8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 71.
#651 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I have to stop assuming the worse .. "oh, must be a broken wire" Nope. Doesn't have to be ...
I feel so accomplished right now!
If I may ... I'm getting this when I boot the game up and I didn't used to...
IDK if it's based on the number of errors it sees or since it's been awhile since a game has been played or ... something else .. lol
But I don't particularly care .. I just wanted to mention it!
[quoted image]

Need to see the actual switch failures when you open the coin door and hit the button.

More than likely it is boat related switches that you haven’t hit yet, but it can also indicate a faulty switch that needs adjustment.

#652 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Need to see the actual switch failures when you open the coin door and hit the button.
More than likely it is boat related switches that you haven’t hit yet, but it can also indicate a faulty switch that needs adjustment.

Okay. I'll look into it for sure.

It's not based on too many errors or long time since being played .. whatever.

Because here's the thing: Remember when I had those two switched matrix errors that were (stuck) and it was the Dauntless or w/e. Well despite having those, it still didn't throw that red screen that I showed you so that's all.

No biggie ...

#653 4 years ago

Done!

Just switches that needed to be hit. =)
My left BP spinner is a bit stiff despite using some SuperLube on it. I'll stop bitching! =)

I reset the game once just to be sure and yea no red screen.

I'm just about IN BUSINESS, sir!

#654 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

In other news, I don't own a solder gun and I don't know how to solder as I have never done it in my life.

Nobody did at one time or another.

Anybody can learn. If they want to. Youtube is littered with short how to videos. How to heat a joint, flow solder, etc. etc. Practice on scrap wire until you are good. Then if you need to fix something on your game, you won't be practicing on it, you'll be fixing it.

LTG : )

#655 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

LEGIT dude.. Like, it has a list and then it has arrows. It was still a little Greek at first, but then once I realized I was chasing the wrong cable and I actually saw a diagram of it I was like "oh."
THIS is a turning point to always resort to the book.
Now if I'm being honest, I don't always know where to start in that book. (The physical book) Probably easier to search on a pdf or something!
On to the next thing...
(I won't be able to play tonight with the gf sleeping. Tried that before...didn't end well.)

Just a suggestion to consider for your next adventure. Consider Starting with the manual to see what and Why you are taking stuff apart so you know where you are going. I understand reading the instructions before diving in is never fun but you may find Knowing what you will see before your tear into it might prove to be valuable strategy and less stressful. The manual (especially a JJP manual) will provide a rather clear picture most times.

#656 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I'm just about IN BUSINESS, sir!

Very happy to hear it. Hopefully you can move from troubleshooting to playing now!

My first machine took me about a week to get through all the issues. The second was pretty much legit OOTB. Then helped a friend set up a CE which had a BP broken wire issue, otherwise solid.

Once you’re into playing and out of troubleshooting you will really grow to love this game. I am fully convinced it is the best game in pinball.

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

The manual (especially a JJP manual) will provide a rather clear picture most times.

It is one of the best technical manuals for a product I’ve seen. Butch Peel deserves as much credit for the thorough manual as Eric does for the excellent game design.

#658 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

It is one of the best technical manuals for a product I’ve seen. Butch Peel deserves as much credit for the thorough manual as Eric does for the excellent game design.

100% JJP has the best manuals in pinball. NO ONE comes anywhere CLOSE. A great resource. Stern has basically given up on providing even halfway good manuals.

#659 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Agreed. Which is why I always wonder why the Manual is the last place owners will go when doing game service? lol I admit skipping instructions like asking for directions but if I was New to pinball That would be my starting point to learn what I am getting myself into....

#660 4 years ago

Okay wow..

I was tightening my left flipper (main) and I actually managed to break the screw...

FORTUNATELY... I have a few spare parts due to my BP scenario. And it looks like they are the same size so yay.

The two metal pieces in the middle are touching. I know they shouldn’t be, but not exactly sure how to fix.

Perhaps easier to use a new assembly entirely?

That JJP video that’s about 20 mins long talks about this and I’ll watch it if needed, but figured I would throw it in here as well.

A1AFE3A5-6B20-44BF-A862-47586E4E4403 (resized).jpegA1AFE3A5-6B20-44BF-A862-47586E4E4403 (resized).jpeg
#661 4 years ago

I’m just trying to get it as tight and amazing as the right flipper.

Is there anything that can be done for tightness besides turning that pawl nut?

#662 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I’m just trying to get it as tight and amazing as the right flipper.
Is there anything that can be done for tightness besides turning that pawl nut?

As long as the flipper shaft isn't moving out of adjustment, it's tight enough. Tightening it beyond that point has zero practical value.

You can open it by backing the nut off and putting a sturdy flathead screwdriver between the two halves that are almost touching or touching and rotate the screwdriver to spread the gap again.

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

As long as the flipper shaft isn't moving out of adjustment, it's tight enough. Tightening it beyond that point has zero practical value.
You can open it by backing the nut off and putting a sturdy flathead screwdriver between the two halves that are almost touching or touching and rotate the screwdriver to spread the gap again.

True...

#664 4 years ago

Then I didn’t need to touch it in the first place.

Ahhh!!

Edit. Okay. Lesson learned. I thought it always good to tighten them things up.

I’ll get this one fixed and leave the
inner flipper well enough alone. (I already tightened it anyways =P)

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

THIS is a turning point to always resort to the book

Yep! And these new manuals are so awesome!
My first pin was space station, I almost had to take a class on how to read it, lol!
And follow what LTG said on learning to solder. There are also tons of little kits you can get pretty cheap to learn soldering.

#666 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Okay wow..
I was tightening my left flipper (main) and I actually managed to break the screw...
FORTUNATELY... I have a few spare parts due to my BP scenario. And it looks like they are the same size so yay.
The two metal pieces in the middle are touching. I know they shouldn’t be, but not exactly sure how to fix.
Perhaps easier to use a new assembly entirely?
That JJP video that’s about 20 mins long talks about this and I’ll watch it if needed, but figured I would throw it in here as well.[quoted image]

I understand your new but seems like your creating alot of your own problems here. Maybe just take a step back evaluate the situation here

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

If I may ... I'm getting this when I boot the game up and I didn't used to...
IDK if it's based on the number of errors it sees or since it's been awhile since a game has been played or ... something else .. lol
But I don't particularly care .. I just wanted to mention it!
[quoted image]

That display indicates one (or more) errors, most likely switches. Check the self-test report.

#668 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

That display indicates one (or more) errors, most likely switches. Check the self-test report.

Or a disabled camera, which IMO should NOT warrant an post-up error message.....

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

I understand your new but seems like your creating alot of your own problems here. Maybe just take a step back evaluate the situation here

I respectfully disagree.

The left BP flipper was legitimately an issue as it stopped working. If you want to say I'm extra because I adjusted the right BP (since I took it off anyways) so that it was parallel to the left flipper then fine.

Did I "screw" up when I tried to tighten the main left flipper (...see what I did there ), then fine.

The only thing that seems relevant is the switch "errors" which aren't really errors. Granted, originally, the Dauntless WAS an issue because of the wire loom being on the left side and impeding the movement of the switch in the back for the Dauntless.

Anyhoo, AFMr just arrived!

#670 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

You must have missed my response?

I cleared all those "errors" in about 5 seconds..

=)

What was "different" was the fact that I was receiving a red "warning" screen in the first place when I wasn't before when booting the game (and had switch errors). So I am of the mindset that if too many stack up, it's going to throw that...which I think is a good thing.

#671 4 years ago

I do have a legitimate question that zaphX is probably going to get on me about for not checking the manual (I'll check it..)

What is the audio cable I need to disconnect to hopefully prevent the audio clipping? I thought it was the black/purple one in the lower left hand corner. Yea, that did nothing.

It's pretty bad. Like...I can't select a character and start a game before I hear clipping in the audio.

Oh, and it does NOT happen with headphones...

#672 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

100% JJP has the best manuals in pinball. NO ONE comes anywhere CLOSE. A great resource. Stern has basically given up on providing even halfway good manuals.

Yea so... I got the "manual" for AFMr.

It's like the JPP manual came from another planet in comparison...which is kinda funny since "Mars"

Anyway

#673 4 years ago

joseph5185 Please chill.

The switch warnings on boot are normal.
If you're audio clipping, adjust the values down in the software menu (which even warns you clipping will occur if the values are too high.)

Respectfully, this thread is to collect and categorize fixes. Your AFMr is not on topic here. Congrats, but please remember this thread is not a blog or Twitter feed.

#674 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Anyhoo, AFMr just arrived!

Oh lord. I do tech support for them too.

Please don't try and fix anything on that.

#675 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

And can be turned off in settings so they don't bug you. Same with the red dot that factory default disables. If you turn the boot warnings off, when you open the coin door and hit the Enter diagnostic button, any errors will be displayed.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#676 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Haha..

I was just sharing. LTG I noticed that.
I'll be sure to direct any issues with AFMr on the appropriate channels.

=)

#677 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

joseph5185 Please chill.
If you're audio clipping, adjust the values down in the software menu (which even warns you clipping will occur if the values are too high.)
Respectfully, this thread is to collect and categorize fixes. Your AFMr is not on topic here. Congrats, but please remember this thread is not a blog or Twitter feed.

Thanks.

FWIW, Master volume can be under 20 easily and I did not adjust any settings.

#678 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Thanks.
FWIW, Master volume can be under 20 easily and I did not adjust any settings.

I'm not talking about the master volume. I'm talking about the audio mix levels which are detailed on page B-25.

#679 4 years ago

I'll play around with it.

It doesn't happen with headphones and if I disconnect the "right thing" it might prevent it as well.

We'll see...

#680 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I'll play around with it.
It doesn't happen with headphones and if I disconnect the "right thing" it might prevent it as well.
We'll see...

What happens with headphones is irrelevant to what is going through the audio amp. Try reducing the audio mix values uniformly.
This is a simple thing to do in software which will immediately give you feedback.

You should do this before disconnecting random things and resulting in another 500 posts about it.

If it doesn't help, fine, next thing to try.

#681 4 years ago

joseph5185 everybody here was once a Padawan, I get you want your games working perfect.
But please ease up on all the posts. It’s too much.

Maybe start a new thread?

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

What happens with headphones is irrelevant to what is going through the audio amp. Try reducing the audio mix values uniformly.
This is a simple thing to do in software which will immediately give you feedback.
You should do this before disconnecting random things and resulting in another 500 posts about it.
If it doesn't help, fine, next thing to try.

What's the situation with the audio clipping? Is it simply an issue of the mix volume or is there more to it? I do recall some posts about wire positioning or some adjustments in the cabinet. I ask because I get something similar but not exactly what he is describing. I'll work on the level adjustments, just looking for all the info.

#683 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Award for post of the Month. That was TOOOOO funny and to the point correct. LTG you always make my day thank you!

He has 482 posts in the POTC thread in Under 30 days. I am Betting the Over that he can beat that in the AFM threads.....lol

#684 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

If you turn the boot warnings off, when you open the coin door and hit the Enter diagnostic button, any errors will be displayed

That what i did! Knowing that it can be played lots of times without some switches being hit. I just go in once or twice a month and check for switch errors and clear them by hand or fix as need be.

#685 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

What's the situation with the audio clipping? Is it simply an issue of the mix volume or is there more to it? I do recall some posts about wire positioning or some adjustments in the cabinet. I ask because I get something similar but not exactly what he is describing. I'll work on the level adjustments, just looking for all the info.

Yeah, I don't think there's very good normalization in the mixed output, so if you have one of the component volumes too loud, it can push the total volume over the top and clip it. It's been a problem since at least Hobbit. I don't recall it being an issue on WoZ, but I haven't played with volumes on that in a LONG time, so maybe I just didn't run across it.

#686 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I don't think there's very good normalization in the mixed output, so if you have one of the component volumes too loud, it can push the total volume over the top and clip it. It's been a problem since at least Hobbit. I don't recall it being an issue on WoZ, but I haven't played with volumes on that in a LONG time, so maybe I just didn't run across it.

Thanks for that. I also notice that my WOZ does not have as many startup "clicks" and "sqwaks" over the audio that POTC does. The WOZ has the same "BLAMO" that POTC does when something happens (maybe when the PC POSTS or finishes booting) but POTC makes a TON of noises (I posted a video) while it's booting. Wasn't sure if that was related. I'll mess with the levels.

#687 4 years ago

Different sound board in Pirates. All other JJP games use the same sound board not Pirates.

#688 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Different sound board in Pirates. All other JJP games use the same sound board not Pirates.

It's really... annoying. I'm almost tempted enough to figure out a little relay PCB board that stays open (disconnecting the speakers from the sound board) for 20 seconds or so.

#689 4 years ago

It's really... annoying. I'm almost tempted enough to figure out a little relay PCB board that stays open (disconnecting the speakers from the sound board) for 20 seconds or so.

Glad I’m not the only one...

#690 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Award for post of the Month. That was TOOOOO funny and to the point correct. LTG you always make my day thank you!
He has 482 posts in the POTC thread in Under 30 days. I am Betting the Over that he can beat that in the AFM threads.....lol

It’s okay.

You can make fun.

I’m willing to bet I have FAR less posts for AFMr.

#691 4 years ago

FWIW, there’s good information in the main Owner’s Club thread.

I’ll figure it out one way or the other...

#693 4 years ago

As I mentioned in the other thread installing the PinWoofer amp and sub eliminated the pop for me.

#694 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

As I mentioned in the other thread installing the PinWoofer amp and sub eliminated the pop for me.

Ah, I didn't see that post. From my rudimentary understanding it looks like something similar is happening with the boards they provide. I found plenty of amps like that which have soft start functions (delayed start) as well, I just wasn't sure if another amp would be warranted/needed so I was looking for a board that was simply a delay. It looks like, again I don't understand, the original audio output is broken down to line level so it can be then amplified and split to the new sub. I don't see why this would affect the startup to the speakers (it doesn't look like this solution interrupts the existing output to the speakers). Not to throw any shade, but it looks like that's about $40 worth of components at individual retail prices.

The components I am looking at, all accessories included, cost about $15-20 maybe.

I am not against just adding a woofer kit if that just "solves" the problem but I'd like to know why/how. Maybe PinWoofer would want to comment as to if this an intended result of their system and/or how/why it does this.

** also, given the way JJP games are setup the install could probably be a lot cleaner since we have 1/4" audio connectors and molex 12v power.

#695 4 years ago

I guess the million dollar question is if upgrading the speakers, sub, and amp ELIMINATES the audio clipping entirely.

If so, it's well worth the money and will sound better anyways...

Edit: Like, I can't even choose a character with the music playing before starting a game without the audio messing up. It's kinda crazy!

#696 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I guess the million dollar question is if upgrading the speakers, sub, and amp ELIMINATES the audio clipping entirely.
If so, it's well worth the money and will sound better anyways...
Edit: Like, I can't even choose a character with the music playing before starting a game without the audio messing up. It's kinda crazy!

Did you try backing down the gain levels in the software yet?

#697 4 years ago

I think harryhoudini is referring to the noise and chatter on bootup, where joseph5185 is referring to clipping during_ gameplay. Different things.

They all chatter and pop on bootup in my experience.

#698 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I think harryhoudini is referring to the noise and chatter on bootup, where joseph5185 is referring to clipping during_ gameplay. Different things.
They all chatter and pop on bootup in my experience.

Yea I couldn't care less about that popping when the game boots.

Just WHILE I'm playing the game. I have not yet looked at the gain levels, but seems silly to me if they have to be reduced from default. If it solves the problem, so be it.

And I've been too busy to find the SPECIFIC cable that needs to be unplugged to eliminate as well. I was speaking with someone in my area who did this and it eliminated the issue and it's documented a bit in the main Owner's thread. Either I undid the wrong wire (which I have plugged back in) or I didn't and the "fix" didn't work for me.

Other than a couple mods (including disc silencer kit), the sound thing is really the only thing that I can think of. The BP was a pretty huge undertaking - at least for me.

#699 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Yea I couldn't care less about that popping when the game boots.
Just WHILE I'm playing the game. I have not yet looked at the gain levels, but seems silly to me if they have to be reduced from default. If it solves the problem, so be it.

Defaults are not always gold standards for everyone in every machine. Minor variations exist.

I don't know why you haven't even tried this as it literally takes less time to tweak than to post about it!

#700 4 years ago

Ah, I didn't see that post. From my rudimentary understanding it looks like something similar is happening with the boards they provide. I found plenty of amps like that which have soft start functions (delayed start) as well, I just wasn't sure if another amp would be warranted/needed so I was looking for a board that was simply a delay. It looks like, again I don't understand, the original audio output is broken down to line level so it can be then amplified and split to the new sub. I don't see why this would affect the startup to the speakers (it doesn't look like this solution interrupts the existing output to the speakers). Not to throw any shade, but it looks like that's about $40 worth of components at individual retail prices.
The components I am looking at, all accessories included, cost about $15-20 maybe.
I am not against just adding a woofer kit if that just "solves" the problem but I'd like to know why/how. Maybe pinwoofer would want to comment as to if this an intended result of their system and/or how/why it does this.
** also, given the way JJP games are setup the install could probably be a lot cleaner since we have 1/4" audio connectors and molex 12v power.

If you’re saying the kit I installed is $40 worth of parts, I know that’s not correct. :p And remember the PinWoofer kit is to increase bass and the quality of bass sound. Not eliminate a popping sound from stock sub.

PinWoofer maybe can provide insight on the JJP pop but he doesn’t have a game on hand to see.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.