1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 916 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by RichieWrench
  • Topic is favorited by 30 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 229 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

F503E7F2-C6F2-40AE-9286-BC2929C69721 (resized).jpeg
Richie_Wrench_02-01 (resized).jpg
IMG_2696 (resized).jpeg
5ECB8955-83EC-4148-90ED-7CAFE52CAE04 (resized).jpeg
D9584B16-5D01-4C37-B2F9-2F6C4F12E9D2 (resized).jpeg
EFFA658F-5A67-4DE7-B118-15315FEF96D9 (resized).jpeg
90 (resized).jpeg
Richie Wrench Color (resized).jpg
wonka.JPG
Richie Wrench Illustration Inks B (resized).jpg
C42C74E3-35E9-4C0B-87C2-1DB8A06EDC37 (resized).jpeg
31CABA93-CC57-476B-8408-C42B6AB42EB4 (resized).jpeg
0B46BCB0-A5AE-4213-883C-DCECF1D28FE4 (resized).jpeg
C15C0AA0-900A-4A42-97F0-D503FBFAB35D (resized).jpeg
ball through fix.jpg
wonka_opto5error (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 1 year ago
Quoted from harryhoudini:

Is there a comparison chart somewhere (I can't find a similar one to POTC or WOZ now but I am sure I saw it). I am wondering if much of the playfield/toys/plastics will be different on the CE. I played Wonka Friday at NWPAS and was a bit underwhelmed by the build quality or more like the use of graphiced plastics in place of actual moulded pieces. There is a plastic "box" over the left side ramp near the lanes that I can't figure out what it is but it's a plastic nightmare. The gobstopper shot looks stupidly basic (a metal plate with a big blue rubber bumper on it?). I just feel like they sort of shit the bed when it comes to really getting the JJP moneys worth kind of value.
Also, is it just me or is the top right flipper hard as heck to see? My wife and I had to crane our necks each time the ball went up there to try and see the flipper hitting the ball.

The problem is it had to follow jjPotC, which made it look especially boring and unimaginative. Not making the CE extra-special for the crazy money is a sin.

#107 1 year ago
Quoted from adborto:

Honestly by far the best value out there right now in my opinion has to be American Pinball.

Losing 20-25% of its value in a year is not a great value. Houdinis routinely sell for $5,000-ish nowadays. Value is not just purchase price but resale value, too. AP is not the best value in pinball overall.

#112 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinballomatic:

The CEs are not last in line. The build model for wonka CE is the same as DI and potc. After some LE and more standards are made, all will stop and ONLY CE models will be built up to a certain number probably determined by how many have been ordered by that point with a max of 500 total, then back to SE and LEs again. I predict CEs will be on the line long long before the weather turns cold this year.

But no special art package like jjPotC is a downer.

#118 1 year ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Maybe but its their first game and was too tight for some people. Quality and deep game play is how I value a pin because I hold on to them for awhile. Don't forget its the same guy who did WOZ and took what he learned from JJP.

What the market values and what you personally value is a totally different conversation. The market does not view AP as a good value as evidenced by the relatively severe depreciation.

1 month later
#161 11 months ago
Quoted from seenev:

I have it on good authority that the CE is exactly like the LE except it comes 5 extra Oompa loompa camera guys so you can break it and fix it on the same day.

I heard the CE only had one extra Oompa Loompa cameraman over the LE, but both of the cameramen have been upgraded to fully motion-tracking cameras that will record your game from inside the game at two angles and upload them to your social media automatically.

1 week later
#179 10 months ago
Quoted from Georgeh:

Does anyone know when we will know what’s happening

Wild guess, but Richie Wrench will likely be the leading indicator.

#211 10 months ago
Quoted from RichieWrench:

Not really 3 AM - But I was going to text Joe and let him know about the prodcast....That way he will appreciate me letting him know before it goes public.
Yeah .....
I think he would be okay with that.....

Can't you just goose his shock collar remotely?

1 week later
#216 10 months ago

Wonder If I could sell these?????[quoted image]

Isn't that arcade cabinet company out of business?

1 week later
#231 9 months ago

I was told by a little birdie that it looks great that it is coming soon for the details. That is all that I was told. That is looks amazing and the features would make all the CE owners proud and worth the wait.

Which begs the question...are you back in?

1 week later
#279 9 months ago

I wonder why Jack doesn't do yelobird's press and cure method on all the playfields before they are assembled and then cover with mylar rings to make the areas around holes as durable as they can be? It'd be WAY easier to do it with a blank PF.

3 weeks later
#353 8 months ago

Guess jjPotC is still the high-water mark for JJP toppers. Boring topper on this.

Fingers crossed that Eric is pushing for a really cool interactive topper for jjGnR and not another PETG or Lucite screen print with color changing LEDs.

#355 8 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Agreed. While I think the CE looks nice and buyers will have a wonderful game I am now solidly content I downgraded of sorts to the LE. I do agree I think Eric really spoiled us with the POTC CE offering and actual limited supply. Be hard to top that one in my opinion.

Yeah, it's a shame that cool, theme-integrated, interactive toppers (and no, I don't count color changes as interactivity) are becoming a rarity.

High water marks for toppers (no particular order):
AfmRLE - City with raging alien and saucers, fully interactive - FANTASTIC
jjPotCCE - ship in a bottle - Very cool
Game of Thrones - Castle with interactive dragon and lit, interactive house sigils - Excellent

And...that's about it. Runner-ups are mostly a sad lot: BM'66 doesn't DO much. Ghostbusters is wasted. Munsters is on theme, but too narrow in execution and essentially plastic standups with a clock. KISS - on-theme, but WHY? There's a lit KISS on the backglass IMMEDIATELY BELOW IT. Star Wars MAY be cool someday, but when it ever ships will anyone care? MBr - back to boring, static topper land - a big fall from AfMr.

And then you have the boring/crappy screen printed PETG which covers most of the rest of what is supposed to pass as a topper.

#375 8 months ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

and POTC toppers are crap....

I was talking about the jjPotC CE topper. It's one of the best.

#376 8 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

Pinside is never happy.

Wait, so you're unhappy with pinside being unhappy?

I knew you seemed at home here!

#382 8 months ago
Quoted from TonyScoots:

CE-LE
Love the CE[quoted image]

The differences are too subtle aside from the blanket of red.

The LE should be, to borrow a phrase, "veery NICE!" but the CE should be "Wawaweewa.......High Five!"

#394 8 months ago
Quoted from zaphX:

I’m still stinging from not getting POTC CE so I’m doing it regardless.

Yeah, I'm kinda kicking myself on that one, too. Even for the route, we should have brought in the jjPotC CE (so one day it would be mine, muhahaha...)

#416 8 months ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just send him a powder coated toilet seat! Sadly I suspect he already has one....

Vacuum-metalized chrome or gold.

#427 8 months ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Hopefully Jack realizes for him to sell 500 CE's, he's going to have to make it uniquely limited from the other models offered. Hopefully he does so with guns and roses.

I have faith in Eric based on his jjPotC work. Pre-release, he got bashed so hard with discgate and chestgate, but it turned out to be one of the most amazing debut efforts in pinball EVER. It's PACKED with great ideas. Like I've said a few times, the last few pins (Wonka most of all) have shown that Lawlor is out of innovation gas. Eric has a tall hurdle to get over to beat his jjPotC effort, but jjGnR has the potential to be fantastic if he does it.

#430 8 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Your opinion but i much prefer my wonka le over my potc le. I perfer the way wonka shoots and the rules more. Not to take anything away from potc as its amazingly awesome and has some neat stuff /toys but wonka is just more fun for the family and i... but those and dile are probably my favorite pins ever as of now.

If those are your two favorite pins, sounds like you're a lawlor fan. Nothing wrong with that, he has a genius-level portfolio. I'm just tired of the same or very similar Lawlor over and over NOW. He's been doing some of the same things since the dawn of the 1990s - precisely because they WORK. But it just feels stale to me 30 years later to see the same recycled design elements or little tweaks. Give me crazy. Outlaw the italian bottom. mix it up. Make these designers work to make some truly new elements.

#474 8 months ago
Quoted from seenev:

If they're going to make an autographed plaque a big selling point, can't they make a plaque with a better design? Maybe have spaces for each signature with their name and role printed underneath and their picture beside it. The game looks nice overall but the CE feels kind of lazy.

The CE topper is the definition of lazy. It'd be sad on a Stern Premium, let alone a CE costing $5,000 more. Really uncharacteristically terrible work for JJP. I can't believe they released THAT as the CE topper. Delaying the topper until a suitably impressive one was approved and showing/shipping nothing there would have been better than that.

#479 8 months ago
Quoted from whitey:

CGC should school JJP on toppers !!!

I dunno. The CE jjPotC ship in a bottle with the animation was one of the best toppers made by any manufacturer. On theme, and cool action. Easily top 10 toppers ever, maybe in the top 5, but that's literally the ONLY good JJP topper released.

JJP clearly KNOWS how to make good toppers, they just aren't doing it. And they're leaving money on the table as a result. If they made a great topper for the CE and a slightly less great version you could BUY for the LE, they would likely sell a lot of them to LE owners and toppers have so few moving parts they're almost pure profit.

Don't get it. At all.

#486 8 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Really surprised how many really care so much about toppers. I actually dont care for them and am completely happy without having them. If it comes with something thats cool ill use it ... but i dont go out of my way to get them. The game is on the playfield and thats where i want the bom spent.

AfMr LE's topper really is a great example of how a topper can enhance the game itself. It's a better experience with the topper alien raging and shaking when you make shots and the colors changing. More toppers need this level of interactivity at a base level.

#506 8 months ago

YES -- The freakin coin door.....
I have been saying this for like YEARS!!!!!!!!!
But.....I am okay -- Not going to freak out -- Staying Calm......

Given that jjGnR trim will almost surely be some shade(s) of black, a matching coin door is already in the plan.

3 months later
#868 5 months ago

So -- Little off topic but Wanted to share this on the page -- But I will post it on a seperate subject Line - but this is for my fans (few that I have that dont think that I am nuts)
Done by Brian Allen - Amazing
Its in the coloring stage now
We will do something with this and I am open to ideas - Like T-shirts or posters or stickers, etc -- So -- Here is where I am going with this - I will pay for the these to be made and not ask for anything in return and all proceeds will go to a nice charity cause - Pinball related (Project Pinball) or JDRF -- Most Likely BOTH.
We are looking to do do 6 project with Brian Allen over the new couple years and this is the first one with the sewer monsters.
I see Richie Wrench fighting some type of creature, Each one different from another. Then at the end I will do a 7th project with Brian Allen where Richie is battling all 6 creatures or something along that line.
This is the first approved sketch and let me know what you think. I am hoping to have this done well in time for the Expo and will have items for sale on this site soon and all proceeds go to charity.[quoted image]

Richie Wrench needs to look more heroic, IMO. In this he looks like a crazed part of the problem. Just needs some adjustment to the facial expression and it will read more like I think you intend. Other than that tonal issue, the quality of the art is great. Should be a great series.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Windermere, FL
$ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 9,500.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside