Topic Stats

• 3,090 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 119 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 564 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

coil stop (resized).JPG
IMG-5994 (resized).jpg
IMG-5993 (resized).jpg
IMG-5992 (resized).jpg
jjpotc-ball-stuck (resized).jpg
IMG-5970 (resized).jpg
20200627_222303 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IO-PCB (resized).jpg
20200628_101905 (resized).jpg
20200628_102926 (resized).jpg
8D6EFBE6-D431-44C2-BDA2-FBD8B4E94335 (resized).jpeg
E72CA3E5-78C3-497A-89DC-EDA8D075F201 (resized).jpeg
6CC63A35-42DC-46A5-B054-0D703D6AAFF9 (resized).jpeg
3DE80E16-279A-4ADB-943F-A829F982ADBB (resized).jpeg
20200613_153412 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

5 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3090 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 62.
#3051 13 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I just ordered the post kit from JJP. Do you think they will send it free of charge even if I'm not the original owner?

The post fix kit doesn't work. You'll just be wasting your time. The playfield will just bubble through them, and it doesn't take long. Buy a new set of double rung star posts, putting the sling rubber on the bottom rung, and rubber washers to go underneath them Hillman brand at Lowe's

#3052 13 days ago

I have a problem that may be easy for most of you, but I haven't dealt with it before. The right mini flipper on the ship powers up immediately when the game is powered on. It will go down when the power is cut, so it is not mechanical, and it is only that one flipper.

It started in the middle of a game, and then went back down after powering down and starting a new game. Now it immediately goes to the up position when power is supplied, so it appeared to get worse ... if that helps diagnose the problem. I have checked the wire connections going into the ship, and have checked the flipper button for problems and have found nothing. I could use some advice on where to start on diagnosing this.

Anybody have any thoughts? Thank you.

#3053 13 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Anybody have any thoughts?

If it locks on at power up. Transistor on the I/O board is bad.

LTG : )

#3054 13 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

If it locks on at power up. Transistor on the I/O board is bad.

Hi Lloyd, Thank you for the help. That sounds expensive. I have had the pin since new for about a year. Do you have any idea what cost I am facing?

Thank you

#3055 13 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Hi Lloyd, Thank you for the help. That sounds expensive. I have had the pin since new for about a year. Do you have any idea what cost I am facing?
Thank you

Not lloyd, but it's a dirt cheap part. Couple bucks and 10-15 minutes time if you know how to solder through-hole parts.

If you pay someone to do it local to you, I'd think around $100, depending on where you are (can't tell, your profile is incognito) could be higher or lower.

Coil might also be shorted, which could have blown the transistor, so replacement might be the coil and a transistor. I'd check the resistance of the coil to make sure it isn't shorted before powering up with the new transistor because if the coil is shorted, it will blow the new transistor, too.

#3056 13 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Not lloyd, but it's a dirt cheap part. Couple bucks and 10 minutes time.
If you pay someone to do it local to you, I'd think around $100, depending on where you are (can't tell, your profile is incognito) could be higher or lower.

Thank you for the help. I can make the swap without a problem, but diagnosing this was going to be tough given my skills.

I was assuming that JJP I/O board was going to be custom and expensive. I will look up the part in their manual, unless any of you have a link for a good replacement.

This site is amazing for help. Thank you again.

#3057 13 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Thank you for the help. I can make the swap without a problem, but diagnosing this was going to be tough given my skills.
I was assuming that JJP I/O board was going to be custom and expensive. I will look up the part in their manual, unless any of you have a link for a good replacement.
This site is amazing for help. Thank you again.

The actual I/O board is large and expensive, but you're not replacing the whole board, just one burned out MOSFET on it.

According to the manual the right Black Pearl Flipper power is Q406. The hold is Q405. It's probably the power one, but you should test both. The part is a IRL-540 Mosfet.

