8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 71.
#1901 4 years ago
Quoted from pickleric:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues#post-4934930
remove the ball deflector ( aka snubber bracket), clean area with alcohol pad, install cliffy.
You can remove the two screws on the snubber bracket without taking the pop bumper apart like in vireland’s post, but you might mark up / dent the pop bumper skirt a little bit if you do.

You're definitely going to permanently ding up the skirt, even if you're very careful. The disassembly isn't that bad, I'd just do that.

#1902 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You're definitely going to permanently ding up the skirt, even if you're very careful. The disassembly isn't that bad, I'd just do that.

Yep I made a very slight ding

#1903 4 years ago

I have a slight delay or hesitation mostly on left flipper and super hard to hit extra ball. Any ideas.?

#1904 4 years ago

Do I need to maybe increase coil settings

#1905 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I have a slight delay or hesitation mostly on left flipper and super hard to hit extra ball. Any ideas.?

Extra ball is a very hard shot.

Try moving the leaves on the flipper switch closer together so they connect faster on a button press.

#1906 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Dauntless I found it was catching on the top deck. Removed deck added 4 #6 nylon washers between bracket and decking to raise it ~1mm problem solved.

I have the problem with Dauntless ship hull hitting the Dauntless top deck, when swinging. I should figure out a way to put the top deck a bit further up.
With reference to the tip above, I presume the washers are placed in the front of the backplate? But I do not understand how it would raise the top deck - it just brings it forward? Can you please explain further? Thanks! Other tips for raising the top deck are welcome of course too.

#1907 4 years ago

Removed a stupid question ...

#1908 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I have the problem with Dauntless ship hull hitting the Dauntless top deck, when swinging. I should figure out a way to put the top deck a bit further up. With reference to the tip above, I presume the washers are placed in the front of the backplate? But I do not understand how it would raise the top deck - it just brings it forward? Can you please explain further? Thanks! Other tips for raising the top deck are welcome of course too.

Here is youtube-video of the problem:

I tried adding 1 x washer for each of the screw, but it did not provide any help, please see the attachment.

IMG_6715 (resized).JPGIMG_6715 (resized).JPG
#1909 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Here is youtube-video of the problem:
I tried adding 1 x washer for each of the screw, but it did not provide any help, please see the attachment.[quoted image]

The top part is just on a static metal bracket. Try bending it up. You only need about 1mm more clearance.

#1910 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The top part is just on a static metal bracket. Try bending it up. You only need about 1mm more clearance.

Yes - and thank you, bending did the trick atleast for now!

#1911 4 years ago

sound issue: my game seems to have a lot less trebble when compared to my WOZ game. should they be comparable sound wise?

#1912 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Hey scallywags ‍☠️, need your help.
Problem 1:
—- Ball getting stuck on post in starmap
Symptoms: I noticed today that my ball frequently gets sick between the post and left post with runner in the star map area. I looked close at my friends today and it just may be that my posts on that left side are too tall... allowing the ball yo get wedged in between the post and the rubber?
Problem 2:
—- Dead mans chest having issues releasing locked balls when 3 locked
Symptoms:
3 balls locked in chest, chest attempts to release via mini magnet and it just buzzes then stops, buzzed then stops... as balls SLOWLY wiggle their way towards the left exit. Finally after about 10 second they will come out. Interestingly I tested it hand launching them in and works fine totally lost on this one.
LOVE ANY HELP thank you ! Happy 4th
Love any help

Im starting to have the same probelm. 3 balls not releasing. After about 10 15 seconds,, they release. Did anyone have a solution for this one?

#1913 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Im starting to have the same probelm. 3 balls not releasing. After about 10 15 seconds,, they release. Did anyone have a solution for this one?

It's usually all in the release arm. Put the game in test mode, I think it will release balls if there are any in the chest so you can easily test by dropping them in there. Make sure the release arm is free from obstructions. Test the movement of it. It can be bent gently to adjust it. Also check the alignment of the solenoid on the back, it can twist and can also have a loose screw on the back.

#1914 4 years ago

Is it possible to adjust the stroke length of a slingshot? I noticed today my playfield's left-slingshot's bracket moves too far forward when activating and makes contact with the table, gouging it My right slingshot works great and doesn't contact the table.

left_slingshot_activated (resized).pngleft_slingshot_activated (resized).pngright_slingshot (resized).pngright_slingshot (resized).png
#1915 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

Is it possible to adjust the stroke length of a slingshot?

You can toss a nut down the coil sleeve. That would limit the plunger travel. Works great on coils that are straight up or down when the game is being played. And if you ever work on it, you might remember why it's in there. If you stick a longer plunger in there and some day replace the plunger, you'll likely forget a longer one is in there and put the original one back in and have the problem again.

LTG : )

nutdrop (resized).JPGnutdrop (resized).JPGnutdrop1 (resized).JPGnutdrop1 (resized).JPG
#1916 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You can toss a nut down the coil sleeve. That would limit the plunger travel. Works great on coils that are straight up or down when the game is being played. And if you ever work on it, you might remember why it's in there. If you stick a longer plunger in there and some day replace the plunger, you'll likely forget a longer one is in there and put the original one back in and have the problem again.
LTG : )[quoted image][quoted image]

My left slingshot twice now has had the rubber go over top where the slingshot is stuck on outside of rubber......any idea how to fix this or is your nut inside sleeve work for this.

#1917 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

Is it possible to adjust the stroke length of a slingshot? I noticed today my playfield's left-slingshot's bracket moves too far forward when activating and makes contact with the table, gouging it My right slingshot works great and doesn't contact the table.[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from LTG:

The nut will take away to much and the sling won't work well.... just add a small washer ..this will be enough to stop the issue.

#1918 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I am still struggling with this myself. I have read that magnetized balls can cause this, though mine are new as of about 25 games ago... I also tried adjusting to the coil release length in settings... didn’t seem to solve either

#1919 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

My left slingshot twice now has had the rubber go over top where the slingshot is stuck on outside of rubber.

I'd try a one size smaller ring first.

LTG : )

#1920 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

I am still struggling with this myself. I have read that magnetized balls can cause this, though mine are new as of about 25 games ago... I also tried adjusting to the coil release length in settings... didn’t seem to solve either

Did you gently bend the little metal arm on the back of the trunk closer to the post in the middle of the small coil? If it's too far away the magnetism is too weak to pull the arm fully open.

#1921 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

My left slingshot twice now has had the rubber go over top where the slingshot is stuck on outside of rubber......any idea how to fix this or is your nut inside sleeve work for this.

Stock posts or star?

#1923 4 years ago

Hmmmm. Ok. Try turning slings down to minimum and put the replacement titan slings on. Maybe yours have been stretched. Also try perfectplays.

#1924 4 years ago

My wife was playing and ball got stuck on upper playfield.. after looking it was the spotlight that was hitting the ball and top or the right flipper.

So added a lock washer with Blue Loctite, then still had to bend up the metal so that it didn't hit. I added the washer as to not have to bend the light up too high where it didn't hit the back of upper playfield...so now light is still directed down like it was intended to.

IMG-4419 (resized).JPGIMG-4419 (resized).JPGIMG-4420 (resized).JPGIMG-4420 (resized).JPGIMG-4421 (resized).JPGIMG-4421 (resized).JPGIMG-4422 (resized).JPGIMG-4422 (resized).JPGIMG-4423 (resized).JPGIMG-4423 (resized).JPGIMG-4426 (resized).JPGIMG-4426 (resized).JPG
#1925 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

My wife was playing and ball got stuck on upper playfield.. after looking it was the spotlight that was hitting the ball and top or the right flipper.
So added a lock washer with Blue Loctite, then still had to bend up the metal so that it didn't hit. I added the washer as to not have to bend the light up too high where it didn't hit the back of upper playfield...so now light is still directed down like it was intended to.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

You threw me with the WOZ photo

#1926 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

You threw me with the WOZ photo

He wanted to show you his new WoZ custom glued down Pirates apron!

#1927 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I threw in a 6-32 nylon lock nut, and it's the perfect size. Thanks for the tip!

#1928 4 years ago

Question for this thread. I am having inconsistent firing of the ship VUK. If I land it in the hole from the shooter lane, it doesn't always register. Lift up the machine and it fires, but tilt warnings. Tried messing with the opto, checked to see if the ball is getting stuck. Anyone else have this problem?

#1929 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Question for this thread. I am having inconsistent firing of the ship VUK. If I land it in the hole from the shooter lane, it doesn't always register. Lift up the machine and it fires, but tilt warnings. Tried messing with the opto, checked to see if the ball is getting stuck. Anyone else have this problem?

Hard to describe but a local friend had the same issue granted his game was set up Steep at close to 8 degrees. Feeding the VUK going backwards is a clear plastic flap. His was slightly bent up. A small heat source like a hair dryer and I was able to bend it down slightly and stay and the problem went away. Hope this helps.

#1930 4 years ago

Yes, that helped! I put in a couple of small washers to increase the incline of the plastic ramp and flap--back to 100%. It must have been getting caught on the plastic when balls landed gently at the VUK drop. I was looking at the optos and they were fine. Thanks!

#1931 4 years ago

I'm having a problem where during Multiball, I may end up with 2 or 3 balls in The Depths. The game will try and try to eject a ball, but usually it fails. Eventually the game times out or I end it by going into the menu. It is quite simple to eject all of the balls with the coil test, but during the game, they get stuck. Inevitably, this happens during a good game, so I lose out on a good score. Any advice? Thanks

#1932 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballmlb:

I'm having a problem where during Multiball, I may end up with 2 or 3 balls in The Depths. The game will try and try to eject a ball, but usually it fails. Eventually the game times out or I end it by going into the menu. It is quite simple to eject all of the balls with the coil test, but during the game, they get stuck. Inevitably, this happens during a good game, so I lose out on a good score. Any advice? Thanks

Sounds like a flaky switch or opto. Look underneath and make sure the switche(s) are tight and the optos are all in place

#1933 4 years ago

I always increase the strength on the trough up-kicker.

#1934 4 years ago

There is a problem with multiple balls going into the depths. They get stuck because the subway plastic before the depths kicker is stretched by all the balls in there and they block each other’s entrance to the kicker metal enclosure. They get stuck. So you need to narrow the plastic subway slightly, by adding a post next to the subway pushing the walls in slightly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/3#post-4941279

I actually just asked JJP support for the post and screw. They know if this problem.

#1935 4 years ago

Thanks to JordanB for posting how to access the Tortuga hole deflector plate....I finally installed the Cliffy yesterday. 1st time I tried to install it I failed.

Also posted this in the Official fan club, but figured it needed to go here.

#1936 4 years ago

Underneath, you need to back-off the nuts but don't have to take them all the way out, plus Disconnect the Spinning Motor for extra wire to be available.

IMG-4469 (resized).JPGIMG-4469 (resized).JPGIMG-4470 (resized).JPGIMG-4470 (resized).JPG
#1937 4 years ago

Now, 1st time I took the cap off I undid the screws on top....don't do it as the one screw under the arm is a pain to put back in....Just need an Allen Wrench to go through hole that takes cap and plate off.

IMG-4471 (resized).JPGIMG-4471 (resized).JPG
#1938 4 years ago

take both screws off motor, then I had to remove the screws inside holding the white pop plastic, but just leave screws inside cap

Also, the 2 plastic spacers you have to be careful they don't fail into back of playfield...happened the 1st time and took a while to get the damn things.

IMG-4472 (resized).JPGIMG-4472 (resized).JPGIMG-4473 (resized).JPGIMG-4473 (resized).JPGIMG-4474 (resized).JPGIMG-4474 (resized).JPG
#1939 4 years ago

now you're able to angle the pop assembly on angle to get to plate screws

IMG-4475 (resized).JPGIMG-4475 (resized).JPGIMG-4476 (resized).JPGIMG-4476 (resized).JPG
#1940 4 years ago

I put a towel down and put a magnet to catch any possible screws falling

IMG-4477 (resized).JPGIMG-4477 (resized).JPGIMG-4479 (resized).JPGIMG-4479 (resized).JPGIMG-4481 (resized).JPGIMG-4481 (resized).JPG
#1941 4 years ago

Now I put the deflector plate back in but forgot where it was positioned as mine always hit the left flipper, but if you look on top of your defector it should have wear ...where it hit the bottom of the wire form ramp, so that was good as I knew where it had to be position wise.

Also, I used blue tape to hold those stupid designed white spacers to keep them from falling....once you get the screws in the hole, just screw them in a little bit then pull blue tape off

IMG-4483 (resized).JPGIMG-4483 (resized).JPGIMG-4485 (1) (resized).JPGIMG-4485 (1) (resized).JPG
#1942 4 years ago

DONE !!!! NOW I just need to do the Depths as that looks like a PIA....If anyone has install directions and pics that would be great

IMG-4486 (resized).JPGIMG-4486 (resized).JPGIMG-4491 (resized).JPGIMG-4491 (resized).JPG
#1943 4 years ago

Depths is easy. Just clips on. Can be done from top. Unless you mean map hole of which I still need to do.

#1944 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Depths is easy. Just clips on. Can be done from top. Unless you mean map hole of which I still need to do.

you are correct I was referring to Depths.

I did the Map hole, and my mylar was coming up on the back right corner, so I probably should have removed it as you can see a little of the mylar lifting. Also was concerned that cliffy might come up due to loose mylar...but so far so good.

When you do your MAP hole, someone posted that you need to remove the 3 standup targets for MAP....you don't have to...the Cliffy slides right over the targets.

#1945 4 years ago

I'm having an issue with my Load Cannon door not opening. If I manually push on the metal flap the coil connects to, it moves fine and will work for a bit, but then it'll get stuck again at some point. I've also had the spring that attaches to the gate come off twice now, which might be related?

I've tried manually triggering the Cannon Door coil in the tests and it does not open until I push it myself, and then it works fine for a while. Stealing the image from another post in here, the red square is the part that I can push on to make it work for a while, and the blue square is the where the spring is falling off (from the top).

