8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 71.
#1251 4 years ago

Just had a minor issue with the left upper flipper not falling back down all the way. Took the spring off, shortened it a few loops and it’s back to normal.

#1252 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Just had a minor issue with the left upper flipper not falling back down all the way. Took the spring off, shortened it a few loops and it’s back to normal.

When I replaced the rubbers on mine the metal guide behind the flipper was too close to it and was preventing it from returning. I had to manually bend the metal guide back a bit, FYI.

#1253 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Are you talking one from JJP sent? Because the JJP part is not the Stern part, the Stern part is noticeably better. Not just the "getting stuck" issue but the overall action of the button. Maybe it's the spring, but it sure feels like a better part overall. It's not a question in my mind to replace it, just like if you are having whining noises replace the inline ground loop isolator with a $9 part from Amazon. I don't know if JJP is cheaping out on the parts (these two things and the posts with the sharp bottoms) but those things aren't right.

Fair enough. I stand corrected. My replacement was sent by my Australian distributor. Did not realise there are 2 different buttons out there. Mine is working fine now that I removed the small burr. As for the action of this other button, it costs $15 AUD to get it. I have repaired mine and they work. Will see how they go.

#1254 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Fair enough. I stand corrected. My replacement was sent by my Australian distributor. Did not realise there are 2 different buttons out there. Mine is working fine now that I removed the small burr. As for the action of this other button, it costs $15 AUD to get it. I have repaired mine and they work. Will see how they go.

The thing I noticed mostly was the "floppyness" of the button. The center part of the button which you depress is all sorts of loose on the JJP one I have. The stern one is much tighter/stiffer in that lateral motion but it isn't at all hindered in the up and down motion. It seems to have better action to it and feels more quality. It's a stupid, minor thing, so if the deburring solves it why not. I was ordering from Marco anyhow so I figured it was much easier just to swap it.

#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A switch somewhere else on the playfield is triggering when the ball is up top. If that happens, the door will not open or will close if it was open. Go into switch test mode and check for switches stuck and then if there are none, smack your open palm on the
playfield in different areas and see if a switch triggers from vibration.
BTW, this is covered in the index on post 1:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/3#post-4941255

Problem solved! Thanks

#1256 4 years ago

An issue crept up tonight with the right flipper registering as a spinner on the pearl. Every time the right flipper is pressed, it scores points and progresses toward the pearl cannon (as the spinner would). Has anyone seen this or have an idea what’s going on? Thank you for your time and any advice.

#1257 4 years ago
Quoted from Lazar:

An issue crept up tonight with the right flipper registering as a spinner on the pearl. Every time the right flipper is pressed, it scores points and progresses toward the pearl cannon (as the spinner would). Has anyone seen this or have an idea what’s going on? Thank you for your time and any advice.

Sounds like a vibration issue and maybe a broken opto. Put it in switch test mode and smack the mini PF firmly and see if anything triggers.

#1258 4 years ago
Quoted from Lazar:

Check your right opto on the right spinner on the pearl. Mine was broken and any vibration would set it off. I was boarding all day. It's the VUK behind it that's the culprit. It smashes balls into the opto. Turn it down to 20. I have a temporary fix for my opto, I just twisted the bottom until it was aligned.

#1259 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Sounds like a vibration issue and maybe a broken opto. Put it in switch test mode and smack the mini PF firmly and see if anything triggers.

too quick!!

#1260 4 years ago

I didn't realize the Stern button was generally just a better quality overall and has better action.

I thought it simply didn't stick.

Well...that's awesome!

Order placed!

#1261 4 years ago

I think my chest needs a little work.

I feel it could do a better job of locking balls.

Also, I have a ball that's stuck on the left side of the treasure chest. What's kinda interesting to me is that it doesn't do a ball search when I start a game.
Also, my chest release timer is set to 3.

I have removed that fork assembly once. The screws seem tight and I guess it's just kinda tricky to know which way to bend those forks or whatever. Plus, the forks wouldn't have anything to do with that ball not releasing right?

