8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 71.
#2551 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

your second picture isn't measuring anything as pins 1 and 2 on the relay board are the output to the motor. you would need to have the board plugged in, then test the voltage at the motor itself to see if the relay itself is working.
You are on the right track though.

Okay. I did previously disconnect the 2 pin molex inbetween the board and the motor and did not get voltage if I recall correctly. I'll try that again tonight and make sure. Thanks for your correction.

Just to confirm, however, you do agree that I am getting power TO the board, yes?

#2552 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Okay. I did previously disconnect the 2 pin molex inbetween the board and the motor and did not get voltage if I recall correctly. I'll try that again tonight and make sure. Thanks for your correction.
Just to confirm, however, you do agree that I am getting power TO the board, yes?

yes, it appears that you are getting the 12v (although it is a little high), but yes.

when you are testing the voltage going to the motor make sure you use the wires coming from pins 1 and 2 (do not use the cabinet ground). also, make sure you are in the device test for the motor and it is running.

#2553 4 years ago

Will check tonight after work. Man, I would LOVE to get this diagnosed. My hope is bad board which would be an easy fix.

#2554 4 years ago

Here is me hooked up to the 2 pin power connector coming from the board after I plugged the board back up. Tried both in coil test mode and in ship test. Looks like no power (multimeter reading same as with leads in air essentially).

So, am I correct in thinking I need a new motor relay board?

E0C5C910-DD59-43CD-82BF-D25402AF2B0F (resized).jpegE0C5C910-DD59-43CD-82BF-D25402AF2B0F (resized).jpeg
#2555 4 years ago

Here is me hooked up to the 2 pin power connector coming from the board after I plugged the board back up. Tried both in coil test mode and in ship test. Looks like no power (multimeter reading same as with leads in air essentially).
So, am I correct in thinking I need a new motor relay board?[quoted image]

Is the coin door closed so you have power?

#2556 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is the coin door closed so you have power?

Yes.

#2557 4 years ago

Should the Black Pearl home position be level, or should it tilt to the left like mine does? Mine only tilts right at the very end of its movement.

EDIT: I watched some videos and it looks like that's normal. I'll have to adjust my ramp though, because my ball keeps getting stuck under the left flipper.

#2558 4 years ago

So, am I correct in thinking I need a new motor relay board?[quoted image]

Yes, the next step I would take is to contact the distributor your purchased the game from and have them order a new board or contact jjp yourself and order a replacement board.

#2559 4 years ago

Yes, the next step I would take is to contact the distributor your purchased the game from and have them order a new board or contact jjp yourself and order a replacement board.

Thank you!

#2560 4 years ago

Does anyone else have an issue with the inserts not being lighted up after startup? Usually I can restart and they will be fine. Sometimes I’ll raise the pf and ensure all blue Ethernet (or whatever kind) cables attaching the led boards are snug. The length of one of the cables is about an inch shorter than it should be. Getting annoying, and I’m sure the extra unnecessary power cycles aren’t good for longevity. Apologies if this issue has been previously addressed.

#2561 4 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

Does anyone else have an issue with the inserts not being lighted up after startup? Usually I can restart and they will be fine. Sometimes I’ll raise the pf and ensure all blue Ethernet (or whatever kind) cables attaching the led boards are snug. The length of one of the cables is about an inch shorter than it should be. Getting annoying, and I’m sure the extra unnecessary power cycles aren’t good for longevity. Apologies if this issue has been previously addressed.

Check the micro usb cable that goes from the computer to the bag board (if the playfield is up in the air, the board will be towards the bottom of the playfield). this is the connection that controls the lighting. from there it will split to the various boards via the ethernet cable.

#2562 4 years ago

Is it getting stuck between the ramp and the playfield - like the gap is too big?

Quoted from bbulkley:

Should the Black Pearl home position be level, or should it tilt to the left like mine does? Mine only tilts right at the very end of its movement.
EDIT: I watched some videos and it looks like that's normal. I'll have to adjust my ramp though, because my ball keeps getting stuck under the left flipper.

#2563 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Is it getting stuck between the ramp and the playfield - like the gap is too big?

Exactly. I'm guessing I need to adjust the pearl?

#2564 4 years ago

Yeah sounds like the pearl needs to shift down towards the ramp. Some people use a spacer between the pearl and the hex nut holding it on in the back. I actually found my pearl mounting pins to be bent. I bent them back straight and that solved it for me - no spacer. Particularly the pin bracket mounted to the backboard of the playfield for me was bent upwards causing my pearl not to be able to shift all the way forward.

#2565 4 years ago
Quoted from megalo17:

I replaced that Ethernet cable with a longer one. With it tight like from factory will eventually cause problems

#2566 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Exactly. I'm guessing I need to adjust the pearl?

