PROBLEM: Game is shutting down or rebooting randomly. Game shuts down on its own entirely, and often (but not always) powers back up on its own after a few moments.
SOLUTION: This one took me a while to run down. NOTE: I cannot definitively say this is the case for all reboot issues, but it was the case for mine...proceed with caution and at your own risk! Also note my game was out of warranty.
I started to suspect the power supply as the fault when I found that doing high power events (like the knocker test) would cause the fault. I noted that it was a 450 watt 80% Bronze supply from the manual, and the sticker on the supply indicated it was a Corsair. After some googling, I discovered that certain Corsair supplies have a bad capacitor problem. I stumbled on this gentleman’s video about rebooting on a Corsair supply, and his Windows machine exhibited the same exact reboots I did. Please give this guy a like and sub, as it was hugely helpful in my diagnosis!
Now having the confidence that the supply was the issue, I purchased a new supply from Best Buy. I went with Corsair again (with some hesitation, but it was the best they had in stock.) I chose this supply, which is rated higher than the original, and modular (which means I can pick and choose the cables I need.)
The steps I followed:
1. Identified all the places the original supply was connected, and marked them with painters tape.
2. Removed the 4 screws on the left of the metal PC cage holding the supply in.
3. Screwed the new supply in place
4. Attached the connections to the same places the original supply used, and with the same types.
From memory, these were:
- Main PC motherboard connection
- 2 x 4pin CPU connection - one to the lower half of the motherboard connector, the other to the audio amp
- 2 x PCIe to connectors above the driver board
- 1 x SATA to the SSD
- 2 x 4 pin, one to the driver board and one to a harness connector
After replacing the supply the game has been rock solid and reboots have stopped. I hope no one else has this issue but if they do, I hope it helps them fix it.