8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 71.
#601 4 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Where can the Cliffy’s for Pirates be ordered? Couldn’t find the set on Cliffy’s site?

Email him to the address on the site and tell him what you want.

This is the kit https://www.passionforpinball.com/WIP/JJP-POTC-SET.JPG

#602 4 years ago
Quoted from Maurice:

Where can the Cliffy’s for Pirates be ordered? Couldn’t find the set on Cliffy’s site?

I emailed him as I could not find it myself; here are some pics but I suggest emailing him as well:

http://www.passionforpinball.com/wip.htm

#603 4 years ago

Just curious ..

Anyone like any alternatives to zip ties or simply doesn’t worry about re-tieing anything that was cut.

I was considering some Velcro straps of sorts that are used for bundling wires. Have a pic if needed.

Thanks.

If I can get the playfield cleaned/waxed, the ship reinstalled, the playfield leveled, and power on the game and be error free and finally play a few, I think it will be a successful day.

#604 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

If I can get the playfield cleaned/waxed, the ship reinstalled, the playfield leveled, and power on the game and be error free and finally play a few, I think it will be a successful day.

I am very hopeful your next post is "I performed all those tasks and I've been playing for the past 5 hours, this game is awesome!"

#605 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Just curious ..
Anyone like any alternatives to zip ties or simply doesn’t worry about re-tieing anything that was cut.
I was considering some Velcro straps of sorts that are used for bundling wires. Have a pic if needed.
Thanks.

Velcro straps are great. I just put several on to hold some trough lighting wiring in place, navigated it all the way down the playfield and with the wiring loom.

#606 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Velcro straps are great. I just put several on to hold some trough lighting wiring in place, navigated it all the way down the playfield and with the wiring loom.

Fair enough!

#607 4 years ago

Hi All, POTC CE is now enabled on Pinside at https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/pirates-of-the-caribbean-ce (standard and LE were the only options before today).

"Those who engage in acts of piracy are called pirates"

#608 4 years ago

Well...I'm TRYING to get the ship back on... lol

Damn.

#609 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Be patient. Grab the black pearl with one hand on each side. Have it the whole way back against the rear wall of the playfield. Lower a bit and wiggle up or down a tiny bit so the pivots slide into the bearing holes.

Once on stuff a rag behind it so it doesn't slip back and off, until you get the allen head screw in.

LTG : )

#610 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Damn.

And remove the VUK! I'm guessing it's much easier without that knocking against the brown/green target wires.

#611 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Be patient. Grab the black pearl with one hand on each side. Have it the whole way back against the rear wall of the playfield. Lower a bit and wiggle up or down a tiny bit so the pivots slide into the bearing holes.
Once on stuff a rag behind it so it doesn't slip back and off, until you get the allen head screw in.

I was wigging front and back ... I guess that's my first mistake ...

#612 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

And remove the VUK! I'm guessing it's much easier without that knocking against the brown/green target wires.

It is chewing up that brown wire. You aren't kidding. I'm going to tape them back and I assume the ship sits underneath the VUK.

#613 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

It is chewing up that brown wire. You aren't kidding. I'm going to tape them back and I assume the ship sits underneath the VUK.

That VUK is a monster.

Yes, underneath the VUK. Not too late to take it out, if need be. I think the plastic to the right at the bottom needs removed if doing so.

#614 4 years ago

I got it... and it kinda surprised me how easy it was when it just dropped in . You kinda know cause that screw hole lines up..

And then I lost it .. damn wave!

Alright.. attempt 2!

#615 4 years ago

I got it.. =)

You can definitely kinda gently go up and down in a rocking motion almost trying to hook it in if that makes sense.

Hey ... the lanterns on the BP should be lit when the game is just turned on, right?
No LEDs on my lanterns .. the other LEDs are fine...

Edit: *Sighs* ... That's a yes.

=(

#616 4 years ago

I want to express how I feel right now...but I’m not going to.

I am trying...

#617 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I want to express how I feel right now...but I’m not going to.
I am trying...

Did you confirm all the harness molexes are plugged back in correctly?

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Did you confirm all the harness molexes are plugged back in correctly?

I think so but I’ll double check when I get back home.

I still don’t know if the left flipper is actually fixed so stay tuned for that.

#619 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I still don’t know if the left flipper is actually fixed so stay tuned for that.

There should be 7 connectors to plug back in.
Putting notes from my ship removal on next post

#620 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Numbering them or putting corresponding stickers on them is essential. Remember, 2/3/4 on the mini board, one ethernet blue looking cable, (which isn't an ethernet cable) and three larger moles cables.

#621 4 years ago

I removed my BP the other day and put in the MAP Cliffy.
I think it is posted here about MicSirTuna’s excellent Twitch video on Buffalo Pinball. Here are my notes from his Video.

Pirate Ship Removal and Replacement

1. Flip Playfield.
2. Disconnect 7 cables;
3. Label connectors: 1 and 2 are larger white connectors (9 and 12 Pin). Next is Ethernet lighting R45( J908), 3 is 2 Pin connector power to right, 5,6,7 all go to board on right; J2, J3, J4 (should have colored dots for connectors as they are not keyed connectors) but write J2,J3,J4
4. Feed through so they do not get tangled
5. Lower Playfield
6. Loosen up right ramp wire form at bottoms of wire form Don’t have to remove nuts
7. Remove right wire form and set aside
8. Loosen right ramp; screw on right by short side. Don’t remove screw
9. Remove screws at bottoms of ramp by flaps.
10. Ship Removal: 1) Allen Bolt behind BP,- Loosen Screw and then use hand to twist and remove without dropping. 2)Remove Cotton Pin behind BackBoard and washer and connector from Post. Pull Post through slot towards Playfield
11. Pull ship back so it comes off horizontal post through front eyelet underneath ship. Then can pull front up. Then jiggle or pull ship forward so it comes off of back eyelet. Watch out for BP VUK on back right as you need to clear that when bringing out.
12. Pull ship up and bring wires through. Careful with underneath of ship. Rest ship on pillow etc ; top side of ship down on pillow.

1. Putting Ship Back gets tricky.
2. Hold Ship and feed cables back through the hole. Make sure they go through the hole.
3. Bring Playfield in. Will be tricky to get posts through the eyelets. Try back eyelet first slide back In then can slide forward over front eyelet. Slide forward to stay on
4. Get shoulder bolt back on . Hold ship forward. This is tricky Try not to drop screw
5. Put washer in against back wood. And put clip back in.
6. Reattach ramp with flap screws. Make sure leaf switch under ramp is not getting caught.
7. Put back wireform. Angle in from top.

#622 4 years ago

Thought it was J908.

That's where she went.

I'll go check all the connections again.

I'll test to see if the left flipper works now. *IF* it does, the game is at least PLAYABLE!!

#623 4 years ago

I believe the blue cable has an R45 type connector that goes into J908.

#624 4 years ago

So here's the GOOD news!

The flipper IS FIXED !! =)

I went into Dedicated Switch tests, lifted up a couple of times and it is registering...

The bad news...
No lights on my lanterns still ... I re-checked and reconnected all 7 cables.

Also, my game is stuck on locating balls ... I know someone had talked about that before. Not sure of the fix.

I'm pretty happy about the flipper...

#625 4 years ago

Black Pearl Removal: You do NOT have to remove the ramp!!!! Removing the rear BP VUK surrounding plastic and the VUK itself requires much less effort that removing the ramp and make reinstallation of the BP much easier!!!

#626 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Black Pearl Removal: You do NOT have to remove the ramp!!!! Removing the rear BP VUK surrounding plastic and the VUK itself requires much less effort that removing the ramp and make reinstallation of the BP much easier!!!

Well...good to know for next time.

Which...may be pretty soon for me. =/

#627 4 years ago

100% fixed the left BP flipper! =)

And, I was missing a ball (and I knew I was...) Sure enough, put the ball back in the trough and the game fired right up.

That's so interesting to me...
Is it like a weight sensor or optical sensor or some other sensor?

I turned the game off .. I'm going to work on cleaning and waxing the rest of the playfield, try to level, and work on getting the plunger aligned.

Any input on the lantern LEDs would be appreciated, but despite breaking something else I legitimately fixed something I put a lot of hours into on my FIRST pin.

I think it's progress!

#628 4 years ago

Loosening the ramp is not required but is pretty easy and allows for easier access when removing and reinstalling the BP.
Removing the VUK is another option, sounds like it may be a better approach.

#629 4 years ago

So I had an issue with pinballs getting stuck underneath the playfield, especially during multiball play, and pinballs not releasing from the Chest...turns out it was an issue with dirty optical sensors! Of all things... special thanks to Brad808 on Pinside who came over and did some troubleshooting for me.

The game is brand new out of the box...thinking of sending JJP Support a message indicating they should make sure their sensors are cleaned prior to shipping.

Game plays great now! Simplest fix ever with s digh of relief...

#630 4 years ago

Joseph;

The ball trough has optos for each trough ball position. So the machine will know when ball is missing prior to starting a game.

#631 4 years ago

So... I didn't inform you guys that I still need to put the ramp back in place.

But that's not why the lanterns aren't lit up...right?

I see wiring, but I assume it's only for the spot light.

#632 4 years ago
Quoted from DrDQ:

Joseph;
The ball trough has optos for each trough ball position. So the machine will know when ball is missing prior to starting a game.

Fair enough!

That's pretty cool...

#633 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

So... I didn't inform you guys that I still need to put the ramp back in place.
But that's not why the lanterns aren't lit up...right?
I see wiring, but I assume it's only for the spot light.

I doubt it. Unless you have a loose wire there. But in all likelihood the problem is in the wire bundle/connections from the connector under the playfield to under the ship. I would reseat (vs Just looking at ) all of the 7 BP connectors under the playfield first before pulling the ship.
Did the J908 connector click when you put it back in?

I would think worst case is you have a broken wire or loose connection under the BP.

#634 4 years ago

I'm on the edge of my seat!

#635 4 years ago

You guys were not joking about that ramp ... those black screws in particular..

All good now..

No worky on the lanterns .. yea I did reseat all of them once.
I'm curious what specifically lights those lanterns or what combination of wires lights those lanterns ..

It's a little upsetting for sure, but I'm making progress otherwise.

#636 4 years ago

Have you checked the manual? It’s pretty extensive and well written.

#637 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Have you checked the manual? It’s pretty extensive and well written.

Not yet.

Trying to solve some other battles atm.

#638 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Not yet.
Trying to solve some other battles atm.

Well, you should. It's a good resource. Specifically page C-95 where it states the wiring for the lantern RGBs plugs into J803 under the Pearl mini playfield. I'd look at that to make sure it didn't get dislodged during reinstallation.

#639 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

. I'd look at that to make sure it didn't get dislodged during reinstallation.

And get the wire colors so you know where to dig around and look for problems like broken wire, connector not plugged in, pin/wire pulled out of connector.

#640 4 years ago

I really fought getting that BP back in place ... before I learned how it worked so it's definitely a possibility that happened...

If it's just that blue cable somehow got disconnected or something .. that would be FANTASTIC!

#641 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

that would be FANTASTIC!

Page C-92 shows it coming off of board P6, I'd check that first to see if it's unplugged. Then move on to the connectors below the main playfield that run up to the black pearl.

#642 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Page C-92 shows it coming off of board P6, I'd check that first to see if it's unplugged. Then move on to the connectors below the main playfield that run up to the black pearl.

Sounds good ... Will work on it!

#643 4 years ago

Alright so...

I don't think it's the blue cable...

In Service Position 1 or 4 or whichever one is completely vertical, luckily you can actually get at this blue cable. I purposely disconnected it and reconnected it and heard it click.

And no joy.

Reseated again into J908 and then tried the other ports for fun.

No joy...

So...idk.

It would be pretty fascinating if somehow that cable went bad, but that's probably less than a 1% chance. That VUK definitely uh hurt that brown wire a bit when attempting to reseat that ship if that could be anything.

In other news, I don't own a solder gun and I don't know how to solder as I have never done it in my life.

#644 4 years ago

Time out...

I feel dumb..

I'm looking at page C-95 right now. That "blue cable" that I reseated on J908 and then under the mini BP (which was a struggle) is for the MAIN RGBs ... which work.

Unbelievable...

Okay. So there's some black thing perpendicular and close to where that blue cable plugs in ... I can lift her up again and give it another whirl...

=)

#645 4 years ago

Sorry @ltg, looks like it's P8 and not P6. (Though it's the line above it so easy mistake. I saw it the same way at first)

#646 4 years ago

OMG!

It is disconnected ! That book just did it for me ...

I did my damnest to show it with this photo..

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#647 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

OMG!
It is disconnected ! That book just did it for me ...
I did my damnest to show it with this photo..[quoted image]

Told ya. It’s awesome.

#648 4 years ago

YEEEEEEEEEEEEES !!!!!!

#649 4 years ago

I have to stop assuming the worse .. "oh, must be a broken wire" Nope. Doesn't have to be ...

I feel so accomplished right now!

If I may ... I'm getting this when I boot the game up and I didn't used to...

IDK if it's based on the number of errors it sees or since it's been awhile since a game has been played or ... something else .. lol

But I don't particularly care .. I just wanted to mention it!

#650 4 years ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Told ya. It’s awesome.

LEGIT dude.. Like, it has a list and then it has arrows. It was still a little Greek at first, but then once I realized I was chasing the wrong cable and I actually saw a diagram of it I was like "oh."

THIS is a turning point to always resort to the book.

Now if I'm being honest, I don't always know where to start in that book. (The physical book) Probably easier to search on a pdf or something!

On to the next thing...

(I won't be able to play tonight with the gf sleeping. Tried that before...didn't end well.)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
Protection
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.
Decals
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.