There's a screw below the spot light just to the right of the Pearl that when tightened should lower the ramp down towards the right. That should result in the ball not getting stuck in that spot.

#2567 4 years ago

Dang. Motor relay board out of stock. I put up a wanted ad. I’m willing to pay $40 shipped if someone has an extra.

Usually just $18 at JJP. The board is used on other JJP pins and will be in stock at some point. I just don’t want to wait for who knows how long.

#2568 4 years ago

Dang. Motor relay board out of stock. I put up a wanted ad. I’m willing to pay $40 shipped if someone has an extra.
Usually just $18 at JJP. The board is used on other JJP pins and will be in stock at some point. I just don’t want to wait for who knows how long.

Did you ask if you could send your board in for repair?

#2569 4 years ago

While not a huge offer, if you were interested in shipping me the board I could put it in my machine to verify it is 100% the issue or not. If you got it shipped on Monday my guess is I could confirm it by Wednesday and have it back next day. Not sure I can fix it but I could certainly test it for you. Just let me know if your interested.

#2570 4 years ago

I really would like to see a mod that converts the spinning disc assembly into a direct drive, rather than that noisy gear that is prone to break. I have the silencer kit on mine, but it still isn’t that quiet and the gear already broke once. Why didn’t they just mount a vertical motor with the disc on top in the first place? No gear, no noise, less to break.

#2571 4 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

I really would like to see a mod that converts the spinning disc assembly into a direct drive, rather than that noisy gear that is prone to break. I have the silencer kit on mine, but it still isn’t that quiet and the gear already broke once. Why didn’t they just mount a vertical motor with the disc on top in the first place? No gear, no noise, less to break.

Probably because it was a progression of design from the multidisc version instead of a complete redesign for a single disc.

#2572 4 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

I would love to see someone make a belt drive conversion for the spinning disc. It would be super quiet then!

#2573 4 years ago

Anyone figure out how to quiet down the CE topper yet? That thing is way louder than the spinning disk!

#2574 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Anyone figure out how to quiet down the CE topper yet? That thing is way louder than the spinning disk!

Turn the speed down is about it.

LTG : )

#2575 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

What's loud? The motor or the clacking of the ocean segments and ship? It's the same motor from WoZ house, and that's not loud, so maybe because it's out of the cabinet in the topper you can hear it more?

#2576 4 years ago

Yeah its the motor and not clanking of any mechs. It resonates through the head as well like a big speaker box so to speak. Seems like there is a decent amount of resistance from the mechanisms the motor is driving. I should see if everything is lined up properly.

I've got the speed as low as I'm comfortable with that doesn't strain the motor. Made a bit of a different but not much.

#2577 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Yeah its the motor and not clanking of any mechs. It resonates through the head as well like a big speaker box so to speak. Seems like there is a decent amount of resistance from the mechanisms the motor is driving. I should see if everything is lined up properly.
I've got the speed as low as I'm comfortable with that doesn't strain the motor. Made a bit of a different but not much.

I set the motor speed to zero to quiet it down. Someone said removing the spring in the mech helps a lot with noise, if you want to try that.

#2578 4 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Well, the motor is sticking out the back and you have the empty space of the bottle, so maybe it's acting like a speaker box/resonance chamber, amplifying the noise of the motor or motor connections. If there's a few mm of clearance around the outside of the motor, you could try surrounding the motor housing with auto dampening material like they use for car stereo installs and car door deadening.

Something like this, and then cut to fit:
https://www.amazon.com/Noico-deadening-Automotive-Insulation-dampening/dp/B01KZ5X7KO

#2579 4 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

I was thinking of belt drive. It's on my list to take a look at, I am also annoyed by the sound even with the dampening kit. It made a difference but it's still an annoying sound.

On another note, I came here to post that my game just rebooted. Anyone else have that happen? It was sitting in attract mode (been on for a day or so) and I heard an electrical noise through the speakers (sort of a little pop or what you hear when you reboot a computer). All of the playfield light were stuck on a yellow color and the screen went black. Then it came back on and went through the boot sequence. Weird.

#2580 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I was thinking of belt drive. It's on my list to take a look at, I am also annoyed by the sound even with the dampening kit. It made a difference but it's still an annoying sound.
On another note, I came here to post that my game just rebooted. Anyone else have that happen? It was sitting in attract mode (been on for a day or so) and I heard an electrical noise through the speakers (sort of a little pop or what you hear when you reboot a computer). All of the playfield light were stuck on a yellow color and the screen went black. Then it came back on and went through the boot sequence. Weird.

You maybe witnessed a maintenance reboot? They started doing them on WoZ when it had the kernel lockup problem and even though that was eventually fixed after a couple years, WoZ, at least, still does them. Only happens in attract mode once a day max.

#2581 4 years ago

I had a reboot last week during a game. Screen and playfield went black/lights out and the pin booted after a while. No idea what caused that.

#2582 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I had a reboot last week during a game. Screen and playfield went black/lights out and the pin booted after a while. No idea what caused that.

Keep an eye on it. I had this with increasing consistency until the game was unplayable. In my case it was the PC ATX power supply and replacing it fixed it 100%.

#2583 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

That's more likely a power supply or software bug issue. They don't do maintenance reboots when the machine is active, and there's a short countdown before it does it.

#2584 4 years ago

Did you ask if you could send your board in for repair?

Good question. I did not think of that. I'll call Jim at JJP and ask.

#2585 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

While not a huge offer, if you were interested in shipping me the board I could put it in my machine to verify it is 100% the issue or not. If you got it shipped on Monday my guess is I could confirm it by Wednesday and have it back next day. Not sure I can fix it but I could certainly test it for you. Just let me know if your interested.

That is a great idea also. I'll contact JJP first and find out if they will fix/verify. If they will not, I'll PM you and get your shipping info.

Thank you VERY much for the offer!

#2586 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You maybe witnessed a maintenance reboot? They started doing them on WoZ when it had the kernel lockup problem and even though that was eventually fixed after a couple years, WoZ, at least, still does them. Only happens in attract mode once a day max.

I had no idea about that, lol. Sounds about right, nothing seemed off about the reboot, didn't look like a typical PC crash and no errors came up. I'll keep an eye out but the description you gave made sense (I don't usually leave games on more than 1/2 a day so this was odd for me).

#2587 4 years ago

I had no idea about that, lol. Sounds about right, nothing seemed off about the reboot, didn't look like a typical PC crash and no errors came up. I'll keep an eye out but the description you gave made sense (I don't usually leave games on more than 1/2 a day so this was odd for me).

BTW if it was a maintainance reboot you’ll see it in the event logs.

#2588 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

BTW if it was a maintainance reboot you’ll see it in the event logs.

AH ... never even looked at those. Ok!

#2589 4 years ago

Also, it's worth noting that JJP isn't the only manufacturer that has adopted the "Microsoft way" of addressing bugs likely related to memory leaks they can't find - just reboot the hardware at intervals. Stern does it on Iron Maiden (and maybe other Spike 2, but I've seen it many times on Iron Maiden).

#2590 4 years ago

HAH... reminds me of (NSFW language)

#2591 4 years ago

This was a first for me. Started a chapter during multiball and a second ball got perfectly jammed between the post and a target. I had to take the glass off to get it out.

7A5E33EE-BBE1-48F8-985A-B01DCF9C5DB0 (resized).jpeg7A5E33EE-BBE1-48F8-985A-B01DCF9C5DB0 (resized).jpeg
#2592 4 years ago

This could also be a power fluctuation from your home energy supplier. We have a pretty sorry power grid where we live, so years ago I installed a "line conditioner" for my pinballs. Steady, flat, power.

#2593 4 years ago

Ok, need y’all’s opinion.

#2594 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Looks like the ball is being pushed a bit left on launch. I can’t tell for sure from the video, but is the ball resting partly on the tip of the plunger instead of only resting on the auto launch forks? It should be resting only on the forks so they give it a straight push at launch. Mine was resting a bit on the plunger and I added a couple washers to back the plunger off a bit. That way the ball wasn’t favoring one side of the forks as it rested.

If your ball is resting only on the forks then maybe slightly bend the forks a bit to get a straight push?

#2595 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

This could also be a power fluctuation from your home energy supplier. We have a pretty sorry power grid where we live, so years ago I installed a "line conditioner" for my pinballs. Steady, flat, power.

A decent ups will do the same thing and will give you a few minutes of juice to put in name if power goes out

#2596 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Looks like it is hitting one side of auto launch before other causing ball to rattle. Maybe adjust where the forks sit with a washer on the assembly or maybe even bend the forks just a tad so the hit is more uniform

#2597 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Looks similar to my video posted 10 months ago... root cause identified.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/21#post-4991721

#2598 4 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

ball resting partly on the tip of the plunger

I noticed that as well but thought the ball rested on the plunger. I will check this out first. Since watching MarZ_78 video I can clearly see that his ball is resting on the forks. Thanks for the help and will report back soon!

#2599 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

I'm fairly sure it was the maintenance reboot but I'll keep an eye out.

#2600 4 years ago

So is there a definitive solution to the screws coming out of the fork mechanism and losing the little sliders and spacers? I definitely have that problem and am wondering if loctite is the answer or if something else needs to happen. I searched but only got fragments.

Thanks in advance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Wanted
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/52?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.