8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 71.
#2051 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

How so? A simplistic version already exists in the settings menu when testing the camera (it’s how I figured Ironman kept getting high scores when my son was playing!).
For end users it wouldn’t be hard to understand. Games like Mario kart arcade do it.
I do agree the surprise of the random hat/eye patch is great. Wish it would stay on the screen longer.

In general, people are dumb, especially in bars. Just the trauma of navigating the instructions of entering a high score is exhausting enough, adding another layer once you've succeeded in entering three letters would be too much.

#2052 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

In general, people are dumb, especially in bars. Just the trauma of navigating the instructions of entering a high score is exhausting enough, adding another layer once you've succeeded in entering three letters would be too much.

Which is why I set my games to three letters. More than that and they spend forever trying to spell words and make a message that fits.

LTG : )

#2053 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

When powering the pin it sometimes (not often, but regurlarly) happens to me that the complete GI is out and not working. Switching off and starting again normally solves the issue, but does not explain the reason. Any experience in this regard?

Think this has been ongoing on JJP machines. My WOZ does it on occasion, and a reboot brings everything back. I don't think there's been a real investigation as to its cause.

#2054 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Which is why I set my games to three letters. More than that and they spend forever trying to spell words and make a message that fits.

ABSOLUTELY. More than 3 is asking for trouble.

#2055 4 years ago
Quoted from apinballwiz:

Think this has been ongoing on JJP machines. My WOZ does it on occasion, and a reboot brings everything back. I don't think there's been a real investigation as to its cause.

Stern Spike machines fail a power-on boot sometimes, too.

1 week later
#2056 4 years ago

Any ideas what could be causing the below video?

Basically after one game the screen goes to crap with artifacts and lines all over it. It's better after reboot, but then slowly comes back. Not sure if it the monitor or CPU or video card etc?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCogvz4v6eYHLe5c9

#2057 4 years ago
Quoted from Lancelin2k14:

Any ideas what could be causing the below video?
Basically after one game the screen goes to crap with artifacts and lines all over it. It's better after reboot, but then slowly comes back. Not sure if it the monitor or CPU or video card etc?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/dCogvz4v6eYHLe5c9

Easiest way to determine, plug another monitor in. Or TV. Also, of course, make sure all the cables are seated properly in the game. Might try doing a firmware reload on it as well. I would vote for video card issue on the motherboard, but just a guess.

#2058 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Easiest way to determine, plug another monitor in. Or TV. Also, of course, make sure all the cables are seated properly in the game. Might try doing a firmware reload on it as well. I would vote for video card issue on the motherboard, but just a guess.

Good idea. I plugged my laptop in to the monitor and it's still doing it, so I guess it's either the monitor or the power source to the monitor.

#2059 4 years ago
Quoted from Lancelin2k14:

Good idea. I plugged my laptop in to the monitor and it's still doing it, so I guess it's either the monitor or the power source to the monitor.

how technical are you? if you pull the monitor from the mount and lay it facedown on a towel, then remove the cover where the video input comes in. check to make sure the internal cables are secure. i had one monitor where the internal idc connector was coming up just a bit and it was causing issues with the monitor too.

#2060 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

how technical are you? if you pull the monitor from the mount and lay it facedown on a towel, then remove the cover where the video input comes in. check to make sure the internal cables are secure. i had one monitor where the internal idc connector was coming up just a bit and it was causing issues with the monitor too.

Ok, I will give that a go too. Thanks!

#2061 4 years ago

Hey folks! I'd like to upgrade from .98 to .99 today. I've followed the JJP directions and used UNETBOOTIN to transfer the code onto a USB stick. I've used a 16GB only stick per JJP's advice.
The thing is, when I check the contents of the USB stick when it's finished.... there's a lot of different files on there. I'm worried that some of that is non essential, but
I'm guessing everyone that has done this could help enlighten me.

The entire thing went flawlessly on the transfer, and worked exactly how the JJP tutorial screens said it should.
Thoughts or advice before I take the plunge and plug in the USB?
Thanks in advance.
Murphy

#2062 4 years ago

Double Post. Sorry.

