8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 71.
#2251 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Talking of crazy shots. I managed to get the dauntless to shoot back at the black pearl (kinda). Got a multiball going. Ball coming in hot from inlane and loses no momentum on flip. Up maelstrom ramp hit diverter and had so much speed it went Over the top and hit bp

Nice! What if they’d built it so cannons were on both the Pearl and Dauntless to load and fire at each other? Have them both rocking and fire at the same time at each other with a big jackpot if both shots hit the bullseye.

#2252 4 years ago

I found these in the cabinet under the playfield. Anyone know what the knarled screw or others might go to?

B54426A1-4B7B-4C6F-8CA3-CBC7D3C9489B (resized).jpegB54426A1-4B7B-4C6F-8CA3-CBC7D3C9489B (resized).jpeg
#2253 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

I found these in the cabinet under the playfield. Anyone know what the knarled screw or others might go to?[quoted image]

the thumb screw goes in the coin door to hold the coin mech alignment bar (not really sure what it is called) in place. the other one looks like a standoff or spacer for under a board or switch.

#2254 4 years ago

I thought the standoff were a lot shorter than that. Maybe one of the sliders for a pop up post or chest mech?

#2255 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

I found these in the cabinet under the playfield. Anyone know what the knarled screw or others might go to?[quoted image]

The Star Map board uses plastic spacers but the one in your pic looks a little long.

#2256 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

the thumb screw goes in the coin door to hold the coin mech alignment bar (not really sure what it is called) in place. the other one looks like a standoff or spacer for under a board or switch.

Thanks! I see 2 of the thumb screws in place on the coin door mech, is there more than that?

#2257 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Thanks! I see 2 of the thumb screws in place on the coin door mech, is there more than that?

I think there are a total of 4, two at the top of the coin mechs, 2 at the bottom.

#2258 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

I think there are a total of 4, two at the top of the coin mechs, 2 at the bottom.

Yup, that's it, thanks! One thumb screw was missing. I'm looking through the pop up mechs for the rest

#2259 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Looks like a similar assortment of loose parts found in my POTCLE cabinet right out of the box. Never did figure out where most of the parts came from, but the game plays fine after much tweaking and repairing. I think my game was built on Friday afternoon by a stoned high school kid or something. Hope their quality control is better with Wonka, no more new JJPs for me

#2260 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Yup, that's it, thanks! One thumb screw was missing. I'm looking through the pop up mechs for the rest

Pretty sure the spacer and screw are used to hold in the pop bumper spinner motor.

#2261 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Look underneath where the mechanism that holds and allows forks slide up and down under the chest. On each side there is 2 screw and spacer setup as guides for the fork to go up and down...check it out!

#2262 4 years ago

Figured out why my Pearl keeps cutting out -

Several of the wires (and mostly the Ethernet cable) are slowly being severed by the movement of the ship. I’m going to have to reroute them somehow, or at least tie them down better. Great...

#2263 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Figured out why my Pearl keeps cutting out -
Several of the wires (and mostly the Ethernet cable) are slowly being severed by the movement of the ship. I’m going to have to reroute them somehow, or at least tie them down better. Great...

I saw this on one and it caused a short which burned up the flipper spring like a fuse.

I recommend running some 1 inch wire loom from the underside to protect that whole loom.
As a side bonus it plugs this hole and keeps it from being a place for balls to stick.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J7QT3CY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

IMG_0802.jpegIMG_0802.jpeg
#2264 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I saw this on one and it caused a short which burned up the flipper spring like a fuse.
I recommend running some 1 inch wire loom from the underside to protect that whole loom.
As a side bonus it plugs this hole and keeps it from being a place for balls to stick.
amazon.com link »[quoted image]

I believe it. The lights flicker and eventually cut out when I use the right flipper. Now where’s that Pearl removal video..

#2265 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Pretty sure the spacer and screw are used to hold in the pop bumper spinner motor.

I’ll check it out, thanks!

#2266 4 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

Look underneath where the mechanism that holds and allows forks slide up and down under the chest. On each side there is 2 screw and spacer setup as guides for the fork to go up and down...check it out!

I installed the chest mod, so familiar with that area. I have 2 screws&spacers with white plastic washers on one side of the fork lift. The other side has 2 empty holes to mount, but no screws and spacers like on the other side.

