8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 71.
#3151 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You bang on the playfield to see if vibration is setting any off ?
LTG : )

Problem is that I cannot reproduce the problem, happens from time to time. I don‘t think that banging will be successful, because the shaker is working the time producing enough vibrations. Nevertheless, thank you for your comment.

Quoted from EaglePin:

Might not be a bad switch but it could be an opto or another switch that's out of alignment so it's continually registering. Did you try going into the switch test menu to see if any switch is registering when it shouldn't be?

I have looked for a red marked switch as bad switch. How can I see in the switch test that a switch is registering when it should not? Thanks to you as well.

#3152 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Problem is that I cannot reproduce the problem, happens from time to time. I don‘t think that banging will be successful, because the shaker is working the time producing enough vibrations. Nevertheless, thank you for your comment.

I have looked for a red marked switch as bad switch. How can I see in the switch test that a switch is registering when it should not? Thanks to you as well.

Here’s a picture of what my switch matrix looks like when I first turn the game on. See if yours shows the same color in each box.

If one of your switches is showing different than mine, then that’s probably the switch that needs adjustment.

If your switch matrix does look the same as mine, then you might want to take the glass off and do as LTG suggested and bump areas of the playfield with your hand while the switch matrix is showing on screen. If a switch registers from vibration it will beep and the switch that registered will flash green. That will probably be the switch that needs adjustment.

If you check this and it looks normal and no switch registers from vibration, then the next time it happens while you are playing just stop playing, take the glass off, put the switch matrix on screen, and check it again see which switch is registering when it should not.
9B664106-1BDA-4479-9CB3-1ACA84C582A4 (resized).jpeg9B664106-1BDA-4479-9CB3-1ACA84C582A4 (resized).jpeg

#3153 3 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Here’s a picture of what my switch matrix looks like when I first turn the game on. See if yours shows the same color in each box.
If one of your switches is showing different than mine, then that’s probably the switch that needs adjustment.
If your switch matrix does look the same as mine, then you might want to take the glass off and do as LTG suggested and bump areas of the playfield with your hand while the switch matrix is showing on screen. If a switch registers from vibration it will beep and the switch that registered will flash green. That will probably be the switch that needs adjustment. [quoted image]

Perfect description, thank you so much! You are helping a lot of pinsiders highly appreciated.

#3154 3 years ago

So, the switch matrix looks the same.

I will try the playfield vibration method tomorrow. Possibly, it is a dirty opto at the entrance of the lane under the black pearl right beside the map targets, because this opto activates the shaker, which is working in may problem case as well. So the bad switch must have a connection to the shaker.

#3155 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

So, the switch matrix looks the same.
I will try the playfield vibration method tomorrow. Possibly, it is a dirty opto at the entrance of the lane under the black pearl right beside the map targets, because this opto activates the shaker, which is working in may problem case as well. So the bad switch must have a connection to the shaker.

Another easier way to find this issue. Next time it happens, stop playing and go into switch history, or whatever it's called. It will show you the most recent 50 or 100 switches and that should surely show you which switch is acting up. Gotta be a switch associated with a jackpot I would think.

#3156 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Another easier way to find this issue. Next time it happens, stop playing and go into switch history, or whatever it's called. It will show you the most recent 50 or 100 switches and that should surely show you which switch is acting up. Gotta be a switch associated with a jackpot I would think.

This will definitely help explain the issue. It showed me which switch was triggering in a similar issue I had. My issue was an spinner opto that only provided five points. Your issue could be labeled as a "scoring feature" or "point enhancer". Leave it as is and show off them scores!

#3157 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

@ LOTR_breath: Thank you so much! I did not even know that there is a kind of switch history. Makes perfectly sense and I will try that.

@ MarZ_78: thank you to your comment as well. But I will not use the bad switch to produce unbeatable high scores Cheating myself is not the way to go.

#3158 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

@ MarZ_78: thank you to your comment as well. But I will not use the bad switch to produce unbeatable high scores Cheating myself is not the way to go.

Sometimes it's difficult to pick up on the in this forum... To be clear I was joking.

#3159 3 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

Sometimes it's difficult to pick up on the in this forum... To be clear I was joking.

I know don't worry

#3160 3 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I know don't worry

I still have yet to check on my rampant gold scoring switch too. It makes me angry when I hear the damn noise, giving me fake scores!

#3161 3 years ago

Looks like I found my culprit last night via the switch history tool..!

20200805_233727 (resized).jpg20200805_233727 (resized).jpg
#3162 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

[quoted image]

LTG is the next step to check under the playfield and see how closely the switch is gapped?

I know I watched Butch's video regarding switch adjustment. Definitely need a tool.

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

#3163 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

LTG is the next step to check under the playfield and see how closely the switch is gapped?

If you can see it above works.

If not, you could always unscrew the bracket holding it to the playfield and lower it and look. Though that won't help much if the rubber ring is pressing it. Then you'd have to adjust both blades.

Quoted from wesman:

Definitely need a tool.

Power off. Tool works. Small flat nose pliers, thin screw driver, fingernails, etc.

#3164 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

[quoted image]

I had a similar issue with the left rubber. That whole area is a bit of a pain to get to. I was able to fix mine by just pulling the rubber to give more slack in the front.

#3165 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I had a similar issue with the left rubber. That whole area is a bit of a pain to get to. I was able to fix mine by just pulling the rubber to give more slack in the front.

Oooooh! Yeah, that might be a good approach first.

Crazy, but sometimes just brushing my finger against that rubber was sending it ringing off a few times. So yeah, I might just try to loosen, move the rubber about for better placement, prior to jumping at the leaf switch...would could undoubtedly also be an issue too!

Gotta love the Pirates and Houdini people! You folks are always ready to jump in, and even better offer guidance and experience regarding issues that are commonplace, but new for some of us!

#3166 3 years ago

Hi pirates!

I came home from a trip and my potc won’t boot. First I noticed that half (top half) of my fuse LEDs weren’t lit. Then on later boot attempts they were. Now they’re back off again. Anyway, I tried the manual boot jumper and then the clear cmos jumper. The manual boot did make the cpu fan twitch, but that’s the most life I have. Very dead. I read through a lot of posts on the boot topic, but I’m not sure what to look at next.

Also, could someone double check my placement of the 12v connector from the power supply. It can go on either set of pins so I got confused.

D26CD690-134D-49FD-B990-060514A2F6BE (resized).jpegD26CD690-134D-49FD-B990-060514A2F6BE (resized).jpeg12377B7F-8F26-468C-A67C-5C772763ECC8 (resized).jpeg12377B7F-8F26-468C-A67C-5C772763ECC8 (resized).jpeg1502CDCB-97F5-46E2-95B8-D911B686CB2A (resized).jpeg1502CDCB-97F5-46E2-95B8-D911B686CB2A (resized).jpeg
#3167 3 years ago

All of those fuses tested good btw (I put my dmm on continuity and they all made the screech sound—is that the right way to test?). I also tested the two fuses on the far right of that board (the ones like in my car with the number 1 printed on them)

#3168 3 years ago

The fuses on the top half of the board will be lit or not depending on whether or not you have the coin door closed or top interlock switch pulled out.

#3169 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The fuses on the top half of the board will be lit or not depending on whether or not you have the coin door closed or top interlock switch pulled out.

Yep. You nailed that. Thanks!

So same boot problem. All the LEDs are on now though.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3170 3 years ago

There’s a video on the JJP site under support about jump starting the cpu - did you watch that and try that?

#3171 3 years ago

There’s a video on the JJP site under support about jump starting the cpu - did you watch that and try that?

I believe he did.

I'd try again, and power to power supply. Be sure it's plugged in tight.

#3172 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try it and just changed the button cell battery and tried again. When I try the jumpstart I do get a brief flicker of light and fan moving. But nothing else. Also cleared cmos and tried again. Same. Starting to wonder if I have a power supply problem or a mobo gone bad? Those both seem unlikely though.

#3173 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I believe he did.
I'd try again, and power to power supply. Be sure it's plugged in tight.

What did you mean by this LTG? is there a connector that could come loose enough to not boot but still have power to that board with all the LEDs?

Thanks as usual for your help.

#3174 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

is there a connector that could come loose enough to not boot but still have power to that board with all the LEDs?

Yes. I'd go over them. Be sure a wire/pin isn't sticking up from a connector.

#3175 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

is there a connector that could come loose enough to not boot

I'd check the pinouts in the manual for the I/O board and motherboard, see where power goes to them. Go over those.

#3176 3 years ago

Ok. I’ll check every connection today.

I don’t think I mentioned that the monitor has no power either. Not sure if that helps. I haven’t traced where it gets it’s power from, but it look like it comes out of the cabinet (maybe the transformer?)

#3177 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

(maybe the transformer?)

Maybe the power supply ?

I'd get a meter on it and see if 12 volts is going out.

#3178 3 years ago

Ok. Monitor power is definitely from the computer power supply. I think I have it narrowed down to a bad pc power supply. I had a spare laying around and Frankensteined it in. It booted. Swapped everything back, hoping I had just reseated a connector better. Wouldn’t boot. Same symptoms.

So, I’m going to take on the laborious task of swapping them out and recabling it all in...and pray...

#3179 3 years ago

Definitely turned out to be a failed power supply. Hopefully nothing more than that. What a pain in the butt to put the new one in.

Two reboots and a couple good games and still flipping.

#3180 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

Definitely turned out to be a failed power supply. Hopefully nothing more than that. What a pain in the butt to put the new one in.
Two reboots and a couple good games and still flipping.

I’m glad it was a relatively easy fix! My PS went on that game too - I got random reboots rather than a failure to boot. Corsair had a bad batch apparently, probably related to that capacitor fiasco that continues to plague electronics.

#3181 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m glad it was a relatively easy fix! My PS went on that game too - I got random reboots rather than a failure to boot. Corsair had a bad batch apparently, probably related to that capacitor fiasco that continues to plague electronics.

I’m curious if you took the whole cpu box out to replace the ps? I didn’t because it looked like a mess. But getting the screws in to mount the ps in that narrow sliver of space was a nightmare. Literally 15 minutes of yoga to put in two screws.

#3182 3 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

I’m curious if you took the whole cpu box out to replace the ps? I didn’t because it looked like a mess. But getting the screws in to mount the ps in that narrow sliver of space was a nightmare. Literally 15 minutes of yoga to put in two screws.

No, I was able to replace it without pulling the CPU box. I had some tight right angle screwdrivers that helped.

#3183 3 years ago

Can you please provide a link to a decent power supply replacement? Seems like a good idea to have it in stock or replace it already to prevent a shutdown sooner or later.

#3184 3 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Can you please provide a link to a decent power supply replacement? Seems like a good idea to have it in stock or replace it already to prevent a shutdown sooner or later.

The one I used is linked in this post. I went with what was in stock at my local Best Buy at the time, I don’t necessary endorse it (it’s another Corsair) but it does work fine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/51#post-5460683

#3185 3 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

I had mine laying around from tearing down a pc. Can’t remember the brand but it wasn’t Corsair

#3186 3 years ago

Not sure if it is still the case but antec used to make the best power supplies. My 850w is going on 15-16 years now. Really need to buckle down and replace it. It is from before manufactures started making them efficient.

#3187 3 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered...
My game suddenly doesn’t want to keep balls locked. They load into the chest then are immediately released
Fix?

Dont know if you found your fix already. I had the same problem and it appeared to be the lock metal part (on the keft of the chest) being loose. I had to remove the plastic on the right to tighten the bold from behind the chest.