All the parts here seem to move freely when I touch them, and since it works fine after I touch it, it's been really hard to debug. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any insights into what could be going wrong? This has been happening on/off since I got the game. I originally thought it was the metal gate getting caught on the left plastics, and that was a problem until I put a washer in, from the tip in post #1531, but now it's definitely not hitting that.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1946 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

I'm having an issue with my Load Cannon door not opening. If I manually push on the metal flap the coil connects to, it moves fine and will work for a bit, but then it'll get stuck again at some point. I've also had the spring that attaches to the gate come off twice now, which might be related?
I've tried manually triggering the Cannon Door coil in the tests and it does not open until I push it myself, and then it works fine for a while. Stealing the image from another post in here, the red square is the part that I can push on to make it work for a while, and the blue square is the where the spring is falling off (from the top).
All the parts here seem to move freely when I touch them, and since it works fine after I touch it, it's been really hard to debug. Has anyone had a similar problem or have any insights into what could be going wrong? This has been happening on/off since I got the game. I originally thought it was the metal gate getting caught on the left plastics, and that was a problem until I put a washer in, from the tip in post #1531, but now it's definitely not hitting that.
[quoted image]

I had to do work on my door since it wasn’t closing at all out of the box. I had to bend the main metal arm (that connects from the coil to the spring at the door) to a different angle and I put a washer on, but I put the washer on the right hand side (looking from the front of the machine). Mine was getting hung up only on that right hand side. If your washer is on the left, maybe try moving it to the right? One other thing I found on mine was that the roof above the door was also causing it to stick for some reason. I’m still not sure why or how. All I know is I made my adjustments to bend the arm and add the washer with the roof off and got it working 100%, then when I put the roof back on it would get stuck open again.

I took the roof on and off a few times to retest, and the only difference between sticking and not sticking was the roof being on. So I finally put the roof back on, but didn’t push it down all the way and just lightly put the nuts back on. I set it in with the front of the roof a little higher than the back and it’s worked 100% since then. If your issue isn’t the coil or the angle of the main arm, maybe switching washer sides and/or letting the front of the roof sit just a bit higher could work. Hope this helps.

#1947 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

[quoted image]

Gently bend the metal piece a little closer to the coil. It's probably too far away from the coil for the magnetism of the coil to pull it down.

#1948 4 years ago

Wow I dont remember having to bend anything. whole arm swivels. Loosen adjust arm coming off red square to middle of the loop wall and cannon door wall. Tighten and done. I actually dont even remember having to loosen anything just swiveled it and done

#1949 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Wow I dont remember having to bend anything. whole arm swivels. Loosen adjust arm coming off red square to middle of the loop wall and cannon door wall. Tighten and done. I actually dont even remember having to loosen anything just swiveled it and done

I think I'm dense with this cannon door thing. I think I'm seeing similar issues but for some reason, I'm not sure. How do I know if the door is working properly? My only clue is that my ball sometimes squeezes under it before "light fuse" is lit and the ball sort of tumbles out of the cannon. Obviously, that can't be right. My door "sort of" has three positions. All the way up (which seems to work most of the time it should, when "light fuse" is lit), partway closed (which is where it lives the majority of my games and when the ball can squeeze under it or get stuck for a moment), and all the way down (which I rarely, if ever see). Is the cannon door supposed to have that full range of motion or should it be in that half-way state? Once I wrap my head around that, I can better piece together what parts I'm supposed to swivel/bend etc.

#1950 4 years ago
Quoted from Galooch:

I think I'm dense with this cannon door thing. I think I'm seeing similar issues but for some reason, I'm not sure. How do I know if the door is working properly? My only clue is that my ball sometimes squeezes under it before "light fuse" is lit and the ball sort of tumbles out of the cannon. Obviously, that can't be right. My door "sort of" has three positions. All the way up (which seems to work most of the time it should, when "light fuse" is lit), partway closed (which is where it lives the majority of my games and when the ball can squeeze under it or get stuck for a moment), and all the way down (which I rarely, if ever see). Is the cannon door supposed to have that full range of motion or should it be in that half-way state? Once I wrap my head around that, I can better piece together what parts I'm supposed to swivel/bend etc.

I think in a perfect world it’s supposed to be all the way down until the load cannon target is activated and then once it’s activated the door would go all the way up to let the ball go into the cannon. In reality I wasn’t able to get it to that point. I spent a bunch of time on the arm that connects the coil to the door spring trying to slightly bend it in different spots and different amounts. Finally I just went with a result that had the door resting down enough where it definitely blocks the ball when it’s supposed to and it lifts up just barely enough for the ball to pass under without making contact. Not 100% ideal but functional. Here’s a picture of my door closed.

4AEC6D45-6650-4469-A70F-6D569136C8CB (resized).jpeg4AEC6D45-6650-4469-A70F-6D569136C8CB (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanted
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 39 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/39?hl=gnarlee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.