8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 71.
#1001 4 years ago

I occasionally stare at it, and don't notice any recognizable patterns. Maybe I need to "lazy eye" it like those 3d posters. haha.

#1002 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

PROBLEM: The metal rails in the shooter lane are malformed, causing bad plunges
SOLUTION: Take pictures of the shooter lane before removal, noting the angle of attack into the right orbit. Remove the shooter lane. It has 3 connection points, one hex screw near the top, the “stack” which holds the right strobe, and a small black screw near the bottom. With the wireform removed, gently bend the bottom two forks such that they are slightly down and slightly apart. The goal here is to make them hug the shooter lane when reinserted. When reassembling, take care not to strip the black screw. I was advised to put the screw in and gently turn counterclockwise until it rises up, to ensure it hit the threads correctly on reinsertion. This fixed the problems with the shooter completely.

I really struggled with this for a couple months now. I even read this post a couple of times, however my manual shooter rod worked without issue. I didn't think the rails could be the issue if the manual shooter worked ok. The auto launcher failed to launch past the post that guards the Locker Room Escape about 90% of the time. After I removed the shooter lane wire ramp and bent the right rail (a very small amount), I haven't had any issues since.

20190513_105328_25 (resized).jpg20190513_105328_25 (resized).jpg20190513_105410_25 (resized).jpg20190513_105410_25 (resized).jpg
#1003 4 years ago
Quoted from MarZ_78:

I didn't think the rails could be the issue if the manual shooter worked ok.

That was exactly my experience; the manual plunger was 100% problem free while the autoplunger struggled more than half the time. I guess it has to do with angle of attack on the autoplunger fork vs the manual plunger?

Glad you were able to fix it! Mine has been dead perfect since correcting my rails and I'm very happy with it.

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Can someone point me to the instructions to remove the ship to Install the cliffy for the map hole?
Does the pop bumper need to come out to Install the mystery hole cliffy?

Tortuga hole cliffy:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues#post-4934930

Also, skip taking the two screws out of the top of the barrel and jump to using an allen wrench through the little hole on the side of the barrel to remove the whole barrel at once.

#1005 4 years ago

Please report your issues with star post cracking and dimpling here. We need to have a centralized count and report so we can push this issue forward.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-

#1006 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

That was exactly my experience; the manual plunger was 100% problem free while the autoplunger struggled more than half the time. I guess it has to do with angle of attack on the autoplunger fork vs the manual plunger?
Glad you were able to fix it! Mine has been dead perfect since correcting my rails and I'm very happy with it.

I forgot to give you credit. You're suggestion was the reason I went back and looked again at the rails. Thank you sir!

#1007 4 years ago

My yellow lockdown handle is so tight, I have to use two hands to move it.

#1008 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

My yellow lockdown handle is so tight, I have to use two hands to move it.

the two brass screws under the lockdown bar can be adjusted to make it easier.

#1009 4 years ago
Quoted from JamCat:

Does anyone know if it's possible to install the starmap on an SE? Or is the SE missing the connectors and other essential hardware for it? I've been trying to get an LE or CE and just can't get my hands on one to save my life. As soon as one is listed it's sold in minutes. I've got all of the instant alerts setup, but still miss out every time. I was thinking of buying an SE and trying to upgrade it as an alternative. What else is missing off the SE besides startmap, powder coat topper, shaker and invisiglass?

Starmap installation is possible on an SE, at least with update at .98. All that is missing is a cat 5 cable and 5v power supply. If I remember correctly, Cat 5 connects to J109 under the playfield.

The issue, however, is twofold. (1) JJ will not sell the starmap to an SE owner; (2) the starmap may be blocked on future updates by the SE dongle, like the CE topper is blocked on the LE and SE.

#1010 4 years ago

With my POTC LE, i fixed a not listed issue. Fork mech issue stated by the pin as "Malfunction detected". Problem was on the small coil under PF who is releasing the fork. the Little arm bended needed manual ajustement, the gap was too width. Similar as Dialed In Trap Door knows issue where mech is similar.

#1011 4 years ago

This screw look familiar at all? It looks like it is brass or brass colored.
This rolled down to the right flipper last night with a ball. I think it came from around the ship or FOY area but not sure. I don’t see any similar screws. Not sure if it is from under the ship or the chest.
48780D63-B719-47C2-B817-5DACB6A94ACA (resized).jpeg48780D63-B719-47C2-B817-5DACB6A94ACA (resized).jpeg

#1012 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I would love for someone from JJP to tell me how to read that f'ing starmap.

