8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 71.
#3301 3 years ago
Quoted from ceterumnet:

#1 - The fork under the chest is getting stuck in place. When I actuate it manually, it definitely feels like the sleeve is shot. What I'm not sure about, is if there are any FETs or other components that I need to check? In addition to the coil, there is a relay (I guess?) that releases the lock of the fork when it is in the up position. Because of the friction of the coil the relay isn't able to release the lock.
[quoted image]

If LTG’s answer isn’t the culprit. I had a similar issue of the forks being stuck up. Check out post 2270-2274 within this thread.

#3302 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Are the four slide rollers, two each side of the mech loose or fallen off ?
(page C-30 in the manual parts #17, #27, #28

Yup, two on one side have fallen off. Unfortunately they don't appear to be in my cabinet. I will have a look in the manual and try to order the parts.

Thanks!

#3303 3 years ago
Quoted from ceterumnet:

Unfortunately they don't appear to be in my cabinet.

If it worked at one time. They are in there somewhere.

LTG : )

#3304 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it worked at one time. They are in there somewhere.

Unfortunately, I just bought this one from another pinsider. So all bets are off unless they happen to have them.

Thanks again!

#3305 3 years ago
Quoted from ceterumnet:

Unfortunately, I just bought this one from another pinsider. So all bets are off unless they happen to have them.

You could probably move one of the bushings to the other side temporarily just to get the fork up and running again. When I got mine, one was missing from each side, but the fork was still working. I did end up finding the missing ones in the cabinet and re-installing them.

#3306 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

You could probably move one of the bushings to the other side temporarily just to get the fork up and running again. When I got mine, one was missing from each side, but the fork was still working. I did end up finding the missing ones in the cabinet and re-installing them.

That's a great idea, I will try that.

Thanks!

1 week later
#3307 3 years ago

Please allow me to entertain the game 'where does this screw come from':
I found this one at the bottom of my cabinet, bottom right corner, lying on the black grid.
- no nut
- screw has a flat end, probably 1 inch long

I looked everywhere, first on the cabinet itself (no screw missing there) and around the black pearl area and beyond. Could not find a slot to screw it back.

Does anyone has an idea where this screw comes from?

IMG_3922 (resized).jpgIMG_3922 (resized).jpgIMG_3933 (resized).jpgIMG_3933 (resized).jpg
#3308 3 years ago
Quoted from ellips6:

Turn game off. Lift playfield up and lean back. Look over lower right side of the underside of the playfield.

That would be the area it could drop from to where you found it.

#3309 3 years ago

Thanks LTG!
I did that and could not see an empty slot for this one.
It does not look like a wood screw; so it has to screw somewhere but can't locate any missing ones...

#3310 3 years ago
Quoted from ellips6:

so it has to screw somewhere but can't locate any missing ones...

Looks like it holds something to a T Nut, or a metal to metal joint.

Hang onto it. You may find it someday.

#3311 3 years ago
Quoted from ellips6:

I found this one at the bottom of my cabinet, bottom right corner, lying on the black grid.
- no nut
I looked everywhere, first on the cabinet itself (no screw missing there) and around the black pearl area and beyond. Could not find a slot to screw it back.
[quoted image][quoted image]

#1 choice is the bottom of the target ship rocker behind the backboard. It's on the other side, but it may have bounced. the switch and the rocker itself have screws like this.

There are screws like this on some of the stuff on the back of the backboard. Check the stuff for the black pearl back there.

The spinning disc underside also has screws like this on a piece next to the motor. Screw may have traveled.

#3312 3 years ago
Quoted from ellips6:

- no nut
[quoted image][quoted image]

Did you check the VUK that is behind the pearl? It uses 3 screws that are similar to that.

Good luck!

1 week later
#3313 3 years ago
Quoted from ceterumnet:

That's a great idea, I will try that.
Thanks!

Just a quick update on my fork getting stuck in case it helps someone else in the future.

It turns out that it was multiple issues:
- there is a pin that holds the 2 rods together. It turns out, that pin had crept out a bit and was dragging along the interior of the coil sleeve
- once I fixed that, and I also added the missing bushings, washers and screws, it was still failing 1/10 times
- the final issue was the alignment of the switch that the bushing pushes against to detect if the fork is up or not. It would engage at the top of the stroke, but disengage when the fork locked in place. This is not how it is designed - the switch should stay engaged any time the fork is in the up position

#3314 3 years ago

I bought a 12v rgb led strip for under cabinet lighting. Can anyone recommend a good 12v power source in the machine ?

