't work, if I check the 2 coils seperatly they work fine. Anyone an idea what that might be? Thanks!

I had the issue of forks staying up all the time intermittently. I posted the solution for myself here 6 months ago or so. Post# 2274

#3130 3 years ago
Quoted from marvinmax:

Did your forks go in if you did a coil test in the menu of the pirates?

Yes and no. My forks would only go down without my intervention about 10% of the time. Sometimes this was during a game sometimes this was when I was troubleshooting.

4 months later
#3301 3 years ago
Quoted from ceterumnet:

#1 - The fork under the chest is getting stuck in place. When I actuate it manually, it definitely feels like the sleeve is shot. What I'm not sure about, is if there are any FETs or other components that I need to check? In addition to the coil, there is a relay (I guess?) that releases the lock of the fork when it is in the up position. Because of the friction of the coil the relay isn't able to release the lock.
[quoted image]

If LTG’s answer isn’t the culprit. I had a similar issue of the forks being stuck up. Check out post 2270-2274 within this thread.

4 months later
#3366 2 years ago

Check out post 2270-2274 of this thread. I had a similar issue. My posts might help. Feel free to ask more questions about the issue I solved if you need more clarity.

1 year later
#3486 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So after the "dead pin" issues two pinsiders had this week and me saying for like the 30th time that JJP should include a momentary switch with their pins since this is not an isolated problem, I decided to stop complaining and just make one for me that covered the power kickstart AND the CMOS clear (for when the CMOS is corrupted, which also prevents booting). It turned out very nice - too nice - so I've decided to add it to the products in the Pin Monk store and sell the kit. It uses one of the three unused cutouts on the CPU box in the JJP backbox to mount to the bottom outside of the CPU box and is totally reversible.
The bracket kit includes 2 momentary switches with color-coded buttons, a housing bracket, top bracket cover, two screws, and an instruction sticker to place above the buttons on the case. I *believe* it will work on all JJP pins using the CPU box in the head (because I am using the unused HDMI cutout in the case, so they need to have this), but working to verify that now. It definitely works with jjPotC, since that's what I developed it on. DEFINITELY improves the process and speed of getting a machine up again where the "boot on power" function of the motherboard has failed since the cover of the CPU case doesn't even have to be removed once this is installed.
Though it technically works for WoZ or Hobbit if you plug it in, there's no proper mounting for it (yet) because the case is different and in the cabinet, but I'll see what I can do about modifying it for those machines with the CPU in the cabinet rather than the head. I should have it in the store next week once I have the costs nailed down and set a price.
[quoted image]

Ok so I turned my machine on today and heard the audio pop like normal…then nothing. Is this above the solution? Or are there other things I should check first?

AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpegAD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
#3487 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's a good sign. Those red lights mean there's no fuses out there. On the right side of that big circuit board, centered almost top to bottom at the right end of the two rows of transistors there's a very large rectangular chip with a red led on the left side of it. Is that blinking?
If so, the next step is to take the cover off the computer box above that board and see what lights you see on the computer motherboard (if any).

So what if the large rectangular chip is not blinking or showing any led power?

Side note I have tried to jump start it but that did nothing. I think I did it correctly.

#3489 1 year ago

I tried to jump it using same method as on page 46 of this thread. Jfp1 pins using a screwdriver. Also tried the paper clip method that I found in a video with the green wire and ground next to it. Second picture is the chip that should have a light? Thanks for any or all ideas with this.

I also checked my chord on another machine so its not that.

19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpegD2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpegD2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
#3490 1 year ago

Could it be the battery on the board? I was needing to change it but haven’t done it yet.

#3492 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Possibly. I'd do that first.
But jumpstarting it should work even if the CMOS battery is dead.
Did you try clearing CMOS then jumpstarting by shorting the two pins?

How does one clear the cmos?
I thought changing the battery needed to happen when it’s booted. Thanks for your insight.

#3494 1 year ago

Cool thank you. I’ll give it a shot tonight.

#3495 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

JBAT1 connector.
How to here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/47#post-5329186
Also make sure you're shorting the correct pins on the JFP1 connector.

No such luck. Hopefully Its the power supply. Thanks again for the help with how to troubleshoot this

#3497 1 year ago

The JJP tech support had me follow the same steps for my boot problem.
Try to jump board
Clear cmos then try to jump board….nothing.
Now they have asked me to try a step that hasn’t been mentioned here. So for anyone else’s future knowledge.
*to test power supply:
Disconnect 24 pin and other 4 pin from motherboard (motherboard completely unhooked from power supply) Try to jump start the power supply through the 24 pin connector that is unhooked. If fan doesn’t run on power supply. This would indicate bad power supply.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JRBBRJ.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues?tu=JRBBRJ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.