Edit: I'll play with the coil and see if it's firing in maintenance. I also read about a potential dirty opt sensor. Interesting.

Double Edit: What is your Tortuga coil set at (and where you can find this?) Mine is silly powerful. Like it launches balls into the air out of that hole...

#1262 4 years ago

My cannon doesn’t line up with the dauntless at all. It always hits the back side and will never go in. Which is misaligned?the dauntless or the cannon? Which is easier to adjust?

#1263 4 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

My cannon doesn’t line up with the dauntless at all. It always hits the back side and will never go in. Which is misaligned?the dauntless or the cannon? Which is easier to adjust?

Post 6315 in this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-official-owners-and-fan-club/page/127#post-4908779

LTG : )

#1265 4 years ago

Ok so I've started to have irregular performance with the black pearl cannon gate. It seems as though the pictured spring attached to this hook thingy needs to be dead center. If the spring slides/pivots to the right during play the gate won't open all the way. Suggestions to stabilize this spring?
Screenshot_20190527-151004 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190527-151004 (resized).png

#1266 4 years ago
Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Ok so I've started to have irregular performance with the black pearl cannon gate. It seems as though the pictured spring attached to this hook thingy needs to be dead center. If the spring slides/pivots to the right during play the gate won't open all the way. Suggestions?[quoted image]

Did you go into switch test mode and smack around on the playfield making sure some lower playfield switch wasn't triggering from vibration? If it is, that gate won't open or will open and close.

#1267 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you go into switch test mode and smack around on the playfield making sure some lower playfield switch wasn't triggering from vibration? If it is, that gate won't open or will open and close.

No, but pretty sure it's not that. When this spring is misaligned it still opens and stays open just not all the way.

If I manually move this little spring back center performance goes back to 100 percent and gate will fully open and I don't notice any lower playfield triggered glitches.

If it slides over to the right edge of this plastic with hole or whatever it is that's it's attached to, the gate doesn't open fully (but stays open as it should).

#1268 4 years ago

No, but pretty sure it's not that. When this spring is misaligned it still opens and stays open just not all the way.
If I manually move this little spring back center performance goes back to 100 percent and gate will fully open and I don't notice any lower playfield triggered glitches.
If it slides over to the right edge of this plastic with hole or whatever it is that's it's attached to, the gate doesn't open fully (but stays open as it should).

I am having flashbacks and nightmares of the WOZ castle doors springs. I just had to fix mine for like the 30th time. I think I finally have it settled, just the right amount of tension.

#1269 4 years ago

Ok so I've started to have irregular performance with the black pearl cannon gate. It seems as though the pictured spring attached to this hook thingy needs to be dead center. If the spring slides/pivots to the right during play the gate won't open all the way. Suggestions to stabilize this spring?
[quoted image]

I had this same problem new out of the box. In shipping it must have misaligned a tad. If I remember right It was a 2-3 screws to get the decking off. Then maybe 2 screws to loosen coil and pivot it back to center. Tighten screws back ( on mine I think I was able to just pivot it and not loosen the screws). manually move the gate up and down to make sure the bar that spring attaches to doesnt hit and you will be golden.

#1270 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

I had this same problem new out of the box. In shipping it must have misaligned a tad. If I remember right It was a 2-3 screws to get the decking off. Then maybe 2 screws to loosen coil and pivot it back to center. Tighten screws back ( on mine I think I was able to just pivot it and not loosen the screws). manually move the gate up and down to make sure the bar that spring attaches to doesnt hit and you will be golden.

Ended up just making coil bracket adjustment from service position in the back, you don't need to take anything off. Thanks!

#1271 4 years ago

A brief update on my chest issue..

Sometimes the captured ball will release after the game ends. Possible I have a rogue ball or something. lol

I can lock balls but I feel the probability has decreased to like 20%.

It’s interesting too. I can see the ball pretty much ride up that fork and it just can’t quite get there so I’m not sure if it’s more of a bend or a left or right adjustment. Last time I checked the forks they were tight.

I’ll have to work on manually rolling balls up it while capturing a slow-motion video and see if I can better understand exactly what is happening..

#1272 4 years ago

Captured ball should release after the game is over (unless you start a new game before it gets to that point). Balls being able to make it up the forks was covered here, did you do all that? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues#post-4933982

#1273 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Captured ball should release after the game is over (unless you start a new game before it gets to that point). Balls being able to make it up the forks was covered here, did you do all that? https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues#post-4933982

AH! I MAY have started a game before it had a chance to release. I did not consider this...

Yes. Once. But IDK exactly what is happening that's why I think I need to capture the action...

#1274 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

AH! I MAY have started a game before it had a chance to release. I did not consider this...
Yes. Once. But IDK exactly what is happening that's why I think I need to capture the action...

That's almost definitely what is happening. If you start right away (which we all do because it's such an addictive game) the balls stay put. If you give it a minute to get through game over, they will drop.

Sounds like normal operation to me.

#1275 4 years ago

Finally stopped playing the thing long enough to do some work on it. A bunch of switches hadn't been hit in a while because my cannon wouldn't load anymore. The spring that connects to the gate mechanism for loading the cannon came loose and I had to reattach it; they sure don't make that easy.

Now all that's left is to install the subway post and to gap the stuck slingshot switch on the left side of the chapter select. I'm hoping I don't need to remove it, and it's easier than I'm expecting because it's lower on the playfield (when flipped upside down.)

#1276 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That's almost definitely what is happening. If you start right away (which we all do because it's such an addictive game) the balls stay put. If you give it a minute to get through game over, they will drop.

For sure. In fact, I don’t think I hear the ball release until after I hear “Game Over” and that’s well past the point of spinning the character wheel.

Just need to be a bit more aware of this.

#1277 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It's a weird mechanism on the chest - the end is pretty flimsy. Seems like it would have been better/more robust to put a hole on the bottom on the end and have a solenoid pull back to let the balls drop out the bottom one at a time.

#1278 4 years ago

Regularly I get the “boarding party” message across the display, but no ball enters the mini playfield. In test with the glass of I cannot find yet the switch that triggers this unwanted behaviour.
I suspect a overly sensitive spinner opto.
Any suggestions?

2. I lowered the power of the BP VUK from 32 to 18 and it still lanches the ball perfectly onto the deck. I recommend this adjustment, since the stock setting is 32!!!! Which is way to hard.

#1279 4 years ago

Suggestion - tests switch test matrix switch test then look at the grid while you tap on the Pearl near the flippers - create a little vibration and see what triggers. Spinner opto it could be or something else up there.

#1280 4 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Regularly I get the “boarding party” message across the display, but no ball enters the mini playfield. In test with the glass of I cannot find yet the switch that triggers this unwanted behaviour.
I suspect a overly sensitive spinner opto.
Any suggestions?
2. I lowered the power of the BP VUK from 32 to 18 and it still lanches the ball perfectly onto the deck. I recommend this adjustment, since the stock setting is 32!!!! Which is way to hard.

Check the right spinner opto, 3 of us have had ours snapped in the middle. If it is, Twist the bottom half so it is aligned correctly.

Here was mine.

And yes, the powerful VUK broke it.

6E9FBD88-C707-4F4E-9D3F-C9D2CFC7D048 (resized).jpeg6E9FBD88-C707-4F4E-9D3F-C9D2CFC7D048 (resized).jpegD4AFBA50-F075-4FA0-B635-AF1B04FBF283 (resized).jpegD4AFBA50-F075-4FA0-B635-AF1B04FBF283 (resized).jpeg
#1281 4 years ago

Had the left flipper on the pearl lock on, is this a TIP102?

#1282 4 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

Had the left flipper on the pearl lock on, is this a TIP102?

IRL 540 - good robust transistor akin to the TIP122 but can handle more amps more often.

#1283 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

IRL 540 - good robust transistor akin to the TIP122 but can handle more amps more often.

thanks, will this work?

https://pu-parts.com/irf540-npbf-transistor

#1284 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Check the right spinner opto, 3 of us have had ours snapped in the middle. And yes, the powerful VUK broke it.[quoted image][quoted image]

Has anyone hacked something to protect this area or does just turning down the VUK pretty much get rid of this issue?

#1285 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Has anyone hacked something to protect this area or does just turning down the VUK pretty much get rid of this issue?

Turning down the VUK seems to be the solution. I would love to see some protection there, mine was one of the broken ones.

#1286 4 years ago
Quoted from jarozi:

Turning it down to around 18-22 seems to get rid of the bashing. The one we got was maxed out at 32 from the factory!

#1287 4 years ago

To reiterate, mine was 18 from the factory.

#1288 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

To reiterate, mine was 18 from the factory.

Interesting....

#1289 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Interesting....

Not so much. I’m happy it was and after hearing that games apparently set at who knows what, it wasn’t really surprising at all.

Edit: Mine also had Mylar installed under the VUK as well.

#1290 4 years ago

I did not find a reported problem or a fix for this: for some reason I am able to remove my backglass even though it should be locked. Anybody with a similar problem and what is the fix for this? Thanks for any info!

#1291 4 years ago

I’ve had my SE almost a week and am loving it.

When I first turn on the machine (at times), all the PF insert lights are off (only GI is on), and this continues when I start a new game. I then restart the machine and everything is fine. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

#1292 4 years ago
Quoted from Nepi23:

I did not find a reported problem or a fix for this: for some reason I am able to remove my backglass even though it should be locked. Anybody with a similar problem and what is the fix for this? Thanks for any info!

Look at the backbox lock to see if the keeper either fell off or is turned the wrong direction.

#1293 4 years ago
Quoted from Blind_Willie:

I’ve had my SE almost a week and am loving it.
When I first turn on the machine (at times), all the PF insert lights are off (only GI is on), and this continues when I start a new game. I then restart the machine and everything is fine. Any thoughts on what might be causing this?

BAG board mounted under the playfield controls all of the lighting more or less. There is a mini USB connector on that board which can come loose or get misaligned in its socket. It's the only mini-USB under the field and usually has a factory tie-wrap on it to hold it in place. Examine and re-seat or straighten if needed. The other end of that USB cable plugs into the "bottom" of the motherboard below the metal box behind the monitor (with the security dongle and the VGA and everything else). Unseat and re-seat the USBs there with game power off. Don't move them to other ports, just unplug and replug.

#1294 4 years ago

The upper interior loop isn’t very smooth on my game, the transition between the rails seems to have s thunk that is robbing a smooth fast loop. I still get multiple loops in a row but a clean shot sometimes barely makes it around. I’ve played with the slope and the game is level. Can the rails be tweaked?

#1295 4 years ago

My spotlight above Tortuga Tom always goes out. I've tried several bulbs. Any tricks for this?

#1296 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Look at the backbox lock to see if the keeper either fell off or is turned the wrong direction.

Hmm - doesn't this look to be ok?

IMG_6134 (resized).JPGIMG_6134 (resized).JPG
#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My spotlight above Tortuga Tom always goes out. I've tried several bulbs. Any tricks for this?

Are you using 12v bulbs?

#1298 4 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

The upper interior loop isn’t very smooth on my game, the transition between the rails seems to have s thunk that is robbing a smooth fast loop. I still get multiple loops in a row but a clean shot sometimes barely makes it around. I’ve played with the slope and the game is level. Can the rails be tweaked?

I'd like to hear more on this.. Still having loop issues too

#1299 4 years ago

THANKS for the info, Pinballomatic. I’ll check those connectors tonight!

#1300 4 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

I have the same issue w/ my POTC

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Smithtown, NY
Wanted
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

24,999 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Frisco, TX
There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/26?hl=joseph5185 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.