(Topic ID: 200139)

JJP5 = Toy Story Now that POTC is JJP4?

By delt31

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

352D43DF-C6BD-4AD4-B1D1-3C395B4C09F6 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20180605-131203_Twitter (resized).jpg
    maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    Johnny-Depp-and-Gene-Wilder-as-Willy-Wonka-708171 (resized).jpg
    20180116_152148 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.35.12 AM (resized).png
    larry-blackmon (resized).jpg
    6096E672-F16A-4307-9214-E11EBBB2064A-11463-000009311F4C9190 (resized).jpeg
    Pants (resized).jpg
    os-april-2016-rendering-toy-story-land-at-disney-s-hollywood-studios-in-florida-20160427 (resized).jpg
    0820209sdb (resized).jpg
    There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.
    #101 6 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

I like the style of Burton's Alice, but as a theme I think it's even lesser than PoTC, in my view anyway. The first film made good money, the second film kind of tanked.
    At least as POTC goes, those films- at least the first trilogy- were undeniably blockbusters. And the first was actually critically acclaimed. Burton didn't even return for the second Alice.
    Jack has to think about marketability for long term sales. When he started Hobbit- his least financially successful effort to date- he had good reason to believe the Trilogy would have a massive audience.
    Don't think he could say the same for Alice.

Agreed. While i love the idea of AiW as a JJP game (and have said it would be perfect for them before), the Burton version would be a turn off to a lot of people (myself included). Its actually one of the few ways they could do it that would make me pretty much uninterested in the title. They should really stick to original and unlicensed for this one, imo.

#102 6 years ago

Is it bad that I'm not really that excited over JJP#5 which is most likely Pat's game (Toy Story), but instead can't wait to see what Eric has in store for his next game! He really just brings a lot of excitement and innovation to a hobby that has been lacking in those departments lately. Hopefully POTC will inspire others' to step up their game!

#103 6 years ago

Disneyland theme is my #1 dream theme followed by Toy Story for my #2 theme. I think this title will be a huge hit with Disney fans and there are tens of millions of us. If this is JJP #5 then it will likely be ready to ship 4-6 month prior to the the next movie coming out. That seems perfect.

#104 6 years ago
    Quoted from cheshirefilms:

Wish they'd fastrack Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (Gene Wilder) instead-
    Save Toy Story for when the final Toy Story comes- if the next one is the last one?
    That's been the rumor to be JJP #6 for the longest time now it seems.

Wait, I thought Stern had Willy Wonka through Kapow? If JJP has it that would be awesome. Actually, the timing of putting WW out before Toy Story would be better as it would move Toy Story closer to the movie's 2019 release.

It's still a shame Stern got Princess Bride, though...

#105 6 years ago

Make a poll for toy story.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

A JJP Princess Bride would be pretty epic.

#107 6 years ago

JJP5=Toy Story=5 terrible themes in a row.

#108 6 years ago

^^^ depends on who you ask.

#109 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

JJP5=Toy Story=5 terrible themes in a row.

You crack me up Hazoff!

I'm not disagreeing with you on 4 of the 5

What's your feeling on Muppets

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from mesmashu:

Looking forward to Toy Story. Muppets... not so much. Is there really a market for Muppets?

Absolutely. They're iconic, funny and beloved characters. I saw the Muppets at the Hollywood Bowl about a month ago - 18,000 people there...and that was just 1 of 3 sold out shows. If someone doesn't like the Muppets, I kinda have to be skeptical of them as a person lol

#111 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Wait, I thought Stern had Willy Wonka through Kapow? If JJP has it that would be awesome. Actually, the timing of putting WW out before Toy Story would be better as it would move Toy Story closer to the movie's 2019 release.

If JJP releases 1 game a year. Toy story would realistically be in the hands out of customers in April of 2019. If they announce it much like jjpotc. I don’t know how they do things. But even if 1000 ppl wanted in on toy story. It would take a long time for ppl to get their games. I’m guessing most close to or after the movie get released

#112 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballophobe:

If JJP releases 1 game a year. Toy story would realistically be in the hands out of customers in April of 2019. If they announce it much like jjpotc. I don’t know how they do things. But even if 1000 ppl wanted in on toy story. It would take a long time for ppl to get their games. I’m guessing most close to or after the movie get released

They'll be into 2 games a year by 2018, which Jack has been talking about as a goal. Moving jPotC release up by 3 months compared to Dialed In pretty much confirms that. So jPotC out Mar 2018, JJP#5 announced Spring (Golden State Pinball Festival?) then released in Winter 2018. They'll basically be interleaving announcements and releases.

#113 6 years ago

I don't think JJP will ever get to more than 1 release per yr, nor should they

The effort and detail that goes into their pins won't allow it unless they start compromising like Stern

Also, the market can't sustain multiple $10k pin releases year after year. Not gonna happen

And they will have the ability to re run Woz and DI to fill the gaps

They can always have a pin in the bullpen ready to go if they release a sales stinker

#114 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

What's your feeling on Muppets

Not a good feeling at all Ice.

#115 6 years ago

After seeing what JJP did with POTC I would sell a kidney to get a JJP Back to the Future and JJP James Bond.

#116 6 years ago
    Quoted from J85M:

After seeing what JJP did with POTC I would sell a kidney to get a JJP Back to the Future and JJP James Bond.

Those are two home runs for sure. I'd take Bond #1

Didn't somebody say they tried on Bond but it was too difficult with all the different Bond characters and licensing?

BTTF seems like a JJP no brainer.

If i ever see a Muppets pin come out I'm putting most of my lineup up for sale, because that's when I'll know the end is near!

#117 6 years ago

Toy Story would be cool, but I've always wondered what a full fledged Disney theme pin would look like.

#118 6 years ago

Assuming toy story is next, they better get the full license rights to all video and sounds. Potc can be pulled off with generic pirate sounds, but not toy story.

*****Jjp, please make sure you get the full toy story. Please, please, please pay for the full license this next time.*****

#119 6 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Assuming toy story is next, they better get the full license rights to all video and sounds. Potc can be pulled off with generic pirate sounds, but not toy story.
    *****Jjp, please make sure you get the full toy story. Please, please, please pay for the full license this next time.*****

There's no reason they wouldn't. Animation is much different than live action. Not only should they be able to get all existing animation, but probably also CG assets to create anything custom that they need. Tom Hanks' bro can do custom Woody voices...and it would be great to get some other custom voices as well, even if they're sound-alikes. Don Rickles is gone, but a sound alike for Mr. Potato Head to insult you as you play would be really funny.

Sometimes it's not about payment...it's about there being layers of loopholes, production companies, agents, etc that almost make it impossible. Pirates is a Disney movie, but produced by Jerry Bruckheimer Productions...it was probably just a huge convoluted mess to figure out rights issues for everything.

#120 6 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Those are two home runs for sure. I'd take Bond #1
    Didn't somebody say they tried on Bond but it was too difficult with all the different Bond characters and licensing?
    BTTF seems like a JJP no brainer.
    If i ever see a Muppets pin come out I'm putting most of my lineup up for sale, because that's when I'll know the end is near!

Does anyone know for sure that a company has the BTTF pinball license or is it currently still up for grabs?

#121 6 years ago

I would not buy a toy Story (even though I did buy a screenwriting seminar on the emotion core of Pixar, and agree they are well written films)

Willy Wonka much more likely, just because it seems psychedelic in some way. BTTF more likely as well.

I wasn't high on POTC's theme but after seeing the reveal videos I will probably order one - as my single pin.

#122 6 years ago

Only thing I didnt like about JJPOTC is that it wasn’t Toy Story and I’m a little worried they won’t release 2 Disney pins in a row. I hope it’s Toy Story.

I’m in on POTC, even though it’s $500 more than last year (new JJP investors) and they still didn’t get Jack Sparrow or the Hans Zimmer music on the license.

#123 6 years ago

Wouldn't a widebody naturally cost more than standard? Especially since it has to be filled with more elements.

#124 6 years ago
    Quoted from Vdrums:

Wouldn't a widebody naturally cost more than standard? Especially since it has to be filled with more elements.

$500-$1,000 more than Hobbit, which was last year and also a wide body. Dialed In was this year.

#125 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

Disneyland theme is my #1 dream theme followed by Toy Story for my #2 theme. I think this title will be a huge hit with Disney fans and there are tens of millions of us.

A Disneyland themed pin could be a lot of fun. Hell, there is enough material in the Haunted Mansion alone to do a cool game.

#126 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

They'll be into 2 games a year by 2018, which Jack has been talking about as a goal. Moving jPotC release up by 3 months compared to Dialed In pretty much confirms that. So jPotC out Mar 2018, JJP#5 announced Spring (Golden State Pinball Festival?) then released in Winter 2018. They'll basically be interleaving announcements and releases.

If that pans out and toy story gets announced. That would be a great edition for the holidays.

Can you imagine having all the family and friends around over the holidays and everyone playing toy story.

#127 6 years ago

I personally think toy story will be there biggest seller if it happens. The appeal is huge (even if it's not my theme of choice I can acknowledge that).

#128 6 years ago

Yes, but it better include voices and video. The charm is all in the characters and voices.

While JJPOTC looks to be an awesome pin for pinball enthusiasts, I find the lack of incorporation of movie video and voice (some great one-liners) disappointing as a someone that does really like the original Disney ride and movies (even if they petered out towards the end). I'll probably keep my Stern POTC to which I have added to movie theme music and it already has an excellent Captain Jack soundalike. And, frankly, although I might appreciate the JJP version and play it anywhere I see it, at home my family just wants to sink the ship and kill the Kraken. It's not going to be worth 2X as much money to me or my family to own and stuff it in my basement. For the cost difference, I just put a home theater in my basement instead.

#129 6 years ago
    Quoted from tbanthony:

Yes, but it better include voices and video. The charm is all in the characters and voices.
    While JJPOTC looks to be an awesome pin for pinball enthusiasts, I find the lack of incorporation of movie video and voice (some great one-liners) disappointing as a someone that does really like the original Disney ride and movies (even if they petered out towards the end). I'll probably keep my Stern POTC to which I have added to movie theme music and it already has an excellent Captain Jack soundalike. And, frankly, although I might appreciate the JJP version and play it anywhere I see it, at home my family just wants to sink the ship and kill the Kraken. It's not going to be worth 2X as much money to me or my family to own and stuff it in my basement. For the cost difference, I just put a home theater in my basement instead.

At 9K plus, it better have the original score and real voices.

#130 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

At 9K plus, it better have the original score and real voices.

It's been posted before. The 23 actors and actresses own the rights to their audio and video. I would imagine it would be huge costs and near impossible to get many of them and Disney involved on each step along the way too.

So there is things they can use like their image, and things they can't use.

LTG : )

#131 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's been posted before. The 23 actors and actresses own the rights to their audio and video. I would imagine it would be huge costs and near impossible to get many of them and Disney involved on each step along the way too.

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I just can't justify spending 9.5K when that type of content is missing.

I am sure plenty of other people will disagree with my asssessment so I doubt anyone will miss money.

#132 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I don't disagree with what you are saying. I just can't justify spending 9.5K when that type of content is missing.
    I am sure plenty of other people will disagree so I doubt anyone will miss money.

If they don't get voices, etc that's a bigger deal with toy story I would think than POTC. No one wants to hear JD talk anyway!

#133 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Depends on their contract. Johnny Depp? Yes, I can see him having some control over that. The midget pirate? The two buffoon pirates? No way. The studio usually controls most assets in the film.

#134 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

The studio usually controls most assets in the film.

And this situation with Disney is different.

But what do I know. Read Steve's response to your post in the other thread.

#135 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And this situation with Disney is different.
    But what do I know. Read Steve's response to your post in the other thread.

You wanted me to read a one sentence meaningless reply for clarity?

