8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 71.
#801 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

You don’t remove the BP to fix the spinner. Just the piece covering the spinner. I’m guessing you just accidentally tweaked it when you had the BP off before.

Yea. You’re right. I realized that when the game is pulled out I can easily get to those nuts on top.

If I can figure out what happened with the left flipper, I won’t take it off.

#802 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Yea. You’re right. I realized that when the game is pulled out I can easily get to those nuts on top.
If I can figure out what happened with the left flipper, I won’t take it off.

If your next post is declaring how getting to the spinner was hell please please please sell your game to Zaphx!

#803 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

In car forums, sometimes people post “XXX build thread” to chronicle all their personal projects on a car without driving the rest of the forum crazy. Interested parties can subscribe, disinterested ones ignore it.
Would you consider a “Joseph’s Pinball OCD” thread?

Call me a sadist, but I'd give that thread a test subscribe. At least for a day.......hour maybe?

I think the key issue here for joseph5185 is maybe taking time exploring these issues, reading up on them, reflecting, PMing here and there, and then as a last resort....asking or stating issues in a thread. I know I encounter things here and there, we all do for sure on any new game, but taking time to assess, read, listen, and reflect will make everything here smoother for him and us all.

#804 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I also have opinions about crazy.

Ok I keep wanting to look away from this thread but you keep firing off zingers that Make me not want to walk away. I am in tears laughing at this feedback. lol Sad but just can't turn away......

#805 4 years ago

I'd like to make a suggestion because I so sincerely love Lloyd and he Is celebrating 7 years of Awesome JJP service. To ensure Lloyd #LTG another 30 years of job security #joseph5185 should Exclusively use the link at the top of the Pinside forum "Dear Lloyd" for all of his CGC, JJP, hell ALL games contact! Your welcome Lloyd, its the least I can do because we love you so much and Never want you to leave!!!!

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 12.47.51 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-05-09 at 12.47.51 AM (resized).png
#806 4 years ago

Okay, so... I know what's wrong with the flipper.

I'm looking forward to this response...

Despite the pawl nut being tight, I'm able to rotate the flipper rod that feeds into the assembly at the bottom.
How did "this" happen?

bp_2 (resized).pngbp_2 (resized).png
#807 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Okay, so... I know what's wrong with the flipper.
I'm looking forward to this response...
Despite the pawl nut being tight, I'm able to rotate the flipper rod that feeds into the assembly at the bottom.
How did "this" happen? [quoted image]

I *feel* like we've covered this... on a smaller scale.

I mean, if you can rotate the flipper shaft inside the clamp then it's not tight. I don't know what mine look like, but that clamp does not look cinched down at all, at least not compared to the older games I work on.

#808 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I *feel* like we've covered this... on a smaller scale.
I mean, if you can rotate the flipper shaft inside the clamp then it's not tight. I don't know what mine look like, but that clamp does not look cinched down at all, at least not compared to the older games I work on.

You are correct, Sir.

I "thought" it was tight...but it definitely went tighter and it's NOT moving inside now. Thank you!

Oh...and I sort of fixed the left BP spinner.

So when I took this piece off, it spins very happy and freely. I guess somehow this plastic piece is binding in some way. Has this been discussed?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#809 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

The game self-test is not a 100% indicator. Plenty of things can cause problems that don’t get caught by the test. For example, magnetized chrome balls.
The stuck spinner is a physical device. Look at it. Spin it with your finger. Find out what is binding it. It’s not something we can see from the picture.

Quoted from joseph5185:

You are correct, Sir.
I "thought" it was tight...but it definitely went tighter and it's NOT moving inside now. Thank you!
Oh...and I sort of fixed the left BP spinner.
So when I took this piece off, it spins very happy and freely. I guess somehow this plastic piece is binding in some way. Has this been discussed?
[quoted image]

This is feeling a bit like ground hog day... Not discussed in step by step detail but yes answered. Do NOT Take It Apart, Spin with finger and find out is and where it is binding! Bend, rubbing part as needed to make work correctly. Using your method, you did the opposite.... Don't think you'll follow this advise but what the heck. In Pinball, Don't start taking things apart till you know Why, and How and What the issue is. Then look, think, and adjust when you are Prepared to accomplish the task and know why your doing it. Worth a shot.