It's located in the area I've highlighted in green on the diagram of the I/O board from the manual (click to enlarge). This board is in the large rectangular case in the backbox.
IO-PCB (resized).jpg

#3058 13 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

According to the manual the right Black Pearl Flipper power is Q406. The hold is Q405. It's probably the power one, but you should test both. The part is a IRL-540 Mosfet.
It's located in the area I've highlighted in green on the diagram of the I/O board from the manual (click to enlarge). This board is in the large rectangular case in the backbox.
[quoted image]

Thanks for the help. I was getting lost reading the schematics and went right past that board. I will read up on how to test the transistor and give it a go. I also just reread your comment and realized that soldering is required. That is not my forte'. I will see who I can find locally that does board soldering in Nashville.

#3059 13 days ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Thanks for the help. I was getting lost reading the schematics and went right past that board. I will read up on how to test the transistor and give it a go. I also just reread your comment and realized that soldering is required. That is not my forte'. I will see who I can find locally that does board soldering in Nashville.

I’m sure you have already but needed to ask before you jump to this type repair which Most likely is the issue. Have you checked the blade switch on the right flipper button to make sure it didn’t just get bent raising the Playfield and locked closed?

#3060 13 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I’m sure you have already but needed to ask before you jump to this type repair which Most likely is the issue. Have you checked the blade switch on the right flipper button to make sure it didn’t just get bent raising the Playfield and locked closed?

If the flipper leaf blade switch was stuck closed. The flipper wouldn't go up when you turn the game on. It would go up when you start a game.

#3061 13 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

If the flipper leaf blade switch was stuck closed. The flipper wouldn't go up when you turn the game on. It would go up when you start a game.

Wow missed that you are 100% right. Simple fix but that’s a board issue. Sorry.

#3062 12 days ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

The post fix kit doesn't work. You'll just be wasting your time. The playfield will just bubble through them, and it doesn't take long. Buy a new set of double rung star posts, putting the sling rubber on the bottom rung, and rubber washers to go underneath them Hillman brand at Lowe's

Can you explain this more? I thought from this picture that the post repair kit was Star Posts and rubber washers. They are not double rung, however. Are you saying double rung will make that much difference?

pasted_image (resized).png
#3063 12 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Can you explain this more? I thought from this picture that the post repair kit was Star Posts and rubber washers. They are not double rung, however. Are you saying double rung will make that much difference?[quoted image]

Different problems. Double rung posts are for slingshot escapes. Star posts + washers (any type) are for arresting and/or hiding the cracking around the posts.

I'd put them on, personally.

#3064 12 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Can you explain this more? I thought from this picture that the post repair kit was Star Posts and rubber washers. They are not double rung, however. Are you saying double rung will make that much difference?[quoted image]

Forget the JJP washers and double star posts and just buy Titan silicone washers for all the plastic posts with art under them. You want to stop the posts from creating sideway force / slipping on the thick, soft clear. The Titan washers compress and are much less prone to slip. The hard, big JJP washers will only temporarily hide the problem. You could also buy metal washers with neoprene attached to them like recommended earlier, but I prefer the silicone since it’s softer and grabs better. Yelobird did a great thread on everything you need to know to fix and protect the playfield.

#3065 12 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I just ordered the post kit from JJP. Do you think they will send it free of charge even if I'm not the original owner?

They did to me I’m not the original owner.

#3066 12 days ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

They did to me I’m not the original owner.

Well, JJP contacted me via email. The kit will be free but they need a CC# to cover the shipping.
I'm looking at the Titan Silicone washers now. I think I will be ordering 6 of them.
Here's a pic of the left slingshot. Very minor now, so I want to try to prevent it from getting worse.

20200627_222303 (resized).jpg
#3067 12 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Well, JJP contacted me via email. The kit will be free but they need a CC# to cover the shipping.
I'm looking at the Titan Silicone washers now. I think I will be ordering 6 of them.
Here's a pic of the left slingshot. Very minor now, so I want to try to prevent it from getting worse.
[quoted image]

You can stick some clear acrylic (not GEL!) nail polish on it to prevent the chip from getting worse. Just make sure you let it dry fully before covering it up again.

