8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 71.
#1501 4 years ago

To tell you the truth I have not used that skill shot for ages, so my memory is a bit rusty. Just remember I used to not be able to hit the dauntless until I changed the hex spacers. Until then I think I was confused how I was starting the BP Multiball without sinking the dauntless. It could be this simple or something else.

#1502 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I know, this is a weird one. But you're saying the playfield lights come back on and the movie 1 multiball light flashes, which is what it would do after making a successful shot into the Dauntless when the cannon is qualified.

This happens on mine as well, and thought I just didn't understand the rules, and maybe I don't.

But same as above, spinners were spun, cannon open, then the load cannon light goes out and multiball is qualified without ever firing a shot. It doesn't do anything else that would make you think a shot was fired re: animations, sound, or lights. My Dauntless switches are working fine far as I can tell, they operate normally when it doesn't do this, when it lets me load and fire. Which I would say is most of the time, only some times does it jump straight to multiball.

#1503 4 years ago

AFAIK there are 3 ways to qualify BPMB:

1. Shoot the cannon and nail the Dauntless hole
2. Shoot the cannon and bang off the side of the Dauntless twice
3. Skill shot the Pearl with Load Cannon lit

#1504 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Good call, maybe it's as simple as that. Every time you skillshot the boat, it advances one step towards BPMB. Spinners, Load Cannon, and the shot itself.
However, the OP mentioned the load cannon arrow is lit, which it would not be if BPMB was qualified via skill shot.

Thanks for your thoughts. But in fact the cannon load arrow is flashing and then it disappears (while the ball is on the BP without getting into the cannon) and then the MB lights on the playfield (which means the pin thinks I have destroyed the Dauntless).

#1505 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Thanks for your thoughts. But in fact the cannon load arrow is flashing and then it disappears (while the ball is on the BP without getting into the cannon) and then the MB lights on the playfield (which means the pin thinks I have destroyed the Dauntless).

Yeah, gotta be a switch misfiring then. Maybe LTG has a suggestion?

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

AFAIK there are 3 ways to qualify BPMB:
1. Shoot the cannon and nail the Dauntless hole
2. Shoot the cannon and bang off the side of the Dauntless twice
3. Skill shot the Pearl with Load Cannon lit

Thanks for that, I'll watch the next few games and see. It could very well be #3 in my case.

#1507 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Nope plastic does nothing. But there is a screw in the rail about 2 inches before it. You must be pressing pretty hard. Also inner loop misses that spot. Only hit from open sea or port royal.[quoted image]

Following up on this, here it is with plastic in place (does nothing) and with very little pressure. The ball hits the bracket just slinging it along on its own. I tried to move the ball guide as far out as possible and it still hits. This seems VERY likely to be the reason why the ball diverts into the BP on clean, strong shot.

Video https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y3DggZhyeBHzHexA6

Anyone want to comment? I am going to remove the bracket and dremel off the tip (moyle!) when I do the same to the t-nut in the map hole today.
0612190901 (1) (resized).jpg0612190901 (1) (resized).jpg

#1508 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Following up on this, here it is with plastic in place (does nothing) and with very little pressure. The ball hits the bracket just slinging it along on its own. I tried to move the ball guide as far out as possible and it still hits. This seems VERY likely to be the reason why the ball diverts into the BP on clean, strong shot.
Anyone want to comment? I am going to remove the bracket and dremel off the tip (moyle!) when I do the same to the t-nut in the map hole today.
[quoted image]

Mine was already slightly ground. Whether that was from the ball hitting it!

As I said I don’t think this affects inner loop shots just the 2 orbits.

#1509 4 years ago

[quoted image]

Ugh. So this is another issue akin to the tnut? Does this explain the clunkiness of this loop I'm guessing?

Fuck.....

Screenshot_20190612-195301_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190612-195301_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190612-195527_Photos (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190612-195527_Photos (resized).jpg
#1510 4 years ago

i noticed that on mine also but rolling a ball around it didnt hit the bracket

#1511 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I have to think this is a solid chance of many having hit issues. I know I've always heard a click on the loop shot, and felt momentum gets lost some. This would completely explain that.

I noticed the tnut when I'd installed my Cliffys, wondered what that was, didn't catch this one at all.

This is genuinely starting to get very, very unpleasant....

#1512 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Did you give the ball some pressure (the momentum it would have when hit with a flipper)? The ball guide easily deforms, the ball's inertia surely is enough to deform it enough to hit the bracket. There is no other explanation I can find as to why solid hits on an outer loop ball go in to the BP when they aren't supposed to.

Quoted from gumnut01:

Mine was already slightly ground. Whether that was from the ball hitting it!
As I said I don’t think this affects inner loop shots just the 2 orbits.