#2063 4 years ago
Quoted from MurphyPeoples:

Hey folks! I'd like to upgrade from .98 to .99 today. I've followed the JJP directions and used UNETBOOTIN to transfer the code onto a USB stick. I've used a 16GB only stick per JJP's advice.
The thing is, when I check the contents of the USB stick when it's finished.... there's a lot of different files on there. I'm worried that some of that is non essential, but
I'm guessing everyone that has done this could help enlighten me.
The entire thing went flawlessly on the transfer, and worked exactly how the JJP tutorial screens said it should.
Thoughts or advice before I take the plunge and plug in the USB?
Thanks in advance.
Murphy

Just try it - if the game doesn’t recognize the files on the drive, it won’t do the upgrade. I’ve not had to upgrade POTC but TH and WOZ and DI all use the same upgrade process.

#2064 4 years ago

Good morning Lloyd, Just encountered this yesterday and today. My wife would get ball to BP and the VUK would try to shoot up to mini playfield but doesn't ....sounds like it's hitting something.

VUK is set to 18 set by Gary at Abel Electronics.

Also, the ball gets stuck on that wire diverter on right ramp when it exits ramp or not enough speed to come down. They need to figure out a fix as it just happened now and my wife moved over to GB.

Thanks for your help.

#2065 4 years ago

Also, The ball gets stuck here.   I have to lift BP, up then pull it forward.  This happens from time to time.   JJP sent me the brackets from underneath the BP, but haven't installed them yet.  What do you think it could be causing this problem?

IMG-4681 (resized).JPGIMG-4681 (resized).JPGIMG-4682 (resized).JPGIMG-4682 (resized).JPGIMG-4683 (resized).JPGIMG-4683 (resized).JPG
#2066 4 years ago

here's where it always gets stuck on the Gate. They need to do a Service Bulletin Fix for this as this is very frustrating.

IMG-4672 (resized).JPGIMG-4672 (resized).JPG
#2067 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Also, The ball gets stuck here.   I have to lift BP, up then pull it forward.  This happens from time to time.   JJP sent me the brackets from underneath the BP, but haven't installed them yet.  What do you think it could be causing this problem?

Go to Page One of this Thread. Look at the first post in the Section Titled "Ship Related Problems". See Item #5 under "Ship Related Problems". You need to adjust your ramp. It will solve issues with both the BP ball getting stuck, and the Wire Form. Takes all of about 1 minute. : )
Murphy

#2068 4 years ago

Double Post. Sorry> that's twice today! I have brain fog I guess.

#2069 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Also, The ball gets stuck here.   I have to lift BP, up then pull it forward.  This happens from time to time.   JJP sent me the brackets from underneath the BP, but haven't installed them yet.  What do you think it could be causing this problem?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

To me this is more of a design issue with the pearl. The rear bracket can easily bend upwards which makes it easy for the pearl to me backwards, particularly when lifting the play field.

Harry Houdini has added some washers in front of the rear bracket bolt to keep it in the most forward position; i
May try this as well.

#2070 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

here's where it always gets stuck on the Gate. They need to do a Service Bulletin Fix for this as this is very frustrating.[quoted image]

The ramp needs to be angled slightly to the right. See that nut on the right slightly out of focus below the spotlight? That's what's holding the ramp on. Tighten that a turn or two and it will drop the ramp on the right side.

#2071 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Thanks for your help.

Hi Tony

Get the new support brackets in there. When you put the black pearl back in, be sure it's the whole way forward then tighten down the allen head bolt in the back. And you may need to tighten down the screw holding the ramp to the hex post on the right side that squeezes the rubber grommet so the ramp leans a little to the right. See attached picture, the red arrow points to the screw.

When you put the brackets in, check that nothing is obstructing the VUK going up. Be sure the gate the ball passes up through moves freely. ( this gate prevents a ball dropping off the black pearl from going back into the VUK ) and in Settings - Coils - try making that VUK stronger.

Thank you,

DSC00679 (resized).JPGDSC00679 (resized).JPG
#2072 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can toss a nut down the coil sleeve. That would limit the plunger travel. Works great on coils that are straight up or down when the game is being played. And if you ever work on it, you might remember why it's in there. If you stick a longer plunger in there and some day replace the plunger, you'll likely forget a longer one is in there and put the original one back in and have the problem again.
LTG : )[quoted image][quoted image]

I am going to give this fix a try this week; I will post my luck about it later (probably 3 weeks from now). Thank you for sharing!

#2073 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Get the new support brackets in there.

Haven't heard about this yet Lloyd. Were new brackets sent out?

#2074 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Haven't heard about this yet Lloyd. Were new brackets sent out?

Very few of the first games needed new brackets. Maybe less than 20. No other game needs them. I'm sure yours and all other don't. This issue has long since passed.

#2075 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Very few of the first games needed new brackets. Maybe less than 20. No other game needs them. I'm sure yours and all other don't. This issue has long since passed.

Ah, that would have been nice to know when trying to help folks troubleshoot this same issue (posted a page or two back).

#2076 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

To me this is more of a design issue with the pearl. The rear bracket can easily bend upwards which makes it easy for the pearl to me backwards, particularly when lifting the play field.
Harry Houdini has added some washers in front of the rear bracket bolt to keep it in the most forward position; i
May try this as well.

this is the type of issue which happens on ALL games, and is why these things are designed with a tolerance so you can adjust

#2077 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Good morning Lloyd, Just encountered this yesterday and today. My wife would get ball to BP and the VUK would try to shoot up to mini playfield but doesn't ....sounds like it's hitting something.
VUK is set to 18 set by Gary at Abel Electronics.
Also, the ball gets stuck on that wire diverter on right ramp when it exits ramp or not enough speed to come down. They need to figure out a fix as it just happened now and my wife moved over to GB.
Thanks for your help.

I have the exact same issue! With the added bonus of the ball getting lost when it’s released by the rear magnet. It’s supposed to drop into the subway that feeds the VUK but nothing happens for about a minute. Game goes into search mode like crazy!

After a while the ball is eventually placed in the VUK but it can’t shoot the ball up into the BP! It tries 2 times then the ball mysteriously ends up wedged on the underside of the BP! WTF????

I too have the same huge gap you have between the Ship and the ramp
12BA994B-CBAF-4CD7-B915-59C5C32D79AD (resized).jpeg12BA994B-CBAF-4CD7-B915-59C5C32D79AD (resized).jpeg3C818A11-F287-46A4-8292-AEF944EE91E3 (resized).jpeg3C818A11-F287-46A4-8292-AEF944EE91E3 (resized).jpeg3FCB0762-AD8D-402E-A921-CDD1474AD61C (resized).jpeg3FCB0762-AD8D-402E-A921-CDD1474AD61C (resized).jpeg

#2078 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did any of the le’s ever need them then? In Australia we seem to be quite early in the production cycle.

#2079 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

I have the exact same issue! With the added bonus of the ball getting lost when it’s released by the rear magnet. It’s supposed to drop into the subway that feeds the VUK but nothing happens for about a minute. Game goes into search mode like crazy!
After a while the ball is eventually placed in the VUK but it can’t shoot the ball up into the BP! It tries 2 times then the ball mysteriously ends up wedged on the underside of the BP! WTF????
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you ever find out what it needed to get fixed?

I haven't looked underneath yet, but my ball will try to shoot up through the VUK 2 times, then get shot out/ejected from another area....just can't remember where the ball came out after the failed attempts in VUK

#2080 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Did you ever find out what it needed to get fixed?
I haven't looked underneath yet, but my ball will try to shoot up through the VUK 2 times, then get shot out/ejected from another area....just can't remember where the ball came out after the failed attempts in VUK

Not yet. I pulled the ship the other day and will investigate this week. I’ll post my findings.....

#2081 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Dang. How’d you ever even find that lol.

#2082 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Did any of the le’s ever need them then? In Australia we seem to be quite early in the production cycle.

No.

#2083 4 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Dang. How’d you ever even find that lol.

It took a good long while! It has happened like 5 times already. I pulled the ship out of the game and will start my investigation this week. To be continued....

#2084 4 years ago

my eyes must be going bad, anyone know what page the BP playfield diagram is?

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/potc/POTC_Manual%202_0%20November%202018.pdf

#2085 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

my eyes must be going bad, anyone know what page the BP playfield diagram is?
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/potc/POTC_Manual%202_0%20November%202018.pdf

Which diagram? Assemblies start on C-7. There are diagrams for various components, if you're looking for coils or plastics or lighting, etc. on different pages/sections.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

It took a good long while! It has happened like 5 times already. I pulled the ship out of the game and will start my investigation this week. To be continued....

I thought you mentioned that the gate on the VUK was sticking?

#2086 4 years ago

Which diagram? Assemblies start on C-7. There are diagrams for various components, if you're looking for coils or plastics or lighting, etc. on different pages/sections.

I thought you mentioned that the gate on the VUK was sticking?

Well, I used a pen and tried moving it when it was still behind the Ship and I felt some resistance but the angle was pretty awkward for me to be 100% sure. Now with stuff out of the game, I will test the magnet and see why the ball gets lost. Then I will figure out if the VUK gate is at fault or not.

#2087 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Well, I used a pen to try moving it when it was still behind the Ship and I felt some resistance but the angle was pretty awkward for me to be 100% sure. Now with stuff out of the game, I will test the magnet and see why the ball gets lost. Then I will figure out if the VUK gate is at fault or not.

I don't see how the magnet would be at fault for the ball ending up on top of the plastic under the BP. Th issue is the VUK doesn't launch the ball on to the BP and then it ends up getting stuck there, right?

Sure sounds like there is either a restriction on the VUK or the ball is hitting something and/or the VUK coil needs more power (which would seem odd compared to what most people convey). The magnet only stops the ball around the loop to drop it in to the hole which leads to the VUK. Once it is in there the magnet has nothing to do with it.

#2088 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The ramp needs to be angled slightly to the right. See that nut on the right slightly out of focus below the spotlight? That's what's holding the ramp on. Tighten that a turn or two and it will drop the ramp on the right side.

To get a sufficient drop, angling the ramp slightly to the right created an uneven transition from the ramp to the Black Pearl on my game. I could get it working with delicate tweaking but still the problem kept recurring. It created a resting point for the ball between the ship and the ramp for slow moving balls to catch.

Here's an alternative fix that doesn't involve the angle of the ramp:

I just raised the left side of the wire gate and no more tweaking. It's impossible to manually rest the ball on the gate, and there is no uneven-ness between the upper pf and the ramp to allow the ball to sit. I used removable adhesive to secure the left side of the gate higher up. Gravity will always bring the ball back down.
2019-09-15 14.42.40 (resized).jpg2019-09-15 14.42.40 (resized).jpg

#2089 4 years ago

I don't see how the magnet would be at fault for the ball ending up on top of the plastic under the BP. Th issue is the VUK doesn't launch the ball on to the BP and then it ends up getting stuck there, right?
Sure sounds like there is either a restriction on the VUK or the ball is hitting something and/or the VUK coil needs more power (which would seem odd compared to what most people convey). The magnet only stops the ball around the loop to drop it in to the hole which leads to the VUK. Once it is in there the magnet has nothing to do with it.

Agree. The problem is not the magnet, the ball gets lost when the magnet releases the ball. The ball is supposed to go into the subway that feeds the VUK. This is where the ball is getting lost. Not sure if the ball just hangs outside the subway for a while or if it’s getting stuck in the subway somewhere, somehow.

#2090 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Agree. The problem is not the magnet, the ball gets lost when the magnet releases the ball. The ball is supposed to go into the subway that feeds the VUK. This is where the ball is getting lost. Not sure if the ball just hangs outside the subway for a while or if it’s getting stuck in the subway somewhere, somehow.

I believe this issue was covered several times in these threads but from memory you start with making sure your game is level left to right, Not pitched to steep 6.7 ish (balls don’t run uphill in VUK trough) and adjust or shim the clear plastic trough flap so the ball rolls towards the vuk. Fairly certain others documented this fix in detail just didn’t find it. Good luck

#2091 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I believe this issue was covered several times in these threads but from memory you start with making sure your game is level left to right, Not pitched to steep 6.7 ish (balls don’t run uphill in VUK trough) and adjust or shim the clear plastic trough flap so the ball rolls towards the vuk. Fairly certain others documented this fix in detail just didn’t find it. Good luck

Really interested in the adjustment of the clear plastic subway. We’ll search for it. Thanks!

#2092 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Really interested in the adjustment of the clear plastic subway. We’ll search for it. Thanks!

I know for mine there is a straight (about 1” wide) flap on the clear subway. That flap did not lay flat against the metal VUK rather it was raised a bit not letting the ball on occasion roll back. For me, I pulled it and using a hair dryer used a bit of heat to lightly bend it down. Reinstalled and never an issue again. Others I believe simply added washers or the front corners to taper it back mechanically. Hope this helps.