#3068 11 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

[quoted image]

I think the height of the regular and star posts is the same. If so, suggest you replace the bottom sling post with a star one and larger silicon washer to hide/protect the area. I'd also install silicone washers on all the other plastic posts with art under them - especially any that are under tension from rubbers or subject to ball strikes.

#3069 11 days ago

Ball has been getting stuck here lately.....anyone else having the issue and fix?

IMG-5970 (resized).jpg
#3070 11 days ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Ball has been getting stuck here lately.....anyone else having the issue and fix?
[quoted image]

Right spinner support is likely bent up a bit from long term play. Bend down right side with finger and should be fine.

#3071 11 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Right spinner support is likely bent up a bit from long term play. Bend down right side with finger and should be fine.

Don't you mean lift UP the right side of the spinner bracket that is sagging a little? Pushing it down would make it worse, wouldn't it?

jjpotc-ball-stuck (resized).jpg
#3072 10 days ago

Is there any kind of adjustment that can be made to the chapter select magnet? when the ball sits to the left of the post I get a SDTM about 75% of the time. The only way to avoid it some of the time is to shake the machine right as it is about to release, but even that doesn’t always stop it. I end up with a slap save into the 3x target and still drain. It didn’t used to do that. Something has changed.

#3073 10 days ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Is there any kind of adjustment that can be made to the chapter select magnet? when the ball sits to the left of the post I get a SDTM about 75% of the time. The only way to avoid it some of the time is to shake the machine right as it is about to release, but even that doesn’t always stop it. I end up with a slap save into the 3x target and still drain. It didn’t used to do that. Something has changed.

Wear on the rubber or slop on the post. Some people have changed the rubber or doubled up with some success.

#3074 10 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Wear on the rubber or slop on the post. Some people have changed the rubber or doubled up with some success.

Actually it started happing more after I changed the rubber on the left side, hmmmm. I forgot I changed it. I put a titan rubber on it because the factory one was wearing through but it wasn’t screwing me over. I might have to try a different rubber again.

#3075 10 days ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Actually it started happing more after I changed the rubber on the left side, hmmmm. I forgot I changed it. I put a titan rubber on it because the factory one was wearing through but it wasn’t screwing me over. I might have to try a different rubber again.

Titans aren't rubber, but didn't jjPotC come from the factory with Titans or Titan knockoffs?

You could also try thickening the post with a thin sleeve, then putting the rubber over that, which would extend the rubber out probably 3/8" or so.

#3076 10 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Titans aren't rubber, but didn't jjPotC come from the factory with Titans or Titan knockoffs?
You could also try thickening the post with a thin sleeve, then putting the rubber over that, which would extend the rubber out probably 3/8" or so.

I think your idea of thickening the post might be best. I’ll give that a shot soon.

#3077 10 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Don't you mean lift UP the right side of the spinner bracket that is sagging a little? Pushing it down would make it worse, wouldn't it?[quoted image]

I think pushing up is correct

#3078 10 days ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I identified the problem to be in the LCD driver board, which lives underneath the actual screen itself. They are connected by the mini ribbon cable. This forms the assembly, along w related nylon screws, housing, etc. Verifying, re-seated everything first, then could easily replicate problem by tapping on the board.
Not sure which component on the board was intermittent, so purchased new screen and complete driver board from JJP.
Once new parts installed, display has been rock solid.
Not a difficult swap, just have to take care w the lacquered ribbon cable seating...
Hope that helped. Jim at JJP got me what I needed...

