8A79C258-2737-4892-A6D4-1D5066382A11 (resized).jpeg
D2C5269F-CC9C-4059-B008-7183A9656384 (resized).jpeg
19CB3A9A-2767-4CD7-AA0D-2EAC9D4E8C1B (resized).jpeg
AD9CE6FE-FBDD-40E0-A404-AF37E2A257CD (resized).jpeg
no light 2 (resized).jpg
no light (resized).jpg
IMG_20220709_120144 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

29 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 71.
#501 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

That's all well and good once I actually get the ship off.

It's not that hard.

To remove completely, below the playfield clip a cable tie or two and unplug a few connectors and three opto connectors coming through a hole below the black pearl. Skip that part to lay it on it's side on the top side of the main playfield, put something down to protect things, like a towel.

Lift playfield up and pull forward and rest on front of cabinet. Behind playfield pull the metal clip off, slide flat metal thing that connects the motor to the black pearl off, and remove the big fat white nylon washer and set somewhere safe.

Between the black pearl and rear wall of the playfield look down, see the 1/8th inch allen head screw - remove it. Grab the black pearl, one hand each side and slide towards rear of game, clearing the two pivot points and lift the whole thing up.

Reverse procedure to put it back in.

LTG : )

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It's not that hard.
To remove completely, below the playfield clip a cable tie or two and unplug a few connectors and three opto connectors coming through a hole below the black pearl. Skip that part to lay it on it's side on the top side of the main playfield, put something down to protect things, like a towel.
Lift playfield up and pull forward and rest on front of cabinet. Behind playfield pull the metal clip off, slide flat metal thing that connects the motor to the black pearl off, and remove the big fat white nylon washer and set somewhere safe.
Between the black pearl and rear wall of the playfield look down, see the 1/8th inch allen head screw - remove it. Grab the black pearl, one hand each side and slide towards rear of game, clearing the two pivot points and lift the whole thing up.
Reverse procedure to put it back in.

The biggest issue if you're removing the ship, is remove the VUK. The ramp is a pain to get back in the same way you had it, and the VUK scrapes against the ship as you're removing/placing it back.

Lloyd needs to portal over to help such things. He kinda knows what he's doing.

#503 4 years ago

Well thanks @ltg.

Idk how late you'll be up, but I'll be up all night trying to get this right so I have a playable game again.

=)

#504 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

That's all well and good once I actually get the ship off.
I can't get to the coil stops otherwise.

You don't need to get to the coil stop to change the linkage. Take off the plate (4) at the front of the flipper coil by removing the two philips screws (9). A 90 degree angle screwdriver would be helpful here, but you can use a racheted 1/4" wrench and a philips bit in a pinch. Slide the coil (18) forward a bit to get it off the coil stop at the other end and angle it, letting you get the linkage (2) shaft into the coil (through the plate, you still need the plate in the chain), then slide the coil back onto the stop, slide the plate back into place, and secure the two screws again. The feed the bracket on the linkage onto the flipper post, adjust and tighten.
flipper-linkage (resized).jpgflipper-linkage (resized).jpg

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You don't need to get to the coil stop to change the linkage. Take off the plate at the front, slide the coil forward a bit to let you get the linkage into the coil (through the plate, you still need the plate in the chain), then slide the coil back onto the stop, slide the plate back into place, and secure. The feed the bracket on the linkage onto the flipper post, adjust and tighten.

Idk how to take off the plate ... that's the whole challenge.

I got 3 zip ties cut so far...

#506 4 years ago

Okay ... I have the three molex connectors and the RJ-45 or w/e disconnected..

Let me consult the manual so I know EXACTLY which colors to disconnect on the right board...

#507 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Okay ... I have the three molex connectors and the RJ-45 or w/e disconnected..
Let me consult the manual so I know EXACTLY which colors to disconnect on the right board...

You might consider PM'ing Lloyd or starting another thread so this one isn't a bunch of commentary.

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You don't need to get to the coil stop to change the linkage. Take off the plate (4) at the front of the flipper coil by removing the two philips screws (9). A 90 degree angle screwdriver would be helpful here, but you can use a racheted 1/4" wrench and a philips bit in a pinch. Slide the coil (18) forward a bit to get it off the coil stop at the other end and angle it, letting you get the linkage (2) shaft into the coil (through the plate, you still need the plate in the chain), then slide the coil back onto the stop, slide the plate back into place, and secure the two screws again. The feed the bracket on the linkage onto the flipper post, adjust and tighten.
[quoted image]

Yea no... I appreciate it, but that's such a difficult angle to get at. I'm practically upside down. I have already snapped the zip ties and almost disconnected everything so we'll ride and die.

#509 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Idk how late you'll be up, but I'll be up all night trying to get this right so I have a playable game again.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/405272384https://www.twitch.tv/videos/405272384

I'm about ready to call it a day.

#510 4 years ago

=)

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#511 4 years ago

Nice work Joseph!

Can you get a shot of the map hole? I wanna see if yours has the t-nut issue also.

Make sure a towel is under the ramp. Can't tell from the photo.

#512 4 years ago

Yea I STILL can't get the flipper assembly rod inside the coil.

I removed the two screws for the metal coil stop ... makes little difference.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Yea I STILL can't get the flipper assembly rod inside the coil.
I removed the two screws for the metal coil stop ... makes little difference.

If you're actually taking off the coil stop, you're on the wrong end of the coil for this job.

#514 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you're actually taking off the coil stop, you're on the wrong end of the coil for this job.

This is what I was referring to for the coil stop:

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#515 4 years ago

Here's my MAP hole pic as requested...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#516 4 years ago

Also, FWIW ..

I made the right flipper pawl nut REALLY tight .. and this is how "high" it flips.

What do you think?

I swear it went higher before ... but idk .. I'll definitely compare it to the left once I get it going...

#517 4 years ago

The more I think about it .. the left was flipping higher ... and I think it was messed up or something only because this is the same flipper (the left) that had the whole unresponsive flipper likely due to the loose roll pin which led to exactly where we are now.

#518 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

This is what I was referring to for the coil stop:[quoted image][quoted image]

This is a coil stop. It's on the other end of the coil:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12390

#519 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This is a coil stop. It's on the other end of the coil:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12390

That explains a lot .. time out ..

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Here's my MAP hole pic as requested...[quoted image]

I definitely wouldn't be in a rush to get the ship back in, as you've got the t-nut issue also, and slightly on the right one also.

Not to mention if you'd like to mylar the chapter select.

I wonder if the deflector being angled as a result, which I'd noticed during the Cliffy installation, helps angle balls away from the t-nuts?

Either way, take your time. All will be done in time.

#521 4 years ago

Okay fair enough... Thanks for the confirmation:

As you can see though on this BP, it's a bit different... I guess I'll have to loosen the 4 screws on the left and on the right. it's essentially one large molded piece..

#522 4 years ago

Just kidding...

I think this is what you are referring to...

OF COURSE the side I need to get to is completely obstructed...

#523 4 years ago

"If you're actually taking off the coil stop, you're on the wrong end of the coil for this job."

Wait...I'm not...

#524 4 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I definitely wouldn't be in a rush to get the ship back in, as you've got the t-nut issue also, and slightly on the right one also.
Not to mention if you'd like to mylar the chapter select.
I wonder if the deflector being angled as a result, which I'd noticed during the Cliffy installation, helps angle balls away from the t-nuts?
Either way, take your time. All will be done in time.

Referring to those little rings on the top left and top right?

#525 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Just kidding...
I think this is what you are referring to...
OF COURSE the side I need to get to is completely obstructed...[quoted image][quoted image]

The coil should just slide forward off the coil stop as it is.

If it's too tight, just clip off the zip tie going over the coil which will let you slide the coil forward and then get the shaft for the linkage into the coil, then put a new zip tie on.

#526 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

Referring to those little rings on the top left and top right?

Yup.

#527 4 years ago

Okay that was the MOST HELL I have ever gone through ...

Check it out guys .. I "know why" the right flipper isn't going as high as the left ... but I don't know how to fix it..

Check it out ...

If you look CLOSELY at the second picture you will see that the LEFT flipper simply has more travel. It's closer to the black rubber in front and you notice that the rod feeding into the coil is longer...or sticking out more.

How to fix this? The left flipper "looks" perfect .. =)

#528 4 years ago

I disconnected the spring just to rule that out.

As you can see in the photo I'm pressing with my thumb on that right flipper and I can't push it anymore. SOMETHING is preventing it from having more travel.

I'm going to be REALLY HAPPY once I solve this.

But I think i had enough for tonight.

Good night!

#529 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

I disconnected the spring just to rule that out.
As you can see in the photo I'm pressing with my thumb on that right flipper and I can't push it anymore. SOMETHING is preventing it from having more travel.
I'm going to be REALLY HAPPY once I solve this.
But I think i had enough for tonight.
Good night!

You just need to adjust the rod connection to the linkage. Basically it's coming to rest on the top before the linkage travels all the way back to the rubber stopper underneath. So loosen the linkage on the flipper shaft *just a little* so there still some resistance, then rotate the flipper within the linkage until when you let go, when the flipper is at rest the linkage is touching the rubber stopper on the underside like you have on the other side. When you have that set, tighten the linkage to the flipper shaft again.

#530 4 years ago

Thanks @vireland.

You kinda lost me at the first sentence. =(

#531 4 years ago

FWIW... the right flipper has a lot more play up and down than the left. If that matters at all.

#532 4 years ago

@vireland

Sounds like you are saying to loosen the paw nut just enough so that there’s resistance and manually line up the right flipper with the left and then tighten and hope the right flipper now rests on the black rubber like the left does.

But I honestly think I’m missing a step somewhere...

#533 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You just need to adjust the rod connection to the linkage. Basically it's coming to rest on the top before the linkage travels all the way back to the rubber stopper underneath. So loosen the linkage on the flipper shaft *just a little* so there still some resistance, then rotate the flipper within the linkage until when you let go, when the flipper is at rest the linkage is touching the rubber stopper on the underside like you have on the other side. When you have that set, tighten the linkage to the flipper shaft again.

Nvm... You didn’t say anything about touching the flipper itself.

I’m on board ... sorta lol

#534 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Wouldn't the MAP2 metal piece of the Cliffy set have covered that T-nut protrusion anyway?

Looking back at your post #2 in this thread, if that is your game it also has the exposed t-nut issue.

A714CC1F-DD31-4B12-BEA1-8998E1FCB717 (resized).pngA714CC1F-DD31-4B12-BEA1-8998E1FCB717 (resized).png
#535 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

Looking back at your post #2 in this thread, if that is your game it also has the exposed t-nut issue.[quoted image]

Yeah, I checked, it does. Looking at where it's drilled, all the jjPotC have to be the same way.

#536 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I checked, it does. Looking at where it's drilled, all the jjPotC have to be the same way.

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to, also. I think it just goes unnoticed until the balls are checked. I have been looking at old pics in the other thread. It looks like they all have it.

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

That’s the conclusion I’ve come to, also. I think it just goes unnoticed until the balls are checked. I have been looking at old pics in the other thread. It looks like they all have it.

Not the case. Neither of my LEs had it nor a friend’s CE.

Another friend with an LE -did- have this issue which I thought was unique to him at the time.

#539 4 years ago

A blessing in disguise as I see it.

The BP flipper issue PROMPTLY halted any additional playing which kept games played to a minimum.

I knew the BP was going to be an ever living bitch. And it was. In many, many ways.

So, once I get that other flipper corrected, I guess I’ll have to look at this MAP hole thing.

But I’m emotionally spent for now so I’ll get to it when I get to it.

#540 4 years ago

Re: the T-nut issue:

I can see fixing it, but is it really causing undue ball damage?

Have you seen all the other things a ball can contact on this game? E.g. even the auto plunger... it is literally two pieces of rounded metal that "bash" the ball into play...

#541 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Have you seen all the other things a ball can contact on this game? E.g. even the auto plunger... it is literally two pieces of rounded metal that "bash" the ball into play...

On mine it was causing huge damage to the ball. It actually caused gouges, nicks, and sharp burrs in the ball. I believe it has to do with the angle that the ball hits the wing on the T-Nut.

#542 4 years ago
Quoted from rs812:

On mine it was causing huge damage to the ball. It actually caused gouges, nicks, and sharp burrs in the ball.

I guess did this damage stop after the fix?

Great news if it did. I need to check my game and balls, I just didn't want to chase down that rabbit hole if it was being caused by normal game play, combined with a "new" game that had some naturally sharp edges here and there (that would dull eventually with ball impacts).

#543 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I guess did this damage stop after the fix?
Great news if it did. I need to check my game and balls, I just didn't want to chase down that rabbit hole if it was being caused by normal game play, combined with a "new" game that had some naturally sharp edges here and there (that would dull eventually with ball impacts).

Seemed to stop it completely. Have lots of plays over the weekend and balls are all gouge free. Before, they were nicked up after about 10 plays.

#544 4 years ago

Ok; just had a look at my balls and they appeared as expected after ~200 plays, BUT my nut protrusion is not as pronounced so that may just be I lucked out there.

#545 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Ok; just had a look at my balls and the appeared as expected after ~200 plays, BUT my nut protrusion is not as pronounced so that may just be I lucked out there.

That's an intense diagnostic quote, haha!

#547 4 years ago
Quoted from joseph5185:

A blessing in disguise as I see it.
The BP flipper issue PROMPTLY halted any additional playing which kept games played to a minimum.
I knew the BP was going to be an ever living bitch. And it was. In many, many ways.
So, once I get that other flipper corrected, I guess I’ll have to look at this MAP hole thing.
But I’m emotionally spent for now so I’ll get to it when I get to it.

Your flipper on the BP just stopped working entirely? I thought it was just short travel that you were having. My right BP flipper has short travel, and I'll probably fix it eventually, but it does not affect gameplay much at all. Certainly not "halting" it. I can make every shot on the BP with my right flipper without issue. If I am mis-remembering your issue I apologize.

#548 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Yea the T-nut thing is a non issue in my book. The auto plunger is just like the T-nut except as you said, literally hammers the ball multiple times every game.

#549 4 years ago

Defying the laws of physics, if I hold the left flipper up to catch the kick out from the mystery hole it swoops through the gate to the left of the flipper and straight down the I hole. With the glass off, I can't see how that gate allows the ball to travel backwards through it, but it does...everytime. Anyone vaguely understand the way this is happening?

#550 4 years ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

Defying the laws of physics, if I hold the left flipper up to catch the kick out from the mystery hole it swoops through the gate to the left of the flipper and straight down the I hole. With the glass off, I can't see how that gate allows the ball to travel backwards through it, but it does...everytime. Anyone vaguely understand the way this is happening?

Maybe the ball is jumping through the hoop like Evil Kneival?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
There are 3,536 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjpirates-of-the-caribbean-troubleshooting-tips-issues/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.