8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 71.
#1851 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Besides the well documented clearcoat issues around the slings, what other common problems should buyers be aware of when buying a PoTC?
I might pick up one in the very near future.

Post #1 pretty much covers it.

#1852 4 years ago

Curious if there is a way to make the flippers behave more like the fliptronic feel of my TZ, which is very crisp and immediate. I've adjusted the strength, it just feels muddy compared to my TZ.

#1853 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Post #1 pretty much covers it.

Thank you. I appreciate the time you put into that list!

Are most of these adjustments? Or part defects?

#1854 4 years ago
Quoted from AFM95:

Thank you. I appreciate the time you put into that list!
Are most of these adjustments? Or part defects?

It covers both. Some are common adjustments some are compensating for bad design.

#1855 4 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Curious if there is a way to make the flippers behave more like the fliptronic feel of my TZ, which is very crisp and immediate. I've adjusted the strength, it just feels muddy compared to my TZ.

Tighten up the gaps on the flipper switches? That should take care of immediate and might make them feel more crisp to you.

#1856 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Tighten up the gaps on the flipper switches? That should take care of immediate and might make them feel more crisp to you.

That makes sense, more likely the "feel" of the flipper buttons. I'll adjust them. In fairness, my current TZ is the most responsive Williams I've ever owned, which is probably because Brian Kelly restored it.

#1858 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Never thought of that. Seems mine has a very slight hesitation or I could be just imagining things. I’ll try that if I find there’s a slight delay

#1859 4 years ago

Although Vireland I can’t seem to locate your post fix on the first page

#1860 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Although Vireland I can’t seem to locate your post fix on the first page

I don't think there was a specific post with instructions about various ways to fix that issue, just general tips here and there. Some people have had it, I have not.

#1861 4 years ago

So I’m starting to experience intermittent stuck flipper on the right side of the BP.

Pressing the coil shaft all the way in with my finger causes some resistance and can stick if push in the full throw. Is lube a bad idea or what would be best route to address?

#1862 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

So I’m starting to experience intermittent stuck flipper on the right side of the BP.
Pressing the coil shaft all the way in with my finger causes some resistance and can stick if push in the full throw. Is lube a bad idea or what would be best route to address?

Make sure all the hardware holding the flipper mechs in place are tight. I had an upper left sticking flipper, turned out the hex screw holding the coil stop plate in place was loose, causing the plunger to rub the coil sleeve on the return.

#1863 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

I had this exact issue. Loosen the pawl nut on the flipper and correct the vertical position of the flipper such that the coil moves freely, then re tighten.

#1864 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

What everyone said and do Not use lube on flipper mechs!

#1865 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

Lube/Oil/Grease is never a proper solution to fix a pin. Just imagine all the coil dust we clean out of our machines, now add in a substance that attracts dust. Proly just needs an adjustment.

#1866 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Lube/Oil/Grease is never a proper solution to fix a pin. Just imagine all the coil dust we clean out of our machines, now add in a substance that attracts dust. Proly just needs an adjustment.

And for the love of anything holy. Never hose anything down in a pin with WD40.

LTG : )

#1867 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

That's okay for greasing balls for storage though, yes?

Before use I degrease them with naphtha.

#1868 4 years ago

FYI if anyone has had an issue with the black pearl not moving consistently - mind was binding against the wire bundle! Had to affix it to the back of the cabinet in place with a zip tie

#1869 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That's okay for greasing balls for storage though, yes?

Before use I degrease them with naphtha.

As long as you don't spray them in the game. Yes.

#1870 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Make sure all the hardware holding the flipper mechs in place are tight. I had an upper left sticking flipper, turned out the hex screw holding the coil stop plate in place was loose, causing the plunger to rub the coil sleeve on the return.

Quoted from zaphX:

I had this exact issue. Loosen the pawl nut on the flipper and correct the vertical position of the flipper such that the coil moves freely, then re tighten.

Quoted from Yelobird:

What everyone said and do Not use lube on flipper mechs!

Quoted from GnarLee:

Quoted from LTG:

Wow, thanks everyone - a wealth of great info! I’ll give these a shot when I remove the BP again.