#3188 3 years ago

Lately, my machine has been getting stuck when I lose at Liar's Dice. It displays the screen that says I've lost, the music continues to run... but it never returns my ball. I can't even tilt the machine...

Anyone else have this happen? This has happened 3 times now -- all as Davy Jones. code is .99 (LE)

#3189 3 years ago
Quoted from wilder828:

. but it never returns my ball.

Balls magnetized and not rolling down the ball trough right ?

#3190 3 years ago
Quoted from wilder828:

Lately, my machine has been getting stuck when I lose at Liar's Dice. It displays the screen that says I've lost, the music continues to run... but it never returns my ball. I can't even tilt the machine...
Anyone else have this happen? This has happened 3 times now -- all as Davy Jones. code is .99 (LE)

If you wager " your soul" and lose it will freeze every time. Karl said it's fixed in the beta code he's been streaming.

#3191 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

If you wager " your soul" and lose it will freeze every time. Karl said it's fixed in the beta code he's been streaming.

Okay, thanks for sharing LOTR_breath. That does make sense. In the meantime, I'll have to start winning more often...

#3192 3 years ago

I am getting a ball stuck under the right slingshot plastic. Twice in a day. Any way to prevent this?

20200815_121318 (resized).jpg20200815_121318 (resized).jpg
#3193 3 years ago
Quoted from dawasa:

I am getting a ball stuck under the right slingshot plastic. Twice in a day. Any way to prevent this?

Tighter rubber ring.

#3194 3 years ago

My plan is to change the slingshot coils for weaker ones. The stock are just too powerfull and any adjustments in the coil settings don’t make a significant difference. Has anyone tried this before?
I agree some tighter silicone or rubber slingshot rings can prevent the balls from getting stuck under the ss plastics, but it shouldn’t be possible. Too many Potc suffer from this.

#3195 3 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

My plan is to change the slingshot coils for weaker ones. The stock are just too powerfull and any adjustments in the coil settings don’t make a significant difference. Has anyone tried this before?
I agree some tighter silicone or rubber slingshot rings can prevent the balls from getting stuck under the ss plastics, but it shouldn’t be possible. Too many Potc suffer from this.

I agree about the slings being too powerful. I had to go with the larger double rung star posts due to some slight chipping. I do have the rubbers on the lower rung. Even with the slingshot power turned down as low as it will go, I still got CRAZY air balls to out lanes from the slingshots. It got a little better when I changed to regular 2 1/2" black rubbers.

If I put the rubbers on the upper rung then the kicker gets on the outside of the rubber in no time. I even tried two rubbers, one on both rungs. Same issue.

I have never really had any issue with balls getting stuck inside the slingshot like yours.

#3196 3 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

What about adding external springs to the plungers to give some resistance? I remember reading about someone doing that to their flippers on Deadpool.

#3197 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

What about adding external springs to the plungers to give some resistance? I remember reading about someone doing that to their flippers on Deadpool.

I prefer to adjust the problem, not the effect. The coils are too strong: weaker coil needed. The spring solution might work too, but I just don’t like the idea. I don’t think a decent spring exists to solve this problem efficiently.

#3198 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Check the opto in there. If the trap that goes down to catch them, goes down.

Thanks for replying. All optos seem to be functional. Chest lock 1,2,3 and treasure chest lane all seem fine. The metal arm also seems to be tightly on.
My game however doesn’t want to hold a locked ball. It immediately gets released and doesn’t register a hold

#3199 3 years ago

The Mystery saucer metal deflector bracket is extremely loose. Is this an easy fix? Also the loose screws that hold the bracket chewed up the white pop bumper skirt. I want to change the skirt, is it the same as a standard williams skirt?

20200816_211254 (resized).jpg20200816_211254 (resized).jpg
#3200 3 years ago

I just secured my scoop with thread lock.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/64?hl=eaglepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.