#2093 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I know for mine there is a straight (about 1” wide) flap on the clear subway. That flap did not lay flat against the metal VUK rather it was raised a bit not letting the ball on occasion roll back. For me, I pulled it and using a hair dryer used a bit of heat to lightly bend it down. Reinstalled and never an issue again. Others I believe simply added washers or the front corners to taper it back mechanically. Hope this helps.

Yes it does. Thank you!

#2094 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

To get a sufficient drop, angling the ramp slightly to the right created an uneven transition from the ramp to the Black Pearl on my game. I could get it working with delicate tweaking but still the problem kept recurring. It created a resting point for the ball between the ship and the ramp for slow moving balls to catch.
I just raised the left side of the wire gate and no more tweaking. It's impossible to manually rest the ball on the gate, and there is no uneven-ness between the upper pf and the ramp to allow the ball to sit. I used removable adhesive to secure the left side of the gate higher up. Gravity will always bring the ball back down.
[quoted image]

Nice fix.

I spent an hour tonight working on making a support. I’m only a beginner in fusion 360 so I thought this would be a practical learning experience. It’s just a simple arm that sits over the hex post.

A813664C-7884-4B2A-89A4-F24B52AF8C61 (resized).jpegA813664C-7884-4B2A-89A4-F24B52AF8C61 (resized).jpeg

C9D70A15-6572-43A6-8C2A-B999752D6120 (resized).jpegC9D70A15-6572-43A6-8C2A-B999752D6120 (resized).jpeg

BE49D9DF-6991-47D7-93D9-641A6A4CD617 (resized).jpegBE49D9DF-6991-47D7-93D9-641A6A4CD617 (resized).jpeg

51EC822C-A003-458A-91EB-097617A884F2 (resized).jpeg51EC822C-A003-458A-91EB-097617A884F2 (resized).jpeg

It’s passive and doesn’t need screws or anything else to hold it.
First test and it fits great and actually holds the ramp at the best angle! It’s near invisible to see it through the ramp so that’s a plus too! Just needs some refinement on the end where it touches the black pearl. I’ll probably make it loop up near the opto.0

I’ll put it on thingiverse when it’s good enough.

#2095 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Nice fix.
I spent an hour tonight working on making a support. I’m only a beginner in fusion 360 so I thought this would be a practical learning experience. It’s just a simple arm that sits over the hex post.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
First test and it fits great and actually holds the ramp at the best angle! It’s near invisible to see it through the ramp so that’s a plus too! Just needs some refinement on the end where it touches the black pearl. I’ll probably make it loop up near the opto.0

F yeah brother! Nice job!

#2096 4 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

[quoted image]

If I understand you correctly, you are putting tape underneath right side of bracket that holds the gate? I assume the angle would be the same and the ball would still hang up.

I believe the gate if we could move it up a 1/4 inch toward BP, that would do it, but don't think we can.

#2097 4 years ago
Quoted from koops:

Nice fix.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

NICEE! If you need any testing let me know, happy to print one out and see how it works for me. Maybe the left side could be adjustable.

#2098 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

If I understand you correctly, you are putting tape underneath right side of bracket that holds the gate? I assume the angle would be the same and the ball would still hang up.
I believe the gate if we could move it up a 1/4 inch toward BP, that would do it, but don't think we can.

It is the left side of the bracket that I moved up toward the BP. I took out the screws from the holes on the left side of the ramp and used two sided adhesive instead.

The right side of the wire gate is still in the original position. Moving just the left side higher makes for a steeper angle for the wire gate.

#2099 4 years ago

Apologies as I couldn't find this while searching so if it's here, I missed it....anyone have issues with the fork mech where it will raise just fine but after making a lock which should lower the forks, they stay up?

On my game, occasionally the latch will release as expected but the forks don't actually lower. When I check the mech out, it just seems there is a ton of friction in trying to move the forks down but not necessarily up...they aren't travelling too far up from what I can tell because in the lock position they travel just above the latch that locks them in place.

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks again.

#2100 4 years ago

My action button is sticking like everyone else. I saw a post with a link to a stern button that fixed this issue. Does anyone have the link by chance?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 3.75
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/42 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.