#3315 3 years ago
Quoted from Mrsiyufy:

I bought a 12v rgb led strip for under cabinet lighting. Can anyone recommend a good 12v power source in the machine ?

I'm pretty sure all of the spot lamps are 12v. I hooked an LED strip up to one of those on my game.

#3316 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I'm pretty sure all of the spot lamps are 12v. I hooked an LED strip up to one of those on my game.

Thank you!

4 weeks later
#3317 3 years ago

Weird story. Was playing a great game (always when it hits the fan), and I lost a ball. Looked everywhere, reset power, lifted playfield (thinking it was stuck in a subway), nothing. Chapter Select left rubber switch was stuck closed. Reached under and around and the rubber was broken and the ball was wedged between the switch and something. So, found the ball, now for a new rubber.... it almost looks like I have to removed the Black Pearl and the chest to get to this area, hope I’m wrong

Thoughts before I start digging in?

#3318 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Weird story. Was playing a great game (always when it hits the fan), and I lost a ball. Looked everywhere, reset power, lifted playfield (thinking it was stuck in a subway), nothing. Chapter Select left rubber switch was stuck closed. Reached under and around and the rubber was broken and the ball was wedged between the switch and something. So, found the ball, now for a new rubber.... it almost looks like I have to removed the Black Pearl and the chest to get to this area, hope I’m wrong

If I remember right, you will have to lift the trunk off, but you can get the nuts holding the plastic down on the right off without taking off the pearl and that will give you enough room to lift the plastic and get in to replace the rubber.

#3319 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I had to remove the BP when that rubber broke on mine, its not too bad, you don't need to watch all of this just skip through it to get an idea.

#3320 3 years ago

I realize that not everyone is able to do their own maintenance on pins. But for anyone who is the least bit comfortable changing rubbers, lamps, etc, taking off the Black Pearl is really quite easy and I recommend all owners to get used to doing it. It gets really filthy under there!

Plus when the inevitable wire comes off a flipper coil or EOS, you'll already be familiar with it and it will be easy for you.

#3321 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I realize that not everyone is able to do their own maintenance on pins. But for anyone who is the least bit comfortable changing rubbers, lamps, etc, taking off the Black Pearl is really quite easy and I recommend all owners to get used to doing it. It gets really filthy under there!
Plus when the inevitable wire comes off a flipper coil or EOS, you'll already be familiar with it and it will be easy for you.

I’m doing it, been waiting for an excuse/reason to do so. I removed the mini play field on my Indiana Jones and it was quite easy. For some reason the black pearl has always just been intimidating, but I’ve had lots of pieces off of all of my machines so I’m ready for it! Need to install the map cliffy while I’m at it. Just waiting on the Titans to arrive.

#3322 3 years ago

Can someone please help me out. I recently bought a JJP Hobbit and it played amazing. yesterday night we've played and turned it of. Today I tried to start up the pinball machine but I only hear a fan blowing and see a couple of light on the boards. (also the lights behind the translite and on the coin door are one). But no lights on the playing field will go on and the screen says ''no signal''. I've tried to boot is manually by connecting the pins on ''jfp1'' when the power was on and the pins on ''jbat1'' while the machine was of and the power plug removed from the wall outlet. What can I do next?

#3323 3 years ago
Quoted from NielsR:

Can someone please help me out. I recently bought a JJP Hobbit and it played amazing. yesterday night we've played and turned it of. Today I tried to start up the pinball machine but I only hear a fan blowing and see a couple of light on the boards. (also the lights behind the translite and on the coin door are one). But no lights on the playing field will go on and the screen says ''no signal''. I've tried to boot is manually by connecting the pins on ''jfp1'' when the power was on and the pins on ''jbat1'' while the machine was of and the power plug removed from the wall outlet. What can I do next?

#3324 3 years ago

Thank you very much! it works again!

#3325 3 years ago

Feeling very accomplished now, successfully removed and put back on the black pearl. Actually was not that bad! But got all new rubbers, and the cliffy installed on the map hole, so all good. Everything works great now, except seems to be a little intermittent gremlin. Not sure if it is coming from the surgery I just did or something new, but every now and then, a new player will be added without me touching the start button.

I went into the switch test mode and clicked all the switches and none of them activated the start button switch. I had an Indiana Jones issue were a diode above the mode hole was bent over (from the ball banging into it), touching another wire shorting, and every time I go over the right outlane switch it would add a player (activate the start button switch, which I could see I’m the switch test). In this case, couldn’t hit any switch manually that would cause the start button switch to activate. The very last time it happened, I was at the end of the first ball and hitting both flippers trying to speed through to get my next ball in the shooter lane. The only switches I was unable to test manually where the trough switches. Not sure how to test those, maybe drop a ball in one at a time on the switch test?