Ok, if ZaphX was serious, I am in for Half the cost of buying this. If only to Save it! lol

#810 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

This is feeling a bit like ground hog day... Not discussed in step by step detail but yes answered. Do NOT Take It Apart, Spin with finger and find out is and where it is binding! Bend, rubbing part as needed to make work correctly. Using your method, you did the opposite.... Don't think you'll follow this advise but what the heck. In Pinball, Don't start taking things apart till you know Why, and How and What the issue is. Then look, think, and adjust when you are Prepared to accomplish the task and know why your doing it. Worth a shot.
Ok, if ZaphX was serious, I am in for Half the cost of buying this. If only to Save it! lol

Umm.. it only binds when that plastic piece is on.

#811 4 years ago

That plastic piece LITERALLY sits on top of the spinner rod.

HOW is this not an issue for others?

I'm sorry, but no, I don't believe it.

Like REALLY...

#812 4 years ago

Don't worry about it.

Doesn't affect you, right?

I'll contact JJP in the morning. Poor design in my opinion and I'll get it straightened out with them.

APPRECIATE everyone's help!

=)

#813 4 years ago

Sigh so I log on one last time before bed and see 21 new posts. Something must be bumping right. Nope 14 Joseph posts and a couple replys.

Ok so lets think about this logically before posting 5 times on one thing (also you can edit your posts as you figure things out). So you spinner isnt spinning properly. You have finally figured out that the spinner is hitting the BP decking. What can be done to raise this part up a tad so it does not hit spinner?

1. You can bend the metal bracket up
2. The better option put a washer on the posts before putting deck back on. If 1 does not work put a second.

I feel like a lot of these issues you have can be fixed if you sit back look at the problem for more than 2 seconds. This is a very simple problem with a very simple solution. I had all the problems and then some for a good week and a half I was the guy posting about EVERYTHING I found wrong. I quickly learned most of the issues were A. previously covered and B. minor issues that may have seemed bad but were really just adjustments that most pins would need regardless.

That is all have a goood night. Get some washers fix your dam spinner and play your machine.

Edit* See how that works

#814 4 years ago
Quoted from GnarLee:

Sigh so I log on one last time before bed and see 21 new posts. Something must be bumping right. Nope 14 Joseph posts and a couple replys.
Ok so lets think about this logically before posting 5 times on one thing (also you can edit your posts as you figure things out). So you spinner isnt spinning properly. You have finally figured out that the spinner is hitting the BP decking. What can be done to raise this part up a tad so it does not hit spinner?
1. You can bend the metal bracket up
2. The better option put a washer on the posts before putting deck back on. If 1 does not work put a second.
I feel like a lot of these issues you have can be fixed if you sit back look at the problem for more than 2 seconds. This is a very simple problem with a very simple solution. I had all the problems and then some for a good week and a half I was the guy posting about EVERYTHING I found wrong. I quickly learned most of the issues were A. previously covered and B. minor issues that may have seemed bad but were really just adjustments that most pins would need regardless.
That is all have a goood night. Get some washers fix your dam spinner and play your machine.
Edit* See how that works

I shouldn’t have to.

See how that works...

Good night!

#815 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok I keep wanting to look away from this thread but you keep firing off zingers that Make me not want to walk away. I am in tears laughing at this feedback. lol Sad but just can't turn away......

It’s amazing, really. I keep telling myself I will ignore and disengage...then I feel bad, and try to be helpful again. Then my suggestion gets ignored and more posts keep spewing.

I’m simultaneously transfixed and irritated.

I would absolutely buy/rescue this machine. It’s a CE which I have regret for missing out on already, and holding POTC cabs is like holding gold. The more people get a chance to play this game, the more people want it. Demand is increasing while supply is decreasing.

#816 4 years ago

PROBLEM: Rubber in the star map / chapter select area is worn through.
SOLUTION: This is a lot of work and there's a lot that can go wrong, so be sure you're prepared...

1. Remove the Black Pearl (see other posts for this)
2. Block all the holes AND the rear orbit with shop towels. This is important!
3. Remove the 5 hex nuts that keep the plastic shield in place. Use a wrench under the plastic to hold the nut underneath when you remove the topside hex nut. Failure to do this will just cause the post to spin.
4. Once the plastic is free, lift up on the chest and rotate it clockwise to the metal bracket out of the way.
5. While everything is open, clean it! You won't get a better opportunity.
6. Replace the rubbers and reassemble in reverse order. Be aware the rubbers are different sizes as are the posts they ride on.

I failed to block the holes and I managed to lose a plastic post somewhere inside the bowels of the machine. I looked for it for over an hour, shook to listen for it, etc...never did find it. I happened to have the right post because I had spares from doing the star post mod so I eventually reassembled with one of those. Don't make the mistake I did!

UhOhRubber (resized).jpgUhOhRubber (resized).jpgIMG_0954 (resized).jpegIMG_0954 (resized).jpegIMG_0955 (resized).jpegIMG_0955 (resized).jpeg

#817 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I shouldn’t have to.
See how that works...
Good night!

Uh - then you're in the wrong hobby. In pinball, stuff happens. I'm willing to bet you bent it when you had the pearl off, but even if it came that way from the factory, it's a quick 30 second fix. But instead, you demand perfection and waste JJP's time. I'm not wasting any more time on someone who refuses to help themselves.

#818 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

3. Remove the 5 hex bolts

Those are just nuts, my man... bolts are male.

#819 4 years ago

Doh, thanks. Will edit!

#820 4 years ago

Any other conversation, female nuts would be very confusing.

#821 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

SOLUTION: This is a lot of work and there's a lot that can go wrong, so be sure you're prepared...
3. Remove the 5 hex nuts that keep the plastic shield in place. Use a wrench under the plastic to hold the nut underneath when you remove the topside hex nut. Failure to do this will just cause the post to spin.
4. Once the plastic is free, lift up on the chest and rotate it clockwise to the metal bracket out of the way.
6. Replace the rubbers and reassemble in reverse order.
I failed to block the holes and I managed to lose a plastic post somewhere inside the bowels of the machine. I looked for it for over an hour, shook to listen for it, etc...never did find it. I happened to have the right post because I had spares from doing the star post mod so I eventually reassembled with one of those. Don't make the mistake I did!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I have been trying for hours to do this but I can't reach the BP. Was I suppose to take the glass off?? Plus, the ship keeps moving should I remove it when it sways left or right?

#822 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I have been trying for hours to do this but I can't reach the BP. Was I suppose to take the glass off?? Plus, the ship keeps moving should I remove it when it sways left or right?

LOL!!!!

#823 4 years ago

I was kidding of coarse. I have a 4" pipe wrench on it now and all is good!

#824 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I was kidding of coarse. I have a 4" pipe wrench on it now and all is good!

It's not intuitive but you need to go clockwise while unscrewing the BP. Just get a good bite on it with the wrench and crank away. I think it has some red locktite on the mounting post so don't be afraid to lean in to it. A small sledge will help coerce it out.

#825 4 years ago

It's not intuitive but you need to go clockwise while unscrewing the BP. Just get a good bite on it with the wrench and crank away. I think it has some red locktite on the mounting post so don't be afraid to lean in to it. A small sledge will help coerce it out.

Man, someone's going to read that and snap their BP post.

#826 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I happened to have the right post because I had spares from doing the star post mod so I eventually reassembled with one of those

I am guessing but did you have to adjust the leaf switch again there and do you think the star post will help with the sdtm from chapter start?

#827 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I am guessing but did you have to adjust the leaf switch again there and do you think the star post will help with the sdtm from chapter start?