Thought I would give an update on this that worked for me. I finely got around to look at the small apron display and its non-working (flashing) issue I was having. First of all I dislike to purchase new parts without trying to fix what I own. This issue just seemed to me to be a connection issue as the display would work, but tapping on the display/apron and/or flipping the flippers caused it to flash on/off. I did previously take it out and re-soldered the power connections without no change, so thought I would look at it one more time before calling JJP and ordering new parts. This time upon observation one of the small caps appeared to have missed being soldered completely in as you could see an open hole around its connection in the board. Re-flowed solder around all of these small caps, I think there are 3 or 4 of them. Reinstalled all parts and now the display works without any flashing issues. Problem solved!

#3079 9 days ago

While playing tonight I noticed one of the rubber pads (same ones found on the tortuga bracket and the man overboard area) had fallen off and was laying near the depths.

Can anyone tell me where that rubber pad on the left side goes?

#3080 9 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

[quoted image]

Well, getting some really poor communication from JJP. They asked me in an email to call and provide a credit card number to have on file for the shipping. I called and left a detailed message including my cell #. No reply, so I called again, no answer. So against my better judgement I replied to the email and provided my cc#. Not a word in 4 days.

I just ordered 6 double star posts and 6 silicone washers from Titan and they've already shipped. Thanks Titan Pinball!

#3081 9 days ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Thought I would give an update on this that worked for me. I finely got around to look at the small apron display and its non-working (flashing) issue I was having. First of all I dislike to purchase new parts without trying to fix what I own. This issue just seemed to me to be a connection issue as the display would work, but tapping on the display/apron and/or flipping the flippers caused it to flash on/off. I did previously take it out and re-soldered the power connections without no change, so thought I would look at it one more time before calling JJP and ordering new parts. This time upon observation one of the small caps appeared to have missed being soldered completely in as you could see an open hole around its connection in the board. Re-flowed solder around all of these small caps, I think there are 3 or 4 of them. Reinstalled all parts and now the display works without any flashing issues. Problem solved!

Great job!!! I didn't dive that deep, but saved the problematic one....will certainly look closer.... a spare drive board can't hurt (is what I'll tell myself)...

#3082 6 days ago

Is this Normal when flippers are up?

What does everyone have their power settings for flippers? My left one seems a little weaker than the right.
IMG-5992 (resized).jpgIMG-5993 (resized).jpgIMG-5994 (resized).jpg

#3083 6 days ago

Left flipper going a little higher and feeling weaker. Could be a loose or bad coil stop. Remove the coil stop and take a look. #3 in the picture.

coil stop (resized).JPG
#3084 6 days ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Is this Normal when flippers are up?
What does everyone have their power settings for flippers? My left one seems a little weaker than the right.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Right flipper just looks a tad low in that pic to me. Adjust and align.

#3085 5 days ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Left flipper going a little higher and feeling weaker. Could be a loose or bad coil stop. Remove the coil stop and take a look. #3 in the picture.
[quoted image]

thx, I'll look into that..thx

#3086 5 days ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Right flipper just looks a tad low in that pic to me. Adjust and align.

Ok, thx....can't seem to locate the flipper alignment holes...I might be blind!!!

#3087 4 days ago

Anyone have a weak left flipper on the Black Pearl minifield? Do I need to replace it or could it be another issue?

Thanks in advance for the help!

#3088 4 days ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Ok, thx....can't seem to locate the flipper alignment holes...I might be blind!!!

I don't think your blind unless I am too!
LTG, Is there a proper way to adjust flipper bats?

#3089 4 days ago
Quoted from vireland:

Don't you mean lift UP the right side of the spinner bracket that is sagging a little? Pushing it down would make it worse, wouldn't it?[quoted image]

Used pliers to hold left side of spinner bracket, then lifted right side up with finger.....Now ball clears properly. Thx

#3090 4 days ago
Quoted from heni1977:

LTG, Is there a proper way to adjust flipper bats?

I eye ball them. Line them up with return guides.

Your game. Place them where you like their response.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
There are 3090 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 62.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside