8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 71.
#3001 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hello all from a relatively new owner. Does anyone's auto plunger actually make it all the way around the back? Mine will get the ball out but rarely even makes it to the ship. It does seem as though both sides of the auto plunger are in contact with the ball.
I need to take my ship off. I am getting an EOS error for the left mini flipper.
Going to be installing the disk silencer kit this weekend.
I have discovered the "switch history" screen and it is awesome for tracking down phantom switches! I wish all modern games had this feature.
I have version .98 on the game. Is it worth updating to .99 or would you just wait until the new version comes out supposedly soon?
Thanks!

Welcome. Plenty of great information here - auto plunger is a common issue. Mine was rectified simply by tightening everything up. I did the BP removal the other day, not as scary as you may think - whilst you have it off check all of the solder connections to the switches on the left side of the BP - it's common for them to break. Resolder if needed and ensure there isn't too much tension on the wires.

And do the code update! Have fun.

#3002 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hello all from a relatively new owner. Does anyone's auto plunger actually make it all the way around the back? Mine will get the ball out but rarely even makes it to the ship. It does seem as though both sides of the auto plunger are in contact with the ball.
I need to take my ship off. I am getting an EOS error for the left mini flipper.
I have discovered the "switch history" screen and it is awesome for tracking down phantom switches! I wish all modern games had this feature.
I have version .98 on the game. Is it worth updating to .99 or would you just wait until the new version comes out supposedly soon?
Thanks!

Check the first post in the thread under "shooter issues." Good luck!

#3003 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Thanks!

I took the Black Pearl completely out and it was BOTH wires on the left EOS switch broken off at the lug. Easy fix. Also cleaned the plungers and coil sleeves for the mini flippers while I had it off. Taking off the BP was pretty straightforward. Had it off in about 10-15 minutes.

I installed the disc silencer kit from the Mod Couple with mixed results. The kit was a serious PITA, mainly because the triangular foam pieces would not release the backing paper. Even using an exacto knife to try to separate the layers. Finally got all that done in about 2 hours. The disc was substantially less loud. But the results were short lived. After 10-15 games I started getting a new noise. I am unable to really tighten the set screws that hold the gear to the motor shaft. I am using a 1/16 allen screw as listed in the instructions, but as soon as the set screw begins to get tight, the tool slips. I cannot see anything wrong with the tool. I was thinking of trying a brand new 1/16 tool or maybe a 1.5mm would work? Anyone have any success being able to really tighten up those screws? I know that is my problem because in the motor test, I can put just the slightest amount of pressure on the disc and the motor spins freely while the disc is stopped, causing a nasty screeching sound.

I have not updated firmware yet. I need to get an 8gb usb stick. All the ones I have are either much smaller or much larger than that.

#3004 3 years ago

I used a 1.5mm hex key to tighten the gear to the motor for the spinning disk and so far so good. If they loosen again I may try some lock tight.

#3005 3 years ago

When watching one of the iePinball streams a couple weeks ago I noticed he was able to cradle the lower right flipper and stage flip the right flipper on the Pearl. Mine works that way for the left side (cradle the lower and stage flip the upper left), but the right side on mine is working the opposite way. When I try it on the right side, the upper right on the Pearl cradles and I can stage flip the lower right. Anyone know what I would need to reverse to make it like my left side so the lower right cradles while the upper right on the Pearl stage flips?

#3006 3 years ago

Check the wire colors on the right flipper switch and compare to the left. Sounds like the wires may be reversed. Also check the switch gaps and compare to the left. In the "dedicated switch" test it will tell you the wire colors.

#3007 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Check the first post in the thread under "shooter issues." Good luck!

Thanks! I added a washer on the right side of the shooter forks and it works much better. Auto plunge will make it to the ship and sometimes all the way around to the upper flipper.

#3008 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Check the wire colors on the right flipper switch and compare to the left. Sounds like the wires may be reversed. Also check the switch gaps and compare to the left. In the "dedicated switch" test it will tell you the wire colors.