#1871 4 years ago
Quoted from tgrinchy:

Wow, thanks everyone - a wealth of great info! I’ll give these a shot when I remove the BP again.

If your more of a see it done kind of person I strongly suggest watching master LTG's flipper setup video. As I suspect your flipper may simply be binding in the nylon guide this may help get you going. FYI your POTC did not come with the tool he mentions but a simple plastic credit card will work just as well. Good Luck.

#1872 4 years ago

Two questions I hope can be answered.
I noticed the Star Map pop up post comes up ok, but has become slow and even hesitates half way down before it fully retracts. What should I look for?

Second, and a minor one, I have yet to have any of the patches or pirate hat show up on a picture since the update. Does anyone think adjusting the sensitivity of the camera would give a better chance for it to happen?

#1873 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I noticed the Star Map pop up post comes up ok, but has become slow and even hesitates half way down before it fully retracts. What should I look for?
Second, and a minor one, I have yet to have any of the patches or pirate hat show up on a picture since the update. Does anyone think adjusting the sensitivity of the camera would give a better chance for it to happen?

Best I could suggest is make sure the post (#3) is not rubbing and is centered on the hole in the playfield. Its possible your coil sleeve may be gnarled up (#5) but try centering first. As for the pics, sadly I haven't played well enough to warrant a photo capture lately..... Good Luck.

Screen Shot 2019-07-28 at 11.59.06 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-07-28 at 11.59.06 PM (resized).png
#1874 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

The pirate hat and patch seems to be reliant on the shape of the face in the picture. I've NEVER got it with my rounder face, but people angular faces and faces with chin down a bit seem to get them more frequently.

#1875 4 years ago

Much thanks. I'll check the assembly and see if its moving freely. And then I'll get liposuction done for my face so I can try to get a pirate patch picture

#1876 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The pirate hat and patch seems to be reliant on the shape of the face in the picture. I've NEVER got it with my rounder face, but people angular faces and faces with chin down a bit seem to get them more frequently.

I have a t-shirt with Jermaine’s face from Fotc. The game once put a hat and patch on him. Missed my face altogether. Maybe it’s done on beauty?

#1877 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have a more angular face - never seen the hat and patch once. Not sure what I'm doing wrong!

#1878 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have a more angular face - never seen the hat and patch once. Not sure what I'm doing wrong!

My face looks like this, and haven't seen jack shit yet....

Guess there's something wrong with me.

alien-scary-mask-halloween-festival-party (resized).jpgalien-scary-mask-halloween-festival-party (resized).jpg
#1879 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Chin down a bit?

#1880 4 years ago

I finally took my BP off the game to try to fix some of the issues I've been having with one of the Bonus X stand-ups. I thought it was just gaped too far, but upon closer inspection it's just mounted on the mini playfield too close to the rubber, so it will only activate with strong pressure.

bp_standup (resized).pngbp_standup (resized).png

I tried loosening and pushing it further to the right, but as soon as I get tighten the screw at all it goes right back; the bracket doesn't really allow for any horizontal adjustment. Not sure what can be done but filling the old screw holes and mounting it again?

I also wanted to ask if both BP flippers were supposed to have the same amount of movement, or if my left flipper's movement is intentionally shorter? bp_flipper (resized).pngbp_flipper (resized).png

The right flipper has a ton more movement in my game, and I can't remember if the left flipper was always this way, or something that has gotten worse over time..

#1881 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

I finally took my BP off the game to try to fix some of the issues I've been having with one of the Bonus X stand-ups. I thought it was just gaped too far, but upon closer inspection it's just mounted on the mini playfield too close to the rubber, so it will only activate with strong pressure.
[quoted image]
I tried loosening and pushing it further to the right, but as soon as I get tighten the screw at all it goes right back; the bracket doesn't really allow for any horizontal adjustment. Not sure what can be done but filling the old screw holes and mounting it again?
I also wanted to ask if both BP flippers were supposed to have the same amount of movement, or if my left flipper's movement is intentionally shorter? [quoted image]
The right flipper has a ton more movement in my game, and I can't remember if the left flipper was always this way, or something that has gotten worse over time..