When it clicks it clicks. I spent a month trying to figure the dam thing out then one night I looked at it and said that looks like a ship and hit the ship shot and got credit. Try watching someone else play and stand back far form the map and look at it as a whole picture not as stars. The pop up that shows you you hit the shot also shows the pattern displayed. So if you can watch a few games and when you see the pop up pay attn to how the stars look. The part that I didnt understand for the longest time was all of the stars are a part of the picture. I was trying to distinguish fast blinkers from slow blinkers and find a picture from it and thats not how it works. Also try looking at the map from farther away thats how I started to figure out the patterns.

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

the two brass screws under the lockdown bar can be adjusted to make it easier.

Sweet. Man, they had them cranked down from the factory.

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

This screw look familiar at all? It looks like it is brass or brass colored.
This rolled down to the right flipper last night with a ball. I think it came from around the ship or FOY area but not sure. I don’t see any similar screws. Not sure if it is from under the ship or the chest.
[quoted image]

That might be the adjuster screw for one of the pop up diverter posts. if its a really tiny screw it might be one of the screws mounting the pcb boards. Hope this helps.

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Sweet. Man, they had them cranked down from the factory.

Mine we're really cranked down too.

#1016 4 years ago

So havnt played a ton of games on .99 but have noticed a weird issue starting multiballs. On occasion the game is kicking a ball out but not auto launching it. Literally watched it kick 3 balls out and the launcher not go off once. After 3 balls were there it started trying to get all the balls out. Have noticed during several games since update I have had multiple ball pushed/stuck in shooter lane. I still have not done any troubleshooting on it as I have order from jjp coming wednsday that is going to require me to remove BP. Going to all maintenance when that comes in including waxing and installing mylar at chapter select area.

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

So havnt played a ton of games on .99 but have noticed a weird issue starting multiballs. On occasion the game is kicking a ball out but not auto launching it. Literally watched it kick 3 balls out and the launcher not go off once. After 3 balls were there it started trying to get all the balls out. Have noticed during several games since update I have had multiple ball pushed/stuck in shooter lane. I still have not done any troubleshooting on it as I have order from jjp coming wednsday that is going to require me to remove BP. Going to all maintenance when that comes in including waxing and installing mylar at chapter select area.

Check the shooter lane switch with a ball (not your finger). Put it in switch test mode, manually put a ball into the shooter lane and see if the shooter lane switch registers.roll it off the switch then let it roll back on and see if the switch activates freely. If it doesn't, just adjust the switch until it registers.

#1018 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check the shooter lane switch with a ball (not your finger). Put it in switch test mode, manually put a ball into the shooter lane and see if the shooter lane switch registers.roll it off the switch then let it roll back on and see if the switch activates freely. If it doesn't, just adjust the switch until it registers.

Ya I know. Noticed it last night but didnt think anything of it. Then this morning watched it put 3 balls into shooter lane and then auto launch. Today was fish tank maintenance day so no work on machine. Did a small test after I was done with fish tank and basically just launched a ball and then let the auto save do its thing. All 3 balls the auto launch took prolly 10 seconds after ball was in the lane. The third one it went into ball search mode so more than likely it is the shooter lane switch. Will pull the glass in the morning and test to find out what is going on. Thanks for the tip

#1019 4 years ago

I read a few posts about flickering topper and spotlights.
Followed up every tip/fix I could find but no succes for me...

My topper is flickering too but when it does ALL the spotlights and the ledstrip on the left side of the BP ramp flicker too.
At the exact same time. And it happens irregular but A LOT and all the time.
Is anyone having the same problem or are all the spotlights and ledstrip supposed to flicker in sync with the topper??

#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Ya I know. Noticed it last night but didnt think anything of it. Then this morning watched it put 3 balls into shooter lane and then auto launch. Today was fish tank maintenance day so no work on machine. Did a small test after I was done with fish tank and basically just launched a ball and then let the auto save do its thing. All 3 balls the auto launch took prolly 10 seconds after ball was in the lane. The third one it went into ball search mode so more than likely it is the shooter lane switch. Will pull the glass in the morning and test to find out what is going on. Thanks for the tip

Will need pics of fish tank.

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_G_Hosting:

Followed up every tip/fix I could find but no succes for
me...
My topper is flickering too but when it does ALL the
spotlights
and the ledstrip on the left side of the BP ramp flicker too.
At the exact same time. And it happens irregular but A LOT
and all the time.
Is anyone having the same problem or are all the spotlights
and ledstrip supposed to flicker in sync with the
topper??

Yea. Mine does. The one I played on location did.

I think it’s supposed to maybe simulate a storm or lightning or something...

I think it’s normal.

#1022 4 years ago

Followed up every tip/fix I could find but no succes for
me...
My topper is flickering too but when it does ALL the spotlights
and the ledstrip on the left side of the BP ramp flicker too.
At the exact same time. And it happens irregular but A LOT
and all the time.
Is anyone having the same problem or are all the spotlights
and ledstrip supposed to flicker in sync with the topper??

Normal far as i know. Only happens while playing, right?

#1023 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Normal far as i know. Only happens while playing, right?

Happens while playing, and in attract mode.
I only know my game, never seen one on location.
But if it’s supposed to do that i’m ok with it of course!
Thanks.

#1024 4 years ago

Happens while playing, and in attract mode.
I only know my game, never seen one on location.
But if it’s supposed to do that i’m ok with it of course!
Thanks.

Mine does it, I don’t like it.

#1025 4 years ago

I like the flickering, I think it is supposed to simulate the flickering of a torch flame.
Problem is the led color isn’t warm and doesn’t really make it seem like that. It also doesn’t help that the torches on the topper are a sticker or decal.

#1026 4 years ago

I like it...

lol

Would think there's options for this in the menu.

#1027 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I like it...
lol

there is an option for topper and GI brightness in the settings. if you put it on max, it's not supposed to flicker, lowering the value may cause flickering. No idea why this would be the case or what is causing it. It happens on DI too with the betty spotlight.

#1028 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine does it, I don’t like it.

I don’t like it either...
Topper flickering is no problem for me but the flickering spotlights is a little too much in my opinion...

But if it’s programmed to do so i’ll have to accept it for now...

#1029 4 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

I like the flickering, I think it is supposed to simulate the
flickering of a torch flame.
Problem is the led color isn’t warm and doesn’t really make
it seem like that. It also doesn’t help that the torches on the
topper are a sticker or decal.

I like the topper flickering too, but the spotlights should just light up and stay on without flickering. Wish there was an option for that in the menu.

#1030 4 years ago

I like the topper flickering too, but the spotlights should just
light up and stay on without flickering. Wish there was an option
for that in the menu.

The spots should be staying on. Are you 100% sure the spots are flickering in tandem with the topper?

#1031 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The spots should be staying on. Are you 100% sure the spots are
flickering in tandem with the topper?

Yep 100% sure!

#1032 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I like it...
lol

I don't even notice it. (The topper nor the flickering)

#1033 4 years ago

My spots don’t flicker with topper

#1034 4 years ago

My spots don't flicker either.

#1035 4 years ago

Ok, so I do have a problem...
I already thought that it wasn’t normal because it’s extremely distracting...
I’ll post a video later.

#1036 4 years ago

My spots also don't flicker (of course the BP lanterns do) but my topper flickers like the dickens and I have it set to max brightness and the attract mode off. Not sure if there is any other change to do.

#1037 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

My spots also don't flicker (of course the BP lanterns do) but
my topper flickers like the dickens and I have it set to max
brightness and the attract mode off. Not sure if there is any other
change to do.

WoZ topper flickers, too. It seems like they just need to read up on how to drive the LEDs smoothly. If LED OCD can do it, they can, too. The LED OCD board has excellent, smooth LED fades in and out.

#1038 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

WoZ topper flickers, too. It seems like they just need to read
up on how to drive the LEDs smoothly. If LED OCD can do it, they
can, too. The LED OCD board has excellent, smooth LED fades in and
out.

Yup, you're right... incidentally so does the throne room light (on the wizard plastic).

#1039 4 years ago

when you didnt even realize you had a problem. My spotlights also flicker with the topper. Can be annoying at times but thought that was normal.

#1040 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

when you didnt even realize you had a problem. My spotlights also flicker with the topper. Can be annoying at times but thought that was normal.

Well...I thought they didn’t, but I never noticed it or paid attention to it.

I will now...

#1041 4 years ago

So, maybe there is no problem after all and it’s completely normal.
Maybe some people just notice it a little better than others.

I just watched the last JJP POTC stream very closely and I noticed their spotlights were flickering too.
Although on camera the flickering effect is more difficult to see.

