8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 71.
#2601 4 years ago

Got the plunger seated correctly and tweaked the fork. Working 100% now! Thanks again.

#2602 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I noticed that as well but thought the ball rested on the plunger. I will check this out first. Since watching marz_78 video I can clearly see that his ball is resting on the forks. Thanks for the help and will report back soon!

Sounds good. If you find the ball is resting on the plunger tip and you need to back it off, these are the washers I used. Worked great and made a big difference in auto plunge for me with the ball now only resting on the forks.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dorman-help-brake-hose-washer-id-25-64-in-od-5-8-in-thickness-1-16-in-66272/5706408-P?searchTerm=Hose+washer

#2603 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Got the plunger seated correctly and tweaked the fork. Working 100% now! Thanks again.

Great!

#2604 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So is there a definitive solution to the screws coming out of the fork mechanism and losing the little sliders and spacers? I definitely have that problem and am wondering if loctite is the answer or if something else needs to happen. I searched but only got fragments.
Thanks in advance.

I think blue Loctite is the best option to keep the screws in. The screws on mine came loose early on and I used it. Haven’t had an issue with it coming loose again in over a year now.

#2605 4 years ago
Quoted from paynemic:

So is there a definitive solution to the screws coming out of the fork mechanism and losing the little sliders and spacers? I definitely have that problem and am wondering if loctite is the answer or if something else needs to happen. I searched but only got fragments.
Thanks in advance.

Do you mean this?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/50#post-5408488

If so, JJP sent me the missing parts gratis, I only paid shipping. Just a tiny amount of blue loctite after re-installing has solved the problem for me. I'm keeping an eye on them. It's a beast to get the flat plastic washer in place while threading everything properly. Thus I'd recommend everyone to take a look at this area to make sure you don't have screws backing out.
Murph

#2606 4 years ago

Anyone know where this Cliffy part goes in the Pirates?

20200218_104717 (resized).jpg20200218_104717 (resized).jpg
#2607 4 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Anyone know where this Cliffy part goes in the Pirates?[quoted image]

That replaces the mylar that is around the 'bayou' hole under the upper left flipper.

#2608 4 years ago

I did not put that piece on yet as the Mylar is in good condition and the carbon fiber look covers up a little of the artwork. Maybe I should put it on. What's the general consensus?

#2609 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I did not put that piece on yet as the Mylar is in good condition and the carbon fiber look covers up a little of the artwork. Maybe I should put it on. What's the general consensus?

I didn't do it either for the same reason (also I don't like the look)

#2610 4 years ago

I put on all Cliffy's except that one as well. I don't hit the bayou frequently enough to make me feel like I need it. I'll monitor and apply if I ever notice it needs it.

#2611 4 years ago

I didn't get that piece? Maybe it was a later addition.

#2612 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Do you mean this?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/50#post-5408488
If so, JJP sent me the missing parts gratis, I only paid shipping. Just a tiny amount of blue loctite after re-installing has solved the problem for me. I'm keeping an eye on them. It's a beast to get the flat plastic washer in place while threading everything properly. Thus I'd recommend everyone to take a look at this area to make sure you don't have screws backing out.
Murph

Exactly. I’ll be putting loctite in ASAP. Thanks. I have a ticket in with JJP for replacement parts.

#2613 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I didn't get that piece? Maybe it was a later addition.

Yes, the Carbon Fiber Bayou piece and one other was added later on. Perhaps it was the BP edge protector as well. Hard to remember. That was back in August 2019.

#2614 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Yes, the Carbon Fiber Bayou piece and one other was added later on. Perhaps it was the BP edge protector as well. Hard to remember. That was back in August 2019.

Yes, a secondary 2 piece add-on set.

#2615 4 years ago

After aiming my tortuga vuk and adding loc-tite as well as adding the pad to the coil stop I am still getting kickouts SDTM. The frequency has decreased but they are still happening at a decent clip - usually at the worst times too. Arghhh

#2616 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

After aiming my tortuga vuk and adding loc-tite as well as adding the pad to the coil stop I am still getting kickouts SDTM. The frequency has decreased but they are still happening at a decent clip - usually at the worst times too. Arghhh

Curious, are you using the updated snubber VUK bracket JJP sent out or the old style original one?