Left and right flipper are the same on the BP. I suspect your Left flipper is at the end of travel (the flipper itself) against the rubber on the playfield which is not letting the plunger fully release. Adjust the flipper topside with the pawl nut below and I am betting you will be good.

#1882 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

[quoted image]
I also wanted to ask if both BP flippers were supposed to have the same amount of movement, or if my left flipper's movement is intentionally shorter? [quoted image]

On the upper skull switch your best option would be to simply set the contact gap closer so the target throw to activate would be greatly reduced vs trying to move the switch. Good Luck.

#1883 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

On the upper skull switch your best option would be to simply set the contact gap closer so the target throw to activate would be greatly reduced vs trying to move the switch. Good Luck.

I'm afraid that I'd have to make it so sensitive that non-hits would trigger it; as it is, you have to press down the right-side hard to make it trigger. Dang. I'll try contacting JJP and see if they have any ideas.

Quoted from Yelobird:

Left and right flipper are the same on the BP. I suspect your Left flipper is at the end of travel (the flipper itself) against the rubber on the playfield which is not letting the plunger fully release. Adjust the flipper topside with the pawl nut below and I am betting you will be good.

Thanks, I'll make them the same, just need to figure out how much of a flip that is haha. For the rest of your comment, do you mean the left in my picture (which is the right flipper when not upside-down), or the right in my picture (normally left)? The left in my picture is the flipper that has much greater amount of movement, but maybe it flips too far? The right (in-picture) is the one that flips less.

#1884 4 years ago

On you skull switch have you tried loosening the screw and cheating it to the right? Assuming you have. Easiest thing imo would be to pull out the switch and bore out the hole on switch just a hair. This would give you a bit more adjustment.

#1885 4 years ago
Quoted from Maide:

I'm afraid that I'd have to make it so sensitive that non-hits would trigger it; as it is, you have to press down the right-side hard to make it trigger. Dang. I'll try contacting JJP and see if they have any ideas.

Thanks, I'll make them the same, just need to figure out how much of a flip that is haha. For the rest of your comment, do you mean the left in my picture (which is the right flipper when not upside-down), or the right in my picture (normally left)? The left in my picture is the flipper that has much greater amount of movement, but maybe it flips too far? The right (in-picture) is the one that flips less.

I was referring left or right that the flipper bat throw from the Top needed to be adjusted so they don't bottom out before the plunger can fully extend. In your picture (bottom side) the coil plunger is not fully extended meaning that (right or left) flipper is hitting full travel to soon. Hope that makes sense.

#1886 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I was referring left or right that the flipper bat throw from the Top needed to be adjusted so they don't bottom out before the plunger can fully extend. In your picture (bottom side) the coil plunger is not fully extended meaning that (right or left) flipper is hitting full travel to soon. Hope that makes sense.

Ah ok, that's what I thought originally, which is why I posted here to confirm. I wanted to make sure there wasn't a game-design reason they had a shorter range of movement on the left flipper so you couldn't cradle or something like that. It sounds like this is not the case, and I should fix it to fully extend.

#1887 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

BAG board mounted under the playfield controls all of the lighting more or less. There is a mini USB connector on that board which can come loose or get misaligned in its socket. It's the only mini-USB under the field and usually has a factory tie-wrap on it to hold it in place. Examine and re-seat or straighten if needed. The other end of that USB cable plugs into the "bottom" of the motherboard below the metal box behind the monitor (with the security dongle and the VGA and everything else). Unseat and re-seat the USBs there with game power off. Don't move them to other ports, just unplug and replug.

This is an old post, but I wanted to thank you for it. I was having the same issue with my Wonka lighting all of a sudden. Reseating the USB seems to have fixed the issue.

#1888 4 years ago

Not finding my issue on here so far.

The chest release isn't working correctly. When I test the coil, it's like it isn't getting enough power. The mech barely moves at all. I've tried the release timing to no avail. When playing the game and the chest is supposed to release, it goes into ball search.

What do I need to do to troubleshoot this?

#1889 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Not finding my issue on here so far.
The chest release isn't working correctly. When I test the coil, it's like it isn't getting enough power. The mech barely moves at all. I've tried the release timing to no avail. When playing the game and the chest is supposed to release, it goes into ball search.
What do I need to do to troubleshoot this?

