8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 71.
#1801 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Problem fixed. Talked to Butch at JJP.
We had to remove the upper playfield. Underneath the playfield , which I would have taken a pic, in the center of the playfield there are 2 metal pins/rods. 1 is located near the top, near backglass, and one near bottom near flippers.
The pins have to go into the mounted hole plates. Mine was underneath the one near the flippers and not inside the hole, causing it to sit too low and balls getting stuck.
My friend got his game the other day and the same thing happened on his, but the tech was able to slide the playfield back towards backglass, then towards front of game and it went in without having to take then upper playfield off.[quoted image][quoted image]

Awesome write up. Thanks for sharing your fix!

#1802 4 years ago

Don't know if I posted this yet, but you don't have to remove the 3 stand up targets for MAP. The Map Cliffy fit right over the targets which definitely saved some time.

#1803 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Thank you!

#1804 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok, wait... am I missing something? Aren't we just talking about reinstalling the BP back in to the mounting pins how it should sit? Or was it this way from the factory?

#1805 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Ok, wait... am I missing something? Aren't we just talking about reinstalling the BP back in to the mounting pins how it should sit? Or was it this way from the factory?

Yes he was sharing how to adjust the BP if the gap is off nothing major but helpful. Not everything needs to be a complete overhaul sometimes just a helpful support document. lol Appreciated.

#1806 4 years ago

Troubleshooting a VUK issue that is behind the black pearl that plunges the ball up onto the deck. The ball is shooting up but unable to get on the deck. After 2 attempts it exits to the side and back on the main playfield. It looks like there’s enough clearance at the top for the ball to land, not sure. Could it be a coil power issue that needs to be adjusted? Anyone have similar issues?

Also, gate 87 is stuck according to the test report. Where is this located?

Last issue...camera is not able to be found. Checked all the wiring and it seems to be OK. Could it just be the camera went bad??

Thanks in advance!

#1807 4 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Troubleshooting a VUK issue that is behind the black pearl that plunges the ball up onto the deck. The ball is shooting up but unable to get on the deck. After 2 attempts it exits to the side and back on the main playfield. It looks like there’s enough clearance at the top for the ball to land, not sure. Could it be a coil power issue that needs to be adjusted? Anyone have similar issues?
Also, gate 87 is stuck according to the test report. Where is this located?
Last issue...camera is not able to be found. Checked all the wiring and it seems to be OK. Could it just be the camera went bad??
Thanks in advance!

Increase VUK power on the Pearl VUK until the Pearl failures stop. You want to do as little as you can here, though my machine is at 32 (default.)

I think 87 is the Maelstrom ramp opto? If you go into switch test it will show you the switch location on the playfield.

On the camera, is the usb plugged into the motherboard for it? Try a different USB port if there is another free?

#1808 4 years ago

Thank you! I’ll up the coil strength and see that happens along with locating Maelstrom ramp opto. I believe it said it the gate was stuck open.

As for the camera...I double checked the wiring and actually tried another USB port. Till could not be found. Wondering if the camera is faulty or cabling needs replaced?

Quoted from zaphX:

Increase VUK power on the Pearl VUK until the Pearl failures stop. You want to do as little as you can here, though my machine is at 32 (default.)
I think 87 is the Maelstrom ramp opto? If you go into switch test it will show you the switch location on the playfield.
On the camera, is the usb plugged into the motherboard for it? Try a different USB port if there is another free?

#1809 4 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

Thank you! I’ll up the coil strength and see that happens along with locating Maelstrom ramp opto. I believe it said it the gate was stuck open.
As for the camera...I double checked the wiring and actually tried another USB port. Till could not be found. Wondering if the camera is faulty or cabling needs replaced?

Contact JJP support, either they will know or have you troubleshoot and get a replacement.

#1810 4 years ago

So the right spinner on my BP stopped registering. Reading thru the posts, I assume it's the opto? I had turned down the VUK to the point of the ball just making it to the playfield. Where is the best way to start and what should I be looking for? Any help is much appreciated!

#1811 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Where is the best way to start and what should I be looking for?

First thing is look carefully if opto popped out or broke. Then loose wires or connectors next.

LTG : )

#1812 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

First thing is look carefully if opto popped out or broke. Then loose wires or connectors next.

I assume I have to remove the BP? AIIIEEEEEEE! Thanks. Will check it out!

#1813 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

I assume I have to remove the BP?

Maybe not. Check top side and then connectors below the playfield.

#1814 4 years ago

Thanks for the help LTG. Unfortunately it is the opto bracken and it broke off the wiring. If I get a new one, do I have to solder the opto back on or does it come complete with the optos attached?

#1815 4 years ago

Comes with wires attached. Luckily you get to remove the BP.

#1816 4 years ago

Comes with wires attached. Luckily you get to remove the BP.

yay!......again

#1817 4 years ago
Quoted from rlslick:

I had same problem with camera, call jjp and they’ll diagnose you’ll need a new camera and cord. This should fix it.