Yeah, does not affect the inner loop. Still not sure what the issue is there.

Ground down... https://photos.app.goo.gl/KaoNooQpQG1LWWQi6

0612191425 (resized).jpg0612191425 (resized).jpg0612191425a (resized).jpg0612191425a (resized).jpg
#1513 4 years ago

Will definitely do it later on. May even be able to get to it without stripping down completely. Will check when replace rubber in star map.

Quoted from wesman:

I have to think this is a solid chance of many having hit issues. I know I've always heard a click on the loop shot, and felt momentum gets lost some. This would completely explain that.
I noticed the tnut when I'd installed my Cliffys, wondered what that was, didn't catch this one at all.
This is genuinely starting to get very, very unpleasant....

Just be clear, this does not affect inner loop. Just open sea and port royal. It could be yours never hits, it may be a case by case. Mine looked like it was ground already. It is probably a good idea to grind it down like Harry has when working under the pearl.

#1514 4 years ago

Did you give the ball some pressure (the momentum it would have when hit with a flipper)? The ball guide easily deforms, the ball's inertia surely is enough to deform it enough to hit the bracket. There is no other explanation I can find as to why solid hits on an outer loop ball go in to the BP when they aren't supposed to.

Yeah, does not affect the inner loop. Still not sure what the issue is there.
Ground down... https://photos.app.goo.gl/KaoNooQpQG1LWWQi6[quoted image][quoted image]

Well the other explanation is s/w! What shot do you believe it is Open Sea or Port Royal? It is more the inner loop that goes to the pearl more than I think it should. And I think Keefer is adjusting this in code?

Port royal does go up there a lot by design and I think the force of the ball would be lessened at this point being near the end of the loop. Also the inertia would mean it would have to bounce backwards. Just thinking a strong ball on that trajectory if it was strong enough to deform the metal is not going to do a 90 degree turn into that hole. I have had the diverter down on the maelstrom and when the ball is strong enough it happily runs along it, skips across the hole to the other side and continues down the ramps wireform.

I think a small protrusion like this is going to nick the ball and divert slightly of its course then back onto the orbit. Don’t think it would make it do a 90 degree turn. For either outer orbit.

Think it’s software.

Agree to grind the bracket down whilst you’ve got the pearl off.

#1515 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Well the other explanation is s/w! What shot do you believe it is Open Sea or Port Royal? It is more the inner loop that goes to the pearl more than I think it should. And I think Keefer is adjusting this in code?
Port royal does go up there a lot by design and I think the force of the ball would be lessened at this point being near the end of the loop. Also the inertia would mean it would have to bounce backwards. Just thinking a strong ball on that trajectory if it was strong enough to deform the metal is not going to do a 90 degree turn into that hole. I have had the diverter down on the maelstrom and when the ball is strong enough it happily runs along it, skips across the hole to the other side and continues down the ramps wireform.
I think a small protrusion like this is going to nick the ball and divert slightly of its course then back onto the orbit. Don’t think it would make it do a 90 degree turn. For either outer orbit.
Think it’s software.
Agree to grind the bracket down whilst you’ve got the pearl off.

#1516 4 years ago

Even if this isn't the issue with the BP, it's still an issue.

I don't think it's SW issue as I don't think the magnet is grabbing it, I think it's a mechanical issue. But I can't figure it out, maybe I'll play with the BP off and see if I can catch it.

Can't remove the bracket without removing the BP unless you get really creative with some pliers or something. The back lower screw only comes out if the ball guide is moved, which means you have to pull off the plastic and remove the screws that hold the guide in place. I *think* that means the BP has to come off, mine was off already. I can't see any real complaining about removing the BP.. took me like 2 minutes to get it off. Anyone who has an issue there should remove the castle playfield on WOZ.

#1517 4 years ago

Nice work gumnut. I have noticed the same thing on inner loop shots. Good ones getting sucked to bp or coming out with no speed. I’ll bet I have the same issue.

#1518 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Nice work gumnut. I have noticed the same thing on inner loop shots. Good ones getting sucked to bp or coming out with no speed. I’ll bet I have the same issue.

Not me! I think you mean Harry. He has been a busy boy at the moment.

#1519 4 years ago

Ok, noob question... where does the 5/8" or so nylon washer that was in the bottom of my cabinet go? I assume this is somewhere on the BP mechanism but it was there before I took mine apart.

#1520 4 years ago

There’s one on the black pearl rod that sticks out the back of the playfield. Just before the pin goes in from the vertical straight that comes from the motor. All behind the playfield. Probably dropped off the rod when you took the black pearl out.

Let me know if you need me to pull the playfield forward and take a photo.

#1521 4 years ago

Thanks, figured that was it.

#1522 4 years ago

Even if this isn't the issue with the BP, it's still an issue.
I don't think it's SW issue as I don't think the magnet is grabbing it, I think it's a mechanical issue. But I can't figure it out, maybe I'll play with the BP off and see if I can catch it.
Can't remove the bracket without removing the BP unless you get really creative with some pliers or something. The back lower screw only comes out if the ball guide is moved, which means you have to pull off the plastic and remove the screws that hold the guide in place. I *think* that means the BP has to come off, mine was off already. I can't see any real complaining about removing the BP.. took me like 2 minutes to get it off. Anyone who has an issue there should remove the castle playfield on WOZ.

Nice work Harry! Hopefully that solves the loop shot issue!

#1523 4 years ago

I can't see any real complaining about removing the BP.. took me like 2 minutes to get it off. Anyone who has an issue there should remove the castle playfield on WOZ.

Yeah, it's really not that bad. It is a bit daunting if you're not used to working on pins (which I wasn't before POTC.)

#1524 4 years ago

There, I fixed that for you:

Quoted from zaphX:

Yeah, it's really not that bad. It is a bit DAUNTLESS if you're not used to working on pins (which I wasn't before POTC.)

#1525 4 years ago

There, I fixed that for you:

That's a pinside no-no. Friendly warning before you get modded one of these times. You can't change what's said in a quote, even if it's obviously a joke. <--voice of experience talking

#1527 4 years ago

I am running into a problem that looks similar to something covered, but I need advice. My plunger and auto-plunger don’t have enough velocity to make it around the top consistently. What I found was that the ball guide coming out of the shooter lane has a flat rather than rounded bottom where it attaches to the spotlight. The ball can literally rest on that cross beam when the playfield is partially raised. I am guessing that this is robbing the ball of speed regardless of how it is plunged. I am nervous just bending it to minimize the contact. I could some ideas on how to alter this.

Thank you

03AD85A2-45E4-4F55-87E1-0A5B60B32137 (resized).jpeg03AD85A2-45E4-4F55-87E1-0A5B60B32137 (resized).jpeg768B378A-553A-4720-B588-4056CB6E90F3 (resized).jpeg768B378A-553A-4720-B588-4056CB6E90F3 (resized).jpeg
#1528 4 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I am running into a problem that looks similar to something covered, but I need advice. My plunger and auto-plunger don’t have enough velocity to make it around the top consistently. What I found was that the ball guide coming out of the shooter lane has a flat rather than rounded bottom where it attaches to the spotlight. The ball can literally rest on that cross beam when the playfield is partially raised. I am guessing that this is robbing the ball of speed regardless of how it is plunged. I am nervous just bending it to minimize the contact. I could some ideas on how to alter this.
Thank you[quoted image][quoted image]

If the ball's making contact with the cross-piece, bending, grinding, or removing are your only options. I'd try bending first (can you bend a small divot in the middle to let the ball pass unaccosted?), then grinding (dremel tool is your friend). Removal I'd only do after consulting with JJP. Dunno why they made that cross-piece flat there.

#1529 4 years ago

I had the same problem. Look for some of my previous posts with pictures. Just use a dremel and it will work out. You have to take the wireform out to do this properly.

#1530 4 years ago

Problem: software bug.

I started “dead mans chest” wizard mode while Tortuga MB was ready. After starting the wizard mode a ball entered the Tortuga scoop and the Tortuga MB started. To me this ruïned the wizard mode. If I remember correctly the wizard mode shots were not very visible any more due to the lighted inserts from Tortuga MB. The Tortuga callouts were also heared a lot.

Solution: disable Tortuga MB once a wizard mode has started.

#1531 4 years ago

Problem: Load cannon door partially blocks shots to the 'LOAD' stand up target making hard / impossible to register a hit to that stand up.

Solution: Add 3 SAE #10 washers to left side door mounting pin (see pic). This will align the door fully left, clearing the stand up, there's lot's of left/right play in this hinge from factory.

InkedIMG_2425_LI (resized).jpgInkedIMG_2425_LI (resized).jpg
#1532 4 years ago

Problem: Load cannon door doesn't fully open or close. When closed, some shots still go into cannon while some shots are rejected when door is 'open'. The difference between open and closed was so subtle on mine that I didn't notice the door opens only when the ball is on the upper playfield and closes when it leaves.

Solution: Bend cannon door up-stop up to allow greater range of movement (see pic). You'll have to play with it a bit to find the right spot for an improved range of movement.

InkedIMG_2426_LI (resized).jpgInkedIMG_2426_LI (resized).jpg

Here are some pics after making this tweak...
IMG_2427 (resized).jpegIMG_2427 (resized).jpegIMG_2428 (resized).jpegIMG_2428 (resized).jpeg

#1533 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Problem: Load cannon door doesn't fully open or close. When closed, some shots still go into cannon while some shots are rejected when door is 'open'. The difference between open and closed was so subtle on mine that I didn't notice the door opens only when the ball is on the upper playfield and closes when it leaves.
Solution: Bend cannon door up-stop up to allow greater range of movement (see pic). You'll have to play with it a bit to find the right spot for an improved range of movement.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

HA, I just posted this... your's is much more detailed, nice

#1534 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

[quoted image]

Awesome! Thank you so much! Just thought this was normal.

#1535 4 years ago

HA, I just posted this... your's is much more detailed, nice

Credit where credit is due, after reading your post I got curious if what you were talking about would fix my problem. When I saw that it did I wrote it up in a way my simple mind could fully comprehend.

#1536 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

[quoted image]

You might wanna get that bar that raises the door centered. I had similar issue out of box and door wasn’t able to fully open because the bar with the return spring was hitting the side and binding. Whole piece for me just moved with a smidge Of pressure. Maybe I’ll pull my glass today for maintence and take a pic or 2

#1537 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

You might wanna get that bar that raises the door centered. I had similar issue out of box and door wasn’t able to fully open because the bar with the return spring was hitting the side and binding. Whole piece for me just moved with a smidge Of pressure. Maybe I’ll pull my glass today for maintence and take a pic or 2

I think I saw what you were talking about, the bar hits the cannon lane divider yeah? I'll take another look at that, thanks.

#1538 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

I think I saw what you were talking about, the bar hits the cannon lane divider yeah? I'll take another look at that, thanks.

Yes exactly. Couldn’t think of what to call it but yess. Bar was hitting lane divider and binding. I had to move mine a grand total of 1-2 mm and issue was fixed

#1539 4 years ago

I can hardly close the lockdown bar. It is very tight. Is there a way to lock it more smoothly?

#1540 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

I can hardly close the lockdown bar. It is very tight. Is there a way to lock it more smoothly?

Did this happen right out of the box?

#1541 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Did this happen right out of the box?

Yes

#1542 4 years ago
Quoted from Zora:

Loosen the two brass screws on the lockdown bar a bit.

#1543 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Loosen the two brass screws on the lockdown bar a bit.

Haha. That easy?

Mine went from difficult to impossible after adding height to the playfield to fix plunger.

Will definitely try this. Only issue for me with not locking it down is the yellow lever can interfere with the coin door which in turn makes it so the action button doesn’t always register.

#1544 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Haha. That easy?
Mine went from difficult to impossible after adding height to the playfield to fix plunger.
Will definitely try this. Only issue for me with not locking it down is the yellow lever can interfere with the coin door which in turn makes it so the action button doesn’t always register.

You are correct. If you add secondary foam or other to the lock bar lifting up on the lock bar you will Need to also adjust the lock button to register correctly. You are Learning young Yoda!!! You have come along way Sincerely love to see how fast you are picking things up soon you will be the next LTG!

#1545 4 years ago

@harryhoudini

My game does the inner loop to BP sometimes. Seems to happen when that inner loop shot isn’t as accurate as it could be.

I thought it was odd, but also normal and was never bothered enough by it.

I would expect A LOT of games do this.

#1546 4 years ago

Map hole tnut fix. Not sure if this is the case with everyone. But an le I just bought had some serious putting in the balls, I suspected the culprit was the protruding tnut in the map hole.

Sure enough after a test the ball was contacting it.
47EA177F-5263-4B53-8BC5-4D7EC1A975BE (resized).jpeg47EA177F-5263-4B53-8BC5-4D7EC1A975BE (resized).jpeg

Solution masking taped the immediate area
E8EC78F2-F78B-4A34-AC21-715476EF743E (resized).jpegE8EC78F2-F78B-4A34-AC21-715476EF743E (resized).jpeg

Used a dremmel to grind it down
4658BB90-EEA5-420E-B7B4-2C5074214530 (resized).jpeg4658BB90-EEA5-420E-B7B4-2C5074214530 (resized).jpeg

#1547 4 years ago
Quoted from Soulrider911:

Map hole tnut fix. Not sure if this is the case with everyone. But an le I just bought had some serious putting in the balls, I suspected the culprit was the protruding tnut in the map hole.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Did you use something to catch the shaved metal that went inside the scoop? You don’t want that stuff all over the playfield

#1548 4 years ago

Yes I had a shop vac on hand , and a magnet, grab any extra fragments.

#1549 4 years ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That has to be the worst one I've seen yet.

#1550 4 years ago

[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Did you removed this via the subway to trim it or.......?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Inclusive GameWerks
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.