8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 71.
#551 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Your flipper on the BP just stopped working entirely? I thought it was just short travel that you were having. My right BP flipper has short travel, and I'll probably fix it eventually, but it does not affect gameplay much at all. Certainly not "halting" it. I can make every shot on the BP with my right flipper without issue. If I am mis-remembering your issue I apologize.

Correct. My left flipper completely stopped working which I believe was related to the roll pin coming loose out of the flipper assembly. I fought with the bloody ship for hours this morning and it was "FUN."

Mechanically, the left flipper is "perfect." I'm only asking that the right flipper be perfect as well. I received a technical response from @vireland. One I am still trying to fully interpret.

There's just "something" that REALLY bothers me about the right flipper not meeting the left. It just doesn't "look" right and I guess it's the OCD in me.

Hopefully soon I can get it corrected somehow, re-insert the ship (that's gonna be interesting...) and test.

#552 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yea the T-nut thing is a non issue in my book. The auto plunger is just like the T-nut except as you said, literally hammers the ball multiple times every game.

I'm good with this assessment! =)

#553 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

But I think i had enough for tonight.

These might help you on adjusting the flipper bat :

LTG : )

#554 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Correct. My left flipper completely stopped working which I believe was related to the roll pin coming loose out of the flipper assembly. I fought with the bloody ship for hours this morning and it was "FUN."
Mechanically, the left flipper is "perfect." I'm only asking that the right flipper be perfect as well. I received a technical response from vireland. One I am still trying to fully interpret.
There's just "something" that REALLY bothers me about the right flipper not meeting the left. It just doesn't "look" right and I guess it's the OCD in me.
Hopefully soon I can get it corrected somehow, re-insert the ship (that's gonna be interesting...) and test.

Edit: See LTG's videos.

OR - Just ignore it. My right flipper doesn't go all the way up like my left flipper, and it makes no difference in gameplay.

#555 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

These might help you on adjusting the flipper bat :

It might help.

I already watched that first long one. I guess I can watch it again.
The second one is just talking about making the pawl nut tight and it is tight. It's the fact that the coil rod has less travel and hence can't "flip" as high.

#556 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Edit: See LTG's videos.
OR - Just ignore it. My right flipper doesn't go all the way up like my left flipper, and it makes no difference in gameplay.

I can't...

I have seen it perfect on other people's games and it seems like a simple enough thing to fix ... once I actually know what I'm doing.

#557 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I'm good with this assessment! =)

Also, I can expect my balls too (lol). Though, I only have around 70 plays or so and was going to change them out anyways...

#558 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Defying the laws of physics, if I hold the left flipper up to catch the kick out from the mystery hole it swoops through the gate to the left of the flipper and straight down the I hole. With the glass off, I can't see how that gate allows the ball to travel backwards through it, but it does...everytime. Anyone vaguely understand the way this is happening?

Exactly, I see similar. I just figured it was the way the gate was setup, but now that I think about it doesn't make sense.

#559 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yeah the right spinner. Let us know, Thanks!

Got confirmation today that JJP shipped out the two optos (one of them under warranty coverage) and 4 screws (all paid for, lol... I had one screw missing from the opto bracket, which you would think is a warranty issue, but I got 4 and paid for them all heh). So, that's sorta good.. should be back next weekend so I'll install then (probably pull the ship and do cliffys, fix the t-nut issue, fix the star post issue, etc).

#560 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Defying the laws of physics, if I hold the left flipper up to catch the kick out from the mystery hole it swoops through the gate to the left of the flipper and straight down the I hole. With the glass off, I can't see how that gate allows the ball to travel backwards through it, but it does...everytime. Anyone vaguely understand the way this is happening?

I have had this happen very rarely. I am sure there is some fix but I have not had reason to dig in. I have maybe lost one ball due to this that I can remember.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

The second one is just talking about making the pawl nut tight and it is tight. It's the fact that the coil rod has less travel and hence can't "flip" as high.

So loosen the pawl nut a little, so the flipper bat barely moves in the pawl, adjust the flipper where you want it. Since the travel is so short, you may need to move the plunger back or forth. Then tighten the pawl nut.

This is easy, don't over think it.

#562 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

So loosen the pawl nut a little, so the flipper bat barely moves in the pawl, adjust the flipper where you want it. Since the travel is so short, you may need to move the plunger back or forth. Then tighten the pawl nut.

Thanks.

I'll try.

#563 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Yea the T-nut thing is a non issue in my book. The auto plunger is just like the T-nut except as you said, literally hammers the ball multiple times every game.

Hmm. That's a valid point. It is a two pronged tooth monster.

My solution is also to continue my bad aiming, and entirely miss the map hole most games. Problem solved!

Given I've taken the Pearl off three times, I'm not so jazzed at the idea of a fourth...but I'm also not trembling with anxiety, just more...."Again?!?! Really...?"

#564 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Get a T-Shirt made with this.

#565 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Hmm. That's a valid point. It is a two pronged tooth monster.
My solution is also to continue my bad aiming, and entirely miss the map hole most games. Problem solved!
Given I've taken the Pearl off three times, I'm not so jazzed at the idea of a fourth...but I'm also not trembling with anxiety, just more...."Again?!?! Really...?"

Haha!!

Also, 3 times!? Congratz..

Any "tips" on aligning the ship with the eyelets or w/e AND does the hex bolt REALLY need to be as tight as it was from the factory. It took excessive force with both hands and it literally popped. I was like DAMN! Okay...

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Any "tips" on aligning the ship with the eyelets

I grab the black pearl one hand each side, have it all the way towards the rear of the game. Lower it. Slide it forward. I just seem to hit the right spot when doing it.

Quoted from joseph5185:

does the hex bolt REALLY need to be as tight as it was from the factory

No, finger tight works.

#567 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I grab the black pearl one hand each side, have it all the way towards the rear of the game. Lower it. Slide it forward. I just seem to hit the right spot when doing it.

No, finger tight works.

That's VERY helpful ..

Thank you. It was about impossible to get it off. It just wouldn't let go!

#568 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Haha!!
Also, 3 times!? Congratz..
Any "tips" on aligning the ship with the eyelets or w/e AND does the hex bolt REALLY need to be as tight as it was from the factory. It took excessive force with both hands and it literally popped. I was like DAMN! Okay...

Yeah.... First was Cliffy installation. Second was wanting to make sure my wires were clear. Third was putting a wire loom around the ship's wiring, placing some mylar over the chapter select area, and installing the Pearl cannon shield, which is most likely gratuitous.

Quoted from LTG:

No, finger tight works.

Lloyd is the Barry White of pinball tech. He HAS the skills!

#569 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

That's VERY helpful ..
Thank you. It was about impossible to get it off. It just wouldn't let go!

You know, without context this would definitely be phrasing

#570 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah.... First was Cliffy installation. Second was wanting to make sure my wires were clear. Third was putting a wire loom around the ship's wiring, placing some mylar over the chapter select area, and installing the Pearl cannon shield, which is most likely gratuitous.

Perfect, thanks for doing all of that... so I can do it all on my first ship removal (and replace the opto)! Much appreciated lol

Btw, I'm a bit surprised that there is no mylar there. Seems like a no brainer.

#571 4 years ago

I honestly don't know that I'm going to put mylar over the chapter start area. I assume that area gets hit just as often as some other areas that don't have mylar or considering.

I'm almost going with Yelobird theory on this one that if it was enough of an issue, it would have been mylared in the first place.

Because I can make the argument that if you put mylar here there are at least half a dozen other places you could as well.

Though, "extra" mylar over the ship overboard makes perfect sense and will happen.

Definitely going to clean and wax this area as well before trying to put that ship back on and I bought some wire loom (the softer/prettier kind) so I'll likely do the wires as well. I'm not so much worried about that plastic deflector shield or w/e.

I really feel like some of this is going to be "address it if you need to address it or don't worry about it" and the more I am quickly becoming acquainted to pinball, it almost feels like the right mindset as well.

#572 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I honestly don't know that I'm going to put mylar over the chapter start area. I assume that area gets hit just as often as some other areas that don't have mylar or considering.
I'm almost going with yelobird theory on this one that if it was enough of an issue, it would have been mylared in the first place.
Because I can make the argument that if you put mylar here there are at least half a dozen other places you could as well.
Though, "extra" mylar over the ship overboard makes perfect sense and will happen.
Definitely going to clean and wax this area as well before trying to put that ship back on and I bought some wire loom (the softer/prettier kind) so I'll likely do the wires as well. I'm not so much worried about that plastic deflector shield or w/e.
I really feel like some of this is going to be "address it if you need to address it or don't worry about it" and the more I am quickly becoming acquainted to pinball, it almost feels like the right mindset as well.

I'm going to mylar both the starfield/chapter start and the overboard (double), because why not. If it isn't needed, no harm. For some reason mine also didn't have the sling mylar (maybe the original owner didn't install and didn't give it to me, but I had the goodie bag unopened) so I bought some from Titan to install.

#573 4 years ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

I'm going to mylar both the starfield/chapter start and the overboard (double), because why not. If it isn't needed, no harm. For some reason mine also didn't have the sling mylar (maybe the original owner didn't install and didn't give it to me, but I had the goodie bag unopened) so I bought some from Titan to install.

I'm of the mindset that mylaring any area WILL affect the gamplay a LITTLE bit / a TINY bit ... but nontheless.

Idk. I'm on the fence about it. I know it's a popular area that people have chose, but it's only one way to play the game as silly as that sounds and I just feel like with proper cleaning/waxing I would detect if it was becoming an issue .. maybe those swirls that people talk about (still don't own any novus) ..

I'm all about protecting the game but I wanna PLAY!

#574 4 years ago

Perfect, thanks for doing all of that... so I can do it all on my first ship removal (and replace the opto)! Much appreciated lol
Btw, I'm a bit surprised that there is no mylar there. Seems like a no brainer.

Yeah, the "final" time I got all my anxious ducks in a row. Really for removing the Pearl, you could mylar the chapter area, Cliffy map hole, and shave that nut if you wanna. For me, Cliffy was imperative. Anything else is subjective.

When did you get your order in with JJP? I talked to Frank on Wednesday about some parts. Haven't had confirmation or delivery yet.

Quoted from joseph5185:

I'm off the mindset that mylaring any area WILL affect the gamplay a LITTLE bit / a TINY bit ... but nontheless.
Idk. I'm on the fence about it. I know it's a popular area that people have chose, but it's only one way to play the game as silly as that sounds and I just feel like with proper cleaning/waxing I would detect if it was becoming an issue .. maybe those swirls that people talk about (still don't own any novus) ..
I'm all about protecting the game but I wanna PLAY!

I'm telling ya, skip the mylar/table protection. Just go full body like Frank/Leslie would!

KeYSnf6_d (resized).jpgKeYSnf6_d (resized).jpg
#575 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Yeah, the "final" time I got all my anxious ducks in a row. Really for removing the Pearl, you could mylar the chapter area, Cliffy map hole, and shave that nut if you wanna. For me, Cliffy was imperative. Anything else is subjective.
When did you get your order in with JJP? I talked to Frank on Wednesday about some parts. Haven't had confirmation or delivery yet.

I'm telling ya, skip the mylar/table protection. Just go full body like Frank/Leslie would!
[quoted image]

Like a week ago or so as far as getting parts from JJP haha ..

It was pretty fast...

#576 4 years ago

Why I'm at it...

What is the "trick" to get that ramp lined up right because that's going to be part 2 or part 3 of the fun when I put this ship back on.

Can I please get a pic from someone that shows "exactly" how the ramp looks when it's lined up to the BP? I had a noticeable gap when I was kinda messing around with it which I assume isn't right.

#577 4 years ago

For my own understanding ...

If this is NOT a coil stop, then what is it?

A coil start? haha .. A coil plate/opening?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#578 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I agree. Since they are coming from the factory configured like this, It feel like that's the way JJP intended the flippers on the BP to work - with the right moving less than the left.

#579 4 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I agree. Since they are coming from the factory configured like this, It feel like that's the way JJP intended the flippers on the BP to work - with the right moving less than the left.

No. That's not right.

I wish Lloyd would comment on this...

#580 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

For my own understanding ...
If this is NOT a coil stop, then what is it?
A coil start? haha .. A coil plate/opening?
[quoted image]

Manual calls it a "Flipper Coil Centering Bracket"

#581 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I talked to Frank on Wednesday about some parts. Haven't had confirmation or delivery yet.

I talk with Shannan and I got confirmation of the order today after talking with her late last week. Haven't heard back from Frank yet on any playfield chipping information.

#582 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Manual calls it a "Flipper Coil Centering Bracket"

Thanks!

#583 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Different materials, different physics, different impact surface areas, etc.

But, hey, it’s your game so it’s your call.

#584 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Different materials, different physics, different impact surface areas, etc.
But, hey, it’s your game so it’s your call.

My game has some 70/80 plays with stock balls and I guess I "have the issue" as well so I'll inspect when I can and report back.

It's going to be some time before I get to it unfortunately.

#585 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

No. That's not right.

So multiple units are coming from the factory with identical flipper assemblies but are wrong? Maybe JJP made a batch one way and then changed the build?

#586 4 years ago

I'm not trying to say it's wrong, but I'm trying to say that I don't like it.

And I have seen several games which flip the same which seems normal to me. It's not like the main flippers don't flip the same.

#587 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

No idea.

Your game, put the flippers where you want.

Now pay attention. Turn the left flipper all the way up. At that point the plunger is pulled the whole way into the coil.

Right side. Now loosen the pawl nut a tiny bit so you can with force turn the flipper bat. Pull the plunger the whole way in until it stops on the coil stop. Then move the flipper bat where you want it. Tighten pawl nut. Now both flipper should be the same when retracted or up.

#589 4 years ago

Well...

IDK if it's "perfect", but I think I'm coming to realize that nothing is in pinball...

If it's not...it's pretty damn close!

Also, resting position lol ..
Also, notice that TINY little chip on the right side...I'm not happy about it. Idk if it was there before or not, but hopefully the ramp will largely cover it up.

=)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

rightside_up (resized).pngrightside_up (resized).png
#590 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Well...
IDK if it's "perfect", but I think I'm coming to realize that nothing is in pinball...
Also, notice that TINY little chip on the right side...I'm not happy about it. Idk if it was there before or not, but hopefully the ramp will largely cover it up.
=)
[quoted image][quoted image]

If I am understanding still what is going on, I think this might be your issue... I had the same issue when I changed the rubbers. The left flipper "rest" (the metal bar behind the flipper) is closer to the flipper on the left side than on the right. I used some pliers to gently bend it back (that was treacherous) so the flipper could "rest" all the way back. Mine was really bad after the rubber change, yours seems less so, but it looks like that might also be part of the issue.

jjPirates_of_the_Caribbean_Troubleshooting_Tips_Issues___Jersey_Jack_Pinball___Pinside_com (resized).jpgjjPirates_of_the_Caribbean_Troubleshooting_Tips_Issues___Jersey_Jack_Pinball___Pinside_com (resized).jpg
#591 4 years ago

If I am understanding still what is going on, I think this might be your issue... I had the same issue when I changed the rubbers. The left flipper "rest" (the metal bar behind the flipper) is closer to the flipper on the left side than on the right. I used some pliers to gently bend it back (that was treacherous) so the flipper could "rest" all the way back. Mine was really bad after the rubber change, yours seems less so, but it looks like that might also be part of the issue. [quoted image]

Yea... I was starting to obsess over that too and then I said F it, it’s good enough. I’m happy with it!

It’s leagues better than it was.

#592 4 years ago

I mean...when I replace the flipper rubber I can probably even tune it more, but it’s a win for now.

#593 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I mean...when I replace the flipper rubber I can probably even tune it more, but it’s a win for now.

Now put your BP back, play 10 games and get ready to remove it again for the next issue

#594 4 years ago
Quoted from KornFreak28:

Now put your BP back, play 10 games and get ready to remove it again for the next issue

No kidding. The next issue will hopefully be Cliffy’s.

#595 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Well...
=)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Good work! Glad you got this taken care of. Always a learning experience!

#596 4 years ago

Newbie to the Pinball Forum posts world...hi everyone! Just got my POTC LE delivered last week...great game overall but from the very first play I have been having issues with the balls getting stuck in the subway after going in the Map Hole and the Bayou Hole and not being ejected out of the Depths. Machine has to cycle through a few times before the ball is finally ejected out of the Depths. It is especially frustrating when this occurs during the Multiball segments. I posed this question to JJP Support and received the reply of "please see if your game has the blue post pressing up against the subway like in the attached picture." After checking the underside of my playfield I noted that I have a similar post as shown in the JJP photo but mine is clear. The JJP Support response to that was, "I'll alert this to Frank and Steve to see if there is a better answer." Is anyone else experiencing this issue and are there any solutions out there? I made sure the machine is level as per JJP instructions. Thanks in advance for any advice given...

Stan (Ancaster, ON)

pirates subway fix (003) (resized).jpgpirates subway fix (003) (resized).jpg
#597 4 years ago
Quoted from AncasterStan:

Newbie to the Pinball Forum posts world...hi everyone! Just got my POTC LE delivered last week...great game overall but from the very first play I have been having issues with the balls getting stuck in the subway after going in the Map Hole and the Bayou Hole and not being ejected out of the Depths. Machine has to cycle through a few times before the ball is finally ejected out of the Depths. It is especially frustrating when this occurs during the Multiball segments. I posed this question to JJP Support and received the reply of "please see if your game has the blue post pressing up against the subway like in the attached picture." After checking the underside of my playfield I noted that I have a similar post as shown in the JJP photo but mine is clear. The JJP Support response to that was, "I'll alert this to Frank and Steve to see if there is a better answer." Is anyone else experiencing this issue and are there any solutions out there? I made sure the machine is level as per JJP instructions. Thanks in advance for any advice given...
Stan (Ancaster, ON)
[quoted image]

What is the pitch of your playfield (check it with the glass off and a level phone app, or take a picture of the bubble level by the shooter lane).

#598 4 years ago

Might need to adjust the strength of the up kicker in the coil settings. Is it a problem of it trying to kick it multiple times and not succeeding?

#599 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Get used to it. ALL pins need dialing in to play at optimal levels.
I didn't know there was a fire time option on the menu. I would definitely start there.
Open the coin door
press the menu button on the inside of the coin door to get to the system menu
go to settings
go to coil settings
move down on the list until you get to the VERTICAL UP KICKERS, then continue a little more to "Chest Fire Release Time" and increase that by 1

Hi this has worked, I guess I am not used to such a modern complex machine (still old school Williams/Bally etc) and the control panel allows for kicker timings to be adjusted. Thanks as this is now running all perfect. A good piece of engineering and how things have changed.

#600 4 years ago

Where can the Cliffy’s for Pirates be ordered? Couldn’t find the set on Cliffy’s site?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.