The last game I played it didn’t happen so just wanted to reach out and see if anybody had anything similar to this? I haven’t really looked at the manual start button switch in the door, maybe something bent there or is touching it. Really just wanted to see if anybody has seen anything like this and if so might save me some time.

Thanks!

#3326 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I went into the switch test mode and clicked all the switches and none of them activated the start button switch.

Instead of Tests - Switches - Matrixed, try Tests - Switches - Dedicated.

#3327 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Feeling very accomplished now, successfully removed and put back on the black pearl. Actually was not that bad! But got all new rubbers, and the cliffy installed on the map hole, so all good. Everything works great now, except seems to be a little intermittent gremlin. Not sure if it is coming from the surgery I just did or something new, but every now and then, a new player will be added without me touching the start button.
I went into the switch test mode and clicked all the switches and none of them activated the start button switch. I had an Indiana Jones issue were a diode above the mode hole was bent over (from the ball banging into it), touching another wire shorting, and every time I go over the right outlane switch it would add a player (activate the start button switch, which I could see I’m the switch test). In this case, couldn’t hit any switch manually that would cause the start button switch to activate. The very last time it happened, I was at the end of the first ball and hitting both flippers trying to speed through to get my next ball in the shooter lane. The only switches I was unable to test manually where the trough switches. Not sure how to test those, maybe drop a ball in one at a time on the switch test?
The last game I played it didn’t happen so just wanted to reach out and see if anybody had anything similar to this? I haven’t really looked at the manual start button switch in the door, maybe something bent there or is touching it. Really just wanted to see if anybody has seen anything like this and if so might save me some time.
Thanks!

Congrats! As far as your switch problem, no I have not had an issue with that. But as Lloyd said, that would be in dedicated switch test. To test the trough, go to Tests/Device Tests/Trough.

#3328 3 years ago

I apologize if this was addressed before but I did not see it in the OP list of common issues. My ball seems to get stuck, most often during multi-balls, when it's going up into the ship from behind (e.g., not via the ramp). The only way to get it out at that point is if I have another ball I can hit up there or by lifting the playfield and vigorously moving it. The game will never detect the ball and will never end the ball or send a new ball to the plunger so it's basically GG when this happens. Has anyone else had a similar issue or suggestions? In addition, the left flipper on the boat seems to be out of sync but that issue isn't really critical to me.

Thank You

#3329 3 years ago
Quoted from heartbrand:

I apologize if this was addressed before but I did not see it in the OP list of common issues. My ball seems to get stuck, most often during multi-balls, when it's going up into the ship from behind (e.g., not via the ramp). The only way to get it out at that point is if I have another ball I can hit up there or by lifting the playfield and vigorously moving it. The game will never detect the ball and will never end the ball or send a new ball to the plunger so it's basically GG when this happens. Has anyone else had a similar issue or suggestions? In addition, the left flipper on the boat seems to be out of sync but that issue isn't really critical to me.
Thank You

check to make sure you have the spacer installed on the ship. it sounds like you might have a gap between the ship and the ramp. as for the flipper, I believe it is tied to the "upper left flipper" switch. which means that you have a stacked flipper button switch. when you push it in a little it should activate the lower left flipper. when you push it a bit further it should also activate the upper left on by the chest and the one on the ship. you can adjust the switch gap to make the pressure needed to activate all 3 flippers less.

#3330 3 years ago
Quoted from heartbrand:

Thank You

You need to check the feed trough under the ship (under playfield) that loads the up kicker. (photo shown) The trough by design is letting the ball roll to the Back of the playfield to feed so the pitch of your playfield front to back is important. If you are pitched to steep the ball will not roll back into the VUK. Also check to make sure the tongue (end shape of the trough shown in photo) is bent down touching the mating metal tray so it rolls down hill.

44444 (resized).png44444 (resized).png

#3331 3 years ago

Hi All,

I had to remove the Black Perl because the switch on the left that opens the flap to the cannon was reported to be stuck open. I removed it and believe I know what needs to be repaired but wanted to double check with the group. I believe that the lose green wire needs to be soldered to the attached green wire below it. Can anyone confirm?

D184ADA9-9B33-4217-ADD6-3367C95422F3 (resized).jpegD184ADA9-9B33-4217-ADD6-3367C95422F3 (resized).jpeg

#3332 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Hi All,
I had to remove the Black Perl because the switch on the left that opens the flap to the cannon was reported to be stuck open. I removed it and believe I know what needs to be repaired but wanted to double check with the group. I believe that the lose green wire needs to be soldered to the attached green wire below it. Can anyone confirm?
[quoted image]

Yes that seems correct. Double green.

Screenshot 2021-02-05 121815 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-02-05 121815 (resized).png
#3333 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Yes that seems correct. Double green.
[quoted image]

Thanks so much! Is that in the manual?

#3334 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Yes - always a free download or view at our website.

#3335 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Yes - always a free download or view at our website.

it is also built into your game. Test Menu -> Full Test Menu -> Utilities -> Manual

#3336 3 years ago

Thanks guys!!

1 week later
#3337 3 years ago

I desperately need help. After about 8 months of no action, I was finally able to get the mosfet replaced on the i/o board. I got everything connected, double-checked my connections ... and nothing. When I turn on the pin, i get a buzzing from power and I can see a number of red lights on the left of the i/o board, but that is it. Nothing else happens.

Being a relative idiot on electronics, I am not sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated. I miss my POTC.

#3338 3 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I desperately need help. After about 8 months of no action, I was finally able to get the mosfet replaced on the i/o board. I got everything connected, double-checked my connections ... and nothing. When I turn on the pin, i get a buzzing from power and I can see a number of red lights on the left of the i/o board, but that is it. Nothing else happens.
Being a relative idiot on electronics, I am not sure where to start. Any help would be much appreciated. I miss my POTC.

Try jump starting the PC. I had the same symptoms and that brought it right back up.

#3339 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Try jump starting the PC. I had the same symptoms and that brought it right back up.

I just wanted to say thank you! It sprung to life after following that procedure. If you are ever in Nashville area, beers are on me.

Thank you! My POTC is being played again after a long time being down ... we are so excited. Best game ever!

#3340 3 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I just wanted to say thank you! It sprung to life after following that procedure. If you are ever in Nashville area, beers are on me.
Thank you! My POTC is being played again after a long time being down ... we are so excited. Best game ever!

I am so glad to hear it! It's pretty scary when the machine boots dead like that, I know my heart dropped when it happened to me.

#3341 3 years ago

Lloyd should know too that I owe him more than a few beers. You are the best Lloyd!

2 weeks later
#3342 3 years ago

Need some Help! Seem to be having an issue with flippers on the black pearl. The flippers function fine. Issue is that when I hit either flipper button the game produces the same sound as if the ball is rolling through the spinner targets and awarding points. Other issue is more of a game play problem that when I cradle a ball to look for the next shot(if I am currently playing a chapter mode) the colored arrows aren't lit until I release the ball. Before I remove the pearl I wanted to get some insight. Thanks

#3343 3 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Need some Help! Seem to be having an issue with flippers on the black pearl. The flippers function fine. Issue is that when I hit either flipper button the game produces the same sound as if the ball is rolling through the spinner targets and awarding points. Other issue is more of a game play problem that when I cradle a ball to look for the next shot(if I am currently playing a chapter mode) the colored arrows aren't lit until I release the ball. Before I remove the pearl I wanted to get some insight. Thanks

Likely just a spinner switch is out of adjustment. Put in switch test and bump hand on Playfield to see which one needs adjustment when it lights. Could be the error on the flipper hold also.

#3344 3 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Check the spinner optos(especially the right one) to see if the screws are loose or opto has been smashed by the ball ejecting from the VUK.

#3345 3 years ago

I will check it out! Thanks!!

#3346 3 years ago

Seems like it is the right opto spinner switch. What is the fix?

#3347 3 years ago
Quoted from Captchaos:

Seems like it is the right opto spinner switch. What is the fix?

Most likely, replacement.

You're going to want these two parts:

18-005003-00 U-Shaped Opto, OPB812W
30-100043-00 Guard, Pearl Spinner Opto

The latter is an L-shaped plastic guard that installs on the Pearl to stop the VUK from bashing the opto.

#3348 3 years ago

Cool! Thanks for the help! Will order the parts and see how it goes! Very lucky that this is the first issue I have had with POTC.

1 week later
#3349 3 years ago

Topper question: before I send off the I/O board to Barry Engler,to swap out a field-effect-transistor, do any of you guys have thoughts on the CE topper motor running continuously? I ended up unplugging the motor as the game doesn't seem to recognize it for adjustments. It runs between games as well, and then faster during the game. Tried turning it off in settings, adjusting the speed, without any effect. Maybe there is a short in the wire instead, I'll check for that. Otherwise, everything has been great, but I like the rolling waves.

#3350 3 years ago
Quoted from dts:

thoughts on the CE topper motor running continuously?

Take a meter and check the transistor to see if it's shorted.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 67 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.