#2267 4 years ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

The other side has 2 empty holes to mount, but no screws and spacers like on the other side.

Laying in the bottom of the cabinet somewhere.

LTG : )

#2268 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Laying in the bottom of the cabinet somewhere.

I’ll get in there and look around for more. Thank you!

#2269 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

My 2X target leans backwards too much. The problem is that I can’t just readjust the holding bracket as it is already touching the subway (it’s starting to crack from the force). I’ve bent it as much as possible but it just keeps being back.
I’m considering making a small clip that uses the ramp metal for extra support.
Any other ideas?

So I spent some time and firstly tried just bending the main support. Held it in a vice and bent the rear support, reinstalled and gave it a test.

9F1B9D3E-F2D5-4E3E-9AEB-3BD0EED68DBF (resized).jpeg9F1B9D3E-F2D5-4E3E-9AEB-3BD0EED68DBF (resized).jpeg
As it doesn't have a rib all the way down it quickly returned to creating airballs within about 4 shots!

A clip it is then!

As this particular switch is very close to the subway there is no room for a normal switch splint (ie. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3022038 ). Instead I've made the modification to this support ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3874421 ) so that it holds on via the existing playfield connected, vertical ramp support

I also loosened off that specific ramp support screw so any transmitted switch force doesn't crack my ramp.

D803EF1F-0507-40D3-8E5C-1B7FA6FE24BA (resized).jpegD803EF1F-0507-40D3-8E5C-1B7FA6FE24BA (resized).jpegD314C715-D0E4-4264-A44C-CCCAFB4066F5 (resized).jpegD314C715-D0E4-4264-A44C-CCCAFB4066F5 (resized).jpegE18935C3-8E26-4528-96E9-81005FB9532D (resized).jpegE18935C3-8E26-4528-96E9-81005FB9532D (resized).jpeg

Added over 4 years ago:

thingiverse download link : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3969326

#2270 4 years ago

So I have been trying to fix my chest forks and have isolated the issue but am unsure how to proceed.

They will work once or twice when I reset them but then will get stuck in the up position fairly quickly. In the image attached I have circled the part that is getting stuck off alignment.

Any recommendations on how to proceed? I am still new at troubleshooting this and am slightly in over my head.

09CE1A4E-ED6C-45ED-A548-DD8D9DCA6299 (resized).jpeg09CE1A4E-ED6C-45ED-A548-DD8D9DCA6299 (resized).jpegB99E03FD-39F2-4491-8F13-8BA420927388 (resized).jpegB99E03FD-39F2-4491-8F13-8BA420927388 (resized).jpeg
#2271 4 years ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

So I have been trying to fix my chest forks and have isolated the issue but am unsure how to proceed.
They will work once or twice when I reset them but then will get stuck in the up position fairly quickly. In the image attached I have circled the part that is getting stuck off alignment.
Any recommendations on how to proceed? I am still new at troubleshooting this and am slightly in over my head.[quoted image][quoted image]

That's just a small relay that pulls in the metal plate. I think it allows the fork assembly to drop by gravity when pulled in. The only thing that I can think of is to go into coil test menu and activate it several times to see if you can see what's happening. You can push the fork assembly down by hand since it won't drop with the playfield up. I'd also test the main coil that pushes the forks up to see if the assembly is moving properly/smoothly. Lloyd may have more/better advise.

#2272 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

That's just a small relay that pulls in the metal plate. I think it allows the fork assembly to drop by gravity when pulled in. The only thing that I can think of is to go into coil test menu and activate it several times to see if you can see what's happening. You can push the fork assembly down by hand since it won't drop with the playfield up. I'd also test the main coil that pushes the forks up to see if the assembly is moving properly/smoothly. Lloyd may have more/better advise.

Thanks for the input. I will try coil tests with the Playfield down and see if I can see anything. The assembly runs smooth when I get that plate in the right spot. That plate keeps jumping out of alignment where those two springs are.

#2273 4 years ago
Quoted from JRBBRJ:

Thanks for the input. I will try coil tests with the Playfield down and see if I can see anything. The assembly runs smooth when I get that plate in the right spot. That plate keeps jumping out of alignment where those two springs are.