#2617 4 years ago

Good question! Anyone have a photo of the new bracket?

#2618 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Good question! Anyone have a photo of the new bracket?

The top is a bit longer. Post a photo of your bracket. That might help!

#2620 4 years ago

Awesome, thanks wesman and @yelobird! I got too busy last night, but will check it out when I'm back home today.

#2621 4 years ago

Looks like I do have the updated longer one.

FA54AA7C-3D99-4DFD-93E6-27AC0F581382 (resized).jpegFA54AA7C-3D99-4DFD-93E6-27AC0F581382 (resized).jpeg5A21BC3F-3968-479C-A260-FE612CAE9E9D (resized).jpeg5A21BC3F-3968-479C-A260-FE612CAE9E9D (resized).jpeg
#2622 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Looks like I do have the updated longer one.[quoted image][quoted image]

You're welcome.

Have you tried lowering the coil power for Tortuga?

#2623 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You're welcome.
Have you tried lowering the coil power for Tortuga?

I run mine at default power and after aiming the scoop it fires into the top of the left flipper, consistently.

#2624 4 years ago

I've not tried different power on the tortuga. I'll dabble with that next. I definitely aimed my scoop more towards the base of the left flipper as you can see by the photo but i'd estimate 2 in 10 balls still go down the middle.

#2625 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I've not tried different power on the tortuga. I'll dabble with that next. I definitely aimed my scoop more towards the base of the left flipper as you can see by the photo but i'd estimate 2 in 10 balls still go down the middle.

Weird. On mine I’m able to crank it so far left that it shoots into the metal ball guide (which is definitely not what we want. )

#2626 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I run mine at default power and after aiming the scoop it fires into the top of the left flipper, consistently.

How fast does it shoot it out? Can you cradle it from there? Just wondering how mine compares. I'm guessing I could find a video of yours somewhere but not sure where, lol. Watched my first real pinball stream with R&M launch.

#2627 4 years ago

How fast does it shoot it out? Can you cradle it from there? Just wondering how mine compares. I'm guessing I could find a video of yours somewhere but not sure where, lol. Watched my first real pinball stream with R&M launch.

Can't cradle it, it bounces off the left flipper too hard.

#2628 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Can't cradle it, it bounces off the left flipper too hard.

Ok, cool sounds like mine.

#2629 4 years ago

You can find a lot of streams of my old LE at http://twitch.tv/l33tsandman - the older streams show the Tortuga scoop in peak operation. The newer ones, it is starting to creep back towards SDTM. (I've advised him how to fix it already.) This is just a periodic adjustment on POTC, from what I can tell.

I wonder - could a new scoop be made with zero "play" in the screw holes that would never vibrate out of proper alignment?

#2630 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

You can find a lot of streams of my old LE at http://twitch.tv/l33tsandman - the older streams show the Tortuga scoop in peak operation. The newer ones, it is starting to creep back towards SDTM. (I've advised him how to fix it already.) This is just a periodic adjustment on POTC, from what I can tell.
I wonder - could a new scoop be made with zero "play" in the screw holes that would never vibrate out of proper alignment?

Thanks! The scoop uses wood screws, right? I would think, if there was room, just drilling out and bolting it to the playfield would solve it.

#2631 4 years ago

Thanks! The scoop uses wood screws, right? I would think, if there was room, just drilling out and bolting it to the playfield would solve it.

IIRC the Tortuga screws go into threaded metal sockets (T-Nuts I am guessing.) I think smaller holes on the scoop would allow for less play. However, the chance of aiming it right would decrease...because there's less play.

Pinball is hard!

#2632 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

IIRC the Tortuga screws go into threaded metal sockets (T-Nuts I am guessing.) I think smaller holes on the scoop would allow for less play. However, the chance of aiming it right would decrease...because there's less play.
Pinball is hard!

