8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 71.
#1301 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My spotlight above Tortuga Tom always goes out. I've tried several bulbs. Any tricks for this?

When you say "goes out" do you mean pops out, turns off, or burns out? Does adjusting the legs on the bulb and reseating it restore the light?

#1302 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That's almost definitely what is happening. If you start right away (which we all do because it's such an addictive game) the balls stay put. If you give it a minute to get through game over, they will drop.
Sounds like normal operation to me.

I actually like this mechanic of the game. It is yet another option you have to change the gameplay slightly. By starting a game before they release your creating times where instead of having to launch a ball on lock it will just drop 1 for you. I like doing this when possible because it sets up a nice slow feed to hit a loop/map shot easy.

#1303 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My spotlight above Tortuga Tom always goes out. I've tried several bulbs. Any tricks for this?

I've been able to fix this 100%.

Pull out the bulb (straight out, do not twist.)

Straighten out the two wires and wrap e-tape around the base once, then fold them back.

They will stay in place and stay on.

#1304 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I've been able to fix this 100%.
Pull out the bulb (straight out, do not twist.)
Straighten out the two wires and wrap e-tape around the base once, then fold them back.
They will stay in place and stay on.

Were your bulbs not hot glued in? Usually JJP does this and combined with the legs being bent properly they seem to stay in place well (in fact, very hard to remove them to replace with others)

#1305 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Were your bulbs not hot glued in? Usually JJP does this and combined with the legs being bent properly they seem to stay in place well (in fact, very hard to remove them to replace with others)

Yes they were but that wasn't enough to make the electrical connection stable. The e-tape fix was dead reliable. I forget which pinsider suggested it, it was someone else here.

#1306 4 years ago

Are you using 12v bulbs?

Aren't they the standard 555 6.3vac bulbs?

#1307 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Aren't they the standard 555 6.3vac bulbs?

No.

LTG : )

#1308 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

No.

Oh. My stock one kept going on/off. It would come on if I put pressure on it, so I went to pull it out to try and modify it..and I broke it.

Edit. Just pulled a bulb from the coin slot and used that. All good.

#1309 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I did not find a reported problem or a fix for this: for some reason I am able to remove my backglass even though it should be locked. Anybody with a similar problem and what is the fix for this? Thanks for any info!

Mine was very firmly jammed in there. Definitely didn't just slide up and out. I assume due to shifting during shipping.

I'd like to hear more on this.. Still having loop issues too

Quoted from indypinhead:

I have the same issue w/ my POTC

Mine is clunky also.

#1310 4 years ago

Spotlights are 12v bulbs not 6v

#1311 4 years ago

Tried a few different bulbs in my coin door:

Color changing LED

Blue spot compared with OEM
0530191531 (resized).jpg0530191531 (resized).jpg

Blue spot with brighter blue spot
0530191532 (resized).jpg0530191532 (resized).jpg

Blue spot with green spot
0530191533 (resized).jpg0530191533 (resized).jpg

Blue spot with bright white spot
0530191536 (resized).jpg0530191536 (resized).jpg

OEM with bright white
0530191536a (resized).jpg0530191536a (resized).jpg

OEM with bright purple
0530191537 (resized).jpg0530191537 (resized).jpg
0530191539 (resized).jpg0530191539 (resized).jpg

#1312 4 years ago

Tried a few different bulbs in my coin door:
Color changing LED

Blue spot compared with OEM
[quoted image]
Blue spot with brighter blue spot
[quoted image]
Blue spot with green spot
[quoted image]
Blue spot with bright white spot
[quoted image]
OEM with bright white
[quoted image]
OEM with bright purple
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

That first one isn't bad on the slow pulse. The quick timing seems seizure inducing though...

#1313 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That first one isn't bad on the slow pulse. The quick timing seems seizure inducing though...

Yeah, there is no option on that as far as I know. I'm going to see if there is another supplier who has only a slow fade. Otherwise, I figure it's just a stupid fun thing and probably won't look at it much so won't be too bad.

#1314 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Mine was very firmly jammed in there. Definitely didn't just slide up and out. I assume due to shifting during shipping.

Mine is clunky also.

I don't know about the inner loop. If I hit it right mine goes around like a dream! If I'm a bit off, I guess it goes clunk and then falls down to the pops or somewhere else. I get the ship magnet taking it sometimes at weird moments.

But if it goes around nicely 3 - 4 times, and then I get a clunky shot.... isn't it me sucking more than anything else? I mean I'm the king of getting it to bounce around under the chest or piddling around in the star map area without doing anything.

One thing that does confuse me is how it determines if I get a map award on launch, sometimes I do a crappy loop first and it gives it to me, other times I do an awesome loop and into the map and nothing! Maybe these are the inconsistencies that Keefer is going to adjust.

I guess for me if I'm playing well, the inner loop is spot on, if I'm not it's clunky as hell. But I find this also for the chest, star map..... Some games I curse at the maelstrom.... just cant seem to hit it!

On a side note, I have had the maelstrom switch seem to trigger when I get the devils triangle. Will check my switches.

#1315 4 years ago

kinda like the blue and the green coin door lights. Whatever you end up with Im sure will look awesome

#1316 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

kinda like the blue and the green coin door lights. Whatever you end up with Im sure will look awesome

I spaced and didn't get red... I think that might look awesome re: pirates, but I think my 2nd choice is blue to match the cabinet. Green would probably rock on CE. In my WOZ I'm probably going to put in the RGB rotating ones.

#1317 4 years ago

Well, this isn't right. I went to start taking off parts to replace the rubber in the starfield and notice that the chest is really loose. Looking down behind it I can see the wood screw that holds it to the playfield isn't tight at all. This isn't the first loose thing I've found, sadly. I figured no problem, tighten it back down and be good. Once I did that the chest still moved and that's when I noticed the crack.

0530191942 (resized).jpg0530191942 (resized).jpg
#1318 4 years ago

Well, this isn't right. I went to start taking off parts to replace the rubber in the starfield and notice that the chest is really loose. Looking down behind it I can see the wood screw that holds it to the playfield isn't tight at all. This isn't the first loose thing I've found, sadly. I figured no problem, tighten it back down and be good. Once I did that the chest still moved and that's when I noticed the crack.[quoted image]

Ouch! Have you been stowing too much treasure??? You naughty pirate!!

#1319 4 years ago

Well, this isn't right. I went to start taking off parts to replace the rubber in the starfield and notice that the chest is really loose. Looking down behind it I can see the wood screw that holds it to the playfield isn't tight at all. This isn't the first loose thing I've found, sadly. I figured no problem, tighten it back down and be good. Once I did that the chest still moved and that's when I noticed the crack.[quoted image]

Oh noooo.....

#1320 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Ouch! Have you been stowing too much treasure??? You naughty pirate!!

Heh... too much booty.

Don't forget to inspect and replace your rubbers.

0530192035 (resized).jpg0530192035 (resized).jpg
#1321 4 years ago

You should be covered by warranty. If not, an angle and some rivets! So easy for a spot weld to break like that. Yep, getting me some perfectplays.

#1322 4 years ago

Heh... too much booty.
Don't forget to inspect and replace your rubbers.[quoted image]

Wish I could get me some booty...

#1323 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

You should be covered by warranty. If not, an angle and some rivets! So easy for a spot weld to break like that. Yep, getting me some perfectplays.

It's not welded, just bent and the metal is pretty thin. I am guessing repeated bashings while the other screw was loose caused it to bang back and forth. I figure if I am not covered and it's costly (usually JJP is not costly really) I'll do the riveted angle bracket or maybe easier to just throw a tack weld in there. Never get to use my welder anyhow.

#1324 4 years ago

Just worked out why I had a few issues.

C3B4AD54-60F0-459D-9857-390B21AE06BC (resized).jpegC3B4AD54-60F0-459D-9857-390B21AE06BC (resized).jpegF1C7062A-FF29-4476-9B15-44A0C0C6B4A0 (resized).jpegF1C7062A-FF29-4476-9B15-44A0C0C6B4A0 (resized).jpeg
#1325 4 years ago

Sorry to ask a question from beside your point, but how did you access the screw tying the chest to the playfield under the chest? Did you have to use some spesific tool?

#1326 4 years ago

Hi everyone,
I've looked around and can't find the solution for the ball getting stuck under the Dauntless. If I remember right, someone had the fix way back in the near beginning of the thread.

Any help is appreciated and thanks

#1327 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Just worked out why I had a few issues.[quoted image][quoted image]

Catapult mod?

#1328 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

Sorry to ask a question from beside your point, but how did you access the screw tying the chest to the playfield under the chest? Did you have to use some spesific tool?

A long 1/4” magnetic nut driver on an extension. If the playfield is pulled out all the way you can get the angle to get at the screw. You have to carefully guide the bit around the coil wires and mech. It is angled towards the right side of the playfield so go at it from that side. Look right behind the chest itself between the chest and coil assembly.

#1329 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Just worked out why I had a few issues.[quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty cat! =)

#1330 4 years ago

Okay guys..

Update!

My plunger is 100%. Like I full plunged a good 30 times and those forks didn't move. Period. SO HAPPY!
And my action button came in so working on replacing that now as well.

Edit: The playfield wasn't completely seated... ='(.

Double Edit: On a plus note, it helped me realize that I have the height issue. I had the bottom screw as low as it would go and I can see where the plunger is grazing the top. So I'll work on that fix.

Triple Edit: IT'S FIXED! ... No, for real this time. I used the felt tape that you would align the bottom of the machine with x4 on each side. Idk if it's the most efficient solution, but at least the look matches. Time to move on!

=)

#1331 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

No special tool other than a nut driver.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues#post-4933982

Quoted from joseph5185:

Okay guys..
Update!
My plunger is 100%. Like I full plunged a good 30 times and those forks didn't move. Period. SO HAPPY!
Double Edit: On a plus note, it helped me realize that I have the height issue. I had the bottom screw as low as it would go and I can see where the plunger is grazing the top. So I'll work on that fix.
Triple Edit: IT'S FIXED! ... No, for real this time. I used the felt tape that you would align the bottom of the machine with x4 on each side. Idk if it's the most efficient solution, but at least the look matches. Time to move on!
=)

I upvoted because edit button!

#1332 4 years ago

Sigh, just got my game... So how do I fix a mal aligned display? I searched this thread and a few others for the pinsider with the info. Loosening the screws doesn't seem to get the job done.

01E5054C-1AE7-42CC-9320-315FB122AF37 (resized).jpeg01E5054C-1AE7-42CC-9320-315FB122AF37 (resized).jpeg02A69FC9-E585-4931-8925-37B3BB7B2258 (resized).jpeg02A69FC9-E585-4931-8925-37B3BB7B2258 (resized).jpeg
#1333 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I upvoted because edit button!

HEH!

It's gotta be a long, narrow tool with a magnetic tip. I used a 1/4" magnetic nut driver with a really long extension on my drill. Not sure if one of my nut drivers would have reached, but I didn't try.

#1334 4 years ago

HEH!

It's gotta be a long, narrow tool with a magnetic tip. I used a 1/4" magnetic nut driver with a really long extension on my drill. Not sure if one of my nut drivers would have reached, but I didn't try.

Are we talking about the same thing? It's just the 5 screws underneath. No extension tool should be needed. Just a regular nut driver. Magnetic is nice but not required.

#1335 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Are we talking about the same thing? It's just the 5 screws underneath. No extension tool should be needed. Just a regular nut driver. Magnetic is nice but not required.

Probably not. I was talking about (and I thought responding to) removing the chest. For me it was the chest bracket held in place at one point by the starmap plastic (one mounting point from the chest to the bracket, and the bracket sits on two posts under the plastic) and then another point on the playfield to the left rear of the chest. You have to thread a narrow, long bit behind the chest (in front of the chest lock solenoid).

Here is the screw in question:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1336 4 years ago

Probably not. I was talking about (and I thought responding to) removing the chest. For me it was the chest bracket held in place at one point by the starmap plastic (one mounting point from the chest to the bracket, and the bracket sits on two posts under the plastic) and then another point on the playfield to the left rear of the chest. You have to thread a narrow, long bit behind the chest (in front of the chest lock solenoid).
Here is the screw in question:[quoted image]

I’m an idiot. I thought he was talking about the forks. You were right I was wrong!

#1337 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Okay guys..
Update!
=)

Quoted from joseph5185:

Okay guys..
Update!
=)

Pics would be nice. How did you fix the plunger issue?

#1338 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Catapult mod?

Quoted from joseph5185:

Pretty cat! =)

Yep, it’s been fully accepted by the whole family now. Brothers, Australian Spotted Mist. Charlie, the lighter one, always gets up on top of the glass at an inopportune moment. Likes to have his but on the glass during multiballs. Best place to sit right on top of the flippers.

#1339 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Yep, it’s been fully accepted by the whole family now. Brothers, Australian Spotted Mist. Charlie, the lighter one, always gets up on top of the glass at an inopportune moment. Likes to have his but on the glass during multiballs. Best place to sit right on top of the flippers.

You need to tell him puss-n-boots was a buccaneer from a different movie stay off POTC! Lol

#1340 4 years ago

Anyone else have a REALLY difficult time with that lockdown bar and is it really that important to be perfectly tight.

I’m thinking no.

#1341 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Anyone else have a REALLY difficult time with that lockdown bar and is it really that important to be perfectly tight.
I’m thinking no.

It doesn't need to be hella tight, no. And I put little felt/suede strips under either side past the foam that is there for the glass to protect from the bar hitting the side rails. I think this is where supplied mylar is supposed to go, but this stuff gives a bit more cushion, is black and slides a bit. I like it more and it supports the lockbar a bit on either side so even if it isn't a perfect fit there isn't a big ol wobble and metal on metal. I'll send you some if you want it.

0526191800 (resized).jpg0526191800 (resized).jpg
#1342 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

3 wide body JJP games here, no difficulty.

#1343 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

You need to tell him puss-n-boots was a buccaneer from a different movie stay off POTC! Lol

Don’t give Jjp any ideas! Incredibles or Megaminf I could handle. I know wrong thread!!!

#1344 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

3 wide body JJP games here, no difficulty.

It’s always been difficult and with added felt more so.

I’m sure it’s just some simple adjustment.

#1345 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Sigh, just got my game... So how do I fix a mal aligned display? I searched this thread and a few others for the pinsider with the info. Loosening the screws doesn't seem to get the job done.[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from CraigC:

Sigh, just got my game... So how do I fix a mal aligned display? I searched this thread and a few others for the pinsider with the info. Loosening the screws doesn't seem to get the job done.[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! That’s bad! Did u get it fixed?

#1346 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I’m thinking no.

I documented my situation a month or two back. Lots of issues. Ultimately shifted the receiver, and bent the hooks/tabs on the bar itself. Pain in the balls to learn on the fly, but it's part of pinball life.

Quoted from KornFreak28:

Wow! That’s bad! Did u get it fixed?

I had this issue also, as did several users. Seemingly from shipping. I've yet to make the adjustments on this specific issue.

#1347 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I documented my situation a month or two back. Lots of issues. Ultimately shifted the receiver, and bent the hooks/tabs on the bar itself. Pain in the balls to learn on the fly, but it's part of pinball life.

No doubt! It’s affecting 0 as far as I can tell and the lockdown bar isn’t moving.

#1348 4 years ago

Got my POTCLE last week. The upper playfield back bracket broke in shipping and JJP shipped one out to me right away. Put it on so that works fine, and now I find the Tortuga VUK opto is stuck on, except if I raise the playfield it goes off. Seems to work fine in any service position, but as soon as I start to lower the playfield into the cabinet, it comes on. All the wires on it seem fine, and since it works when up it is puzzling. Any ideas?

#1349 4 years ago

well maybe the wires aren't fine. Wiggling by the other end toggles the switch. Maybe a bad connecter

#1350 4 years ago
Quoted from CraigC:

Sigh, just got my game...

I had a similar problem to what I'm seeing here on yours, CraigC, only the bracket was not bent so severely. A gentle prise with pliers was enough to get the bracket in the right position so that the monitor locked in properly and level. When I first set the pin up, the monitor was not even seated in the hook (in the picture below). This was the problem which had bent the hook in the first place.

The other pics show some bubbling on the backglass, which, when poked with my finger, flaked off. Fortunately my distributor sorted that one out with a new backglass which is perfect. Yours seems to have a similar bubbling, or is that just from the camera?

Anyway, best wishes with getting the problem sorted.
20181209_125706 (resized).jpg20181209_125706 (resized).jpg20181209_121115 (resized).jpg20181209_121115 (resized).jpg20181209_125600 (resized).jpg20181209_125600 (resized).jpg20181209_125614 (resized).jpg20181209_125614 (resized).jpg

It's a good job this is such an amazingly brilliant game, or I might have been cross about it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Shooter rods
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.