Looks like the curved piece and the smaller teeth should be creating a pivot point for the edge of the flap.

So maybe the smaller teeth on either side need to be bent slightly so the flap stops jumping out?

2 weeks later
#2274 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Looks like the curved piece and the smaller teeth should be creating a pivot point for the edge of the flap.
So maybe the smaller teeth on either side need to be bent slightly so the flap stops jumping out?

This was close to the solution, thanks for the recommendation. I also posed this question to Jersey jack support and they recommend bending the tynne (curved piece).

Ultimately I had two problems. The plate was too high and it was jumping out of alignment. I had to make the tynne curl a little more to push down the plate. Then bend it back slightly to prevent metal flap from jumping. This set the plate into the correct alignment to work.

#2275 4 years ago

My pirates died last night. When you power it on, the lights flicker once and then... Nothing. No boot cycle, nada. How screwed am I?

#2276 4 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

My pirates died last night. When you power it on, the lights flicker once and then... Nothing. No boot cycle, nada. How screwed am I?

Did you check the power connector in back of the cabinet? They often wiggle loose/intermittent if not secured.

If that's fine, are there any lights on behind the backglass on the computer board or power supply?

#2277 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check the power connector in back of the cabinet? They often wiggle loose/intermittent if not secured.
If that's fine, are there any lights on behind the backglass on the computer board or power supply?

Lots and lots of red lights.

IMG_20191128_194814971 (resized).jpgIMG_20191128_194814971 (resized).jpg
#2278 4 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

Lots and lots of red lights.[quoted image]

That's a good sign. Those red lights mean there's no fuses out there. On the right side of that big circuit board, centered almost top to bottom at the right end of the two rows of transistors there's a very large rectangular chip with a red led on the left side of it. Is that blinking?

If so, the next step is to take the cover off the computer box above that board and see what lights you see on the computer motherboard (if any).

#2279 4 years ago

My pirates won't power up anymore either. Just hums and the red lights in the backbox come on, but no power. Could the power supply be faulty?

#2280 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

My pirates won't power up anymore either. Just hums and the red lights in the backbox come on, but no power. Could the power supply be faulty?

Hard to say. You need to take it step by step to get to the root of the problem. Is the LED next to the rectangular chip flashing on yours? Have you take the cover off the Computer motherboard box?

#2281 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I could be off base on this, but just in case...

WOZ has a weird thing where sometimes it doesn’t boot. The boards power up, but the PC does not. (The PC fan doesn’t spin etc.) The fix is to jump two pins which causes the PC to boot and all is well.

Any chance that is going on here? Is the PC fan spinning when you power up? (Behind the metal cover)

#2282 4 years ago
Quoted from jcoble:

My pirates died last night. When you power it on, the lights flicker once and then... Nothing. No boot cycle, nada.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

My pirates won't power up anymore either. Just hums and the red lights in the backbox come on, but no power.

Please try jump starting the mother board. Briefly short the two pins circled in the picture.

moboreset (resized).jpgmoboreset (resized).jpg
#2283 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Please try jump starting the mother board. Briefly short the two pins circled in the picture.

Lyod,
I cannot find those on my MOBO. Is it possible that the one you have pictured is different than mine?

#2284 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Any chance that is going on here? Is the PC fan spinning when you power up? (Behind the metal cover)

The PC fan does not turn on. So that would lead me to believe that the PC power supply is dead or no power is getting up there.

#2285 4 years ago

Here's what I'm working with. Which pins do I need to jump?

20191128_210803 (resized).jpg20191128_210803 (resized).jpg
#2286 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Here's what I'm working with. Which pins do I need to jump?

Please check if you have these.

Thank you,
Lloyd

jumpstart (resized).jpgjumpstart (resized).jpg
#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Here's what I'm working with. Which pins do I need to jump?[quoted image]

Short/jumper the second and third pin from the top on the left column here (JFP1). It also looks like you have a bent pin in that block. Make sure it's not touching anything.

JJP really needs to put a momentary switch on the outside of the CPU case since this is not an unheard of issue. I had it with WoZ and forgot all about it until now.

reset motherboard (resized).jpgreset motherboard (resized).jpg

#2288 4 years ago

Yes I see that one. So I need to contact pin 8 to 6?