From the head they look like wood screws but that could be deceiving. You would think cranking it down on the t-nuts would keep it in position. Maybe replacing the t-nut with a locking washer/nut would help prevent the threads from loosening (or locktite as someone else posted or maybe it was you).

I guess maybe a themed snubber could be cool. I have no idea what the Tortuga is supposed to be, never watched that movie or if I did I don't remember.

#2633 4 years ago

Tortuga was an island if I recall. An extremely rowdy place filled with pirates.

#2634 4 years ago

zaphX - can you take a shot similar to my second one above showing how you have your scoop aimed?

#2635 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Would rubber washers help hold it in place?

#2636 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

zaphx - can you take a shot similar to my second one above showing how you have your scoop aimed?

You won't make heads or tails of it from a picture. Just loosen yours, crank it fully left, tighten and test. If the ball strikes the metal guide, adjust a bit and try again.

#2637 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Would rubber washers help hold it in place?

I could see that helping. Rubber or silicone.

#2638 4 years ago

My spinning disc stopped spinning. I heard they are prone to break - any ideas on how to check it - I can’t find a single switch test for it. It is also slightly unlevel (Since it was new). Ideas on how to fix the unlevel disc? Thanks!

#2639 4 years ago
Quoted from HornerSyndrome:

any ideas on how to check it

Tests - Devices.

Ideas on how to fix the unlevel disc?

There is a huge nut underneath, loosen it and turn the screw thread part higher or lower as needed then retighten it. Page C-56 in the manual, part number 8.

LTG : )

#2640 4 years ago

My spinning disc stopped spinning. I heard they are prone to break - any ideas on how to check it - I can’t find a single switch test for it. It is also slightly unlevel (Since it was new). Ideas on how to fix the unlevel disc? Thanks!

Check your fuses (F713, F714).
fuse-chart (resized).jpgfuse-chart (resized).jpg

#2641 4 years ago

Is anyone else concerned about the screw hitting the opto? I think I'm gonna mess with the arm a bit to curve it around the opto. Maybe the screws can be installed on the other side and swap the arm around, not sure.

#2642 4 years ago

Is anyone else concerned about the screw hitting the opto? I think I'm gonna mess with the arm a bit to curve it around the opto. Maybe the screws can be installed on the other side and swap the arm around, not sure.

Where is that?

#2643 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Where is that?

Chest latch mech. I'm pulling back the ball release and letting it close automatically via the spring.

#2644 4 years ago

It appears that my game is not detecting the balls once they go into the chest. When the game ends it does not release any balls in the chest and when you start a new game it goes into a balls search and then will release the balls. Also, if I am in a multiball it does not know if you shoot a ball into the chest. So I am often doing a one ball multiball because one or more balls are trapped in the chest. What should I check?

Thanks

#2645 4 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

What should I check?

Tests - Switches - Matrixed - then check the optos in the chest.

#2646 4 years ago

All 3 optos register in test mode.

#2647 4 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Balls magnetized and not rolling in chest good ?

#2648 4 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Yeah, my guess is balls are magnetized. Check attraction with a paperclip. Do not buy shiny chrome pinballs to replace them as they magnetize easier.

#2649 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, my guess is balls are magnetized. Check attraction with a paperclip. Do not buy shiny chrome pinballs to replace them as they magnetize easier.

Not one of my balls would attach to a paper clip. The balls seem to roll fine in the chest. When the game does a ball search and releases the balls from the chest, they drop out just fine. So the optos and the balls don't seem to be an issue, but something is going on with the chest.

#2650 4 years ago
Quoted from fossmin:

Not one of my balls would attach to a paper clip. The balls seem to roll fine in the chest. When the game does a ball search and releases the balls from the chest, they drop out just fine. So the optos and the balls don't seem to be an issue, but something is going on with the chest.

Try lengthening the amount of time the chest gate release is open to give the balls more time to come out.

Also, are the optos registering in test in the right ORDER? If they're out of order, that could cause what you're seeing.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
20,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
La Cañada Flintridge, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 38.00
Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.