#1042 4 years ago

So, maybe there is no problem after all and it’s completely normal.
Maybe some people just notice it a little better than others.
I just watched the last JJP POTC stream very closely and I noticed their spotlights were flickering too.
Although on camera the flickering effect is more difficult to see.

Maybe! ... =)

#1043 4 years ago

I'm still struggling with this ongoing discussion about soft playfield and overtightening sling screws and on and on and on...

Honestly, I think I need to put a good 1,000 games on this or so and ACTUALLY PLAY the damn thing before I start obsessing over something new. Plus, I was one of the fortunate ones? I guess because I have the washers already installed underneath the sling posts. It doesn't look the best being metal but meh.. don't even see 'em with the lights out!

#1044 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I'm still struggling with this ongoing discussion about soft playfield and overtightening sling screws and on and on and on...
Honestly, I think I need to put a good 1,000 games on this or so and ACTUALLY PLAY the damn thing before I start obsessing over something new. Plus, I was one of the fortunate ones? I guess because I have the washers already installed underneath the sling posts. It doesn't look the best being metal but meh.. don't even see 'em with the lights out!

Come on over, we're discussing here... might nice to move it out of this thread https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-/page/3#post-4993917

#1045 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Honestly, I think I need to put a good 1,000 games on this or so and ACTUALLY PLAY the damn thing before I start obsessing over something new.

This is the absolute best advice you’ve ever given yourself.

I un favorited the other thread on the issue because it’s borderline hysteria.

#1046 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

This is the absolute best advice you’ve ever given yourself.
I un favorited the other thread on the issue because it’s borderline hysteria.

Eh, I know your opinion on it but I think there is still some validity to the issue of a game that is less than a year old losing pieces of the playfield. Is there too much hysteria, I think in a hobby with this kind of money involved and passion there is going to be stuff like that, but I think JJP isn't helping by not getting involved.

#1047 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep had a wire come loose off the shooter lane switch. 5 second solder job and all is good again. On a side note had to do a little cleaning because glass was off (going to do full maintenance tomorrow) and cleaned the in/out lanes and map spinner. Spinning Map had some rowdy ball dust on it, like literally changed colors in front of my eyes. So psa when you guys are doing your minor maintenances make sure to give you spinning map some love easy to forget about.

Edit* Also changed out the balls as a couple of mine looked fairly rough. One actually kinda looked like a gold ball with a shitton of little dimples in it. The standard marco pinballs are correct? Can order something different if thats not right but had a spare 5 pack in my repair box so swapped them in and retired the old balls.

#1048 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Yep had a wire come loose off the shooter lane switch. 5 second solder job and all is good again. On a side note had to do a little cleaning because glass was off (going to do full maintenance tomorrow) and cleaned the in/out lanes and map spinner. Map spinner had some rowdy ball dust on it, like literally changed colors in front of my eyes. So psa when you guys are doing your minor maintenances make sure to give you spinning map some love easy to forget about.
Edit* Also changed out the balls as a couple of mine looked fairly rough. One actually kinda looked like a gold ball with a shitton of little dimples in it. The standard marco pinballs are correct? Can order something different if thats not right but had a spare 5 pack in my repair box so swapped them in and retired the old balls.

Map spinner? Depths spinner or BP spinners are all I know.

Did you see if you had the t-nut issue in the map hole? That could be causing your balls to get nicked up. As far as I know standard balls are ok, although I think there was some debate about magnetism and ball type.

#1049 4 years ago

Map spinner? Depths spinner or BP spinners are all I know.
Did you see if you had the t-nut issue in the map hole? That could be causing your balls to get nicked up. As far as I know standard balls are ok, although I think there was some debate about magnetism and ball type.

the actual spinning map that makes your ball go all over the place....you know the omni directional spinning map
I did see the T-nut issue. Will prolly fix it one of these days but have to wait till I got a few hours with no one in the house.

#1050 4 years ago

Eh, I know your opinion on it but I think there is still some validity to the issue of a game that is less than a year old losing pieces of the playfield. Is there too much hysteria, I think in a hobby with this kind of money involved and passion there is going to be stuff like that, but I think JJP isn't helping by not getting involved.

I have to agree...

Some of those pics are very, very bad and for JJP to do 0 about it.

I just don’t know...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 38.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Vernon, BC
Wanted
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,538 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/21?hl=marz_78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.