I don’t think it’s switch gaps since the staging action works correctly, just reversed. I just took some pictures though. They are
1) Left flipper wiring
2) Left flipper switches and gaps
3) Right flipper wiring
4) Right flipper switches and gaps

The wiring and switch setup seems to be similar for both sides. I tried to follow the wiring from the flippers into the machine to check if the right side is wired okay at the flipper switch but got reversed somewhere upstream (downstream?), but couldn’t follow where they end up after going into the main harness. How do my pics compare to your setup at the button switches? Thanks!

2E33FCED-32D3-4612-8219-9B1D4AB540E1 (resized).jpeg2E33FCED-32D3-4612-8219-9B1D4AB540E1 (resized).jpeg12B5C2B7-5446-4E6C-8D89-066D1496F599 (resized).jpeg12B5C2B7-5446-4E6C-8D89-066D1496F599 (resized).jpeg7B579FFD-3D52-4AA5-A979-D1D39BDDF103 (resized).jpeg7B579FFD-3D52-4AA5-A979-D1D39BDDF103 (resized).jpeg14A9BF60-A3E8-48C7-A48B-8D616125D323 (resized).jpeg14A9BF60-A3E8-48C7-A48B-8D616125D323 (resized).jpeg
#3009 3 years ago

Mine is wired exactly opposite. In the pic, the yellow/red wire is going to the opposite lug. The other wire that looks like solid yellow is actually yellow/orange. If you go into dedicated switch test and slowly press in the button, you will see your switches are wired backwards.

20200607_164754 (resized).jpg20200607_164754 (resized).jpg20200607_165002 (resized).jpg20200607_165002 (resized).jpg
#3010 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Mine is wired exactly opposite. In the pic, the yellow/red wire is going to the opposite lug. The other wire that looks like solid yellow is actually yellow/orange. If you go into dedicated switch test and slowly press in the button, you will see your switches are wired backwards.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I just tested mine doing the dedicated switch test and it actually all checks out okay. When I press the left button a little bit the lower left flips and D09 triggers, and then when I press it all the way the other two left flippers (upper and Pearl) flip and D10, D03, and D04 light up also.

When I press the right button one a little, my Pearl right flips and D12 lights up to indicate that's the correct flipper to be active. Then when I press it the rest of the way the lower right flips and D11 also lights up.

So mine seems to be wired correctly for the switch matrix. Maybe they reversed how they stage the right side flippers in production at some point? On your right side, does your upper or lower trigger first? Thanks again.

#3011 3 years ago

This is extremely simple. You need to swap the position of the two yellow wires on the right flipper switch.

Someone on the production line soldered the wrong wire to the wrong lug.

#3012 3 years ago

Who sells the dual flipper leaf switch? I’ve bought a couple thinking they were correct, but they don’t match. Thanks!

#3013 3 years ago

New owner here...finally joined in...beautiful game, extreme low play huo LE.

doing minor adjustment switch stuff...everything good.

Suddenly have noticed my compass LCD screen flickering. checked connections, changed VGA cable, no improvement.

Starting to think the 5v is intermittent (?). Flickering happens w flipper action but random. Ideas? Thanks

#3014 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Suddenly have noticed my compass LCD screen flickering. checked connections, changed VGA cable, no improvement.
Starting to think the 5v is intermittent (?). Flickering happens w flipper action but random. Ideas? Thanks

I am having the same issue. I took mine out and thought cold solder joints on power. Reflowed and the problem is still there.

#3015 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I wonder if it's the ATX power supply. When mine went, I was able to reboot the game doing energy-intensive things like spamming the knocker in the coil test.

Any correlation between coils firing and the flickering on the LCD?

#3016 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I wonder if it's the ATX power supply. When mine went, I was able to reboot the game doing energy-intensive things like spamming the knocker in the coil test.
Any correlation between coils firing and the flickering on the LCD?

Not sure if it's the power supply. I would not think that on mine as I was able to pull out the playfield and with the LCD working I could tap around the display and it would flicker. I am assuming its possibly the ribbon cabling between the board and the display. Not sure how to fix this through.

#3017 3 years ago

FYI, check your optos for the two spinners on the Black Pearl. I was waxing today and noticed 1 screw missing and the other 3 extremely loose. I found a suitable screw and tightened everything up. Surprisingly, both spinners were working fine in this state. Also, I discovered the option to upload a photo to the game. Pretty cool feature!

20200613_153412 (resized).jpg20200613_153412 (resized).jpg
#3018 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Fixed...bad driver board for LCD....( P/s actually 12v)...got assembly from JJP...great service. A little assembly required, but nothing tough

#3019 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Not sure if it's the power supply. I would not think that on mine as I was able to pull out the playfield and with the LCD working I could tap around the display and it would flicker. I am assuming its possibly the ribbon cabling between the board and the display. Not sure how to fix this through.

Not the ribbon cable on mine...reseated everything ...tapping on the driver board ( under the LCD screen) was the giveaway...

#3020 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Fixed...bad driver board for LCD....( P/s actually 12v)...got assembly from JJP...great service. A little assembly required, but nothing tough

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not the ribbon cable on mine...reseated everything ...tapping on the driver board ( under the LCD screen) was the giveaway...

So let me understand this correctly by rebuilding the power supply for the small LCD screen, the board under the screen itself, that fixed your screen flicker. Did JJP send you a kit for repairs I am assuming.

#3021 3 years ago

So let me understand this correctly by rebuilding the power supply for the small LCD screen, the board under the screen itself, that fixed your screen flicker. Did JJP send you a kit for repairs I am assuming.

I identified the problem to be in the LCD driver board, which lives underneath the actual screen itself. They are connected by the mini ribbon cable. This forms the assembly, along w related nylon screws, housing, etc. Verifying, reseated everything first, then could easily replicate problem by tapping on the board.

Not sure which component on the board was intermittent, so purchased new screen and complete driver board from JJP.

Once new parts installed, display has been rock solid.

Not a difficult swap, just have to take care w the lacquered ribbon cable seating...

Hope that helped. Jim at JJP got me what I needed...

#3022 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I identified the problem to be in the LCD driver board, which lives underneath the actual screen itself. They are connected by the mini ribbon cable. This forms the assembly, along w related nylon screws, housing, etc. Verifying, reseated everything first, then could easily replicate problem by tapping on the board.
Not sure which component on the board was intermittent, so purchased new screen and complete driver board from JJP.
Once new parts installed, display has been rock solid.
Not a difficult swap, just have to take care w the lacquered ribbon cable seating...
Hope that helped. Jim at JJP got me what I needed...

Thank you for the follow up. Were the two parts expensive to replace? Just hate the idea of having to pay for new parts so soon after I got the machine.

#3023 3 years ago

Thank you for the follow up. Were the two parts expensive to replace? Just hate the idea of having to pay for new parts so soon after I got the machine.

I think around $70 for both pieces plus freight...my panel was good, but bought it anyway to be safe....

#3024 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think around $70 for both pieces plus freight...my panel was good, but bought it anyway to be safe....

Thank you for the information. I'll give them a call today and check on ordering the parts. Glad you were able to get yours fixed.

#3025 3 years ago

Very new to owning my own machine, and extremely brand new in trying to service one, so bear with me on being a complete novice.

But I'm getting a matrix switch #41 error, left slingshot, low (stuck closed). Basically the left slingshot just will fire over and over again, going on for usually 30 seconds and then stopping. Seems to go in and out. Was originally red on the matrix, but now it's stays green at all times (then it fires nonstop). Suggestions?

#3026 3 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

Very new to owning my own machine, and extremely brand new in trying to service one, so bear with me on being a complete novice.

But I'm getting a matrix switch #41 error, left slingshot, low (stuck closed). Basically the left slingshot just will fire over and over again, going on for usually 30 seconds and then stopping. Seems to go in and out. Was originally red on the matrix, but now it's stays green at all times (then it fires nonstop). Suggestions?

Turn the game off. Remove the plastic over the sling shot kicker and leaf blade switches. Pull on the rubber ring around the posts, so you have equal pressure on all sides, not tight on the kicker/leaf blade switch side. The leaf blade switches - front long one should be resting on the rubber ring, not pushing it or away from it. Shorter rear one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't. There are two leaf blade switches, one each side of the kicker. At least one needs a little adjusting. When bending forward or backward, get as close to the fiberboard spacers as you can.

LTG : )

#3027 3 years ago

And when you make your next purchase from a pinball parts dealer get your self a leaf adjustment tool.

3DE80E16-279A-4ADB-943F-A829F982ADBB (resized).jpeg3DE80E16-279A-4ADB-943F-A829F982ADBB (resized).jpeg
#3028 3 years ago

Several times now I've gotten a switch error for the upper slingshot switch stuck closed(the one under the BP ramp). What happens is the taller front blade of the switch gets pushed all the way back and gets stuck under the ramp. All I have to do is pull the switch blade back out from under the ramp and it works fine for a few days, then it happens again. Does anyone else have this problem and know of a fix?

#3029 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Several times now I've gotten a switch error for the upper slingshot switch stuck closed(the one under the BP ramp). What happens is the taller front blade of the switch gets pushed all the way back and gets stuck under the ramp. All I have to do is pull the switch blade back out from under the ramp and it works fine for a few days, then it happens again. Does anyone else have this problem and know of a fix?

This happens to me at least every other day. I get my tool out and just pull it clear of the ramp. Also looking for a permanent fix here.

#3030 3 years ago

I have thought about removing the switch and cutting about 1-2mm off the end of the front switch blade.

#3031 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I have thought about removing the switch and cutting about 1-2mm off the end of the front switch blade.

Bingo !

#3032 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Turn the game off. Remove the plastic over the sling shot kicker and leaf blade switches. Pull on the rubber ring around the posts, so you have equal pressure on all sides, not tight on the kicker/leaf blade switch side. The leaf blade switches - front long one should be resting on the rubber ring, not pushing it or away from it. Shorter rear one should be close enough so the slightest ball hit triggers it, yet vibration doesn't. There are two leaf blade switches, one each side of the kicker. At least one needs a little adjusting. When bending forward or backward, get as close to the fiberboard spacers as you can.

Thanks! Rotating the rubber ring seemed to do the trick, I didn't notice anything majorly wrong with the leaf blade switches.

#3033 3 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

So the right spinner on my BP stopped registering. Reading thru the posts, I assume it's the opto? I had turned down the VUK to the point of the ball just making it to the playfield. Where is the best way to start and what should I be looking for? Any help is much appreciated!

I’ve got the same issue. Going to pull that cover off tomorrow, see if it’s broken. Seems common with the VUK coming in too hard. What has the solution been? Need a whole new assembly from JJ or can the opto be replaced?

#3034 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

I’ve got the same issue. Going to pull that cover off tomorrow, see if it’s broken. Seems common with the VUK coming in too hard. What has the solution been? Need a whole new assembly from JJ or can the opto be replaced?

The ball on the VUK is hitting the optos behind the spinners on the pearl. You can get a shield from JJP by just asking for it. If you looking for something more easy on the eyes, then get the pinball mod co Pearl Stand Up Target window. It too will protect the optos like the shield, but just look better between the spinners. https://pinballmods.co/pirates-of-the-caribbean-jjp/Stand-up-illuminated-window-jjp-potc

You will have to pull the BP which after you do it a few times, it's not a big deal. Just take your time and once you have it off, study the bottom of the BP and the mounting bracket on the game for it. This gives you an idea how it goes back on without having to guess! Good luck

#3035 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Did you get the shield kit from JJP that protects the opto from the ball smashing in from the VUK?