#2289 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It also looks like you have a bent pin in that block. Make sure it's not touching anything.

It's not bent. I think it just appears that way from the angle of the photo. I just want to make sure I jump the right connectors.

#2290 4 years ago

That fixed it! You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping me.

#2291 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Short/jumper the second and third pin from the top on the left column here (JFP1). It also looks like you have a bent pin in that block. Make sure it's not touching anything.
JJP really needs to put a momentary switch on the outside of the CPU case since this is not an unheard of issue. I had it with WoZ and forgot all about it until now.
[quoted image]

This is why I love Pinside. PinMonk and LTG helped solve a MAJOR heart ache. Two questions though... what made this occur? And why did a momentary jumper fix this?
I'd like to understand.

You guys are awesome!
Murphy

#2292 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

This is why I love Pinside. PinMonk and LTG helped solve a MAJOR heart ache. Two questions though... what made this occur? And why did a momentary jumper fix this?
I'd like to understand.
You guys are awesome!
Murphy

My guess is it has to do with the pc mobo's "resume after power failure option" setting in bios.

This normally allows this pc mobo to be used in an embedded fashion without requiring a power switch. As it will remember the previous state (which was powered on).

You weren't actually touching a "jumper" rather closing the two connections that the normal pc on/off switch that would have been connected to a power on button. This allows the mobo to boot. After which it will remember its "resume after power failure" option once more.

#2293 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

That fixed it! You guys are awesome. Thanks for helping me.

So you just turned the machine on and touched those 2 pins with a single wire? Just jump starting a car or something?

Is the machine now working like nothing ever happened?

Did you leave the wire in there?

#2294 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

So you just turned the machine on and touched those 2 pins with a single wire? Just jump starting a car or something?

Is the machine now working like nothing ever happened?

I used a small flat head screwdriver and carefully touched the pins together. The PC instantly powered up. I restarted the game a few times and played a few games, it's been working normally.

Two questions though... what made this occur? And why did a momentary jumper fix this?
I'd like to understand.

I technically don't know what made this occur, but I think I know what triggered it. We had family over for Thanksgiving and my sister pretty much cut her kids loose when she arrived. They are wild and instantly commenced molesting everything they could get their hands on. I went downstairs and found them unsupervised and fast toggling the power switches. I suppose they enjoying the popping sounds they make. I unplugged them and told them to get away from the games since they aren't interested in actually playing them. Later, when everyone left, I tried to power them all on to make sure everything was okay, and that's when noticed pirates would not power on.

#2295 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

IMmy sister pretty much cut her kids loose when she arrived. They are wild and instantly commenced molesting everything they could get their hands on.

My sister-in-law suddenly popped into my head HAHAHAHAHAHA

#2296 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

We had family over for Thanksgiving and my sister pretty much cut her kids loose when she arrived.

OMG. I'm way too OCD to allow any unsupervised around our pins. You've got faith. Glad to hear everything worked out in the end.

#2297 4 years ago

Two questions though... what made this occur? And why did a momentary jumper fix this?

The momentary jumper simulated the push button on a computer. Power supplies don't start on their own anymore. The motherboard starts them. So when you jump start the mother board, you start the power supply up and off you go.

The problem can happen on it's own, kind of rare. The usual cause is turning the game on, and then back off before it is fully booted up. Happens a lot around the holidays when people not familiar with pinball get at your games. That is why we don't see too much of it and then all of a sudden a run on it.

#2298 4 years ago

Thanks Lloyd! : )

#2299 4 years ago

OMG. I'm way too OCD to allow any unsupervised around our pins. You've got faith. Glad to hear everything worked out in the end

Well, I really didn't allow it. They ended up down there unsupervised without my knowledge. I can't keep up with were everyone's at every given minute. Plus my old man brought his laptop over for me to fix, as usual, so I was preoccupied with that at the time.

#2300 4 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Well, I really didn't allow it. They ended up down there unsupervised without my knowledge. I can't keep up with were everyone's at every given minute. Plus my old man brought his laptop over for me to fix, as usual, so I was preoccupied with that at the time.

Glad the machine came back. Kids beating on my pins stress me out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Electronics
Skillshot Combo
Electronics
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 46 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/46?hl=izzy24 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.