#1818 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

yay!......again

I just removed mine for first time today. Removing was fun. Getting back on was funner. I liked the buffalo video where his tip for getting it off was to “jiggle a bit”, followed by his tip to get back on was “I don’t have any tips to get it back on”.

Good luck!

#1819 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I just removed mine for first time today. Removing was fun. Getting back on was funner. I liked the buffalo video where his tip for getting it off was to “jiggle a bit”, followed by his tip to get back on was “I don’t have any tips to get it back on”.
Good luck!

Removing the Pearl is a rite of passage

It was designed for easy removal, but the first time is a little scary.

#1820 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Good luck!

I also watched that video, after having gone through the manual and being disappointed this isn't covered. My Indiana Jones' manual has a page on taking off and putting on the upper playfield, I don't see why Pirates doesn't..

#1821 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Removing the Pearl is a rite of passage
It was designed for easy removal, but the first time is a little scary.

getting it back on so that both pins go through the holes is done by making sure the playfield is parallel with the lower playfield....then it goes in pretty easily.

#1822 4 years ago

also, taking it off and putting it back on is best done with 2 people. trying to get the wires out and put back in while holding the BP and then trying to take out or even put wires back in would be tough!

#1823 4 years ago

It's easy. Once you figure out how to hold it with one hand, stuff the wires in, line up front pin. Easiest mini playfield.

#1824 4 years ago

It's easy. Once you figure out how to hold it with one hand, stuff the wires in, line up front pin. Easiest mini playfield.

I'm Polish...that's why I need 2 people.

#1825 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I'm Polish...that's why I need 2 people.

You mean, you do it correctly, while the person standing by you tells you that you're fucking it up?

#1826 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

You mean, you do it correctly, while the person standing by you tells you that you're fucking it up?

Now that's FUNNY!

#1827 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

getting it back on so that both pins go through the holes is done by making sure the playfield is parallel with the lower playfield....then it goes in pretty easily.

I found I had to remove the ramp as well, the front right plastic of my pearl sticks out some what. The VUK doesn’t make it easy either. It scratches up against my opto shielding. Another reason why people may have damaged opto wires.

#1828 4 years ago

Awesome response by JJP. New opto being mailed. Anyone have any tips on replacing it?

#1829 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Awesome response by JJP. New opto being mailed. Anyone have any tips on replacing it?

I haven’t done it was able to save what I had. The plastic was broken not the wiring. Yours comes with a plug. Basically go into your switch tests and the manual and identify which colour the faulty one goes into on the opto board. Mark that colour on your replacement plug. Then try doing this:

Remove any upper deck mod and unscrew the broken opto. Cut any cable ties on the wiring harness. Attach new opto plug to broken opto with tape. Feed broken opto with new plug attached through the playfield from bottom helping to feed it by checking under pearl.

Hopefully you can get the new opto through without taking BP OFF. Plug in the new one into the colour you looked up. otherwise remove BP. make sure you put another cable tie on.

#1830 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I haven’t done it was able to save what I had. The plastic was broken not the wiring. Yours comes with a plug. Basically go into your switch tests and the manual and identify which colour the faulty one goes into on the opto board. Mark that colour on your replacement plug. Then try doing this:
Remove any upper deck mod and unscrew the broken opto. Cut any cable ties on the wiring harness. Attach new opto plug to broken opto with tape. Feed broken opto with new plug attached through the playfield from bottom helping to feed it by checking under pearl.
Hopefully you can get the new opto through without taking BP OFF. Plug in the new one into the colour you looked up. otherwise remove BP. make sure you put another cable tie on.

Mine were cable-tied between the BP and under the playfield. Hence having to remove the BP.

#1831 4 years ago

Mine were cable-tied between the BP and under the playfield. Hence having to remove the BP.

Thought you could snip from the left side. That’s why I said see if you can remove them. If not then yeah remove the BP.

#1832 4 years ago

Well, right when I got all excited I could get my pirates back up because I received my replacement trunk bracket.... just kidding. This I could not believe... they sent me a TOTALLY used trunk bracket that looked more worn than my original?? And, the threaded mount for the led is nonexistent

defectiveBracket (resized).jpgdefectiveBracket (resized).jpg
#1833 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Well, right when I got all excited I could get my pirates back up because I received my replacement trunk bracket.... just kidding. This I could not believe... they sent me a TOTALLY used trunk bracket that looked more worn than my original?? And, the threaded mount for the led is nonexistent [quoted image]

I don't recall needing a threaded hole. I guess that is what it screws in to, maybe I'm just remembering the optos. Which btw, should have been screwed in. Those stupid tabs are ridiculous.

Btw, my wife was just packing your order. She was all "oooooh Walnut Creek" ... she grew up around there.

