Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by J_Striker
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has info on a jjp weak flipper.

It's the castle flipper. Upper left.

We had a coil lock on. Burning fuses and the coil was done. So I replaced the two transistors on the board correlating to the high and low voltage on that flipper. Then replaced the coil with an approved williams replacement.

Now we can flip the flipper bat but it is super weak.

Any suggestions? I verified continuity from the board connector to the coil on the hv line. Repinnes the connectors if they appeared worn. The coil was a brand new 11629.

The eos is normally open and verified it's not shorted at the switch.

Thanks for any help

Brian

#2 6 years ago

Sure you wired the coil correctly?

Checked the flipper in flipper test?

Resistance from coil to transistor?

#3 6 years ago

IN test mode it would do the low voltage hold, and on the high voltage test it just hummed or did nothing. The flipper wouldn't move. I took a picture and wired the replacement coil the same. As the old coil. Different brands. Would it need the high voltage line wired to an outer lug? It's on the center lug right now.

I did not measure resistance or know what to look for with transistors. I swapped out with irl540n as tech support advised. What are normal parameters ? What makes the resistance.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Brinard:

IN test mode it would do the low voltage hold, and on the high voltage test it just hummed or did nothing. The flipper wouldn't move. I took a picture and wired the replacement coil the same. As the old coil. Different brands. Would it need the high voltage line wired to an outer lug? It's on the center lug right now.
I did not measure resistance or know what to look for with transistors. I swapped out with irl540n as tech support advised. What are normal parameters ? What makes the resistance.

Just measure resistance from the lug on the flipper to the tab of the transistor. Should be pretty low as they're directly connected. At least that's how it works with TIPs. If it's high, you might have a burnt connector or wire.

#5 6 years ago

NEVER assume a replacement coil will terminate the wires to the same lugs.

Inspect both coils and determine which wire is which. Are there diodes? If so, which way are they facing?

Most (if not all) WMS coils I have seen have one of the outside lugs as the 50V "hot" connection. Connecting the supply voltage to the middle lug doesn't sound right to me.

Be very careful fiddling with this as you can cause a LOT of damage to the driver board by incorrectly connecting coils.

#6 6 years ago

I had an issue with the castle flipper being weak. I then noticed it didn't return fully after flipping it and found a broken return spring.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Spg101:

I had an issue with the castle flipper being weak. I then noticed it didn't return fully after flipping it and found a broken return spring.

Ditto for me.

#8 6 years ago

Are you in weak flipper mode from the crystal ball?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jjp-woz-weak-flipper?hl=spg101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.