#136 6 years ago
    Quoted from Sinestro:

You wanted me to read a one sentence meaningless reply for clarity?

Works for me.

#137 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

There's no reason they wouldn't. Animation is much different than live action. Not only should they be able to get all existing animation, but probably also CG assets to create anything custom that they need. Tom Hanks' bro can do custom Woody voices...and it would be great to get some other custom voices as well, even if they're sound-alikes. Don Rickles is gone, but a sound alike for Mr. Potato Head to insult you as you play would be really funny.
    Sometimes it's not about payment...it's about there being layers of loopholes, production companies, agents, etc that almost make it impossible. Pirates is a Disney movie, but produced by Jerry Bruckheimer Productions...it was probably just a huge convoluted mess to figure out rights issues for everything.

I bet Tim Allen would do some custom Buzz.Probaly would just love being part of this venture.I know one thing for sure I will be inline for a LE

#138 6 years ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

I bet Tim Allen would do some custom Buzz. Probaly would just love being part of this venture.

Yeah, I'll bet Tim Allen is pretty cheap these days. Custom Tom Hanks speech would be awesome, but he's still got a few things on the go ...

#139 6 years ago

In germany we have our own synchronously speaker and thats how Tim allen sounds with german speech

And thats how buzzlightyear sounds

So for me original voices are not necessary but nice too have

#140 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Yeah, I'll bet Tim Allen is pretty cheap these days. Custom Tom Hanks speech would be awesome, but he's still got a few things on the go ...

Tom's brother does a great Buzz and has done a LOT of Toy Story product work.

#141 6 years ago

I assume lawlor wouldnt do toy story.... so who it up next as designer?

#142 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't hold your breath on seeing Pirates early next year. I'm still waiting for my dialed in. I was also told they're still working on DI orders from last October.

#143 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Lawlor is doing JJP5. It's been confirmed.

#144 6 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Don't hold your breath on seeing Pirates early next year. I'm still waiting for my dialed in. I was also told they're still working on DI orders from last October.

We got our DI back in May, they've been shipping for a while. I'm sure it won't be full production on 2018 machine #2, but I'm reasonably confident 2018 will see 2 brand new new JJP shipping (jPotC and JJP#5), which is great.

#145 6 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Tom Hanks Brother does all of the voiceover work for Tom. He did custom voice work for all of the Toy Story Videogames.

2 weeks later
    #146 6 years ago

I just watched all 3 toy story movies again. Damn what a great franchise. I can only imagine how well jack can make a pin with all the toy story characters. I’m almost thinking he might even leave some characters out because there are so many.

Would love to do “the claw” and it would be awesome if lotso was in and he smelled like strawberries.

#147 6 years ago
    Quoted from lordloss:

Why not? Seem like a perfect match since he likes doing family friendly themes.

#148 6 years ago

I would love to see a talking Mr. Potato head on the playfield. Rudy, Red and Ted can be a little creepy, Mr. Potato Head would lose that creepy/weird vibe.

4 weeks later
    #149 6 years ago

There are so many things they can do with a Toy Story Machine. Design it as, "Andy's room" there are so many amazing ideas they can come up with. Have to shoot the ball is Woody's rope loop. Do something to make Buzz Lightyear fly, bounce ball off slinky the dog. They can just make this machine look amazing. Have a screen game where you have to use a grabber to pick up alien toys from grabber machine. Oh, the ideas are endless!!!!

#150 6 years ago
    Quoted from tmntrule999:

There are so many things they can do with a Toy Story Machine. Design it as, "Andy's room" there are so many amazing ideas they can come up with. Have to shoot the ball is Woody's rope loop. Do something to make Buzz Lightyear fly, bounce ball off slinky the dog. They can just make this machine look amazing. Have a screen game where you have to use a grabber to pick up alien toys from grabber machine. Oh, the ideas are endless!!!!

Why a screen game while there is a steel ball right onto the playfield that can be picked up?

There are 320 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp5-toy-story-now-that-potc-is-jjp4/page/3?hl=joey__p__1966 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.