I did not have to adjust the leafs. I never had the SDTM problem from the star post.

#828 4 years ago

I really want to get this game but if I do, I’ll likely have to remove the backbox to get it in my house (narrow doorways). Has anyone had to do this with their Pirates and if so, how was the removal process?

#829 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

6. Replace the rubbers and reassemble in reverse order. Be aware the rubbers are different sizes as are the posts they ride on.

I was trying to gander at your t-nut situation from these photos. Did yours have that issue or just your friend's?

Which is the topside hex nut? Is that regarding the chest or one for that plastic piece near it?

#830 4 years ago
Quoted from Blind_Willie:

I really want to get this game but if I do, I’ll likely have to remove the backbox to get it in my house (narrow doorways). Has anyone had to do this with their Pirates and if so, how was the removal process?

I've been poking around in the backbox a lot and it looks like it's pretty straight forward. I couldn't tell you if everything is a connector and you can just unplug it, but everything I've looked at is so it seems like there should be no problem. I'm sure it is heavy as can be with all of the stuff in there. There will be a LOT of plugs but nothing a picture or two won't help with.

#831 4 years ago

I've been poking around in the backbox a lot and it looks like it's pretty straight forward. I couldn't tell you if everything is a connector and you can just unplug it, but everything I've looked at is so it seems like there should be no problem. I'm sure it is heavy as can be with all of the stuff in there. There will be a LOT of plugs but nothing a picture or two won't help with.

And a label maker before you take the pictures.
Brother P-touch, PTH110, Easy Portable Label Maker, Lightweight, QWERTY Keyboard, One-Touch Keys, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J3WQ360/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qqj1CbMCPV66J

#832 4 years ago

I never had a drain from the star post untill I started reading about it here on Pinside :lol:Yesterday I i had it two times in a row. Better nudging next time

#833 4 years ago
Quoted from Blind_Willie:

I’m doing this on Saturday. Will let you know how it goes / take some photos.

#834 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Yeah, seriously, get that game home so you can try and get some high scores already

#835 4 years ago

if were being honest on the chapter select issue. I just put my plumb bob all the way down so I still tilt but it takes a good whack. The SDTM ones I can now save without tilting about half of the time. It feels a little unfair now escaping the locker cause i can do small nudges like crazy with little risk of using a tilt. 50% chance to tilt saving chapter select SDTM is acceptable to me.

#836 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I was trying to gander at your t-nut situation from these photos. Did yours have that issue or just your friend's?
Which is the topside hex nut? Is that regarding the chest or one for that plastic piece near it?

Friend in CA had it. Mine are ok. The topside hex nuts are on top of the plastic piece.

#837 4 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

That would be FANTASTIC. Thanks a million.

#838 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I shouldn’t have to.

I can understand that feeling if this is your first NIB. You’ll get over that the more games you buy! Its rare that new games work 100% perfectly out of the box, only the luckiest of pinball nib lottery winners have nothing to fix. I know it seems strange for a new $10k toy, but it is how it goes. Take it slow, it can be fun dialing in a game. You’ll learn how to fix stuff and its satisfying. Avoid getting frustrated or you might make hasty mistakes that cause bigger problems and that can make for the feel bads. Avoid driving everyone on here crazy so they are more apt to help you when you really need it. Master the forum search, its worth it!

#839 4 years ago

Just got a brand new IMDN premium that had a broken flipper rubber and a spinner that needed some adjusting to spin correctly. It happens with all games.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Just got a brand new IMDN premium that had a broken flipper rubber and a spinner that needed some adjusting to spin correctly. It happens with all games.

Congrats man, I love the game. Hope you got the pinmonk mods, they are fantastic and a helluva value. Make the game look so much better. I spent hours dialing in my plungers so they shoot the loop perfectly every time. Envious of your premium. Been thinking about selling my pro and upgrading one of these days.

#841 4 years ago

I assume with the SDTM issues you guys are making sure the game is level front and back and not twisted? That's a long way for the ball to roll and a little bit would make a difference.

#842 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Thanks for documenting this Zaphx. I have the same problem and need to replace the same rubber. I dread removing the BP and was wondering if I were able to remove 4 of the nuts, could I bend the plastic shield up enough to fit the band over the posts?

-If not and I have to remove the BP, I noticed all the posts so far seem to start off with just removing the BP. Then it went to removing the wire form ramp, then it went to not removing it and just removing the VUK to get it off (I know I know, That's what she said). What seems to be the consensus of the easiest way to remove the BP.

Thanks everyone

#843 4 years ago

Yes mine is level. It does not always go sdtm after star map but it happens often enough that it can ruin a game. It happened on my highest scoring game to date. Unlike a kick out, there is no deflector to adjust. There is no tinkering that can solve. I have a digital calibrated level. Game is 6.55 and level from side to side. Please people that do not have this happening, do not brush aside and say it’s not a problem. It is enough of a problem that multiple people have reported it. A configurable 2 second ball save is not going to affect you people who swear it never happens. You can have it turned off and not be affected. I have posted Keith but he has not responded. I hope this can be resolved. It’s not a deal breaker, just takes a bit of a shine off when it happens. Lyman knew this would happen during strobe Multiball in AFM so he added it. Sorry for going on, but it is disheartening to report something and then have it discounted by others.

#844 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Thanks for documenting this Zaphx. I have the same problem and need to replace the same rubber. I dread removing the BP and was wondering if I were able to remove 4 of the nuts, could I bend the plastic shield up enough to fit the band over the posts?
-If not and I have to remove the BP, I noticed all the posts so far seem to start off with just removing the BP. Then it went to removing the wire form ramp, then it went to not removing it and just removing the VUK to get it off (I know I know, That's what she said). What seems to be the consensus of the easiest way to remove the BP.
Thanks everyone

If you remove the VUK, it should be a great deal easier. That getting in the way, to reseat the eyelets is the trickiest part really.

#845 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Sorry for going on, but it is disheartening to report something and then have it discounted by others.

Agree 1000%!!! This is exactly why I have in the past week ceased from sharing the problems and solutions I have encountered.

#846 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Thanks everyone

I was trying to sneak a rubber in there without disassembly. I loosened the front left nut, which just spun the post in place and then dropped the under-playfield nut holding it in. At that point, I had to disassemble everything in order to make it right again so I sucked it up and did the pearl.

I did not remove any Pearl ramp or wireforms. I did not remove the vuk, though I would have if I'd remembered the procedure.

#847 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I was trying to sneak a rubber in there without disassembly. I loosened the front left nut, which just spun the post in place and then dropped the under-playfield nut holding it in. At that point, I had to disassemble everything in order to make it right again so I sucked it up and did the pearl.
I did not remove any Pearl ramp or wireforms. I did not remove the vuk, though I would have if I'd remembered the procedure.

Thanks for the info! Looks like I have my weekend project ahead of me!

#848 4 years ago
Quoted from Heater:

Thanks for the info! Looks like I have my weekend project ahead of me!

I believe I spent around 3 hours. I did things very slowly and carefully, especially dealing with the Pearl.

#849 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Agree 1000%!!! This is exactly why I have in the past week ceased from sharing the problems and solutions I have encountered

See rs812, the target audience is going to ignore my post anyway. I think I will stop posting as well. Thanks for the acknowledgement. Enjoy this great game!!

#850 4 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

See rs812, the target audience is going to ignore my post anyway. I think I will stop posting as well. Thanks for the acknowledgement. Enjoy this great game!!

No, don’t stop posting. You’re absolutely right that if it’s a problem for you, an optional ball save would be a fair solution.

I wish the SDTM was not happening for you or that I had a potential fix. I’ve had hands on setup and extensive play time on 3 different machines. Some patterns have emerged (for example all of them had gold button issues.). But I’ve not seen the SDTM myself. That does not mean it’s not happening and I’m sorry for making you feel this way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/17 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.