#3036 3 years ago

Right BP spinner not working. This is what I got, the black wire on the opto hanging free. Obvious solution is to solder this back. Do you all think it’s necessary to take the BP out of the machine or should I just pull the play field out and give it a run? I eyes are not what they used to be or if think this would be easy. Before I cut that green zip tie, is there slack on these wires at all?

6CC63A35-42DC-46A5-B054-0D703D6AAFF9 (resized).jpeg6CC63A35-42DC-46A5-B054-0D703D6AAFF9 (resized).jpeg
#3037 3 years ago

Is the opto still intact, or is it in pieces?

#3038 3 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Is the opto still intact, or is it in pieces?

Totally in tact just broken wire.

#3039 3 years ago

Is there a away to adjust the compass LCD to the left or right. Mine looks to be off compared to others I’ve seen. I have a black gap on the left hand side. I searched the menus and only see adjustment for the main screen.

E72CA3E5-78C3-497A-89DC-EDA8D075F201 (resized).jpegE72CA3E5-78C3-497A-89DC-EDA8D075F201 (resized).jpeg
#3040 3 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Is there a away to adjust the compass LCD to the left or right. Mine looks to be off compared to others I’ve seen. I have a black gap on the left hand side. I searched the menus and only see adjustment for the main screen. [quoted image]

There should be a little daughterboard with tiny buttons that you can plug into the mini-monitor to make adjustments. Houdini had one for the stage monitor. Not sure if JJP shipped jjPotC with it.

#3041 3 years ago

Anybody know what I’m supposed to do with this? Got the new bracket for the tartuga hole (works like a charm), and they sent the POTC Post Repair Kit 51-100072-00 with it, photo attached.

8D6EFBE6-D431-44C2-BDA2-FBD8B4E94335 (resized).jpeg8D6EFBE6-D431-44C2-BDA2-FBD8B4E94335 (resized).jpeg
#3042 3 years ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Anybody know what I’m supposed to do with this?

Replace posts that have pooling around them under the slingshots. Put washer down, then post.

#3043 3 years ago

Any update on the Pirates code update? It feels like ages since we saw some beta testers using it.

#3044 3 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Replace posts that have pooling around them under the slingshots. Put washer down, then post.

I just ordered the post kit from JJP. Do you think they will send it free of charge even if I'm not the original owner?

#3045 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Mark! Welcome to the club.

#3046 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There should be a little daughterboard with tiny buttons that you can plug into the mini-monitor to make adjustments. Houdini had one for the stage monitor. Not sure if JJP shipped jjPotC with it.

Comes w replacement assembly...not sure if it was included w NIB, as I am the second owner of this pin ( wasn't included in machine transfer and he was super efficient at keeping everything)

#3047 3 years ago

Mileages may vary but on my game I noticed that the posts on the I and E lane took wear from clearcoatgate more than others. The best solution I think is a double washer solution, Hillman 1/4 inch rubber and 1/4 inch Hillman Nylon for stability on top of it (the rubber inverts in without it). Tightened down nice, the nylon height compresses so gives a negligible difference.

20200628_101905 (resized).jpg20200628_101905 (resized).jpg20200628_102926 (resized).jpg20200628_102926 (resized).jpg
#3048 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I just ordered the post kit from JJP. Do you think they will send it free of charge even if I'm not the original owner?

No idea. Sorry.

#3049 3 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Yes. Based on my experience, and some friends, they will supply manuals and fix-it kits one per SN.

#3050 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Yes. Based on my experience, and some friends, they will supply manuals and fix-it kits one per SN.

Ouch, I suspect if that was said there will be several disappointed as that same fix-it program to used buyers didn't apply to playfields....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Wanted
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/61?hl=eaglepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.