8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 71.
#2351 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

My NIB LE arrived today from Australia, and I need to convert it from 220 to 110. Is there a documented process for that? I’m comfortable with wiring.

Page D-92, D94 of the manual, you can download it from JJPs website.
JJP Voltage conversion.jpgJJP Voltage conversion.jpg

EDIT: Apparently the part about setting a switch on the ATX power supply is wrong, since you may or may not have to do that, depending on WHICH ATX power supply JJP put in your machine. Most (all?) Corsair ATX supplies are auto-sensing and have no switch. The JJP manual is being updated with this for the next revision.

#2352 4 years ago

you just need a special tool to remove the pins

#2354 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Okay, 17 iterations later, the Kicktap is done and in the Pinmonk store. As usual, I'm not sure about pricing, so I've just picked one I think I can live with. There's a lot of parts for this one, so it may end up more expensive later. I'll have to see how it goes down the road after I've built a bunch.
[quoted image]
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03111-power-cmos-kicktap[quoted image]

Ordred mine! Thanks Victor for putting this together. BTW - your magnetized balls are on their way UPS.
Murph

#2355 4 years ago

Thought I would share, playing my LE today and the right flipper on the black pearl got stuck on. Checked linkage, end of stroke, wiring and switches on cabinet. Went into test mode and all checked out fine, but the minute I pulled coin door coil switch, the flipper activated. I have had this type of issue before on my Bally/Williams machines and usually a shorted transistor on driver board. Called and talked to Lloyd and confirmed my thoughts. This was also confirmed by once I pulled the driver board out and tested the transistor I suspected and is shorted. Sad to see this happen on such a new machine, but it's pinball! Ordered a new transistor.

#2356 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Ordred mine! Thanks Victor for putting this together. BTW - your magnetized balls are on their way UPS.
Murph

Thanks much! The initial Kicktap orders will start going out tomorrow.

#2357 4 years ago
Quoted from Mikespinball:

Thought I would share, playing my LE today and the right flipper on the black pearl got stuck on. Checked linkage, end of stroke, wiring and switches on cabinet. Went into test mode and all checked out fine, but the minute I pulled coin door coil switch, the flipper activated. I have had this type of issue before on my Bally/Williams machines and usually a shorted transistor on driver board. Called and talked to Lloyd and confirmed my thoughts. This was also confirmed by once I pulled the driver board out and tested the transistor I suspected and is shorted. Sad to see this happen on such a new machine, but it's pinball! Ordered a new transistor.

Yeah, they can go at pretty much any time. Most transistors last forever, but sometimes they flame out quickly. At least you narrowed down the issue quickly.

#2358 4 years ago

Vic, what’s up with selling JJPOTCLE? I thought that was a great money maker and one of your favorite games?

#2359 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Vic, what’s up with selling JJPOTCLE? I thought that was a great money maker and one of your favorite games?

I don't have final say. Location's gone. Nowhere to put it currently. Op says go. It's a great game and was the #1 earner overall (due to the location we had it at) before the location changed owners and the new owners didn't want pins, but I agree with the op that the $1.50/4 ball pricing only works at a location with 3 pins so there were other options for people that were turned off by the price. He doesn't have any locations that can take 3 pins, so it's kind of odd man out. It's a drag, but there are plenty of other pins for me to play in its absence.

#2360 4 years ago

Makes sense, to the Op, I guess... Values will be high until they do another run and will then correct a bit, imo.

#2361 4 years ago

You think another run of them is coming? Sounds like they are moving on from it.

#2362 4 years ago
Quoted from Vans:

You think another run of them is coming? Sounds like they are moving on from it.

I think it is very likely, based on a conversation with Jack earlier this year. But that is just my opinion.

#2363 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Okay, 17 iterations later, the Kicktap is done and in the Pinmonk store. As usual, I'm not sure about pricing, so I've just picked one I think I can live with. There's a lot of parts for this one, so it may end up more expensive later. I'll have to see how it goes down the road after I've built a bunch.
[quoted image]
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03111-power-cmos-kicktap[quoted image]

Will this fit on WOZ as well?

#2364 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Contact him and ask. His ad - https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03111-power-cmos-kicktap if there is enough interest he'll make it for WOZ and Hobbit. Sounds like for mounting but will work now in WOZ.

