New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 240503)

jjPirates of the Caribbean Troubleshooting/Tips/Issues jjPotC Tech

By vireland

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 3,274 posts
  • 181 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by TZBen
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 595 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C167D4C0-98C4-4C44-BC79-CFEBD054CE4A (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
Screenshot 2020-11-07 112522 (resized).png
Screenshot 2020-11-07 112503 (resized).png
Screenshot 2020-11-07 112432 (resized).png
Screenshot 2020-11-07 112642 (resized).png
Screenshot 2020-11-07 112622 (resized).png
20201107_152624 (resized).jpg
20201107_153000 (resized).jpg
5258D7D2-B8C9-42A3-A03B-B82C55418C05 (resized).jpeg
2511CD88-92CC-4232-9297-41521BE4A42E (resized).jpeg
C7AD0C17-4B1A-43A6-81A2-D5F9F21BD5E9 (resized).png
01038AA0-7F1D-4444-85DC-08CFB831C0E3 (resized).jpeg
14D80B87-5A3F-4D7F-86AC-337AB1DD7738 (resized).png
Capture (resized).JPG
1F155917-E301-41E4-9EAA-658124DEB7C3 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3274 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 66.
#3251 42 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Did you try unplugging the 3.5 jack at the front of the cabinet? As I recall some had issues that went away after unplugging that.

Thanks Yelo. I read about that too, but I have an SE and it doesn't seem that any of the wiring for this exists on my machine.

#3252 42 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Thanks Yelo. I read about that too, but I have an SE and it doesn't seem that any of the wiring for this exists on my machine.

Sorry didn’t realize which game you had. As it seems like it goes away for a time when you unplug the 3.5 jack in the backbox I would focus on that. Make sure that cable isn’t routed by anything high voltage or a magnet. Then try reseating the 3.5 jack a few times to see if it’s just a bad cable or socket. Hope you figure it out.

#3253 42 days ago

I just tried replacing both mini-jack cables in the backbox and completely re-routing the path they follow and the problem still persists. I did notice that just having the isolator connected to the sound pcb is enough that it will make this tone, even without completing the connection to the mpu on the other end. Bypassing the isolator and connecting the sound pcb directly into the mpu produces the same result. No amount of wiggling connectors or finessing the jacks makes any difference in the slightest. It sounds like the high pitch tone of a hairdryer running.

#3254 42 days ago

Is there an adjustment for the tortuga coil power? I don't see it in the menu.
Mine started firing the ball sdtm and I want to adjust it a bit.
Lit xball at the scoop then it fired sdtm...on last ball. Grrr

#3255 42 days ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Is there an adjustment for the tortuga coil power? I don't see it in the menu.
Mine started firing the ball sdtm and I want to adjust it a bit.
Lit xball at the scoop then it fired sdtm...on last ball. Grrr

There's a power adjustment for it in the menu under Settings-Coil Settings. I don't think it's called Tortuga scoop though. I think it's listed as a VUK in the pop bumpers or something like that.

#3256 42 days ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I just tried replacing both mini-jack cables in the backbox and completely re-routing the path they follow and the problem still persists. I did notice that just having the isolator connected to the sound pcb is enough that it will make this tone, even without completing the connection to the mpu on the other end. Bypassing the isolator and connecting the sound pcb directly into the mpu produces the same result. No amount of wiggling connectors or finessing the jacks makes any difference in the slightest. It sounds like the high pitch tone of a hairdryer running.

Wonder if the cooling fan is causing interference. Try unplugging cooling fan for a moment or possibly something in the amp.

#3257 42 days ago
Quoted from Charger68:

Wonder if the cooling fan is causing interference. Try unplugging cooling fan for a moment or possibly something in the amp.

I was thinking the same thing, but I just tried disconnecting both fans and no dice. It's odd because it doesn't have any issues for 5-20 minutes after a reboot, then the tone starts very quiet and slowly gets louder and louder.

#3258 42 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

There's a power adjustment for it in the menu under Settings-Coil Settings. I don't think it's called Tortuga scoop though. I think it's listed as a VUK in the pop bumpers or something like that.

Yeah, I think I saw that. I'll check it out. Thanks.

#3259 42 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Bumpers ( Tortuga ) VUK Strength - Full Menu - Settings - Coils. Scroll down a bit.

LTG : )

3 weeks later
#3260 16 days ago

My JJP Pirates ship VUK is firing when it should not, so in switch test I can see what looks like the column firing, it does this regardless of me hitting the flipper buttons or cabinet side.

Any suggestions?

#3261 16 days ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

My JJP Pirates ship VUK is firing when it should not, so in switch test I can see what looks like the column firing, it does this regardless of me hitting the flipper buttons or cabinet side.
Any suggestions?

Wire pinched somewhere maybe under the black pearl or caught up in it - something is triggering that entire column of optos. Inspect those and see what's going on. Pirates uses 18 of the same opto pairs all over so parts are not hard to get but you can probably repair it depending on where it is.

#3262 16 days ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Wire pinched somewhere maybe under the black pearl or caught up in it - something is triggering that entire column of optos. Inspect those and see what's going on. Pirates uses 18 of the same opto pairs all over so parts are not hard to get but you can probably repair it depending on where it is.

So I disconnected and reconnected this plug checked wires all looked OK
20201107_152624 (resized).jpg

Then checked wires and connectors are all seated on this board;
20201107_153000 (resized).jpg

Is that the opto board?

Issue appears to have gone (for now) but this has been happening on and off for a while, since I had to take the ship out to replace rubber and fit cliffy.

#3263 16 days ago

So I disconnected and reconnected this plug checked wires all looked OK
[quoted image]
Then checked wires and connectors are all seated on this board;
[quoted image]
Is that the opto board?
Issue appears to have gone (for now) but this has been happening on and off for a while, since I had to take the ship out to replace rubber and fit cliffy.

Bottom picture is called the opto control board and POTC uses three mounted in different spots under the playfield
Stand by I'll make up some snips from Butch's excellent manual and post them here

#3264 16 days ago
Screenshot 2020-11-07 112432 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-11-07 112503 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-11-07 112522 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-11-07 112622 (resized).pngScreenshot 2020-11-07 112642 (resized).png
#3265 16 days ago

The opto connector for the VUK. If it happens agan. Be sure it is seated firmly in the board. And one of the wires isn't sticking up a bit from the connector.

And that you have a little play in the harness so the rocking ship doesn't give it a slight tug.

#3266 12 days ago

My map disc is not level to the playfield it’s a little high on one side causing the ball to take some strange bounces. Is there a guide to adjusting the disc ?

#3267 11 days ago

If I remember right you can loosen the screw that holds the mech on that side a little to level it up. Or tighten the rest to make it all level then lower the disc by the large nut and retighten.
Lowering or raising spinning map is done by loosening #8 and you can spin #2 then retighten #8

pasted_image (resized).png
#3268 10 days ago
Quoted from heni1977:

If I remember right you can loosen the screw that holds the mech on that side a little to level it up. Or tighten the rest to make it all level then lower the disc by the large nut and retighten.
Lowering or raising spinning map is done by loosening #8 and you can spin #2 then retighten #8
[quoted image]

Thank you!!!!

#3269 10 days ago
Quoted from heni1977:

[quoted image]

Also note, IF the spinner itself is not perpendicular lever (a few noted this) you may need to slightly shim one of the 4 mech legs to level it off side to side. Then make flush. Thick paper shims works ok if needed.

1 week later
#3270 9 hours ago

Chest not holding balls. Sometimes it functions but mostly not. All switches register is switch test. Forks function as intended. Actuator arm appears to hold the ball then release after a two count

Thanks for looking

#3271 9 hours ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Chest not holding balls. Sometimes it functions but mostly not. All switches register is switch test. Forks function as intended. Actuator arm appears to hold the ball then release after a two count

Play with the timing in the settings for the arm.

#3272 8 hours ago

Thanks for the reply LTG
The game holds the first ball but decides not to keep holding it. About every fifth try it’ll show as a lock. Could it be an issue with holding the ball and not registering the opto? Is it holding the ball half out of the chest?

C167D4C0-98C4-4C44-BC79-CFEBD054CE4A (resized).jpeg
#3273 8 hours ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Thanks for the reply LTG
The game holds the first ball but decides not to keep holding it. About every fifth try it’ll show as a lock. Could it be an issue with holding the ball and not registering the opto? Is it holding the ball half out of the chest?[quoted image]

The arm that keeps the ball from coming out is really flimsy metal. Try bending it back towards the chest interior a bit.

#3274 7 hours ago
Quoted from vireland:

really flimsy metal. Try bending it back towards the chest interior a bit.

That was the fix. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Art of Pinball
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 239.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
There are 3274 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 66.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside