(Topic ID: 200139)

JJP5 = Toy Story Now that POTC is JJP4?

By delt31

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

352D43DF-C6BD-4AD4-B1D1-3C395B4C09F6 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180605-131203_Twitter (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Johnny-Depp-and-Gene-Wilder-as-Willy-Wonka-708171 (resized).jpg
    20180116_152148 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.35.12 AM (resized).png
    larry-blackmon (resized).jpg
    6096E672-F16A-4307-9214-E11EBBB2064A-11463-000009311F4C9190 (resized).jpeg
    Pants (resized).jpg
    os-april-2016-rendering-toy-story-land-at-disney-s-hollywood-studios-in-florida-20160427 (resized).jpg
    0820209sdb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nc_pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#166 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

I've seen a lot of debate about JJPPOTC, and the lack of quotes/music from the movies, actors permission to use their likeness, etc. Got me thinking about Toy Story and not only the actors, but the toy manufacturers. What will Mattel, Hasbro, etc. have to say about using their toy likenesses in a pin?

They won't have anything to say about it. The toy companies themselves license from Disney. Even if they did have an opinion they would be all for it - they love to see ancillary things that drive interest in the products where they hold a license.

As far as interest.... while the die-hard pinballers may hate the theme, it will attract major interest within the toy industry. Toy Story = Nostalgia and outside of Mickey and Minnie it is might be Disney's most valuable license (although the princesses are also up there). I would expect to see a TS game at locations that never before had a machine. It is a game that will drive interest back into pinball.

#174 6 years ago

If they want to use anything from Toy Story 4 then the game will be under embargo until *about* a month before the movie is released.

Comparing it to Teletubbies and Barney is way off base. Toy Story is a huge license for Disney.... there is a reason they just spent multiple-billions of dollars creating "Toy Story Land" at Disney Hollywood Studios. The difference in the value of a "Teletubbies" from "Toy Story" is like the difference between a '63 Corvette and a Chevy Nova....

A game would fall under the Disney Consumer Products division. Which already has experience with Pinball... I am sure they were active with the Stern Wars release (and possibly with everything Marvel), but they would be heavily involved in Toy Story. Also, I have some history with DCP... they really won't give a hoot about collectors - they will want something that will appeal to the masses. They assign a monetary value to the ability to drive brand awareness and interactions with the brand (This is why they run Disney Jr. as a break-even business). They will want a beautiful game, lots of toys, fun call-outs, and something that will be in every pizza shop, and mall, in the country. If some 40-60 year old men want to buy it to stick in their basement that will be fine with them, but that certainly is not what they will be after. Remember the demo for "Toy Story" is different than Marvel and certainly different than "Star Wars". Toy Story skews younger and more female.

If they do a Toy Story game.... another one to watch out for would be "The Incredibles"

#176 6 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

After hearing Keefer's comments about working with Disney on the POTC game (he and Eric wanted to scrap the license and make an un-licensed Pirates game, kind of like MM theme-wise) I'm much more skeptical about how many assets they can put into a Toy Story game. If Depp wanted "mid six figures" to include any clips of him in the POTC game I can imagine what Tom Hanks will want, and at least for POTC Disney didn't have ownership of those assets.

I agree, I think Toy Story would be much more difficult. However, my guess is that all of the voice talent already signed over all of their rights when they did the movie. There are several ways the actors contracts can work - they can either have a license cut of their derivative work or it could be included in their standard payment... perhaps with the royalty predetermined. Typically, (I think) most of the toy companies work directly with the licensor since the actor already had the derivative work baked into their original contract- I'll double check that one though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider nc_pin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp5-toy-story-now-that-potc-is-jjp4?tu=nc_pin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.