#1834 4 years ago

Awesome!! Ya I guess I could attach with double sided tape... then then that light would be pointless it would push it back far from the tiny opening

#1835 4 years ago

Awesome!! Ya I guess I could attach with double sided tape... then then that light would be pointless it would push it back far from the tiny opening

It will be pointless anyhow

#1836 4 years ago

I thought about just wiring in an rgb strip in its place

#1837 4 years ago

I thought about just wiring in an rgb strip in its place

Yeah, toss it on the arduino. If you use an addressable one WS2812B you can use my updated code. It's on pin 5.

#1838 4 years ago

Nice! Just ordered one, how many smd’s are you using... like how long a strip? @harryhoudini

#1839 4 years ago

Nice! Just ordered one, how many are you using... like how long a strip? harryhoudini

I'm using tightly spaced 5050 SMDs so I think there is enough room for 4 LED segments under the lid without cramming it in there. Even with my fuzzy clear bracket they put out a lot of light. I'll post some pics soon, just wanted to get the code and proto done so we could start soldering.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LSF4Q0A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#1840 4 years ago

Had the hammer on left sling pop under the rubber. I know someone else had that issue ... what’s the fix.

Also the right option on entrance to maelstrom ramp came off again . Doesn’t seem like it snaps in firmly Maybe I’ll put dab of clear caulk on it

#1841 4 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

Had the hammer on left sling pop under the rubber. I know someone else had that issue ... what’s the fix.
Also the right option on entrance to maelstrom ramp came off again . Doesn’t seem like it snaps in firmly Maybe I’ll put dab of clear caulk on it

Ive experienced both issues.

Hammer escape is fixed with a double star post.
I had to use black duct tape to hold the opto in. It would not seat in the hole and I think the screw near it prevents that. I tried a little hot glue, didn’t hold. Small piece of black duct tape has fixed it.

#1842 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Hammer escape is fixed with a double star post.

That hasn't fixed this completely for me. Would the next best option be to turn down the sling power?

#1843 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

That hasn't fixed this completely for me. Would the next best option be to turn down the sling power?

What worked for me..... may not for everyone is to simply (slightly!) increase the 2 blade switch gaps. The objective was to make the ball compress the rubber ever so slightly more which decreased the fire range of the arm. Again, may not work for all but this simple adjustment (with a finger) worked well for me and no issue again.

#1844 4 years ago

I had the issue when I first got game (escaping slingshot) and when I replaced the rubbers. For me anyways seems like it happened when the rubber was new but after it got a bit of play it stopped. Now with new rubbers it happened again. Yelo fix should work too

#1845 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I had the issue when I first got game (escaping slingshot) and when I replaced the rubbers. For me anyways seems like it happened when the rubber was new but after it got a bit of play it stopped. Now with new rubbers it happened again. Yelo fix should work too

Interesting. I never had this problem until I replaced the posts with star posts from JJP's replacement kit, which I think are thicker than the original posts. Might need to just try to stretch them out a bit.

#1846 4 years ago

Well, right when I got all excited I could get my pirates back up because I received my replacement trunk bracket.... just kidding. This I could not believe... they sent me a TOTALLY used trunk bracket that looked more worn than my original?? And, the threaded mount for the led is nonexistent [quoted image]

I personally think this is a big issue with JJP how they handled POTC, They are running out of parts. I already expressed my frustration how they are supporting this game. I have a game still under factory warranty. I have a warped map disc. They tell me I cant get a replacement because they don't have any available. This is my third nib JJP game, plenty parts around for the other game just not POTC which was still being made 2 months ago. I worry about keeping this game long term, Down the road I need a part and cant get it. Frank have been great to deal with, he is also annoyed that they didn't purchase extra parts. This is totally on the upper management at JJP. How can you offer a warranty and not be able to support it ? Leaves a foul taste in my mouth purchasing JJP games in the future.

#1847 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

Interesting. I never had this problem until I replaced the posts with star posts from JJP's replacement kit, which I think are thicker than the original posts. Might need to just try to stretch them out a bit.

I documented in the chipping thread. Besides using double star posts you need to dremmel the lower groove of the post so that the rubber will sit nearly the same distance from the bolt as the original post. I have not had it happen again. You also need to do this on the side facing the “A” lane or the ball can be hindered by the star post and that stupid big rubber post. It’s a bit of a pest, but the sling covers the alterations to the post.

#1848 4 years ago

Speaking of ball getting stuck. Balls on my game have been getting stuck at the right outlane just before escape the locker. gets stuck between the right post rubber and the metal outlane piece. With that being said locker escapes have become fairly easy. New record 13 escapes. I honestly dont know why it started happening all of a sudden. Havnt really looked too deep into the issue either though

#1849 4 years ago

Change the rubber to left post or remove altogether.

#1850 4 years ago

Besides the well documented clearcoat issues around the slings, what other common problems should buyers be aware of when buying a PoTC?

I might pick up one in the very near future.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 37 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/37 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.