Bend the little metal that is on the back so it's closer to the metal post on the coil and it can move the bracket easier (at all?) when energized.

#1890 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bend the little metal that is on the back so it's closer to the metal post on the coil and it can move the bracket easier (at all?) when energized.

That did it! Thanks!

#1891 4 years ago

That did it! Thanks!

Same issue with the WoZ munchkin hut ball lock arm over time. It only requires a little bend to get it working well. Glad yours is fixed now!

#1892 4 years ago

Not sure if this will help anyone more than any other instructions out there. I think I recall someone else doing a video, but here is one on the BP removal that I have used several times.

https://magicalproductions.miiduu.com/black-pearl-removal-instructions

Added over 4 years ago:

Not sure if this will help anyone more than any other instructions out there. I think I recall someone else doing a video, but here is one on the BP removal that I have used several times.

https://pinballmods.co/black-pearl-removal-instructions

#1893 4 years ago

Jesus! I thought they said it was going to be easy to remove!

#1894 4 years ago

Jesus! I thought they said it was going to be easy to remove!

It’s hard the first time. Once you do it, it becomes quite simple. I can get the ship removed in under 4 mins

#1895 4 years ago
Quoted from Trooper11040:

It’s hard the first time. Once you do it, it becomes quite simple. I can get the ship removed in under 4 mins

Including the ramps and the VUK? Seems like a lot.

#1896 4 years ago

Including the ramps and the VUK? Seems like a lot.

You can do it without removing the ramp and vuk, it is a bit tight though.

#1897 4 years ago

If you have the bit sizes handy and an electric screwdriver it's a 5-10 minute job. I should time it putting it back together but I would bet someone I could do the whole thing in 10 minutes.

#1898 4 years ago

People will start posting their BP removal times rather than their HS.

#1899 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

PROBLEM: Tortuga saucer sending the ball SDTM
SOLUTION: Most likely the ball deflector/guide at the back of the Tortuga saucer is loose or mis-aligned. Remove Tortuga Tom and loosen the pop bumper to gain access to the two phillips screws for the deflector that's slightly under the pop bumper skirt. Aim the guard a bit to the left. Test and ensure the scoop fires into the middle of the left flipper. Consider blue loctite to make the fix permanent.
Here's how you get the pop bumper apart to gain access to the two screws:
This is the deflector that you may need to tighten and/or adjust the direction it's pointing:
[quoted image]
These are the screws you need to tighten once the deflector is where you want it:
[quoted image]
There's a single #1 phillips screw each at the front and back of the barrel you need to remove:
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Once the barrel is off, you see a mounting plate, but the hex set screw that holds it on is hidden underneath it. Feel for it and use a hex wrench to loosen it, then slide the mounting plate up and off:
[quoted image]
This is a better look at the set screw once the plate is off:
[quoted image]
There are now two motor screws to remove. READ THE NEXT STEP BEFORE DOING THIS ONE:
[quoted image]
Under each screw holding the motor on, there's a nylon spacer. Be careful to hold the spacer as you lift the screw out so you don't lose the spacer in the machine:
[quoted image]
Lift the motor up a bit and set it to the side, which will expose the screws for the pop bumper. LOOSEN, DO NOT REMOVE THEM. Once loose, you can raise the skirt in the front where the two screws are for the deflector and tighten/adjust as-needed:
[quoted image]
Reverse the process to put it all back together.

anyone having any pics or directions on how to install the Mystery Hole Cliffy. I'm in process of doing it right now and I'm at this spot in my disassembly and don't know what to do...thx.

#1900 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

anyone having any pics or directions on how to install the Mystery Hole Cliffy. I'm in process of doing it right now and I'm at this spot in my disassembly and don't know what to do...thx.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues#post-4934930

remove the ball deflector ( aka snubber bracket), clean area with alcohol pad, install cliffy.

You can remove the two screws on the snubber bracket without taking the pop bumper apart like in vireland’s post, but you might mark up / dent the pop bumper skirt a little bit if you do.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 39.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk

29,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/38?hl=tgrinchy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.