LTG : )

#2365 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

It functions for WoZ and Hobbit, but the actual mounting paired bracket pieces for the CPU case don't work because it's designed for the unused HDMI cutout in the CPU case of JJP games with the CPU case in the head rather than the cabinet. If you didn't use the male piece and just used double-sided 3M foam tape, it could be secured to a WoZ or Hobbit in the cabinet base. Not quite as elegant, but it would be just as functional.

We have a WoZ here, so I do plan on working on a Kicktap mount for it, but I may finish up the last of the Iron Maiden column/Torch mod and Spike 320W fan projects first so I can get those out.

#2366 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Makes sense, to the Op, I guess... Values will be high until they do another run and will then correct a bit, imo.

I also think there will be another run within 18 months (no insider information, just my feeling). JJP left WAY too much money on the table, and if Eric hits it out of the park again with GnR, even more people will want to own his first masterpiece, increasing demand.

But anyone that thinks that by waiting they'll get a jjPotC LE on that re-run for the original $10k pricing is dreaming. If it happens, it will be a Yellow Brick Road WoZ situation where the price is jacked up to former CE levels. Although now that the chest has been shown to be very reliable using a servo instead of slamming open and closed with the forks, I could see JJP putting that back in.

#2367 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I also think there will be another run within 18 months (no insider information, just my feeling). JJP left WAY too much money on the table, and if Eric hits it out of the park again with GnR, even more people will want to own his first masterpiece, increasing demand.
But anyone that thinks that by waiting they'll get a jjPotC LE on that re-run for the original $10k pricing is dreaming. If it happens, it will be a Yellow Brick Road WoZ situation where the price is jacked up to former CE levels. Although now that the chest has been shown to be very reliable using a servo instead of slamming open and closed with the forks, I could see JJP putting that back in.

Hope you are right - at the very least it means we will get another code update finally!

#2368 4 years ago

You can still buy NIB at original pricing from Australia. Mine arrived this week and they have two left. No offense intended to Vic - that machine has nice mods and I’m sure will fetch the asking price.

#2369 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hope you are right - at the very least it means we will get another code update finally!

There's definitely another code update coming, so that's not a concern.

#2370 4 years ago

Folks, so I have a Pirates but the lockdown bar mech is really stiff i.e. when I disengage it to remove the glass it stays that way where as my other machines
the spring returns the mech.

There is still a spring on it so its not that its just so damn tight the first time I had to remove the glass it was a struggle to move it.

How does one go about adjusting the mech?

#2371 4 years ago
Quoted from jrawlinson_2000:

Folks, so I have a Pirates but the lockdown bar mech is really stiff i.e. when I disengage it to remove the glass it stays that way where as my other machines
the spring returns the mech.
There is still a spring on it so its not that its just so damn tight the first time I had to remove the glass it was a struggle to move it.
How does one go about adjusting the mech?

Turn the two brass screws on the steel piece below the lockdown bar counterclockwise. It should only need a little bit, if it's a bunch, something else is the problem.

#2372 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Just spoke with Jack. Unfortunately, there are no plans to do another run at this time. They are very busy making Wonkas, and on to the next game. Surprising and hope they change their minds down the line.

#2373 4 years ago

Recently picked up a single owner POTC. I have noticed the right side of the large LCD monitor is sliding down. It appears to be about an 1/8" low. I recall seeing this somewhere, but can't find the thread.

Anyone else have experienced this? I have not pulled the backglass to inspect just yet.

Upon further review, I just took out the back glass and I can physically move the monitor all around. Any tips on what to tighten or how to tighten it down. No way it should be that loose.

Another issues to note, on random startups I lose all lighting. I have to reset the game to get the lights to come back on.

#2374 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRyan:

Recently picked up a single owner POTC. I have noticed the right side of the large LCD monitor is sliding down. It appears to be about an 1/8" low. I recall seeing this somewhere, but can't find the thread.
Anyone else have experienced this? I have not pulled the backglass to inspect just yet.
Upon further review, I just took out the back glass and I can physically move the monitor all around. Any tips on what to tighten or how to tighten it down. No way it should be that loose.
Another issues to note, on random startups I lose all lighting. I have to reset the game to get the lights to come back on.

The monitor isn't clipped in to the steel brackets on the left and right side?

If it's clipped in and still sagging, that's the monitor arm, but I don't recall the fix. It's been brought up in this thread before or the club thread.

For the lighting, I'd check the USB connectors on the computer box and circuit board. Loose connector might do that.

#2375 4 years ago

THIS GAME will never be made again.

#2376 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

THIS GAME will never be made again.

Never say never. If the profit motive and demand are high enough, it can happen. Stern said AC/DC was done and not being made again only to turn around and vault it a year or two later.

#2378 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Never say never. If the profit motive and demand are high enough, it can happen. Stern said AC/DC was done and not being made again only to turn around and vault it a year or two later.

They only have the license for a total of 3 years, don't forget. Disney may make it cheaper if they dont' produce another POTC movie for a while, but JJP will have to re-up the license before they do another run. It definitely doesn't look good, at least in the short term, and as more time goes on, the less likely it gets. Very happy I made the leap this time.

That said, you're right - if they demand is high enough, *and* if they can make the numbers work, they will certainly make an attempt. I do think ACDC was probably a bit easier to get back on the line; a lesser BOM for sure, and a reasonable cost didn't limit the buyer pool quite as much.

IMO (and what do I know) the already high cost of POTC will make it a tough sell for a larger number of buyers.

#2379 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

IMO (and what do I know) the already high cost of POTC will make it a tough sell for a larger number of buyers.

Hard to understand the real demand for this game. There seems to be pent up demand for Pirates but at the same time games are being shipped back from AU to US. The weak AU $ makes the game even more expensive there but you’d still think they could easily sell a handful of remaining NIB. Combined with the original soft demand, this has to cause JJP some pause.

#2380 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Hard to understand the real demand for this game. There seems to be pent up demand for Pirates but at the same time games are being shipped back from AU to US. The weak AU $ makes the game even more expensive there but you’d still think they could easily sell a handful of remaining NIB. Combined with the original soft demand, this has to cause JJP some pause.

It's got to be price. the BOM is high, sales price is WAY high, and they will certainly need to increase the MSRP significantly to make a good margin. That takes out a lot of the buyers. Most people can't afford it, and those that can - half of them are going "10K? 13K?! I'm out."

#2381 4 years ago

I was in on a LE from the get go and never looked back. It is the first and only NIB I will ever buy and so glad I did. This pin is a blast and gets better the more you learn about it.
I think when the license runs out they won't make anymore "unfortunately"! And IMO the reason being would be cost of license to renew and the cost of making it.
Also, Is there a pin that disney has even let any one renew the license on?

#2382 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

You can still buy NIB at original pricing from Australia. Mine arrived this week and they have two left. No offense intended to Vic - that machine has nice mods and I’m sure will fetch the asking price.

Only 1 left - my buddy has one on the way

E3B42ACC-0B99-4D52-B4D2-5FBDD124548E (resized).jpegE3B42ACC-0B99-4D52-B4D2-5FBDD124548E (resized).jpeg
#2383 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

You have to understand that the au market is much smaller than the USA. The second hand market has been saturated with great games for the past 18 months atleast. Lots of good 2nd hand games sitting unsold with others taking months to sell atleast 1-2k under the original asking prices.

Not sure if the change in currency makes it viable for other games to be returned to the us aswell.

#2384 4 years ago

I have an extra Comet Pinball trough lighting kit that I'd like to install on POTC. Anyone know where I could pick up 6.3V under the playfield with alligator clips and save me the trouble of researching the manual?

#2385 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I have an extra Comet Pinball trough lighting kit that I'd like to install on POTC. Anyone know where I could pick up 6.3V under the playfield with alligator clips and save me the trouble of researching the manual?

Pirates is a 12v system.

#2386 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Pirates is a 12v system.

I knew the spotlights use 12V but didn't realize they didn't use 6V or something close anywhere. Thanks.

#2387 4 years ago

I have my first questions after unboxing my new POTC.

The unpacking instructions say to remove any foam behind the playfield. I didn't have any white foam blocks, just this black block that's screwed in place.

The instructions say when converting from 220 I have to change the pins. I got those out no problem, but there's also a note that the power supply should have a sliding switch on the external case. I assume that's referencing the PC power supply pictured, but I don't see any slider (sorry for the bad picture, but it's just a Corsair PC power supply).

Lastly, I found a few loose bits in the bottom. Two locking nuts, one thumb screw, and one plastic screw cover. Any ideas?

20191216_010148423_iOS (resized).jpg20191216_010148423_iOS (resized).jpg20191216_010227323_iOS (resized).jpg20191216_010227323_iOS (resized).jpg20191216_010234132_iOS (resized).jpg20191216_010234132_iOS (resized).jpg
#2388 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

just this black block that's screwed in place.

Remove it.

Quoted from bbulkley:

one thumb screw,

Holds coin mech stuff in place on the coin door.

Quoted from bbulkley:

The instructions say when converting from 220 I have to change the pins. I got those out no problem, but there's also a note that the power supply should have a sliding switch on the external case. I assume that's referencing the PC power supply pictured, but I don't see any slider (sorry for the bad picture, but it's just a Corsair PC power supply).

Contact JJP. You might need a different power supply.

#2389 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

I have my first questions after unboxing my new POTC.
The unpacking instructions say to remove any foam behind the playfield. I didn't have any white foam blocks, just this black block that's screwed in place.

Literally the first link in the first post of this thread covers this.

Quoted from bbulkley:

It seems that Corsair ATX power supplies are auto-switching, but you definitely want to run that by JJP or Corsair before plugging in with confidence.

Quoted from bbulkley:

Lastly, I found a few loose bits in the bottom. Two locking nuts, one thumb screw, and one plastic screw cover. Any ideas?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thumbscrew goes to the coin door. There should be two (one top, one bottom) on each coin chute at the very back.

Black piece looks like something that goes on the back of the pearl, maybe behind the backboard?

Nuts could be literally anything. There are dozens of these on the machine. HOWEVER, maybe you'll get lucky and they are for the dummy plate for the bill acceptor to the right of the coin chutes with the missing thumbscrew. There should be a white spacer and locking nut on each of the 4 posts (two top, two bottom) for the bill acceptor dummy plate.

coin-mech-screws (resized).jpgcoin-mech-screws (resized).jpg

#2390 4 years ago

Thanks everyone - the interweb says some VS450 power supplies take 110-240 and others take 220-240. I might need to pull this one to see if there are any markings.

#2391 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

Thanks everyone - the interweb says some VS450 power supplies take 110-240 and others take 220-240. I might need to pull this one to see if there are any markings.

Whatever you find out, post when you have it solved authoritatively (model number of the power supply if you get it would be good, also) and I'll add your post to the index of issues as there are a few that are bringing jjPotC back from overseas and might need the information.

#2392 4 years ago

The official word from JJP is that some power supplies have a sliding switch, but the Corsair does not. In my case I don't need to worry about it, but it's impossible to predict when a machine might use a different power supply.

#2393 4 years ago

It’s also worth noting that the conversion requires more changes than just the Molex pins. JJP recommends buying the correct parts from them rather than modifying the existing power supply. So that’s what I’m doing.

#2394 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

It’s also worth noting that the conversion requires more changes than just the Molex pins. JJP recommends buying the correct parts from them rather than modifying the existing power supply. So that’s what I’m doing.

What things not covered on the conversion page in the manual are required?

#2395 4 years ago

From JJP: "The Euro power box does not have a US service outlet in it (for powering a soldering iron or light, when you're working on the machine). The varistor and thermistor inside the power box also have to be changed for use in the US, as does the line fuse - different voltage and current safety limits for the two configurations."

I'm glad Butch at JJP was so helpful - I might have damaged my machine otherwise!

#2396 4 years ago
Quoted from bbulkley:

From JJP: "The Euro power box does not have a US service outlet in it (for powering a soldering iron or light, when you're working on the machine). The varistor and thermistor inside the power box also have to be changed for use in the US, as does the line fuse - different voltage and current safety limits for the two configurations."
I'm glad Butch at JJP was so helpful - I might have damaged my machine otherwise!

Butch is the guy that does the incredible job on JJP manuals (by FAR the best in the business, bar none), so I would hope that this information makes its way to an updated conversion page in the JJP manuals.

#2397 4 years ago

Motherboard Kicktaps are going out tomorrow. I had to delay them to get the instructions a little more clear. This is the final version:

KICKTAP Installation Instructions-FINAL (resized).jpgKICKTAP Installation Instructions-FINAL (resized).jpg
#2398 4 years ago

I already ordered. Thanks for the detailed instructions. We all appreciate it.

#2399 4 years ago

Anybody know the size of the threaded posts that have a threaded part up top? They are all over the playfield. Thanks!

#2400 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Anybody know the size of the threaded posts that have a threaded part up top?

Page C-135 in the manual.

You can download it from jerseyjackpinball.com - Support - Downloads - Pirates.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 38.00
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/48 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.